Food for thought: Who pays if you are "quarantined"?

Timmay77

I'm curious to know if they are charging for the actual test to see if you are infected. Is CDC providing this for free or charging for this?  I'm Canadian so would I still get the same medival services and tests on US waters? 

Yes, it may be in the contract that they have the right to charge you, but I don’t think they actually would. Even though Princess seems to be having the only issues right now, I don’t think any of those passengers were charged extra for their days spent on the ship in quarantine. Just like when cruises get held up for extra days due to weather, those passengers aren’t charged the extra days. This is also not the cruise lines’ fault, and those passengers chose to sail during hurricane season. It’s totally within the cruise lines’ right to do so, but they wouldn’t. The extra costs the cruise lines would absorb for days quarantined are, in reality, a drop in the bucket for these multi-billion dollar companies.

So if you don’t mind the possibility of being quarantined (and if you’re not traveling on Princess [emoji23]), just go on your cruise and don’t worry about the possibility of being charged...it’s unlikely to happen.

...or don’t go, and free up deck and bar space for the rest of us [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, it may be in the contract that they have the right to charge you, but I don’t think they actually would. Even though Princess seems to be having the only issues right now, I don’t think any of those passengers were charged extra for their days spent on the ship in quarantine. Just like when cruises get held up for extra days due to weather, those passengers aren’t charged the extra days. This is also not the cruise lines’ fault, and those passengers chose to sail during hurricane season. It’s totally within the cruise lines’ right to do so, but they wouldn’t. The extra costs the cruise lines would absorb for days quarantined are, in reality, a drop in the bucket for these multi-billion dollar companies.

So if you don’t mind the possibility of being quarantined (and if you’re not traveling on Princess [emoji23]), just go on your cruise and don’t worry about the possibility of being charged...it’s unlikely to happen.

...or don’t go, and free up deck and bar space for the rest of us [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

9 hours ago, Joyce898 said:

I'm curious to know if they are charging for the actual test to see if you are infected. Is CDC providing this for free or charging for this?  I'm Canadian so would I still get the same medival services and tests on US waters? 

I'm not sure anyone knows at this point. I've seen articles about people being charged $3,000 for a coronavirus test. I've seen articles where the charges were absorbed by the hospital instead. Last thing I heard was from Pence saying that private insurance would cover the test as necessary medical testing. So that leads me to believe that, at least if you are insured, there are charges for the tests. If you were Canadian I would be traveling with medical trip insurance under any circumstances. 

10 hours ago, Joyce898 said:

I mean, the US health care system is bad, but I'm not sure that I'd call it 'medieval'  😉

On 3/10/2020 at 7:20 AM, erdoran said:

do you disagree that some price range should be included in the FAQ, whether it is a percentage of your cruise price/day, some amount, etc, rather than this blank check?

I agree! However, I cant see them putting in the FAQ because they dont want to draw attention to the possibility. It also looks bad that they would even charge. NCL stock is down to about $15. If they post Quarantine prices in FAQ it goes to 0 fast. Just my 2 cents.

They are saying that if you are removed from the ship to be quarantined that is on YOU and not on the cruise line.  Is the US govt charging for quarantines from Grand Princess?  I honestly don't know.  Maybe not.  What are they going to do if this continues to happen however?  Contracts exist for a reason and people need to really understand what the possibilities they face are.  Do you think NCL gives a rats ass about PR if they hold to their contract? This is not some magical freebie 2-4 week extra stay somewhere.  No travel insurance I know of will cover quarantine since this is a known event and WHO listed as pandemic.  Could you afford your savings wiped out for a quarantine? Do you live in a work to right state and CHOSE to get on a ship despite warnings; don't go thinking FMLA will cover you out of work in that case.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

They are saying that if you are removed from the ship to be quarantined that is on YOU and not on the cruise line.  Is the US govt charging for quarantines from Grand Princess?  I honestly don't know.  Maybe not.  What are they going to do if this continues to happen however?  Contracts exist for a reason and people need to really understand what the possibilities they face are.  Do you think NCL gives a rats ass about PR if they hold to their contract? This is not some magical freebie 2-4 week extra stay somewhere.  No travel insurance I know of will cover quarantine since this is a known event and WHO listed as pandemic.  Could you afford your savings wiped out for a quarantine? Do you live in a work to right state and CHOSE to get on a ship despite warnings; don't go thinking FMLA will cover you out of work in that case.  

