Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days   

867 members have voted

1. 1. Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

• YES
    • NO
    • Not sure

51 minutes ago, dasmonkey said:

Shutting down temporarily is probably coming.  
All 3 major lines are loath to do that at this point.
They are all leveraged to the hilt and desperate for whatever income flow they can get.
The elephant in the room however is them having to hand cash back to a customer instead of an IOU in the form of a FCC if THEY do the cancelling instead of you. 

RCL had almost 11 billion in revenue last year (page 37 of 10k).   If you calculate about 72% of that from cruise fares (page 14) and the rest in on board spending (that is why they push drink/dining packages so much), it is 7.2 billion in fares.  60 days of fares is 7.92b/365*60 or about 1.3 billion dollars.  ( https://fintel.io/doc/sec-rcl-royal-caribbean-cruises-10k-annual-report-2020-february-25-18317 )

1.3 billion is a lot of cash.  They ended 2019 with $244 million in cash (page F-6).   They just borrowed another 550 million more.  They need a lot of people to take a FCC.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

Royal and Celebrity will now require a doctor to sign off one anyone over 70 to board a ship.

I had not heard this from Royal. Where can I find it?   I couldn't find it on their website and they haven't contacted me.  I need to know if I need to make an MD appointment to get this letter etc

10 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

We were supposed to have a million ready a week ago? Why not just claim 11 trillion? 

They don't have the labs and/or personnel to perform many tests anyways. Heck the passengers off the Grand mostly have not been tested! It's a disgrace. None of this is the cruise industries fault. IMHO they stepped up much faster and implemented procedures overnight. The fed gov is just playing a wait and see game. They are scared to death of causing a total economic meltdown and their lack of action has basically caused one. It's unreal. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mike123abc said:

RCL had almost 11 billion in revenue last year (page 37 of 10k).   If you calculate about 72% of that from cruise fares (page 14) and the rest in on board spending (that is why they push drink/dining packages so much), it is 7.2 billion in fares.  60 days of fares is 7.92b/365*60 or about 1.3 billion dollars.  ( https://fintel.io/doc/sec-rcl-royal-caribbean-cruises-10k-annual-report-2020-february-25-18317 )

1.3 billion is a lot of cash.  They ended 2019 with $244 million in cash (page F-6).   They just borrowed another 550 million more.  They need a lot of people to take a FCC.

I would imagine it's not evenly spread; holiday sailings and the summer will probably be more of their earnings percentage-wise than March-May, especially with a number of TA and TP cruises which typically have much lower costs pp/pd 

Still, it will be a big, big number, and they have the added problem of getting their ships in position; if they cancel the next 2 months of cruises will they try to position the ships in Europe and Alaska still? If not then they'll lose out on those as well...

20 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

We were supposed to have a million ready a week ago? Why not just claim 11 trillion? 

Well its past 9pm?  Secondly how do you know the million tests are not available? There is a big difference between available and distributed.

2 minutes ago, rolloman said:

The more cruise lines that cancel the more bookings Royal will get. I will bet those that made flights for this weekend for Disney and Princess are now scrambling to book the many open cabins on Royal ships. 

I think that's a bit overly optimistic, but hey who knows.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

I had not heard this from Royal. Where can I find it?   I couldn't find it on their website and they haven't contacted me.  I need to know if I need to make an MD appointment to get this letter etc

Go to this link: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

Instead of reading the giant wall o' text, hit CTRL F and type in 70, it will take you to the appropriate line, which also has a link to the standard note that your doctor is supposed to sign. It starts on March 16. 

3 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Go to this link: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

Instead of reading the giant wall o' text, hit CTRL F and type in 70, it will take you to the appropriate line, which also has a link to the standard note that your doctor is supposed to sign. It starts on March 16. 

Found it  It's ridiculous and there will be a lot of MD's that will NOT take the liability of signing anything like this.  I think everyone should have an MD note then if they have these illnesses.  Who's going to pay for the MD visit to get the exam and note?

Edited by torpeedo

1 minute ago, torpeedo said:

Found it  It's ridiculous and there will be a lot of MD's that will NOT take the liability of signing anything like this.  I think everyone should have an MD note then if they have these illnesses.  Who's going to pay for the MD visit to get the exam and note?

Sure and now you have healthy people going to doctors offices where they can potentially be exposed to illnesses. Vicious cycle imo.

1 minute ago, torpeedo said:

Don’t even worry about it- they’ll probably be taking all ships out of service as they return to port by Monday anyways. DCL just cancelled all sailings in addition to Princess. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nvtitan89 said:

Don’t even worry about it- they’ll probably be taking all ships out of service as they return to port by Monday anyways. DCL just cancelled all sailings in addition to Princess. 

