for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Waaaa.  I wanna go to Trader Joe's, but my eye won't let me drive that far yet.  It was hard just going the mile to my market and back yesterday.  So, my pocketbook is getting a little break.   The kids at the TJ's checkouts are probably used to me going "Holy Crap" each time I see the total!!!!!

I grew up in PA.  We had lots of different kinds of bologna - "regular", ring (it was like a big ring of 1 inch wide bologna),  Lebanon Bologna (my FAVE! - Boars Head has a good one, but salty).  We had a Mennonite butcher down the road that we'd buy our meats from and he had fantastic stuff.  "Regular" was the only one we fried.   Funny - we never had yogurt!  I didn't know what it was until I moved to CA when I was 12!  That and Mexican food ("what's a taco???).  Milk?  we only had whole milk from the dairy, never knew there was anything else.  First time I had non-fat, I thought it was just cloudy water.  I still can't touch it. 

Lois - yep, "real" yogurt is not carb-friendly,.  But, I can't stand the low-fat/carb-free stuff.  So, I just count that deal of Yogurt as my whole breakfast.  I'm infatuated with Noosa - most of those are in the 32-35 gr range.  Have to watch - the Lemon one, as good as it is, is something like 39 grams!  

Edited by slidergirl

Hi Kat, I think I tried the Noosa but did not like it.

One of my favorites is OUI...........it is French Style that comes in a glass jar...........it is heavenly. I buy them as a treat.

I have found some Chobani that is low in sugar and it tastes very good actually.

I drink 2% milk. 

13 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I grew up in PA.  We had lots of different kinds of bologna - "regular", ring (it was like a big ring of 1 inch wide bologna),  Lebanon Bologna (my FAVE! - Boars Head has a good one, but salty).  We had a Mennonite butcher down the road that we'd buy our meats from and he had fantastic stuff.  "Regular" was the only one we fried.   Funny - we never had yogurt!  I didn't know what it was until I moved to CA when I was 12!  That and Mexican food ("what's a taco???).  Milk?  we only had whole milk from the dairy, never knew there was anything else.  First time I had non-fat, I thought it was just cloudy water.  I still can't touch it. 

Sweet Lebanon or Regular 🙂 Most of my house is regular but DD prefers sweet.  Growing up in the NW part of the state if someone said bologna it was usually German (pinkish, larger round), later I discovered ring bologna 🥰 (more of a meat tray type food than for sandwiches, similar to summer sausage and often made with venison), and where I live now in Central PA the assumption tends to be Lebanon (Kunzler's is my preferred brand, but I don't get it very often).

I never liked yogurt growing up but recently started enjoying it.  I'm actually okay with the plain greek as long as I add berries to it.  I've heard of adding some honey too - easier to control the sugar if we add our own sweetener.

So true........those sugars are just a PITA😲.........plain yogurt is so boring.......definitely need to add fruit!!!😀

And thank you for that reply on that "buffet thread"!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Doc said I’m doing great. Moved me up to a mechanically soft diet. My supper last night, tasted like ambrosia!  No breads, anything white. I can try brown rice late next week.  Can’t drive for another month. 

daughter took me to my Chicos After the doc. I spent a fortune, but everything was so cute. I’ve dropped a full size in pants, but top remains the same. I love these pants, I have other shirts this color, so not sure on length 

BF103A5B-13CA-4BB4-AFC3-9CBB48048CAC.jpeg

2E84CAD8-7460-4C7F-990D-B0F4CF4519D1.jpeg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Doc said I’m doing great. Moved me up to a mechanically soft diet. My supper last night, tasted like ambrosia!  No breads, anything white. I can try brown rice late next week.  Can’t drive for another month. 

daughter took me to my Chicos After the doc. I spent a fortune, but everything was so cute. I’ve dropped a full size in pants, but top remains the same. I love these pants, I have other shirts this color, so not sure on length 

BF103A5B-13CA-4BB4-AFC3-9CBB48048CAC.jpeg

2E84CAD8-7460-4C7F-990D-B0F4CF4519D1.jpeg

Glad you are doing well and you look terrific.......pretty outfit.😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Sweet Lebanon or Regular 🙂 Most of my house is regular but DD prefers sweet.  Growing up in the NW part of the state if someone said bologna it was usually German (pinkish, larger round), later I discovered ring bologna 🥰 (more of a meat tray type food than for sandwiches, similar to summer sausage and often made with venison), and where I live now in Central PA the assumption tends to be Lebanon (Kunzler's is my preferred brand, but I don't get it very often).

I never liked yogurt growing up but recently started enjoying it.  I'm actually okay with the plain greek as long as I add berries to it.  I've heard of adding some honey too - easier to control the sugar if we add our own sweetener.