??  The contract clearly states if you are on board the vessel, not after being removed.

Don’t cruise.  Period.  Read this article and don’t blow it off.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

But to address the question - It’s highly probable if you bought your insurance before Jan 20, 2020 you have some Coronavirus coverage, at least that specific event isn’t excluded.  You have to look for pandemic exclusions instead.  Or ask your insurance company, for the most part I think they’ll answer honestly.

But why in the world would you put yourself in a position where you may need to be quarantined?  Is a single cruise or cruise fare worth your life or your family’s life?  Even if you aren’t infected, or you have a mild case, what about the others you infect or contribute to the spread in your area?  Just STAY HOME!  It’s TEMPORARY!  Cruise once this is over.  Trust me, the cruise prices will come waaaayyyy down!

On 3/9/2020 at 2:49 PM, Timmay77 said:

Booked to go on the Sun on March 23rd. I am not canceling unless something drastic happens between now and then......

Here is my question though. If we cruise, and someone on the ship falls ill, and the entire ship is quarantined off coast for 30 days, who pays for the room while we are there? I called NCL and asked the question, they did not have an answer. "You shouldn't have to pay" they said, but they didn't have a policy or anything. I am going to need more than a random customer service agent agreeing I shouldn't be responsible for the cost. I read in another thread that RCCL has a policy that states the passengers are responsible for any time spent on the ship after there disembarking date.

Based on the latest example of the Grand Princess, quarantined off the coast of California, you wouldn't be quarantined for long in your stateroom. They learned that lesson with the Diamond Princess that the ship becomes a petri dish, even with everyone quarantined to their cabins. After they can set up the logistics (which takes days), they will move you to military quarters to do your 2-week quarantine. Since you are already off the ship at that point, your T&C for the ship do not apply. Who pays for your two week quarantine in a military base?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/coronavirus-grand-princess-passengers-disembark-third-day/5015027002/

Edited by vinotinto
Can't spell, LOL

32 minutes ago, vinotinto said:

Based on the latest example of the Grand Princess, quarantined off the coast of California, you wouldn't be quarantined for long in your stateroom. They learned that lesson with the Diamond Princess that the ship becomes a petri dish, even with everyone quarantined to their cabins. After they can set up the logistics (which takes days), they will move you to military quarters to do your 2-week quarantine. Since you are already off the ship at that point, your T&C for the ship do not apply. Who pays for your two week quarantine in a military base?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/coronavirus-grand-princess-passengers-disembark-third-day/5015027002/

No where in that article does it talk about money........

2 minutes ago, Timmay77 said:

No where in that article does it talk about money........

The article talks about the quarantine process. Everyone here is talking about the portion of the quarantine on the ship and that the ship can charge you, but after that portion, you still have 2 weeks at a military base. Who pays for that second portion?

The military portion of a quarantine would be my biggest concern.  No doubt the US govt will expect those in quarantine to pay for it.  But the question is...how much?  That unknown cost is enough to make me want to not take the risk.

think about todays media.do you think for one minute if a passenger was charged for food and TP and luggage handing that wouldnt be the front page of every paper? 

the parking situation does sound tricky but all the rest. no way are individuals paying for all that stuff. the negative press and taste in peoples mouths literally would cost them customers. 

4 hours ago, vinotinto said:

The article talks about the quarantine process. Everyone here is talking about the portion of the quarantine on the ship and that the ship can charge you, but after that portion, you still have 2 weeks at a military base. Who pays for that second portion?

4 hours ago, erin21497 said:

The military portion of a quarantine would be my biggest concern.  No doubt the US govt will expect those in quarantine to pay for it.  But the question is...how much?  That unknown cost is enough to make me want to not take the risk.

I have no doubt tax dollars will pay for it, not the individuals. Just as you don't pay for a medical evacuation from a ship by the US Coast Guard you wouldn't pay for quarantine at a military facility. Those are part of the military's mission to protect the citizens of the US.

• Like 1

Even the most bottom line oriented corporate executives...or possibly especially the most bottom line oriented executives :classic_rolleyes:... will realize that charging passengers for a government-imposed quarantine during an international health crisis would be a public relations disaster that would only further damage the cruise line's chance of regaining its customers after the crisis abates.

I don't care what the passenger contract permits them to do. Charging for a quarantine under these circumstances would be a death sentence for the cruise line. 

Edited by njhorseman