My thoughts exactly. With Disney closing ALL psrks and pausing sailings, how can cruise lines not cave in and stop sailing.

14 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

Well yes. I think most physicians would be uncomfortable signing such a note. I am only 61, but I think my doctor would put a big giant "X" through the disease paragraph on principle and only attest to the fact that I am fit to travel. And I don't think they care who pays for it. It is just CYA stuff. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc

21 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

Go to their site and clink on the virus update at the top of the page.  Read down a few paragraphs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

Found it  It's ridiculous and there will be a lot of MD's that will NOT take the liability of signing anything like this.  I think everyone should have an MD not then if they have these illnesses.  Who's going to pay for the MD visit to get the exam and note?

Not me!!

And who is to say cruislines do away with it. Better for their liability to make older cruises have a doctor sign off. Now I'm annoyed.

Not everyone has a close association with a doctor and a doctor who doesnt know me, might not sign. My bp was up a few days ago from stress, now one more stress ... no thanks. 

13 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Well its past 9pm?  Secondly how do you know the million tests are not available? There is a big difference between available and distributed.

If they are available and not distributed they might as well not exist.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Secondly how do you know the million tests are not available? There is a big difference between available and distributed.

If they had a million tests they would be out/released where the health care system could use them.  The true COVID levels in the states would have been known weeks ago, not just over the last 4 days as tests and results were trickling in.

edit: if they had them and they worked, why would they have any reason to hoard them. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

No, as noted Princess brand is damaged and could not take any thing else, no matter how little.  Royal could shut down for 2 - 4 weeks to evaluate but as of right now this is a flu not Armageddon. 60%of people have already recovered.  Many cruise lines now have a mandatory DR note required for patients over 70 so maybe something like that to screen the most vulnerable.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Wrong quote, but this again is why we are not using south Korean test. Fda says defective.

Fda will not approve the test used in South Korea, they say its defective and doesnt meet FDA standards.

Question asked and answered on tv news. Others were asking too. 

Another company selling in other countries has a 90 minute test. 

Fda has to ok it. They said only approved test takes days for results

There is a clinic doing a Seattle Flu Study.  They have thousands of samples in their freezer.  When this first started they contacted the CDC inquiring about testing them for Covid-19.  As they were waiting for an answer they tested a few and found a teenager that was positive.  They contacted the Snohomish County Health Department. They were able to catch up with him and stop him from entering his school.  The CDC confirm their results.  They asked about testing the rest of their samples and developing a test kit.  The CDC said only their kits were approved,  they would need permission from the FDA  to develop a testing kit.  After a week of exchanging emails the FDA said no.  I was a couple weeks later that the rules were relaxed.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Again..... they did not have the data to accurately create the proper tests. China was of no help. It has everything to do with the timeline. Compared to China and Italy we are ahead of the game. Some of you and your political bias have tunnel vision.

If by tunnel vision, you mean a goal for correct and accurate results, that’s what I’m looking for. As more tests are starting to be released and results come back you will be surprised how many cases you have in the states. 

The States should have accepted the WHO tests offered to them back in January/February instead of making their own, losing a months time.  To which those tests gave false positives and negatives. By the time it was finally corrected to work, they lost 6 weeks time, which was just recently.  

Those corrected tests and their results are finally coming back with disastrous results.  China supposedly had the virus in November and they are just stabilizing. That’s 5 months.  Let’s see where America is 5 months from now before stating how well things are.

Trust me, I’d love to be wrong but I think results will be high. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

There is a clinic doing a Seattle Flu Study.  They have thousands of samples in their freezer.  When this first started they contacted the CDC inquiring about testing them for Covid-19.  As they were waiting for an answer they tested a few and found a teenager that was positive.  They contacted the Snohomish County Health Department. They were able to catch up with him and stop him from entering his school.  The CDC confirm their results.  They asked about testing the rest of their samples and developing a test kit.  The CDC said only their kits were approved,  they would need permission from the FDA  to develop a testing kit.  After a week of exchanging emails the FDA said no.  I was a couple weeks later that the rules were relaxed.

Would love to read about this. Do you have a link?

On a positive note this happened today in Toronto, Canada. A research team has isolated the COVID-19 virus.  

https://sunnybrook.ca/research/media/item.asp?c=2&i=2069&f=covid-19-isolated-2020

At the same time the Prime Minister of Canada’s wife has tested positive.  The same will happen to political figures in the states.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid19-trudeau-premiers-coronavirus-1.5495001

• Like 3