Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days   

867 members have voted

1. 1. Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

• YES
    • NO
    • Not sure

17 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

A month or two, lets try 3-6 as an optimistic minimum.  It isn't going to blow away like fog.  

Based solely on your gut feeling, magic 8 ball  or do you have an old football knee injury which acts up when you are asked for guidance? I will say, my observation of your posts....you certainly push the negativity as much as possible. 

44 minutes ago, Dennis#1 said:

Why would they cancel Europe cruises if they do not cancel earlier ones in the Caribbean?

My thoughts are just since the epicenter is currently in Europe combined with the travel restrictions, beaurocracy, and open borders in the Schengen area, plus Europe cruises tend to be more port heavy.

There's also the fact that to get to Europe will require a large number of sea days on the TA cruises, and if something does go wrong or things change while the ship is underway, they can be put in limbo. Keeping the ships at current ports in the US where they can easily get to port within a day or two from anywhere will be safer in uncertain times.

I also feel that because of the current situation in Europe they will have a larger number of passengers cancel Europe cruises, and it will be easier to fill up last minute Caribbean cruises if everything clears up than it will be to fill up European cruises.

These are just my personal thoughts though

6 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

So what's the announcement?

I think this is the newest one?

TRAVEL ADVISORY UPDATE

We are reviewing the administration’s directive on European travel restrictions to understand how we will adjust operations to comply with the new requirements.  Our primary concern is the safety and welfare of our guests, and are working to minimize the impact to our guests to the greatest extent possible.

The U.S. State Department published a new travel advisory. We’ve been staying on top of the situation and had already cancelled or modified most sailings in Asia through mid-March, with no sailings departing from mainland China or Hong Kong.

U.S. guests on cruises in Asia departing before March 23, 2020 who want to change their plans will be allowed to rebook without penalty at a later date.

We are unaware of any significant travel restrictions, delays or quarantines anywhere else in the world.  Accordingly, we look forward to welcoming our guests who are booked on itineraries outside Asia onto their cruises as scheduled.

We continue to monitor the situation constantly, and news of any travel restrictions or cancelled sailings are regularly being updated.

2 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

My thoughts are just since the epicenter is currently in Europe combined with the travel restrictions, beaurocracy, and open borders in the Schengen area, plus Europe cruises tend to be more port heavy.

There's also the fact that to get to Europe will require a large number of sea days on the TA cruises, and if something does go wrong or things change while the ship is underway, they can be put in limbo. Keeping the ships at current ports in the US where they can easily get to port within a day or two from anywhere will be safer in uncertain times.

I also feel that because of the current situation in Europe they will have a larger number of passengers cancel Europe cruises, and it will be easier to fill up last minute Caribbean cruises if everything clears up than it will be to fill up European cruises.

These are just my personal thoughts though

The cases in the US are likely to pass what they have seen on Europe. There is no epicenter anymore this is a global virus.

Just now, awestover89 said:

There were several rumors to expect a press conference at 2PM today, it's looking like those were not valid rumors though, or it's delayed or cancelled

Oh okay - where would one look for this press conference? 

RCL (and Carnival) are in complete denial if they think they can continue operations much longer - the number of positive cases in the US is going to skyrocket in the coming days.....and along with that - the risk of someone carrying the virus onto a cruise ship will increase dramatically.

So sad, but I don't see any alternative but to suspend at least through end of April, but more likely it will need to be longer than that.

• Like 1

Just now, uksaint said:

RCL (and Carnival) are in complete denial if they think they can continue operations much longer - the number of positive cases in the US is going to skyrocket in the coming days.....and along with that - the risk of someone carrying the virus onto a cruise ship will increase dramatically.

So sad, but I don't see any alternative but to suspend at least through end of April, but more likely it will need to be longer than that.

Unfortunately I'm agreeing, this just hit my inbox

20200313_131657489.jpeg

8 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Based solely on your gut feeling, magic 8 ball  or do you have an old football knee injury which acts up when you are asked for guidance? I will say, my observation of your posts....you certainly push the negativity as much as possible. 