I'll take whatever I can get out here in UT.  But, I was a "regular" girl.  Our Mennonite butcher back in PA (still have  few relatives there) gets his from Seltzer's.  My one niece says he now has a Sweet Chipotle one that is really good.   Grandma always kept ring bologna (not the garlic one) in the fridge for snacks  Once in awhile we got Bambi sausage if someone bagged a good deer. Now, big question - scrapple???  As long as it was fried and smothered in syrup, it was OK.  

Central PA - near what town?  My family is out in the farms by Altoona. 

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Melody - those pants look dope!!!  

Those eggs - yum!!!  Did you add some milk or cream in them to make them that way???  

My darling husband is the egg king. He adds 1 tablespoon of skim milk per egg, after the egg is completely whisked. Turn continually with a rubber spatula on medium heat. Perfect everytime

• Like 2

I grew up in  Pa. .We always had ring bologna around the holidays .We never had fried bologna just sandwiches of pickle and pimento loaf with mayo. When I am nostalgic I buy enough for two sandwiches to satisfy my yearning . I should get some now .

• Like 2

17 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'll take whatever I can get out here in UT.  But, I was a "regular" girl.  Our Mennonite butcher back in PA (still have  few relatives there) gets his from Seltzer's.  My one niece says he now has a Sweet Chipotle one that is really good.   Grandma always kept ring bologna (not the garlic one) in the fridge for snacks  Once in awhile we got Bambi sausage if someone bagged a good deer. Now, big question - scrapple???  As long as it was fried and smothered in syrup, it was OK.  

Central PA - near what town?  My family is out in the farms by Altoona. 

Seltzer's is the other brand I couldn't remember - I'll have to look for the sweet chipotle to try.  I don't think I've ever had scrapple (but do enjoy spam fried with pineapple). I grew up with hog maw for special occasions and still make it for my Dad at Christmas or if my sister is in visiting.  I only eat the filling, but DS who used to be a picky eater would only eat the "skin" and maybe some potatoes (then again he also enjoys liver and onions).

I'm between Williamsport and Lewisburg, grew up on Lake Erie, but extended family are mostly from Centre County and Lycoming County so it feels more like we "moved home" when we ended up in this part of the state after a few moves early in the marriage.

6 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Seltzer's is the other brand I couldn't remember - I'll have to look for the sweet chipotle to try.  I don't think I've ever had scrapple (but do enjoy spam fried with pineapple). I grew up with hog maw for special occasions and still make it for my Dad at Christmas or if my sister is in visiting.  I only eat the filling, but DS who used to be a picky eater would only eat the "skin" and maybe some potatoes (then again he also enjoys liver and onions).

I'm between Williamsport and Lewisburg, grew up on Lake Erie, but extended family are mostly from Centre County and Lycoming County so it feels more like we "moved home" when we ended up in this part of the state after a few moves early in the marriage.

Oh my gosh!   I have not heard "hog maw" for decades!!!   I do have some Spam in the cupboard and I opened up a little can of pineapple yesterday - maybe I should fry some up!!!  

I was cruising FB yesterday afternoon and kept seeing people with Cubano sandwiches.  I ended up doing a "what do I have available" version for my afternoon snack: hamburger bun, some of ham and cheese leftover from my "hamchee" test, sliced up one of my dill pickles (always have some in the fridge), and excellent local lemon sage whole grain mustard.  Put it all together, wrapped loosely in foil and baked it for a couple of minutes at 450 until everything was hot.  I don't have a panini grill, so the bun was still "fluffy", but it tasted good!  Tonight will be the "California Roll Bowl" that I've been seeing on FB also.  Just like it sounds: rice (or ramen noodles) on the bottom  (can do sushi rice, too), flaked crab or crab, diced cucumber, avocado, spicy mayo, sesame seeds,  maybe a few shredded pieces of nori. 

I was a Blair County girl.  But, did a lot of time in Centre county.  My grand niece just graduated from Indiana University of PA.  

OOTD:  I think I'm just going to stay in my "pajamas" - an old Tshirt.  It's just too hot again for me.   

• Like 1

Love all the food talk😀.  I found a seafood place while I was out today and it was awesome 😀

All of the fish/seafood is caught locally. And prices are outstanding.  Fresh flounder plate with 2 sides

for 12 bucks! I will be going back there for sure.  It is a local place called "The Fish Company"😀.  

• Like 2

I got "fever" and decided to put on the outfit I would have worn to Andrea Bocelli IF it had happened last week.   Don't ask me why.  You can't see the jewelry - big silver earrings, my green turquoise necklace, my slab turquoise pendent, my rustic silver silver cross on a leather slide.  Gray Vneck tank, my Sundance patchwork skirt, a belt from Sundance, my Gap jeans jacket.  Booties are from Sundance (I loved them for years and they finally had them on sale this Spring).  Sunglasses by Blenders (the ones you wanted Cruise Mom, I think).  My ultra-cool hat by Sundance.  Gee can you tell where I like to shop?????  I've got the sunglasses on because I can't do any makeup on my eye yet and it is s little light-sensitive.  I'm sitting down because my only long mirror is the sliding closet doors in my small guest room and there isn't enough space between it and the bed to stand!!!!  

