for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

cruise kitty -- I'm looking for some masks that are more breathable. Initially we had some of the surgical ones that feel like paper, and they weren't terrible, but they are about gone and I can't get more. 

I have bought online a couple of different "cloth" ones (one of them is like an oxford-cloth shirt material, the other is more like a light terry-cloth).  I find both of them very difficult to wear -- cannot breathe well in them. And if I wear them for more than about half an hour, I start getting an oxygen-deprived headache....

I like the way the ones look from Johnny Was, but only if they are also functional for me. Can you give a bit more detail?  Easy to wear for longer periods?  Thanks!

cruisemom:  I took one out of it's packaging.  Very lightweight.   It's the "folded" cloth type rather than the straight.  The outer material is a cotton sateen and the inside is a lightweight cotton.  I can hold it up and I can see through the outer layer to the inner layer.  When I put it on, it actually feels nice against the skin and feels rather easy to breathe with.  So, to me they are more like the "surgical" ones for feel than those other cloth ones people are selling.   If you don't like them, you can always donate them to somewhere that requires masks.  

We had a fire start yesterday about 50 miles away.  Unfortunately, high winds were pushing all the smoke north to us.  It got VERY hot in the house - couldn't open the windows because the smoke was so bad.  Some of us on our neighborhood FB page were joking that at least we had masks if it got bad!   We ended up with a little rain this morning, so it helped tamp down the smoke for now.   I was going to cut down more tree shoots, but the rain put that out of the question.  

What is going on everywhere???  Fire, smoke, tropical storm, heat, protests....    It's going to be an "interesting" summer as we get into it.  

OOTD: gray french terry sleeveless hoody dress.  I think I got it from Just Fab a couple of years ago.  It is a good "house dress" when I don't want to put on shorts and a Tshirt.  As usual, no shoes.   Stay safe!!!

8 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Wishing you good thoughts for the surgery too🙂

Oh...I have to tell you all something....the nutritionist suggested butter as well.......So I bought the whipped

kind.  It is MUCH easier to spread than a stick! 

Oh yes!   I've been doing certain things in butter that i used to do in olive oil when I pan fry once in awhile.  Just a little dab does it!  I will admit that, as much as I love my popcorn naked, I have been known to melt a little and put it on there.   I'm happy to see that you are learning more and more about what you can do for your "new" diet.  It does make it seem not so draconian than we all think.  Keep it up!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

Cruisemom, thanks for the tip on EF pants. I love those, great buy. I too wear black (or bronze) silk pants with sparkly top for cruising

FYI COVID Test came out negative so surgery is on for o700 Monday morning with a show time of 0530. 

Hope everything goes well for you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

cruisemom:  I took one out of it's packaging.  Very lightweight.   It's the "folded" cloth type rather than the straight.  The outer material is a cotton sateen and the inside is a lightweight cotton.  I can hold it up and I can see through the outer layer to the inner layer.  When I put it on, it actually feels nice against the skin and feels rather easy to breathe with.  So, to me they are more like the "surgical" ones for feel than those other cloth ones people are selling.   If you don't like them, you can always donate them to somewhere that requires masks.  

Thanks, they sound good -- think I'll give them a try.

Just spent most of my morning rearranging my upcoming cruises that have still been hanging out waiting for decisions. My batting average for 2020-21 is not good so far:

February -- trip to Naples Italy for a week was a go; just got home on the heels of COVID-19 shutting everything down in Italy.

April -- Cruise on Westerdam circumnavigating Japan; I cancelled it myself just ahead of HAL cancellation; moved final payment over to August Iceland/Greenland TA on a different HAL ship.

August -- HAL cancelled the TA booked with my rollover from April (see above). Still awaiting refund of (substantial) final payment.

October -- Just now took advantage of Celebrity's "Lift and Shift" to move my two BTB Med cruises on Constellation to the same time in 2022 at no add'l cost -- which is good because all my OBC and perks transferred -- and I had a ton of both because these two cruises, in themselves, were a replacement for two ORIGINAL cruises I booked about 18 months ago --- but Celebrity changed the itineraries. So these were the consolation prize.

January 2021 -- Just changed my SA/Antarctic cruise from Jan 2021 to Jan 2022. I had to go down one cabin category to keep the price close to the same, but ended up with a 4-perk package from HAL including grats, bev package, specialty dining and OBC.

