How and when are they getting home?

marco

We were on a Caribbean cruise last month out of Fla.  There were a good number of Europeans on board and there probably were and are on other ships, as well.  With the current air travel ban, for these folks who quite recently ended a cruise....I'm wondering how and when are they going home?

The air travel ban is for Europeans travelling TO the USA.  There is no travel ban going to Europe.  That said, there could be a shortage of flights, specially for those whose cruises have ended earlier than scheduled, as airlines will not keep flying the planes when they are not full.  Also, some European counties have closed their borders, but they are a minority.  Most European airports are operational for the moment.

So what are some airlines doing?  Flying to the US empty and flying back to Europe with passengers?

Just wondering how the cruise lines and airlines are dealing with this.

Edited by marco

10 minutes ago, marco said:

So what are some airlines doing?  Flying to the US empty and flying back to Europe with passengers?

No. Americans and green card holders and the families are flying back to the US. The planes may not be full...probably are for right now, but that will trickle off as all of the Americans who want to return to the US will...but they aren't empty. And as a large number of Americans are stranded overseas due to cancel world cruises and other foreign cruises, thinking it will take a while for the flow to wind down. Guess you didn't see the story about the massive lines at Newark yesterday...

There's also an article about "ghost flights" where some airlines are flying empty planes because there are some "use it or lose it" rules in the EU.  

Edited by Philob

P&O Britannia is in the Caribbean, taking passengers from Europe to the ship on chartered aircraft, half on the Friday, and half on Saturday.

Passengers flew out on Friday to discover that the ship wasn't sailing the two week cruise but was returning to the UK the next day. The Friday ex passengers flew home, including any of the new batch who wanted to return.

Saturday's new passengers were informed that their cruise was cancelled. The passengers due to leave the ship on the Saturday apparently boarded planes which had flown over empty.

• Like 1

One of my neighbors is a British national.  He was supposed to fly back to London on Tuesday.  He finally got through to BA and learned that he's pretty well stuck here for the foreseeable future.  

1 hour ago, jocap said:

P&O Britannia is in the Caribbean, taking passengers from Europe to the ship on chartered aircraft, half on the Friday, and half on Saturday.

Passengers flew out on Friday to discover that the ship wasn't sailing the two week cruise but was returning to the UK the next day. The Friday ex passengers flew home, including any of the new batch who wanted to return.

Saturday's new passengers were informed that their cruise was cancelled. The passengers due to leave the ship on the Saturday apparently boarded planes which had flown over empty.

Here in Barbados,

where a bunch of cruises terminate on weekends

a bunch of folks were flown out, back to the UK/Europe

but as Jocap said above, empty-leg planes flew down from the UK

to take them back home

but no new arrivals for this weekend's cruisers, sorry people!

Ships might mothball here, or maybe out in Carlisle Bay

so cargo can be facilitated in the Bridgetown Port?

Local newspaper article...

https://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/news/244386/cruise-passengers-barbados-heading-home

11 hours ago, marco said:

My wife and I just flew back from Norway via Denmark on SAS Saturday. The plane was half full in economy, 4 pax in premium economy, and 2 in business. According to the crew the plane was turning around with European pax that day. The crew was scheduled to overnight at EWR and fly back Sunday. I don’t know whether that actually occurred.

SAS dropped a number of transatlantic flights. We were ticketed on OSL to EWR direct, but that flight was dropped. SAS was only flying to the US from Copenhagen and Stockholm and just a total of 4 flights daily. They flew many more US to Europe flights previously (I don’t know how many). The day we left, Denmark was scheduled to “close their borders” at noon. 

The biggest problem we faced was getting cleared through all the US controls. It was a mess in Newark. Not as bad as the stuff I saw in Chicago, but a mess. There was one person checking temperatures. Every single passenger and crew had to pass through this one person in scrubs, mask, face guard, and gown.

There were quite a number of people in civilian clothes, some masked and others not, directing us from the plane to the customs hall where the health check was. If you know EWR, you know that no one needs to be directed on that route. It’s a cattle chute you can’t get out and you have to try really hard to get lost. Those “traffic cops” said they were from CDC, surely they could have taken temperatures even if they are not medical professionals. 

Once we entered the customs hall only a few (it looked like 4, maybe 5) of the CBP processing booths were open. There were a lot of people waiting in the winding line to be processed. This line was nothing like as crowded as it usually is, but not many processing points were open. There were quite a number (maybe 20) of CBP appearing people just standing around in small groups seemingly just talking to each other. They were nowhere close to the passengers.

Baggage claim was quick. No surprise as we sat in the plane at the gate with the door open for about an hour and a half  before being allowed off. Newark’s baggage claim area has 7, maybe 8 belts. All were full and there were bags for an additional 4 flights on the floor. That meant there were at least 11 or 12 planes of passengers either being processed through CPB and the health screening or sitting on planes waiting to be processed. 

