RCL Cancels Cruise question

I know this isnt happening right now, but im going to assume at some point, if the the ships arent filed to some % of capacity, it wouldnt be profitable to do the cruise therefor RCL may cancel it.  If that were to happen, does anyone know if we would get a FCC or a full refund?  I know this happens for other circumstances such as a group charting out a ship, but thats usually a year+ in advance and no final payments were made.

2 minutes ago, 20165 said:

I know this isnt happening right now, but im going to assume at some point, if the the ships arent filed to some % of capacity, it wouldnt be profitable to do the cruise therefor RCL may cancel it.  If that were to happen, does anyone know if we would get a FCC or a full refund?  I know this happens for other circumstances such as a group charting out a ship, but thats usually a year+ in advance and no final payments were made.

Unknown.  This is new terratory.

And...on cruises for next year and not even close to final payment....

Royal cancelled a number of our Quantum sailings for 2021.

Royal offered us to book new sailings and $200 obc for inside/oceanview/balcony and $400 for suites.

All deposits refunded or moved to the new bookings.

There is some precedent, especially if these were handled consistently:

What did they do when they extended Freedom's dry dock and canceled cruises?

What did they do when the crane fell on Oasis and they had to cancel cruises? I think I read in some posts here that those people had FCC they were using. Is it possible they gave full refund but also some additional FCC?

AFAIK, and people can correct me if I am wrong, the RC cruise contract allows them to choose cancellation reimbursement at their discretion, except for cancellation due to mechanical reasons (which requires refund). They have usually done refunds, and that may be required under consumer laws in various countries pax booked from.

9 hours ago, 20165 said:

Absolutely a refund. They can't keep your money if they don't provide the cruise

I don't believe they will cancel any cruises. This is a different situation from when a ship has mechanical or other physical issues  - the cruise MUST be cancelled because it is unsafe to sail it.

In this situation, it would be extremely expensive to cancel a cruise and just have a ship sitting there. There are contracts to the crew, for restocking the ship, and other fixed costs. So even if the ship is only say 25% full, it is still getting SOME revenue.

My daughter and I sailed (thru a hurricane!) the first weekend in November right after 9/11. In spite of the huge drop of tourists at the time, cruises were not being cancelled.

If I were in a position to do so, I would be booking a cruise right now!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

maybe 35% of the categories available, but it's unknown how many cabins

I actually physically counted them through a mock booking...  547 cabins empty as of last night.  Deck 8 looks like it will be VERY quiet.  I suspect the number will go up even more, considering people have until midnight to cancel.  

I know the 547 number is approximate at any moment, but not far off the mark.

1AA6CADF-033B-4A56-A670-1E2AFB31E892.png

Edited by APDMOM
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

I don't believe they will cancel any cruises. This is a different situation from when a ship has mechanical or other physical issues  - the cruise MUST be cancelled because it is unsafe to sail it.

In this situation, it would be extremely expensive to cancel a cruise and just have a ship sitting there. There are contracts to the crew, for restocking the ship, and other fixed costs. So even if the ship is only say 25% full, it is still getting SOME revenue.

My daughter and I sailed (thru a hurricane!) the first weekend in November right after 9/11. In spite of the huge drop of tourists at the time, cruises were not being cancelled.

They've already done it. Quantum has been cancelled since 15/02 and is just floating around in Asia with crew only onboard!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

Not sure i agree with this.  Granted, there are a lot of fixed costs, but there are also a lot of variable costs that could cost them more to take a ship out with lets say, 50% capacity, than to send home all the workers, dont fuel the ship, no port costs, etc.  Now im making up that 50% number, but i would be willing to bet that some percentage of passengers must exist for a cruise to go out.  Now it may be very low and unlikely to get that that point, but if this things keep ramping up over the coming weeks, i wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.

And we arent even factoring in the possibly of the US gov following Canada and urging ALL US citizens not to cruise.  Right now its just high risk people. 

Edited by 20165

Factual,almost 8,000,000,000(billion) people in world. 99.9999999676 dont have corona virus. Stop the fear people. You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning. 1/3000....... if the actual facts were presented instead of news agancys reporting number of cases people would relax.  Guess how many people died across the world in car accidents yesterday? Several thousands. Do you still drive a car?  Your chances are astronomically low of getting this. If you did you would most likely recover and not even know you had it. Not many people go to see a dr when they have the flu. There have been thousands who have gotten corona and not gotten diagnosed and recovered. This is not even close to an epidemic. People need the facts,not this fear and axiety and ignorance thats being circulated. You have always had a chance of getting dreadfully ill on a cruise ship. Or anywhere else for that matter. So I guess stay in your little sterile environment where your immune system will become non existent and die from the gut bacteria you will have no defense against. This is craziness at its worst. Im a first responder,my career. Guess I shouldnt go to work then right? 

Edited by rtazz17

26 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Factual,almost 8,000,000,000(billion) people in world. 99.9999999676 dont have corona virus. Stop the fear people. You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning. 1/3000....... if the actual facts were presented instead of news agancys reporting number of cases people would relax.  Guess how many people died across the world in car accidents yesterday? Several thousands. Do you still drive a car?  Your chances are astronomically low of getting this. If you did you would most likely recover and not even know you had it. Not many people go to see a dr when they have the flu. There have been thousands who have gotten corona and not gotten diagnosed and recovered. This is not even close to an epidemic. People need the facts,not this fear and axiety and ignorance thats being circulated. You have always had a chance of getting dreadfully ill on a cruise ship. Or anywhere else for that matter. So I guess stay in your little sterile environment where your immune system will become non existent and die from the gut bacteria you will have no defense against. This is craziness at its worst. Im a first responder,my career. Guess I shouldnt go to work then right? 

Not that i disagree, but you should probably talk to the government about that and not this message board given they are the ones putting out those statements...

16 hours ago, SG65CB said:

There is some precedent, especially if these were handled consistently:

What did they do when they extended Freedom's dry dock and canceled cruises?

We were scheduled on one of the cancelled Freedom cruises due to the extended dry dock.  We were scheduled for 3/1/20.  We were offered another Southern Caribbean cruise with a similar itinerary on another ship that all were within a few weeks of our original sailing date with $200 OBC and price protection for the same cabin category and change airline fees, or reschedule to any RCI cruise and receive $200 OBC and change airline fees, or cancel altogether and receive a full refund.

We chose to reschedule completely and scheduled Alaska on the Ovation in May.  We received the OBC almost immediately on our cruise planner and after submitting documentation for changing our airfare we received $400 for changing our flights from San Juan to Seattle.  Deposit and travel insurance was credited to our re-scheduled cruise.  It was pretty easy and quick but with the vast number of cancellations and postponements I would expect it to take longer and probably not as easy.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning. 1/3000

So, I assume when there is a thunderstorm you don't act any differently? Stand next to the highest tree or on an open hilltop?

What? You take "reasonable precautions" like any sane person?

Edited by mayleeman

• 3 weeks later...