for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Lois - I did not mean to diminish what you have gone through at all.  My apologies.  I"m just in a really down self-pity day today and it got the best of me.  

Kat, we all have those days, vent away. Venting is healthy. Hope tomorrow is a better day

• Like 1

Lois - I did not mean to diminish what you have gone through at all.  My apologies.  I"m just in a really down self-pity day today and it got the best of me.  

No worries..........I know you didn't.........we do all have those days

(((((((hugs)))))))))right back at you🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I haven't checked in for a week or more, I think. I am just exhausted every day from work, but things should ease up right around the July 4th holiday....  If I can just keep going til then.

No medical issues, but I wish I had more time to enjoy making meals during this stay-at-home period. As it is, I work from 7:30-8:00 am every day until at least 7:00 pm, and then I am too tired to want to do much that's interesting. Luckily I live in an area with great take-out options. A couple of days ago I ordered dinner of two fish tacos and a delicious citrus-y jalapeno slaw. I could eat that just about every night, truthfully....  Tonight we are going to get take-out (bucatini carbonara, they do it so well!) from our local Tuscan store/take-away. Did I mention I'm also working half-days during the weekend?  So. much. fun.

Stay well everyone. Hopefully we'll all soon reach better times!

slidergirl -- OMG, your eye!  I have been meaning to get that shingles vaccine. Next time I get to my regular doctor I am getting that taken care of immediately. My GIL (grandmother in law) had shingles at the end of her life and it was horrible for her. I always knew I wanted to get the vaccine but I've just put it off. 

Good to see you again.....sorry you have been working so many hours.  A local Tuscan store? That sounds right up 

your wheelhouse😃........hope you enjoy your dinner!  I have a piece of fish I was going to make but I think I may

go out for dinner instead.  There is a place called Tru Kitchen and they have a wonderful spaghetti squash casserole

dish-------I may go for that🙂 and make the fish tomorrow.

• Like 1

Hey Kat, don’t worry we are all here for you and venting is perfectly ok! Glad that we are all here to listen and send virtual hugs. I agree  that dealing with this pandemic and all  the changes and problems it has brought makes other issues all that much worse. Based on your posts, I see you as a strong, independent individual and you will get thru’ this. Hang in there, girl, and we can have a pity party any time you want-with booze included! 

cruisemom42-those are some seriously long work hours! Hope they include overtime$$ to make it all worthwhile.  Take out sounds delicious and so welcome. That said as I sit here trying to figure out something to do with the chicken breasts that are defrosting. 

Sharon

• Like 1

Sharon, chicken breasts defrosting? There are only about 1,000 ways to make them😃.......I like to marinate them.

Put them in a ziploc bag and whatever you have in the house can work.......either a bottled marinade or your own......

lemon juice and garlic work well together.😃.......and then you can bake them!

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Sharon, chicken breasts defrosting? There are only about 1,000 ways to make them😃.......I like to marinate them.

Put them in a ziploc bag and whatever you have in the house can work.......either a bottled marinade or your own......

that's what I do with my chick.  Earlier in the week, it was a bottle of Ken's Asian Ginger dressing/marinade.  Then, I took a bag of Asian salad mix from the store, ditched the dressing that came with it.  I took a pack of Top Ramen noodles, broke them into smaller chunks and toasted it with some almonds.  Mixed it into the salad with a can (drained) of mandarin oranges,.  Cut up the chicken and put it in the salad.  Added more of the dressing to it.  Yum!!!  Newman's Italian works well for chicken.  You just need something with the acid (vinegar or the lemon) and a little oil.  

sharon: if you have salsa and cheese, broil the chicken,  Toward the end, pour salsa over the chick and add the cheese.  Simple and not much needed.  The only time I use Pace's Picante Sauce.  If you have pasta, just add the chicken (poached or broiled or baked), cut up, into the sauce.  I'll do this with good ole' garlic & oil sauce (aglio e olio).  Got salad?  do one of those 3 things to the salad, cut it up and add to the salad.