The final indignity was that every single bag had to go through the only agricultural scanner that was operating. Every bag of every person. That certainly wasn’t going to catch anyone with the corona virus. All it accomplished was create an additional line putting people in close proximity. If you fly internationally, typically only those people that declare they have foods and a small proportion of others get screened by agriculture. We observed somewhere around 20 people being screened. Not one bag was pulled. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

No. Americans and green card holders and the families are flying back to the US. The planes may not be full...probably are for right now, but that will trickle off as all of the Americans who want to return to the US will...but they aren't empty. And as a large number of Americans are stranded overseas due to cancel world cruises and other foreign cruises, thinking it will take a while for the flow to wind down. Guess you didn't see the story about the massive lines at Newark yesterday...

Wouldn’t you think if only US citizens and permanent residents needed to go through immigration it would be quick?

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Its not just immigration. Its also a CDC health check, and tracking.

I was referring to the lines for CBP. That, along with the agriculture scanner, were the real bottlenecks at Newark. There were uniforms just standing around while processing stations were not opened. Also, they weren’t using GE. It would have been simple to increase the throughput. 
The overt health check was a temperature check using an infrared thermometer, it took only a second or two. It is possible that some of the people standing around or being “traffic cops” were observing us for other symptoms. There were so many of them that it didn’t add time to the process. 
Tracking was accomplished with a simple form. Name, address, phone number, and email; circle the countries visited; do you have fever, cough, did you have contact with anyone that had COVID? This was filled out on the plane and collected at the temperature check. Again not much time added.

On 3/15/2020 at 12:45 PM, marco said:

We were on a Caribbean cruise last month out of Fla.  There were a good number of Europeans on board and there probably were and are on other ships, as well.  With the current air travel ban, for these folks who quite recently ended a cruise....I'm wondering how and when are they going home?

I read on line that a British cruise ship with passengers and crew who have the virus will be allowed to dock in Cuba .Those who are citizens of the UK will be taken to an airport to fly home.Apparently no other island would allow them to do this.

• Like 1

Though not for a cruise, we are scheduled to go to England next week for a much anticipated wedding. Plans were etched in stone, but along came the damn virus.  Two family member opted to cancel immediately - told them to wait for the airlines to cancel so they could possibly get a refund. Our flights have changed multiple times [Virgin is so overwhelmed, they aren't even notifying passengers].  I can't tell you how many times I have had to contact the transfer service from LHR to our hotel in Southampton - Blackberry has been very understanding. Then Virgin changed our flights significantly, so we needed another pre-stay day at the Novotel. Kudos to Accor and the hotel for being so understanding and willing to cancel a room for 2 members of the group and post back to the CC for a non-flex rate. 

The bridal party cannot fly to the UK - some are medical professionals. At least I got my sister, Mom of the bride,  to BOS at the last minute for a  VS flight to LHR. The bride and groom's honeymoon to S Africa is canceled, too.

Virgin isn't flying the BOS-LHR route, same with Newark. Now, doing  a mock booking, I see the  booking has been handed off to Delta - out of JKF. Same situation for the return flight. Try calling - at least a 3 hour wait; they suggest waiting until 72 hours before the original scheduled flight....let's see, what one was that?

At this point, I'm letting the reservations "ride" and as we get closer to travel dates, then put through a request to cancel and reimburse. We will go back to England at a later date, spend time with family,  maybe  tack on a river cruise through Germany again. 

Just got an email that English Heritage is shutting down their historical sites until May 1 - so much for absorbing history. That will impact many visitors to England.

We are dealing with unprecedented, complex social changes and major medical issues. As much as we want things to go as planned, not going to happen. 

I've spent a good part of today chatting with my sister and niece [maid of honor] looking at return flights to the USA. Their Virgin flights no longer exist. Whatever flights they get, they will be required to self quarantine for 14 days upon return - at least that's what is says of an hour ago. I said I would borrow a neighbor's pick up truck to drive to BOS to meet them, and they can sit in the open section/bed -  they thought I was being funny!!!

Sorry so long, but thought it best to share a real-time situation.

Darcy

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I read on line that a British cruise ship with passengers and crew who have the virus will be allowed to dock in Cuba .Those who are citizens of the UK will be taken to an airport to fly home.Apparently no other island would allow them to do this.

Yes, it's Fred Olsen's Braemar, which should be in Havana by now. British Airways are flying out to collect them on Wednesday- there's about 600+ passengers on board. They all will be British/Irish and perhaps a very few other Europeans on board.

