Freedom denied entry to San Juan this morning

26 minutes ago, sunbrookgal said:

Let me reflect upon the logic of this. The crew and passengers were in PR not but last week. They had plenty of opportunity to spread then. Now, The PR residents on this ship will Fly back home next week. They will possibly infect the mainland residents who come in contact. The flight crews as well. Who on occasion overnight in PR. Oh and the PR airport staff who come in contact. Oh and the people who take them home. Yes their friends and family as well. So, what the heck id the logic here? Zip. 

Clearly the World situation with the pandemic  is fluid, I would like to know how many from PR are actually on board?  The World did not take an abundance of caution after 50 million were quarantined in China.  The World is trying to play catch up.  The cruiseship industry if it were a country, I believe is ranked number 9 as the most cases of corona.  No Way no how I am letting a cruise ship port in my country, my city, my state.  This plague is unbelievably contagious.  I would also shut down all airlines, all modes of public transportation.   The curve must be flattened in order to save lives.  The hospitals can not handle a bunch of sick old people.  That is the biggest concern the healthcare system. 

• Like 1

Since you have been on a weeklong cruise and businesses saw where this was headed days ago with travel restrictions and growing confirmed cases, does it seem a bit...I don't know, don't jump on me, searching for the right word negligent...........or arrogant........ that Royal would try to run the entire length of the voyage?  I understand ALL ships have been denied entry to San Juan today.  So this is not only Royal Caribbean.  I feel similarly of the cruise lines that continued trying to finish itineraries after 3 or 4 days ago.  There are a few ships in search of a port and none available, so at least you have a destination. 

• Like 3

Too much hysteria on this.  If I had family on Freedom, I would want them to be able to come home as soon as possible.  The pandemic is bad, but not as bad as most are making out.  Stay calm, be reasonable, chill, and it will pass.  For most people who catch it, it will be little more than a short case of the sniffles.  If you have underlying health issues, stay away from places/situations which will put you at risk.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Too much hysteria on this.  If I had family on Freedom, I would want them to be able to come home as soon as possible.  The pandemic is bad, but not as bad as most are making out.  Stay calm, be reasonable, chill, and it will pass.  For most people who catch it, it will be little more than a short case of the sniffles.  If you have underlying health issues, stay away from places/situations which will put you at risk.  

Math is math 

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en?fbclid=IwAR0Le0xCBAL1jzi4nb0eKXFN6LswYB3tO5wM2Z1y4EaSsGKsj4dU2EQ6OjA

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

For the old people it is not about sniffles, thats the problem, the healthcare system cant handle large amounts of old sick people.  Flatten the curve.  In Italy some  people in hospitals are just being left to die, over age 60 no ventilator for you.  Hospitals in Italy, the doctors have to decide who they are going to try to save.  It is horrible.

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 of us are on Freedom.    No illness here.  San Juan said if we docked, couldn't disembark for at least 4 days.   On our way to Miami.   As fluid as the situation is,  I hope Miami officials havn't changed their minds by the time we arrive.    In the meantime, we're just on a longer cruise. 

• Like 2

Yes,  it was less than 12 hours notice.    RC is handling it as well as can be expected.   I'm wondering about Puerto Rico's reasoning also since over half the cruise ship is turning right around and flying back there.

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Since you have been on a weeklong cruise and businesses saw where this was headed days ago with travel restrictions and growing confirmed cases, does it seem a bit...I don't know, don't jump on me, searching for the right word negligent...........or arrogant........ that Royal would try to run the entire length of the voyage?  I understand ALL ships have been denied entry to San Juan today.  So this is not only Royal Caribbean.  I feel similarly of the cruise lines that continued trying to finish itineraries after 3 or 4 days ago.  There are a few ships in search of a port and none available, so at least you have a destination. 

Well put, I was thinking the same thing. I was also wondering why in the world the Cruise line would not cancel this cruise in light of everything going on......wait, I do know.....they really badly needed the money. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Well put, I was thinking the same thing. I was also wondering why in the world the Cruise line would not cancel this cruise in light of everything going on......wait, I do know.....they really badly needed the money. 

It is sad, maritime safety is all about planning for these sort of contingencies, the hand writing was on the wall well over 2 weeks ago, obviously marketeers and not mariners are in charge at RCL and many of the other lines; this needs to change if the cruise industry is to survive.