Now, I'm researching foil packet ideas for camping.  My girlfriend asked me if I wanted to go once my eye heals up.  We each make a dinner and a breakfast.  I have some ideas but I think I have to "test drive" them at home first.  We love them because we can do all the prep before we go, keep it in the cooler, and just have foil to toss and silverware to wash.  

Thanks for the cheering up y'all!  I had done some more reading up on the eye thing and it seemed that it could  be much worse than the opto told me.  Scared me a bit and the hamster wheel in my brain started going round and round...

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 2

Thanks, girls, for the ideas. Lois I also like  to  marinate in dressing or lemon juice, garlic and olive oil. I especially like to do this when the breasts have their skin  on. Really good flavor that way.  By the time I read the posts, the chicken was in the oven. I had seasoned it with a combo of spices and drizzled with olive oil. Kinda simple. I also put  a large zucchini split lengthwise in the dish. Seasoned it with lemon pepper,  sea salt and olive oil. 

Kat, I was able try your suggestion with the salsa and cheese since I had both on hand.  That really made the difference! DH liked it and since I cooked enough for another meal, I just might also use your pasta idea!  Thanks again girls! 

The packet meals sound like a great idea. Planning and prepping  it all ahead should make your camping trip really enjoyable.  

• Like 3

Good morning girls, Sharon, sometimes simple can be awesome...spices and olive oil sound delicious to me😃

And I love zucchini too.  Raw as well as cooked. It is very versatile.

Have a good day everyone.🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

Margarita mix & grill (liquified in blender for me 😢)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Margarita mix & grill (liquified in blender for me 😢)

You liquified the chicken???  I was only kidding about the Bass-o-matic!!!  

Margarita mix as a marinade would be good. 

• Like 1

You liquified the chicken???  I was only kidding about the Bass-o-matic!!!  

Margarita mix as a marinade would be good. 

Yup, wasn’t too bad. I liquified (in daughter’s Ninja). Bbq chicken (marinated in margarita mix for 24 hours) & green beans. I could taste the flavor. I added a bit of chicken stock. I still prefer actually eating it!  

• Like 2

Had an appointment with my ophthalmologist today to look at my "shingles eye."  It's slowly getting better.  My vision isn't totally fuzzy, but it's still a task to try to drive.  She said maybe 3-4 more weeks to clear it up.  But, I may be taking the HUGE pill I have for a few more months.

Since I was out, went to Whole Foods for food.  Rainier Cherries are in!! I always have to get one bag a summer.  I actually found some soft nectarines, too.  Good day for fruit.  I've got their Poke Halibut burger for dinner - uses all the good seasonings in poke and some broccoli.  Should be ok.  But, I did forget to get breakfast stuff...

OOTD:  I took a chance and put on my linen shorts. Last year, I had to wear a belt to keep them up.  Today, they just got buttoned!!!  Athleta blue/gray striped tank.  Trail runners.  I guess I have to hit the trails to work off some of that COVID weight.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, awhfy said:

Yup, wasn’t too bad. I liquified (in daughter’s Ninja). Bbq chicken (marinated in margarita mix for 24 hours) & green beans. I could taste the flavor. I added a bit of chicken stock. I still prefer actually eating it!  

My mom reached a point with her MS where she had swallowing difficulties and for several years we had to puree her food.  She never complained, and it was probably better than the feeding tube she had at the end, but I'm glad you will get to return to solids.

• Like 1

Hi girls,🙂I went out to lunch today. Yes, I have been eating out more often and making sure I order what I know is

good for me too.  Most places have more choices than we might have realized. So many folks have allergies or 

other issues...... I went to the Cheesecake Factory.  And they have some new items that are wonderful.

I had a beet salad that came with avocado, oranges, radishes with a fantastic yogurt dressing.  (it was under 

the "small plates").  And then I got the lettuce tacos.....came with grilled chicken.  So much food I have a doggie

bag!  Instead of hard shells, the lettuce was the "shell" part.   No dessert.........and unsweet tea.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls,🙂I went out to lunch today. Yes, I have been eating out more often and making sure I order what I know is

good for me too.  Most places have more choices than we might have realized. So many folks have allergies or 

other issues...... I went to the Cheesecake Factory.  And they have some new items that are wonderful.