I just got an email from a USA [Boston area] friend who is in quarantine in Cambodia. Seems 3 passengers on a flight tested positive due to exposure  by a passenger on their flight from London to Ho Chi Minh City. The other 26 passengers and crew tested negative, but they have to wait another week in quarantine and for another test before they are cleared for a flight home. And search for a flight...

Darcy

16 hours ago, cb at sea said:

They can fly anywhere except the USA.  Getting home should be no issue.

That's really not true anymore. More and more countries are shutting down borders to non-citizens/non-residents. Airlines, due to low demand, are dropping their number of flights/seats available. It's becoming harder and harder to get home if you haven't yet. 

On 3/17/2020 at 9:30 PM, WatchHill said:

Though not for a cruise, we are scheduled to go to England next week for a much anticipated wedding. Plans were etched in stone, but along came the damn virus.  Two family member opted to cancel immediately - told them to wait for the airlines to cancel so they could possibly get a refund. Our flights have changed multiple times [Virgin is so overwhelmed, they aren't even notifying passengers].  I can't tell you how many times I have had to contact the transfer service from LHR to our hotel in Southampton - Blackberry has been very understanding. Then Virgin changed our flights significantly, so we needed another pre-stay day at the Novotel. Kudos to Accor and the hotel for being so understanding and willing to cancel a room for 2 members of the group and post back to the CC for a non-flex rate. 

The bridal party cannot fly to the UK - some are medical professionals. At least I got my sister, Mom of the bride,  to BOS at the last minute for a  VS flight to LHR. The bride and groom's honeymoon to S Africa is canceled, too.

Virgin isn't flying the BOS-LHR route, same with Newark. Now, doing  a mock booking, I see the  booking has been handed off to Delta - out of JKF. Same situation for the return flight. Try calling - at least a 3 hour wait; they suggest waiting until 72 hours before the original scheduled flight....let's see, what one was that?

At this point, I'm letting the reservations "ride" and as we get closer to travel dates, then put through a request to cancel and reimburse. We will go back to England at a later date, spend time with family,  maybe  tack on a river cruise through Germany again. 

Just got an email that English Heritage is shutting down their historical sites until May 1 - so much for absorbing history. That will impact many visitors to England.

We are dealing with unprecedented, complex social changes and major medical issues. As much as we want things to go as planned, not going to happen. 

I've spent a good part of today chatting with my sister and niece [maid of honor] looking at return flights to the USA. Their Virgin flights no longer exist. Whatever flights they get, they will be required to self quarantine for 14 days upon return - at least that's what is says of an hour ago. I said I would borrow a neighbor's pick up truck to drive to BOS to meet them, and they can sit in the open section/bed -  they thought I was being funny!!!

Sorry so long, but thought it best to share a real-time situation.

Darcy

We have been told that all weddings in the UK will be limited to 5 persons. The bride and groom, the 2 witnesses and the officiating officer, whether that is a minister, priest or registrar. There must be 1000s of distraught brides right now. 

On 3/17/2020 at 11:24 PM, cb at sea said:

They can fly anywhere except the USA.  Getting home should be no issue.

Some neighbours had their cruise cancelled after they arrived in the US. Took them a week to get a flight home. 

25 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We have been told that all weddings in the UK will be limited to 5 persons. The bride and groom, the 2 witnesses and the officiating officer, whether that is a minister, priest or registrar. There must be 1000s of distraught brides right now. 

Yes, we are painfully aware of the new restrictions.The couple will go ahead with the legal ceremony at the town hall, they were able to move up the date,  and then be together at the groom's parents' home for a quiet celebration. No reception at the golf club. We are hoping to hold a festive event in the USA in late summer if everyone is able to travel.  

My sister and niece will attempt to fly back to BOS, via JFK, on Delta, the Virgin code share partner on Wednesday. Since they will require quarantine, I'll drive their car to the airport, and DH will follow me in his.  I plan to toss them the car keys so that they can drive home together and I'll hop into DH's car, thus avoiding close contact. With that plan in place I'll be able to run errands for them as needed. 

Flights are limited to return to the USA, but we'll find something, anticipating a lengthy transit process. I did convince my sister to enroll in the STEP program - even if it gives her a false sense of security. 

I did the online application for refund with Virgin Atlantic. Our transfers were easy to cancel as neither had been a pre-pay. Blackberry and Discover the South were very understanding. DH canceled the rental car at Alamo in Southampton. Although the Novotel was booked and pre-paid on a no flex rate, they have been wonderful and prompt with communications and are processing full refund. We've stayed there before and will do it again.

We have another friend who is in quarantine in Cambodia. She said Viking  has been very good to them, even found an American doctor to handle needed medications for them. I did watch an interview with another passenger on the same river trip who told a different story - I won't comment on that. 

This crisis is ever changing and we all need to be understanding and supportive. Abiding by orders to avoid close social contact is imperative for all of us. 

Darcy