Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days   

867 members have voted

1. 1. Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

• YES
    • NO
    • Not sure

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes  - American adults are proving incapable of heeding travel warnings can not be trusted to self-quarantine like the guy who tested positive in Palm Beach County last night on a JetBlue plane.  He was previously told he was COVID19 positive and to stay home; what does he do, hop on a plane to Florida and become Palm Beach County COVID19 Patient #1.  What did they do with everyone else on the plane?  Nothing.  Sent them on their merry way.  

The cruise lines have a major part to play in helping to flatten the curve.  Those ships need to sit idle for 60-90 days. Nobody gives a darn about your vacation plans. 

The voice of reason!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

i think if you feel you are fit to travel you should be able to...if not, don't.  as long as they have some sort of screening in place before boarding (which they do) then you travel at your own risk. i personally hope they don't suspend all cruises... 

• Like 6

For whatever it's worth, I'm scheduled to do a 7-day on Harmony leaving this Sunday and we are planning on going. The risk factors for my family and I are low, our jobs have already told us that we'll need to self-quarantine when we get home... which we will do. I'm sure somebody will have something smart to say about that, bring on the hate but I intend to have a great time. In looking at this cruise specifically, I went into their booking system just now and found about 165 or so cabins open (this cruise was sold out for months prior to this). Given the ship has upwards of 2750 cabins, the harmony will sail at more than 90%+ capacity. I only point this out because people are saying that boats are sailing empty or half empty... they aren't (at least not this week). I really don't think RCL will suspend anything in the Caribbean unless travel restrictions are imposed specific to the southern US border and the region around the Caribbean islands. Princess and Viking have vastly different sailing demos and that had a lot to do with their decisions. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think they have too Very soon, its getting to be too far spread and even with the best screening practices almost impossible for them to guarantee safety. If 80 cases can come from 1 or two people having at a Biogen convention, how much worse could it be on a cruise. Just not worth the risk for the companies at this point, reputation would be ruined for longer period.

When you guys say your healthy and do so at your own risk, its not about "you". It's about the possibility of being infected and bringing it back to your local communities. Sure all of us under 40 and healthy can say im minimal risk "but you can't only think of yourself"

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

They absolutely should suspend cruises for 60 days (initially). One thing that has been made clear by professionals across the board is that when containment is in force, it helps to stop the spread. Isn't that what we all want? The sooner there is containment, the sooner this will die off and we can get back to our lives, cruises and all. 

By the way, I'm supposed to sail on March 28 and just as disappointed as everyone else - I want my vacation, too! But this is just a delay and not forever. What I'm more curious about now is if I should take FCC or wait and see if they will end up refunding people?  

• Like 4

We were supposed to go on our first big vacation in years on the Symphony on April 11. We've had a rough couple of years and I've been counting the days, hell, the minutes. I want this cruise right now like you have no idea. But suspending operations is the right thing to do. Good grief, they just shut down Broadway through mid-April. Practically all sports are shutting down, either playing games without fans in the stands or just suspending their seasons. Cruise lines need to follow Princess and Viking. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, otcprofits2 said:

When you guys say your healthy and do so at your own risk, its not about "you". It's about the possibility of being infected and bringing it back to your local communities. Sure all of us under 40 and healthy can say im minimal risk "but you can't only think of yourself"

Very good point!  Those sailing may have a great vacation but what happens when they get back?  I am now thinking, given all the news the past 24 hours, the cruise industry or the federal government will soon take the decision making away from all of us dedicated cruisers.

• Like 2

Royal Caribbean made a smart move years ago by making their ships the destination. They have enhanced their private island stops. During this Time of hysteria ....here is my suggestion, park their older “non destination ships”  and limit their itineraries to their private locations, shorten the voyages, disembark all passengers and crew upon return. Swab every crew member with a virus test before allowing them to re-board.  At this time, test results do not come back in a timely manner, therefore until that is vetted out, they may have to have two sets of crew for each ship. Again,  before I am attacked, this is only an idea. This concept would be used as a stop gap versus a complete halting of their sailings.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol just because it's you and I know you are a good source went to your link... says sorry the page cannot be found. Lololol

News changing too fast.

Sorry about that.  Must be a firewall thing.  Here's a different article.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/?fbclid=IwAR3Hc-bB9Hv56VzUeCtxwdAU-mUCjHF7nkphixP7BCwg5H-KMKi4wrhv4vk

3 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Royal Caribbean made a smart move years ago by making their ships the destination. They have enhanced their private island stops. During this Time of hysteria ....here is my suggestion, park their older “non destination ships”  and limit their itineraries to their private locations, shorten the voyages, disembark all passengers and crew upon return. Swab every crew member with a virus test before allowing them to re-board.  At this time, test results do not come back in a timely manner, therefore until that is vetted out, they may have to have two sets of crew for each ship. Again,  before I am attacked, this is only an idea. This concept would be used as a stop gap versus a complete halting of their sailings.

