Crew member post from an hour ago on RCI facebook

Be thankful you still have a job in the midst of all of this because some of us have just lost months of work.
Royal Caribbean International what are you going to do about it? Taking contracts off your crew with Zero notice and no pay for at least two months?
I know the health crisis is out of your hand, but I’m speaking out for people who have families to support and mouths to feed.
You’ve gotta do something for your workers with that little of notice, come on.

• Like 3

I really don't want to come across as heartless, but that's the expected trade off for contract work. Contractors are often paid more than full time equivalent employees, but with less protections. It's the same in the IT world, I could make way more money switching over to a contractor role, but I don't want that uncertainty.

My dad is a contractor in the construction industry, and this is the kind of thing he deals with regularly; pay is better when he has work but when work slows down he gets let go.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

I really don't want to come across as heartless, but that's the expected trade off for contract work. Contractors are often paid more than full time equivalent employees, but with less protections. It's the same in the IT world, I could make way more money switching over to a contractor role, but I don't want that uncertainty.

My dad is a contractor in the construction industry, and this is the kind of thing he deals with regularly; pay is better when he has work but when work slows down he gets let go.

Yes, but I doubt they make the same pay as an IT contractor.

• Like 4

Well that just confirmed for me that there will be some kind of announcement that they will stop cruising for 60 days. Was supposed to cruise March 29th from San Juan. Haven’t cancelled yet but I guess they will being doing that for me. 

Also, read Puerto Rico has enacted the national guard at the airport as will scan for coronavirus.  and they will be around the area to monitor the situation. And will not have any activity with more then 100 people. 

I will I’ll just wait for the announcement and reschedule when things calm down. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Be thankful you still have a job in the midst of all of this because some of us have just lost months of work.
Royal Caribbean International what are you going to do about it? Taking contracts off your crew with Zero notice and no pay for at least two months?
I know the health crisis is out of your hand, but I’m speaking out for people who have families to support and mouths to feed.

Not sure what this means.  Do you have their post?  Are they being laid off?  Is Royal canceling cruises?  Need more info

• Like 3

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

Not sure what this means.  Do you have their post?  Are they being laid off?  Is Royal canceling cruises?  Need more info

What ship is it from.  We know the Explorer is going to sit idle for a couple months perhaps it’s from there 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mommao729 said:

Well that just confirmed for me that there will be some kind of announcement that they will stop cruising for 60 days. Was supposed to cruise March 29th from San Juan. Haven’t cancelled yet but I guess they will being doing that for me. 

I will I’ll just wait for the announcement and reschedule when things calm down. 

If they are planning that, then why did they institute the 70 plus doctor's note?

4 minutes ago, mafig said:

If they are planning that, then why did they institute the 70 plus doctor's note?

Could have something to do with the President announcing a National Emergency at 3pm. Perhaps the government is closing the ports. 

Edited by ozzie0075

I feel for the cruise worker, it is going to be hard for many of us....companies are not always going to be to help employees, it is up to the individual to be prepared. Put money aside instead of buying the latest phone, etc.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mafig said:

Princess instituted a cancellation policy and onboard credit for those still cruising yet they still shut down

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Looking at her Facebook profile it looks like she is part of entertainment staff.  She was set to board a ship (didn’t say which one) on Saturday 

I did not see her post on Facebook did anyone ask her for more info? I don't think loyal it is responding to posts on their Facebook page from what I've seen they're too busy

Just now, molly361 said:

I did not see her post on Facebook did anyone ask her for more info? I don't think loyal it is responding to posts on their Facebook page from what I've seen they're too busy

She did not respond to what ship, only said her contract was dilute to start Saturday. 

38 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

More info needed. Ship crew member? what position? what ship? 

Did they give everyone a notice or just some people?  If everyone got notice (except a few essential employees) that would prove that the cruise line will shut down. However, if it was just some, maybe that just means a reduction in force since there are so few people cruising right now?  Yes, I have a cruise planned in two weeks and am holding out hope.  But I do feel horrible for cruise crew members.  So many crew members that we have met are from poor countries and work six months at a time just to send money back to their kids and spouse.  Not seeing your family for six months would be horrible on it's own, but now having to figure out what to do for two months is awful for them.  

32 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

More info needed. Ship crew member? what position? what ship? 

23 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

I will try to ask on her FB post.

4 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

Did they give everyone a notice or just some people?  If everyone got notice (except a few essential employees) that would prove that the cruise line will shut down. However, if it was just some, maybe that just means a reduction in force since there are so few people cruising right now?  Yes, I have a cruise planned in two weeks and am holding out hope.  But I do feel horrible for cruise crew members.  So many crew members that we have met are from poor countries and work six months at a time just to send money back to their kids and spouse.  Not seeing your family for six months would be horrible on it's own, but now having to figure out what to do for two months is awful for them.  

See post 14, 16 and 21.  Much of that information has been provided by looking at her Facebook profile.