Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days   

867 members have voted

1. 1. Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

• YES
    • NO
    • Not sure

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

New Yorkers are nuts. If they even hear the word snow everyone rushes out to buy toilet paper, bread, eggs and milk.  What are they making? French Toast?

Agree and all the news outlets keep reporting which puts the idea into peoples mind.

I dont understand hoarding water since we have a faucet to turn on.

37 minutes ago, ela05 said:

No, supermarkets are full of everything you may need to survive and more...some people on the first days of the emergency ran to the supermarkets to stock up on food, but they were only the usual hysterics that you may find everywhere...no need to fill our houses with food, we can always go out and buy what we need, it's almost the only exception to the "stay at home" rule, the only issue are the queues outside the shops, since only a few people can enter at a time.

And of course we can always shop online.

Well, stores around here are all still running short of TP, hand sanitizer, cleaners and water.  I've been ordering online and picking up the next day for a few months, until last night.  I wanted to do my pickup today and there are NO timeslots available until Monday afternoon and delivery is backed up too.  My reason for ordering online has nothing to do with the virus and everything to do with my knee injury preventing me from being able to walk the store.  Fortunately, we have always kept a stocked pantry, freezer and fridge so we're not desperate for anything, but believe me, there are shortages of some things.  Food, not really, but there are some items harder to find than others.  My son went to Walmart a few days ago to buy a few things, like 6 rolls of TP since he was running low and there was none.  He was also looking for a couple of bottles of hand sanitizer since he travels for work and has a trip coming up, but there was none.  He ended up at Safeway and found a little TP.   You need to see the lines at Costco around here and we have three in a ten mile radius and several more in a 25 mile radius.  There's pretty much no running into a store.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BND said:

I think he's setting up for cancellations and encouraging TA's to not panic and be patient.

Agree with this.  I think cancellations are common sense at this point.  Cruising during this and having another major outbreak is only going to do more damage to the industry.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rolloman said:

I leave tomorrow on a cruise so it begs the question; Why do some still want to cruise? I can't speak for everyone but some reasons could be:

• It is in our DNA, most here had family who initially came over to America on a ship, discarding the high likelihood of disease and death while in transit. 
  •  Several, like myself are Navy sailors who have spent years at sea facing challenges far, far greater than a flu type virus.  
  •  Some do not want to feel held down and minimized as their freedoms are slowly being taken away.
  •  An escape from reality- (fighting for toilet paper, constant news media)
  •  Some had years of planning or once in a lifetime special events
  •  A couple are just your typical bat poop crazy individuals. 

You will, of course, display integrity and self-quarantine from your community for 14 days upon return, correct?  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BND said:

You only quoted part of what I posted, but okay.  I stated that it says "some people may", but okay.  You should have quoted lizzieandluke who posted the original "findings".

I was answering your question - the one you posed in the part that I quoted. For clarity, I was not accusing *you* of misunderstanding.

9 minutes ago, ozzie0075 said:

Agree with this.  I think cancellations are common sense at this point.  Cruising during this and having another major outbreak is only going to do more damage to the industry.  

When Princess suspended service they guaranteed that travel agents would keep their commission for cruises past final payment. I wonder if Royal Caribbean will do the right thing as well.

IMHO — I think Royal could put a temporary freeze on cruises.  Not two months, maybe two weeks to see how this all shakes out and then reevaluate.   I would think that Royal would be concerned with ports not accepting ships.  Someone should also be concerned with cruisers bringing the virus back to their communities.

We cancelled our 3/15 trip out of Bayonne due to health issues and not wanting to risk being quarantined on the ship.  Why anyone would have a ship sail from an area that is experiencing “states of emergency” is beyond me.  Katherine

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LizzieandLuke said:

I just read a report that those who have recovered from the virus have lost 20% of their lung capacity.  I think cruises are a hot bed and think RC should cancel and to prevent those who are selfishly willing to still go.  You may be young and healthy but that doesn't mean you won't pass it to someone who isn't.  It is a vacation.   

This type of uneducated post Is what causes all

this misinformation and hysteria. 

• Like 3

For those of us who are 70 years of age or older, and have a medical condition or health history that would not allow us on their ships, any potential FCC offered will do us no good. Trying to get our doctors to sign and commit to the language on the required document RCCL has mandated, can be a difficult, if not impossible, thing to do. Even if we could get this letter, we will obviously become a target for testing, delay, and potential pariah on the ship. They need a better plan for us, especially as we represent a substantial cruise base going forward.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

When Princess suspended service they guaranteed that travel agents would keep their commission for cruises past final payment. I wonder if Royal Caribbean will do the right thing as well.

Royal is protecting commissions for people who cancel under the Cruise with Confidence policy; I'd imagine that would be the same for suspended operations

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This type of uneducated post Is what causes all

this misinformation and hysteria. 

