Confirmed COVID - Celebrity Silhouette, Feb 23 - Mar 6 Southern Caribbean

spryder

41 minutes ago, spryder said:

This is very selfish....he knew he was sick, didn't report, flew home and THEN went to hospital much later.  No excuse for it.  Obviously he didn't want to self isolate on the ship and wanted to get home before anyone knew about it.  This affects more cases in his home area AND all the people on the plane, airport, cab, etc.  One other person did this reportedly, and was criminally charged....not sure where this happened.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

This is very selfish....he knew he was sick, didn't report, flew home and THEN went to hospital much later.  No excuse for it.  Obviously he didn't want to self isolate on the ship and wanted to get home before anyone knew about it.  This affects more cases in his home area AND all the people on the plane, airport, cab, etc.  One other person did this reportedly, and was criminally charged....not sure where this happened.

He may not have known the symptoms were COVID-19.  I give the benefit of doubt.  He may have felt ill on board and thought flu or cold.  Once at home, he may have second thoughts of what he may or may not have.  At the very least, he did go to doctor and was tested.  Now in self-isolation.

There is likely very much under reporting going on as people are thinking they have the flu vs. COVID-19.  There was even an interview with the Director of CDC who finally admitted / fessed up that COVID-19 cases are being under reported AND those not tested are being sent home to rest, being diagnosed as having the flu, when actually they have the coronavirus.

Let’s hope they can do more tracing in Kitchener-Waterloo, as this is the second case reported.  First one was from Celebrity Summit, also from the K-W region.

• Like 4

I think pax might be more likely to come forward and report symptoms (Noro, flu, Covid-19) to shipboard medical if  the negatives of isolation in-cabin were balanced with a package of positives (free internet, etc) for the duration of the incident. The pennies invested in these moves could perhaps yield dividends in better compliance with self-reporting of illness. Perhaps.

Edited by OuiOnboard
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

He may not have known the symptoms were COVID-19.  I give the benefit of doubt.  He may have felt ill on board and thought flu or cold.  Once at home, he may have second thoughts of what he may or may not have.  At the very least, he did go to doctor and was tested.  Now in self-isolation.

There is likely very much under reporting going on as people are thinking they have the flu vs. COVID-19.  There was even an interview with the Director of CDC who finally admitted / fessed up that COVID-19 cases are being under reported AND those not tested are being sent home to rest, being diagnosed as having the flu, when actually they have the coronavirus.

Let’s hope they can do more tracing in Kitchener-Waterloo, as this is the second case reported.  First one was from Celebrity Summit, also from the K-W region.

I very often give someone the benefit of the doubt.  However, anyone living on this planet and also travelling within the past two months, their first suspicion should be COVID-19.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

However, anyone living on this planet and also travelling within the past two months, their first suspicion should be COVID-19.

I agree with that - but there is still a large % of the planet that are just unaware.   Me?  first thought is COVID-19, but my conversations with people in general result in - ohhhh probably just the flu ...

Anyhow - it is what it is ... hopefully people become more aware of the virus, its impact, and social responsibility.

1 hour ago, oceangoer2 said:

And this is exactly why cruises had to be shut down as it only takes one person like this to impact hundreds onboard (with them not feeling the effects until they disembark).

• Like 10

1 hour ago, weregoingcruising said:

Wife and I were on this cruise and have no symptoms.

You might still have it though since it can take up to 14 days for symptoms to show. You should self-quarantine for 6 days since it appears you left the ship 8 days ago.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

You might still have it though since it can take up to 14 days for symptoms to show. You should self-quarantine for 6 days since it appears you left the ship 8 days ago.

and let friends / family know that you were on ship with a confirmed case, so they too can watch for symptoms.  Many people are asymptomatic carriers.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

So what happens to the cruise starting Mar 6th to 23rd. If there were B2B Passengers  still on her it could cause a big problem OntarioCruiser.

Yup. Most of the same crew too, all of whom may have been exposed. If they follow what happened with other ships like this then they will identify anyone onboard showing cold symptoms and then be held offshore while those people are tested for the virus. If anyone does then ship passengers and crew would likely be quarantined.

• Like 1

One of the unanswered questions is how did this passenger get the coronavirus?  Did he already have it (but without symptoms) prior to embarkation?  Or did he get it from another passenger or crew member on Silhouette?  The answer would be important for all.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, colliercruiser said:

One of the unanswered questions is how did this passenger get the coronavirus?  Did he already have it (but without symptoms) prior to embarkation?  Or did he get it from another passenger or crew member on Silhouette?  The answer would be important for all.

At this point it doesn't really matter. What matters is checking that none of the crew or passengers currently onboard have it. Also to check in case any crew who were on the prior sailing didn't transfer to other ships.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Good advice we plan to follow and call our Dr. to see if he wants us tested. We will notify as many people we can of our situation. Thank You

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OuiOnboard said:

I think pax might be more likely to come forward and report symptoms (Noro, flu, Covid-19) to shipboard medical if  the negatives of isolation in-cabin were balanced with a package of positives (free internet, etc) for the duration of the incident. The pennies invested in these moves could perhaps yield dividends in better compliance with self-reporting of illness. Perhaps.

free internet???? come on

We are currently on board this sailing.  There has been no communication of the previous passenger.  We have spoken with guests on back2back cruises along with the staff.  I would veiw this now that we have now been in with people who have been potentially been in contact with the covid19 case.

I came across the case last night as this individual is from our home town.

You would think at the least we would have a letter advising us of the risk.  Feels like self isolation could be necessary as we do not want to be the ones to spread this to others IF we are in fact carriers.

• Like 1

Well that's just great.   We were also on the Silhouette on that cruise.  I feel like I have a little bit of a cold, but it feels a lot worse now.  I wish I knew if we had any contact with this passenger.  As we were waiting in line to get off with several Canadians and it sure seemed like most of them were coughing.

1 minute ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Well that's just great.   We were also on the Silhouette on that cruise.  I feel like I have a little bit of a cold, but it feels a lot worse now.  I wish I knew if we had any contact with this passenger.  As we were waiting in line to get off with several Canadians and it sure seemed like most of them were coughing.

You don’t even have to be in contact with a passenger, the virus lingers on surfaces for a good amount of time.  Think public shared facilities of washrooms, elevators, bars, dining room, etc.

Self-isolation would likely be highly recommended if you are unwell after the cruise.

• Like 1