You call it negative, I call realism.  I'd love to snap my finger than this be gone, we all would. 

I'm honestly not sure how one country can contain this in half the time of the rest of the world.  Especially judging by the approach taken the last 6 weeks.  Just a few days ago it was finally acknowledged that the "horse" was out of the barn.  Now it is time to contain it.  

They have to have no more miss-steps, some luck and all the countries of the world working together in harmony.  Can it take less time; I'd like to hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Grumpus said:

My thinking is, RCL is waiting for the Fed to close all ports.  That way would probably set them up for Federal Aid, whereas if they cancel sailings, they get no aid or next to no aid from the Fed.

Which would possibly give them a way to avoid cash refunds and instead give out FCC's/IOU's.   

2 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

My thinking is, RCL is waiting for the Fed to close all ports.  That way would probably set them up for Federal Aid, whereas if they cancel sailings, they get no aid or next to no aid from the Fed.

They will likely get aid regardless; the cruise lobby is massive and has bipartisan support from some pretty big markets (especially Florida) A few members of congress have balked since they aren't "American" companies, but the sheer amount of money they bring in, their lobby arm, and the number of American jobs they do create (I think there's like 150K in Florida alone), Congress is already discussing bailouts and other financial assistance for cruise lines

18 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

You call it negative, I call realism.  I'd love to snap my finger than this be gone, we all would. 

I'm honestly not sure how one country can contain this in half the time of the rest of the world.  Especially judging by the approach taken the last 6 weeks.  Just a few days ago it was finally acknowledged that the "horse" was out of the barn.  Now it is time to contain it.  

They have to have no more miss-steps, some luck and all the countries of the world working together in harmony.  Can it take less time; I'd like to hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you were truly being realistic, you would realize that 70-80% of the American population is going to get the virus regardless. I agree in taking the precautions but nature has a way of being nature... All of the closures and stuff don't contain anything, they simply slow the spread and take the immediate massive burden off of the healthcare system and hopefully spread it out. That's realism... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The realism is the damage done by the "horse" is pale compared to the basic flu we are and have experienced for years. Being an alarmist is causing more damage than optimistically and logically stepping through this. I am going to rub my magic 8 ball now and it predicts you and others like you are going to look really silly by start of summer. But for now, by all means continue to revel in your 24 hour a day negativity against America. One more thing, just curious...are you shorting cruise line stocks? Asking for a friend. 

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Health-Officials-No-Reason-for-Healthy-People-to-Cancel-Cruises

1 minute ago, Floke said:

they simply slow the spread and take the immediate massive burden off of the healthcare system and hopefully spread it out. That's realism... 

Agreed as working in LTC I know that realism.  To think it will be done in 3 months is not.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

Oh okay - where would one look for this press conference? 

28 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Trump's press conference will be at 3 pm, EST.

Streaming here

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-live-dow-plunges-white-house-grapples-spreading-crisis-n1157551

Podium is empty... I assume Trump is showing up soon.

This is a live feed

All I hear at the moment  is background discussions of the reporters I assume

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Unfortunately I'm agreeing, this just hit my inbox

20200313_131657489.jpeg

I live 10 minutes from DFW airport, and the two counties here that touch DFW airport, that is, Tarrant County and Dallas County, have imposed many emergency restrictions. A DFW based American Air pilot just tested positive for the virus, and it's creating a lot of concern, as is concern for 4 additional people who just tested positive for the virus, including a woman who has not done any traveling. American Airlines, with it's hub here,  has cut travel to and from a number of European airports. My next door neighbor is a pilot, and most of my development airline execs. I'm hearing that air travel does not look hopeful.  Saying a cruise is still "on" for May 2, may be fine for RCCL, but the airline getting there has ceased until at least May 7th. The airlines and cruise lines need to work in harmony.

• Like 1

Forgive me if this has already been posted but I work in a doctors office (don't even get me started on the insanity I've gone through this week now that we have cases in my county). A patient brought in a form that Royal Caribbean apparently sent out to passengers in a certain age bracket that they are requiring a physician to sign before allowing passengers to board. 

Edited by gritsnc