You do realize that there are not nearly enough test kits in the United States?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Floke said:

For whatever it's worth, I'm scheduled to do a 7-day on Harmony leaving this Sunday and we are planning on going. The risk factors for my family and I are low, our jobs have already told us that we'll need to self-quarantine when we get home... which we will do. I'm sure somebody will have something smart to say about that, bring on the hate but I intend to have a great time. In looking at this cruise specifically, I went into their booking system just now and found about 165 or so cabins open (this cruise was sold out for months prior to this). Given the ship has upwards of 2750 cabins, the harmony will sail at more than 90%+ capacity. I only point this out because people are saying that boats are sailing empty or half empty... they aren't (at least not this week). I really don't think RCL will suspend anything in the Caribbean unless travel restrictions are imposed specific to the southern US border and the region around the Caribbean islands. Princess and Viking have vastly different sailing demos and that had a lot to do with their decisions. 

I can tell you for a fact that your figures are way off.  Whatever site you are using is not showing all the cabins.  I just did a quick count of 2 balcony categories (2D and 2J) and was at 160 cabins for those 2 categories.  My Anthem sailing is at 50%.  harmony may not be that low but it will be a lot lower than the 90% you are expecting.  Count on between 50 and 75%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

You do realize that there are not nearly enough test kits in the United States?

You do realize they will soon have plenty of kits?With money to be made producing these kits I am confident it won’t be too long before you can go to any CVS and pick one up.

• Like 3

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

I can tell you for a fact that your figures are way off.  Whatever site you are using is not showing all the cabins.  I just did a quick count of 2 balcony categories (2D and 2J) and was at 160 cabins for those 2 categories.  My Anthem sailing is at 50%.  harmony may not be that low but it will be a lot lower than the 90% you are expecting.  Count on between 50 and 75%.

I'm using the public booking site. Go look for yourself before you claim what you can tell me to be a fact. When I looked an hour ago, there were 27 suites, 92 balcony's, 9 ocean view, and 39 interior cabins available to book for a total of 167. I know that doesn't fit the mass hysteria theme of this thread and what the media is pumping out but it's out there for anyone to see. This is also a spring break cruise and many going, like myself live very near the Cape so flights aren't necessary for us and it's easy to get there... it might be an outlier at this point, I'll concede that. 

1 hour ago, rolloman said:

Some of you better be careful what you wish for.....next step could be to invoke martial law....make everyone a prisoner of their homes..... Everyone needs to do their part and quit adding to the hysteria....this is not the plague.....

Well said.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Can you share what site your using to check availability plz.   

11 minutes ago, Floke said:

I'm using the public booking site. Go look for yourself before you claim what you can tell me to be a fact. When I looked an hour ago, there were 27 suites, 92 balcony's, 9 ocean view, and 39 interior cabins available to book for a total of 167. I know that doesn't fit the mass hysteria theme of this thread and what the media is pumping out but it's out there for anyone to see. This is also a spring break cruise and many going, like myself live very near the Cape so flights aren't necessary for us and it's easy to get there... it might be an outlier at this point, I'll concede that. 

I’ll be on the cruise with you! How doin look and see what cabins are avaiLbls? What’s the public booking site?

Carnival owns Princess, HAL, P&O, Costa, Cunard, Carnival cruises and Seaborn but they are only suspending the Princess line.

I doubt RCI would shut down while their big competitor is still operating.   Princess is just one small part of the Carnival empire.

If Carnival had said they were suspending all their cruise lines then yes I think RCI would suspend too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demobrett said:

I’ll be on the cruise with you! How doin look and see what cabins are avaiLbls? What’s the public booking site?

Nice! It's just royalcaribbean.com then find a cruise. Search for the one leaving on 3/15 from Port Canaveral, look for 1 stateroom and then go by category by category. I just did each that showed available and added them up. Probably not the most accurate method as I'm sure travel agents have better info but it should be pretty darn close. 

Edited by Floke
spelling error

27 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I counted 747 available cabins on the Sunday 3/15 Harmony...... and I didn’t count the available interiors ( got tired of counting). That is from the travel agent website which will show everything. I will guess @Ourusualbeachused the same site.

mac_tlc

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes  - American adults are proving incapable of heeding travel warnings can not be trusted to self-quarantine like the guy who tested positive in Palm Beach County last night on a JetBlue plane.  He was previously told he was COVID19 positive and to stay home; what does he do, hop on a plane to Florida and become Palm Beach County COVID19 Patient #1.  What did they do with everyone else on the plane?  Nothing.  Sent them on their merry way.  

The cruise lines have a major part to play in helping to flatten the curve.  Those ships need to sit idle for 60-90 days. Nobody gives a darn about your vacation plans. 

Bingo!!!!  And after reading what goes on in the cruise ship buffet and how people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, I don't have enough faith that my fellow cruise mates will man up and go to the infirmary if they develop any symptoms. They will continue to enjoy "Their" vacation and to Hell with the rest of us. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Floke said:

Go for it @Floke and have a fabulous time!  We were on the Anthem last week and from the moment we embarked it was like we had stepped into a time machine. Ship sailed full - proof in the ongoing inability to secure a chair poolside 😉, and when we called at Nassau alongside the Norwegian Bliss she looked like she was sailing full too.  I agree with your assessment of different demographics from Princess and Viking, BTW.  Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1