NOTE: as soon as i took the photo, I took everything back off!!!!

I told you all I was an old hippie lady!!!  All I need is the glass of wine in one hand and the joint in the other!!!  (kidding about the joint)

fullsizeoutput_662.jpeg

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

Kat, what a great outfit! Perfect for the concert esp with the jacket for later in the evening. Love that hat. Fingers crossed that the concert will happen next year and you will be able to go.

Sharon

thanks.  I had decided on this one instead of the long blue tank dress with the jeans jacket that I wore last year.  The first time I saw that skirt in Sundance, I had to have it.  Real boho/hippie chic and lightweight for summer.  It is actually ankle length - I wanted to show off the booties so I hiked it up a little.  I bought that hat from Sundance last Fall to take with me on my roadtrip down to South East Utah/North East Arizona.  I figured that, if I ever had to eat somewhere other than camping, I could "dress up" in my jeans, white T, the jeans jacket and the hat!!! 

Kind of strange - the concert is just in "postponed' status, not closed.  So, they still are holding my wad of money.  I guess I have the ticket and seat for the next time!  

Kat, the long tank dress would be good too and I haven’t seen that outfit but this one just has some pizazz and it sounds like you will just really enjoy wearing it WHEN( caps for positive thoughts) the concert is rescheduled. 

Sharon

3 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Kat, the long tank dress would be good too and I haven’t seen that outfit but this one just has some pizazz and it sounds like you will just really enjoy wearing it WHEN( caps for positive thoughts) the concert is rescheduled. 

Sharon

Maybe I'll inspired and put the tank outfit on tonight for photos.  I will say that the tank dress is the most expensive dress I've ever bought (including my wedding dress).  The sales woman was pretty darn good at bringing in things for me to try on because I had been talking about how I wasn't sure what worked for me with my weight loss.  And, the concert has been the only time I've worn the dress - I have nothing up here at home where a dress like that really would be what would wear.  

It's not like I have anything else to do today.  The eye still isn't good enough to make the drive down the hill to Trader Joe's.  

OOTD:  dark gray Athleta running skort and oatmeal colored Athleta tank that has zip up/down mesh vent on the sides.  It's smoking hot in the house again so hair is back up in ponytail.  At least this outfit is OK for wearing in public - just add the baseball hat and trail runners.  

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

Cute outfit Kat!

A question:

If we all got back to cruising, would I get those "how inappropriate" looks from women onboard if I wore this outfit at night on "spiffy dress" night???   😉 I'd love to take this outfit the next time I travel to Italy - it's just rebellious enough but definitely NOT a touristy look.  I remember seeing jeans jackets all over Paris.  But, I could swap it out with my black leather jacket...  

on a good note, our Governor caved in (or grew a pair, depending on your outlook) and gave permission for our County to issue a mandatory mask order.  Our tourist season is starting to ramp up and, correspondingly, we started to get an uptick in cases.   The county health dept did a survey of the population and the majority were in favor of a mandate.  

Lois - does the rescinding of the bar deal in Florida have any effect on the ability to sit and dine at a bar?  I'm hoping for you that it's only relative to the bar-only establishments, not the restaurants that have bars...  

22 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Kat that outfit would be fine on a Celebrity ship, even on Elegant Chic night

I'd probably be hissed at on HAL  😉   

I don't know if I'd have enough room in my carryon for my booties, though.  I'd have to wear it with just my usual pair of Jambus.  They make it even more Hippie!!!   Or as my niece says, more "Granola Head."  

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

A question:

If we all got back to cruising, would I get those "how inappropriate" looks from women onboard if I wore this outfit at night on "spiffy dress" night???   😉 I'd love to take this outfit the next time I travel to Italy - it's just rebellious enough but definitely NOT a touristy look.  I remember seeing jeans jackets all over Paris.  But, I could swap it out with my black leather jacket...  

on a good note, our Governor caved in (or grew a pair, depending on your outlook) and gave permission for our County to issue a mandatory mask order.  Our tourist season is starting to ramp up and, correspondingly, we started to get an uptick in cases.   The county health dept did a survey of the population and the majority were in favor of a mandate.  

Lois - does the rescinding of the bar deal in Florida have any effect on the ability to sit and dine at a bar?  I'm hoping for you that it's only relative to the bar-only establishments, not the restaurants that have bars...  

Hi, I don't know the answer to that one.......but I will find out the next time I eat out (probably this weekend).   If they 

can't serve liquor but can serve food? Not sure why they would do that........it is still making $ off the food menu.