Where will all the ships dock???

teach/2/cruise

13 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Explain?

The letter sent out late last night said that it will take 90 days to process refunds for those who choose to take them versus the FCC. Which means they currently have a loan of a few thousand dollars from me for my 3/15 and 3/22 sailings that were canceled.

14 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

Just got on (and off) the Sun today. We were canceled 30 minutes before sailaway. It was very sad for us, but my heart broke for the crew. Both our butler and concierge were very concerned about their jobs.

Did you talk to Susanna and Francis?   I got off yesterday morning and we were told that originally your cruise had 2200 people cruising but by yesterday morning it was just over 1000.   So sorry you had to get on only to get off again.   It was heart breaking at the airport in Orlando.   All the kids heading home after just arriving with their vacations to Disney cancelled.   It is so hard for them to understand it.   

8 minutes ago, luv2c00k said:

Did you talk to Susanna and Francis?   I got off yesterday morning and we were told that originally your cruise had 2200 people cruising but by yesterday morning it was just over 1000.   So sorry you had to get on only to get off again.   It was heart breaking at the airport in Orlando.   All the kids heading home after just arriving with their vacations to Disney cancelled.   It is so hard for them to understand it.   

I talked to Susanna and bother she and our butler, Jane, were concerned about their jobs. ☹️

Edited by FLcruisergrl

1 minute ago, FLcruisergrl said:

I talked to Susanna and bother she and our butler, Jane, we’re concerned about their jobs. ☹️

The crew was so great on our cruise.   I know people are saying the crew will be sent home but many of them cannot get home because of airline restrictions.   

17 hours ago, jancl57 said:

I can't imagine the ships heading to Italy will be cleared in 30 days.  I hope so, we haven't canceled our May 28 out of Rome....yet.

I would cancel if I was you Italy is the worst affected in Europe - It ill be months before Italy is back on line!!

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

So far, I don't think NCL has lost any significant money.... this week will be their first big loss with no onboard spending, but they haven't refunded anyone any cash yet and they haven't had anyone use their credited FCC yet.... Aside from the inability to sell last-minute firesale staterooms for this week and next week's sailings, and on board spending, this hasn't cost them much money YET. It will definitely cost them quite a bit moving forward, which is why they aren't even beginning to take requests for cash refunds until the 23rd and aren't processing them for 90 days. We have all given NCL an interest free loan to help keep them afloat.

Fairly certain they have seeing cash flow dry up.  In normal times there would be people calling in and putting down deposits and advance booking up to a year out.  Over the past week or two the amount of cash in the door has to have been significantly down over past years.  

Even if they keep deposits in some sort of escrow account, in any given week the money in (new deposits) should be greater or equal to the amount out (refunds + transfer to operating for started cruises).  Would be surprised that is the case now.  

21 hours ago, teach/2/cruise said:

Does anyone have any idea where all of the ships will dock during this suspension?  I can't think of any ship yard that would be big enough or have enough dock space for the length of the suspension.  

I'm sure they will be doing deep cleaning, repairs, etc.  The ships should be shiny and clean when they are back up and running.

Norwegian Sky and Pearl will be docked in Jacksonville. Carnival Sensation will be here as well as Carnival Ecstasy which is homeported here. 

3 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

I talked to Susanna and bother she and our butler, Jane, were concerned about their jobs. ☹️

Is Jane by any chance the butler named Mary Jane, who goes by Jane?  If so, she was fabulous on the Jewel a few years ago.

And, regardless of who any of these folks on the crew are, on any ship, I of course hope they all keep their jobs.

Just now, Turtles06 said:

Is Jane by any chance the butler named Mary Jane, who goes by Jane?  If so, she was fabulous on the Jewel a few years ago.

And, regardless of who any of these folks on the crew are, on any ship, I of course hope they all keep their jobs.

Nope, different. I met Mary Jane on the Epic a few years ago. This is Jane, she is young and from the Philippines.  Really energetic and was eager to “surprise us” and give us “whatever we wanted”. I’m so sad-I have a feeling she would’ve been awesome!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, linbobky said:

these are the ships that came in today. what are they going to do with tomorrows ships? canaveral has the same problem.

Ships laying at the cruise terminals will need to move for inbound ships with pax, but empty inbounds will have to find space where ever.  There are container docks on the other side of Dodge Island, there is the Miami anchorage, and there is Freeport in the Bahamas.  I see a Celebrity ship is relocating from Miami to Tampa.  FLL/Port Everglades has container docks that can be used, or again, Freeport.  Adventure of the Seas is going to anchor at PEV.  Canaveral is limited, but has an anchorage.  Places like FLL/PEV are not the best anchorages, but they've got the power and the crew to be able to deal with things if it gets nasty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, doneall50 said:

Norwegian Sky and Pearl will be docked in Jacksonville. Carnival Sensation will be here as well as Carnival Ecstasy which is homeported here. 

They surely can't all dock at the cruise terminal.  Will they be at commercial docks?  I see on Marinetraffic that Ecstasy is already there, and NCL Sky heading that way...EM

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

They surely can't all dock at the cruise terminal.  Will they be at commercial docks?  I see on Marinetraffic that Ecstasy is already there, and NCL Sky heading that way...EM

The must be able to drop anchor, shut down to minimal power and ride it our for two weeks someplace?

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

The must be able to drop anchor, shut down to minimal power and ride it our for two weeks someplace?

As noted in a previous post (yes, it was regarding Miami but similar applies to Tampa), there is also an "anchorage" for the port of Tampa.  If you search for Tampa on marinetraffic.com you'll see both the port and the anchorage show up in the results.

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Not certain about Florida.  Up hear near Vancouver and Seattle if your ever in a float plane in the area you see lots of cargo ships at anchorage while they wait for their turn in port.   There are basically designated parking spaces for ships where they can wait.  

May be a bit easier in the pacific north west and BC with all the islands, protected inlets and channels to find protected spaces between the various little islands.  Florida probably has similar locations.    

A friend of mine is on a Carnival cruise (don't know which ship, but they are in the Caribbean). She spoke to a crew member there and was told most crew would stay on board and continue to work (cleaning, general upkeep, etc). At least until the 30 days are over. So I don't think every ship is just going to send everyone home.

The Sky and Pearl will be docking in Jacksonville.  They will be keeping company with the existing Carnival ship that is home ported here along with an additional Carnival ship.

The Blount Island and Dames point terminals handle container ships and car carriers.  Tallyrand was historically a bulk freight terminal.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/03/14/jaxport-will-accommodate-florida-cruise-ships-displaced-due-to-covid-19-threat/

8 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

So I don't think every ship is just going to send everyone home.

In no way trying to demean anyone as all employees are valued.  I imagine the "talent" or entertainment crew, performers, etc will probably be sent home but the "back of house" and housekeeping folks will probably remain on ship.

4 hours ago, Laszlo said:

If you look at the live camera what do you see? Looks like the Seaside at anchor off the beach

Scarlet Lady is docked in Miami. She managed to squeeze in between the 2 ships already docked there.

image.png.1d94fc2e6e0dc00b00bf8bdbbb3fa57c.png

image.png.42587ac5fee31c4d2da4a6d13d5dad03.png

Edited by bluesea777