Nah... I read one time, from the Internet nonetheless, that the Earth is flat. The Internet is never wrong, even when it's misquoted or only partially quoted from a less than reliable source. Bottom line... the Earth is apparently flat. Who knew right? 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I will do what I am instructed to do.  

People coming off ships are being instructed by employers and schools to self-quarantine.  I may be going out on a limb here in assuming you are a retiree, and that employment and school requirements do not impact you personally.  In that case will you simply reinsert yourself to your community without a self-quarantine? 

8 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Royal is protecting commissions for people who cancel under the Cruise with Confidence policy; I'd imagine that would be the same for suspended operations

That is a good policy to protect the agents; I think many agents these days are one-person shows operating out of their home.  They might not be able to refund previously paid commissions.  But going forward their ability to earn and maintain a work from home or work for themselves lifestyle may be difficult.  Their cash flow is going to suffer 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

People coming off ships are being instructed by employers and schools to self-quarantine.  I may be going out on a limb here in assuming you are a retiree, and that employment and school requirements do not impact you personally.  In that case will you simply reinsert yourself to your community without a self-quarantine? 

Not sure what the new found fascination you have with me is ….However,  I feel confident you will have your wish and everyone, including yourself will have a mandatory quarantine by this time next week. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

That is a good policy to protect the agents; I think many agents these days are one-person shows operating out of their home.  They might not be able to refund previously paid commissions.  But going forward their ability to earn and maintain a work from home or work for themselves lifestyle may be difficult.  Their cash flow is going to suffer 

Yes, it's a rough time, definitely. At first Royal was "protecting" commission by taking it out of the FCC given to the client, but they said that was a glitch and has been fixed. I'm a one man agency but under a host, which basically sets up all the legal paperwork and commission agreements, and my host's policy is that if commission is recalled they just basically put a hold on your future commission, rather than make you pay it back. A lot of agents are considering leaving the business right now, not sure how they'll handle it if people close up shop. But so far most of the companies have announced that they are protecting commissions, only a few are still rescinding them.

1 hour ago, LizzieandLuke said:

I apologize - my article says 30%.  So 10 % die and 30% are left with lung issues which we don't know if they can recover from  - but we should all still go on a cruise because me first.    

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-fully-recover-coronavirus-left-103917303.html

12 people do not constitute a statistically significant sample size, especially considering there is no information in the article about age, what other underlying or pre-existing health conditions those 12 people might have had, what the O2 functional level of their lungs was prior to contracting the virus, or whether there were comparative data from the general population of the same age/prior health history who had not contracted the virus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eslader said:

I was answering your question - the one you posed in the part that I quoted. For clarity, I was not accusing *you* of misunderstanding.

Um, I was asking that poster where they got their info.  I then went onto say what it actually said when I found an article.   You answered something I didn't even ask, but okay.

Edited by BND

14 hours ago, Miloomar said:

How is it that Korea is testing 20,000 people a day then? What are they using? Do you think China shared with them and kept it a secret from the rest of the world?

With the way the administration hid from this, I expect nothing for at least 2-3 months

From what I understand those test kits Korea was using were flawed and inaccurate.  Secondly, and related to the creation of the American kits, I stand by what I originally said.... When there is money to be made, the kits will be mass produced and stacked up in retail stores in no time.  That being said, I think you need to adjust your timeline. Roche came out today with an approved test kit which takes only 3 hours. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/new-coronavirus-test-10-times-faster-is-fda-approved/ar-BB118ePt?ocid=spartanntp

Edited by rolloman

The NBA and NHL have suspended their seasons.  MLB spring training appears to be shutdown, the season start has been delayed by two weeks.  The NCAA basketball tourney has been cancelled.  The SEC  has stopped ALL spring sports, baseball,  basketball conference tourney.  I am assuming other universities around the nation are doing similar.   Don't forget to mix in the closure of Disney World and Disney Land along with their cruise ships.

At this point you have to admit the national "optics" and general perception of the cruise industry that has decided to just sail on with business as usual is not looking good right now.  No matter your personal opinions on whether to cruise or not this just isn't a positive look for the cruise industry.   It is getting increasingly difficult for the cruise industry to argue that they are not putting profits over public safety.  

Edited by dasmonkey
  • Like 6

Yes - love cruising as much as anyone but we all have to do our part to stopping this virus from spreading.  One person gets on a ship with the virus - who knows how many leave with it?  The faster we stop the spread, the faster our economy recovers and things get back to normal.  

3 minutes ago, dasmonkey said:

It is getting increasingly difficult for the cruise industry to argue that they are not putting profits over public safety.  

Public perception definitely goes along way when it comes to a company's reputation.  I think this is a big part of the decision that Disney made to shut down.