I had a beet salad that came with avocado, oranges, radishes with a fantastic yogurt dressing.  (it was under 

the "small plates").  And then I got the lettuce tacos.....came with grilled chicken.  So much food I have a doggie

bag!  Instead of hard shells, the lettuce was the "shell" part.   No dessert.........and unsweet tea.

Good on you!  It takes a little work, but you are finding out we're not restricted to eating chicken and veggies at home!!!   I love getting my handhelds with lettuce as the "bread" or "shell".  If you crave a burger there are places that will do the lettuce for you.  I've always liked Cheesecake Factory for it's salads.  I'd get the large for lunch and take half of it home for dinner.  I'd do that if I'm in that part of Salt Lake City when I do a monthly trip down the hill.    If there is a PF Changs around JAX, they have an appetizer that is minced meat in lettuce "cups."  Good enough for a meal!

• Like 1

If you have a Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar close they have the only burger I’ll eat outside our house. They offer a ‘design your own burger’ & one of the options is lettuce wrap...it’s about a 1/4 head of crispy iceberg, just fabulous. That’ll likely be my first real food meal!  This full liquid diet is getting very, very old. Never thought I’d dread the thought of another milkshake or smoothie!  One more week then I hopefully progress to purées to mechanically soft foods (hmmmmm)  Bruising is significant & I’m pretty sore, but the GERD is nonexistent!  Melody

• Like 2

Hi, we have a PF Chang's right near me but I have never eaten there.  Maybe I need to give them a try.

And we don't have a Bad Daddy's. Never heard of them actually. 

We were talking about chicken the other day......I marinated 4 chicken breasts in basil pesto........just put them

in the oven to bake. 😃 I LOVE Pesto!  I have some veggies that are the steamers you put in the microwave.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, awhfy said:

If you have a Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar close they have the only burger I’ll eat outside our house. They offer a ‘design your own burger’ & one of the options is lettuce wrap...it’s about a 1/4 head of crispy iceberg, just fabulous. That’ll likely be my first real food meal!  This full liquid diet is getting very, very old. Never thought I’d dread the thought of another milkshake or smoothie!  One more week then I hopefully progress to purées to mechanically soft foods (hmmmmm)  Bruising is significant & I’m pretty sore, but the GERD is nonexistent!  Melody

Melody - Yay on the GERD.  

I know In & Out Burger as an "off menu" Protein Burger - uses lettuce leaves as the bun.  But, I don't think they are back East.  

Sorry you're getting tired of that liquid diet - I can't imagine having to do it.   But, I just made my afternoon snack in your honor: lemonade, frozen mango and a healthy dose of Tito's Vodka.  Blend that up and it's sooo good!!!    BTW - I had to look up  "mechanically soft foods."  Sounds better but still a bit punitive.  I'd have to go to V8 juice to get my veggie portion - no way could I do "cooked and mashed up" broccoli, carrots and asparagus 😮

• Like 1

Made my poke halibut burger.  I was pretty disappointed.  No real taste to it.  So, I whipped up a little spicy mayo with my olive oil mayo and sirracha sauce to give me some spice.  Won't be buying those again.  I was hoping I'd have another non-meat protein to eat.   I have tired of my weekly salmon, shrimp, chicken and salad right now, so I have to find something else.  Lack of appetite is apparently one of the side effects of my shingles meds.  I can stand at my fully stocked fridge and not get excited about anything.  I bought more fruit than I should have, but it's one thing I'll snack on now.   My adult mango lemonade was tasty as my afternoon snack, though.  

In and Out Burger is always busy here and their lettuce wrap burger is really good. It’s amazing how many tourists will head to In and Out when they visit CA! It does attract a crowd. 

Lois, are the servers wearing masks and gloves? They are here-not sure how I feel about that! Does it seem strange?