Edited by samiam1
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

If the cruise is cut short, they lose the money anyway and have to refund; really a bad bet by the cruise line.  You have to wonder who is making these dangerous and foolhardy decisions? Not professional mariners, that is for sure.

Edited by samiam1

54 minutes ago, msstatemom said:

Yes,  it was less than 12 hours notice.    RC is handling it as well as can be expected.   I'm wondering about Puerto Rico's reasoning also since over half the cruise ship is turning right around and flying back there.

How do you know half are flying back to puerto rico?  Yes indeed odd.  

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

This cruise was already in progress when RCI decided to stop cruising for 30 days. This affected people who had booked B2B. The situation has been evolving so quickly that I am not surprised the people in charge can’t keep up. We had 6 days of a perfectly normal cruise, then yesterday in St. Thomas some sites were closed. A family I talked to were having trouble first something to do with their children. Yesterday evening the Freedom’s captain announced we were fine to dock in San Juan. Obviously that was wrong.  We would have been the last ship to dock in San Juan. 2 docked yesterday and their passengers were able to go on their way. Since then, from what I read on the Fox News site, a small number of people were diagnosed with corvid 19, 2 had come from a cruise and the governor of PR shut the port. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MalteseMama2 said:

This cruise was already in progress when RCI decided to stop cruising for 30 days. This affected people who had booked B2B. The situation has been evolving so quickly that I am not surprised the people in charge can’t keep up. We had 6 days of a perfectly normal cruise, then yesterday in St. Thomas some sites were closed. A family I talked to were having trouble first something to do with their children. Yesterday evening the Freedom’s captain announced we were fine to dock in San Juan. Obviously that was wrong.  We would have been the last ship to dock in San Juan. 2 docked yesterday and their passengers were able to go on their way. Since then, from what I read on the Fox News site, a small number of people were diagnosed with corvid 19, 2 had come from a cruise and the governor of PR shut the port. 

Not surprised, 95% rest Ports shutting down/banned, Imagine being in this situation: 

A transatlantic cruise ship carrying more than 600 passengers with at least five confirmed coronavirus cases on board is frantically searching for somewhere to dock after it was refused entry at multiple Caribbean ports.
British officials have launched an intense diplomatic effort to find a country willing to take the the MS Braemar, which belongs to the British company Fred Olsen Cruise Lines. Twenty passengers and another 20 crew members, including a doctor, are in isolation after displaying influenza-like symptoms while traveling on the the ship.
The Braemar is anchored about 25 miles offshore in the Bahamas waiting for clearance from the local government to bring aboard vital food, fuel and medications and two doctors and two nurses who are preparing to assist the onboard medical team.
The vessel, which is carrying 682 passengers and 381 crew members, arrived in the Bahamas on Saturday. Authorities there were the latest to prevent it from docking but was given permission to drop anchor southwest of Freeport.
"No other Caribbean ports were willing to accept the ship because of local sensitivities towards COVID-19 coronavirus," the company said in a statement.
British government sources familiar with the efforts to find a suitable port for the Braemar told CNN that the UK is in discussions with authorities in Cuba and the US, with Cuba looking the more likely option.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MalteseMama2 said:

Thanks for posting.

Hoping you and all passengers will get home soon safely.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Darcy03231 said:

DIL is on the Norwegian Epic and they were turned away from PR today too.   They're on their way to Port Everglades.

Yup, shutdown. Seen other ships turned around cutting Cruise short and heading home

Edited by ONECRUISER

5 hours ago, Newleno said:

For the old people it is not about sniffles, thats the problem, the healthcare system cant handle large amounts of old sick people.  Flatten the curve.  In Italy some  people in hospitals are just being left to die, over age 60 no ventilator for you.  Hospitals in Italy, the doctors have to decide who they are going to try to save.  It is horrible.

Well said. Unfortunately Italy is now seeing a spike in critically ill young people. This is evolving and not a case of the sniffles. Very hard on the medical professional’s that have to make these hard ethical decisions. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Well said. Unfortunately Italy is now seeing a spike in critically ill young people. This is evolving and not a case of the sniffles. Very hard on the medical professional’s that have to make these hard ethical decisions. 

Oh my i hope this is just a horrible anomaly or mistaken information.   Do you remember the news source?  I would like to read it, thanks

Edited by Newleno