Kat, I’d be happy to help you out with the lack of appetite-could stand to loose a few Covid pounds! 

I’m enjoying a strawberry margarita with the Costco mix that includes the tequila. A toast to all of you! Went into Costco this morning and they had both TP and Clorox wipes-score!

Yay, have left overs for dinner so only need to make a salad.

Actually put make up on today since we went out? 

Sharon

• Like 1

Hi Sharon, yes, they are wearing masks.  I can't remember about the gloves. Did it seem strange? No, not really.

It seems many employees are wearing masks.  Actually, we have 3 or 4 places at the beach that just had some

bad news....they had some folks who got the virus and now they had to re-clean and re-close.........they had 

re-opened when things looked up...........this just happened very recently.

13 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Made my poke halibut burger.  I was pretty disappointed.  No real taste to it.  So, I whipped up a little spicy mayo with my olive oil mayo and sirracha sauce to give me some spice.  Won't be buying those again.  I was hoping I'd have another non-meat protein to eat.   I have tired of my weekly salmon, shrimp, chicken and salad right now, so I have to find something else.  Lack of appetite is apparently one of the side effects of my shingles meds.  I can stand at my fully stocked fridge and not get excited about anything.  I bought more fruit than I should have, but it's one thing I'll snack on now.   My adult mango lemonade was tasty as my afternoon snack, though.  

I had bought the Mahi Mahi burgers at Costco before my surgery. They are very good grilled with a mango salsa (also at Costco). Kind of a crab cake consistency 

Melody - No one up here has the Mahi burgers - I have to wait to go to Trader Joe's once I can see well enough to drive the far.  The halibut had that same consistency - like a crab cake.  Mango salsa sounds good on it. TJs has an Island Salsa that would work.  I was just disappointed in how bland it was.   Tonight it's tequila lime-marinated chicken skewers I bought at Whole Foods.  I put my tub of Burrata out on the counter to come to room temp so I can have it with some tomatoes and balsamic drizzle as lunch. 

Lois - I immediately got worried for you when I saw the news about the JAX COVID outbreak.  Chris Cuomo on CNN spoke with 3 of the young ladies who were in that group of 15 who got sick.  One said that because the Governor said it was OK, she didn't think much about going into a crowded bar unmasked.  She said that she now feels stupid for doing that.   

Sharon - In & Out causes quite the stir when one opens in a new territory.  I remember when one opened up in Scottsdale AZ - the drive-through line wrapped around the block!  Before I got carb-restricted, my favorite meal from there was a Grilled Cheese, Animal Style, and Wellies Animal Style (Wellies is their term for well-done fries).  It's all on the "off the menu" menu.  Now, I have to avoid the place.  If I don't have a choice, I'll suck it up and get a Protein Cheeseburger, Animal Style (remember, I don't eat red meat).  Oh - if you have a Five Guys nearby, they'll also do a "lettuce wrap" burger.  

I'm feeling so tired lately - I think it's shingles and maybe the meds.  I feel like such a slug.  Good thing I don't have a job to go to or chores that need immediate attention.  OOTD: it's a little cool today, so it's yoga knee crop pants and an old Adidas long sleeve hoody Tshirt.     

• Like 2

We got out for our first restaurant meal & headed right for LaBaguettes in Old Colorado City. Les had his favorite croissant with scrambled eggs, ham & cheese. I had my favorite gazpacho soup. Just yummy. Tables were well separated & everyone had on masks. The cook came out & said, I’ve missed you two, hope you’ve been well. Guess we’re memorable!

I got my mask at best of everything.com. It’s a FL store, has all the little doodads. Most comfy mask I’ve found & reasonable.

Time for a nap, just wore myself out. Kat, it’s the antiviral meds that are wiping you out. Melody

091199B3-3156-4A51-8D40-E36FF44C278D.jpeg

AE32068A-05A7-4143-ADC8-0D3A6D724FCF.jpeg

310C341F-7932-4B76-8DCD-C544BBA85CBC.jpeg

• Like 2