Whew!  I feel like some kind of strategic planner -- keep punting these things down the road. I am hoping that with my first cruise now scheduled for August 2021, I will now be safe from additional "moveovers".  Fingers crossed...

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Oh yes!   I've been doing certain things in butter that i used to do in olive oil when I pan fry once in awhile.  Just a little dab does it!  I will admit that, as much as I love my popcorn naked, I have been known to melt a little and put it on there.   I'm happy to see that you are learning more and more about what you can do for your "new" diet.  It does make it seem not so draconian than we all think.  Keep it up!  

Thanks. ( I have always used margarine). She recommended the butter. I asked why.....she said margarine has a lot

of artificial ingredients in it.  But I thought butter was full of fat LOL 

41 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks, they sound good -- think I'll give them a try.

Just spent most of my morning rearranging my upcoming cruises that have still been hanging out waiting for decisions. My batting average for 2020-21 is not good so far:

February -- trip to Naples Italy for a week was a go; just got home on the heels of COVID-19 shutting everything down in Italy.

April -- Cruise on Westerdam circumnavigating Japan; I cancelled it myself just ahead of HAL cancellation; moved final payment over to August Iceland/Greenland TA on a different HAL ship.

August -- HAL cancelled the TA booked with my rollover from April (see above). Still awaiting refund of (substantial) final payment.

October -- Just now took advantage of Celebrity's "Lift and Shift" to move my two BTB Med cruises on Constellation to the same time in 2022 at no add'l cost -- which is good because all my OBC and perks transferred -- and I had a ton of both because these two cruises, in themselves, were a replacement for two ORIGINAL cruises I booked about 18 months ago --- but Celebrity changed the itineraries. So these were the consolation prize.

January 2021 -- Just changed my SA/Antarctic cruise from Jan 2021 to Jan 2022. I had to go down one cabin category to keep the price close to the same, but ended up with a 4-perk package from HAL including grats, bev package, specialty dining and OBC.

Whew!  I feel like some kind of strategic planner -- keep punting these things down the road. I am hoping that with my first cruise now scheduled for August 2021, I will now be safe from additional "moveovers".  Fingers crossed...

WOW......you had a lot of bookings!  I have one cruise credit on the books but have no clue what I am going to 

use it for.........and nothing else.  What a weird time for all of us.

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Thanks. ( I have always used margarine). She recommended the butter. I asked why.....she said margarine has a lot

of artificial ingredients in it.  But I thought butter was full of fat LOL 

We need to have a little fat in our lives.  It's not like you're putting an entire stick of butter on something.  Well, if I get back to Florence, Italy again, I will go back to Sostanza and get the petti di pollo al burro - that butter chicken WAS done in a stick of butter and was heaven on earth (and I lapped up every bit of that butter)!!!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

We need to have a little fat in our lives.  It's not like you're putting an entire stick of butter on something.  Well, if I get back to Florence, Italy again, I will go back to Sostanza and get the petti di pollo al burro - that butter chicken WAS done in a stick of butter and was heaven on earth (and I lapped up every bit of that butter)!!!  

Sounds delicious🙂.....no, not using a whole stick.   She also told me pumpernickel and rye are the best breads to eat.

LOVE THEM.😀.  I had 2 slices of pump with my lunch today........put a little butter on both along with fresh turkey and cheese (open face).......along with a salad.

48 minutes ago, Lois R said:

WOW......you had a lot of bookings!  I have one cruise credit on the books but have no clue what I am going to 

use it for.........and nothing else.  What a weird time for all of us.

Sounds like a lot, but some were interim "move-overs"...

My main goal over the next year was to fit in a couple longer cruises to fill bucket list destinations, like Antarctica. The larger ships aren't going to be able to go there after the winter 2022 season (I think that's correct as of now....) and it will only be the really expensive expedition ships -- the prices for which are killer for us solos.

Good luck with your future cruises🙂

I had a delicious piece of salmon for dinner.......one of those really meaty ones......wonderful flavor. I baked it with

some sweet peppers, mushrooms and lemons.  And had a side of couscous (that was the carb)......and those

veggies were really good too.  Allowed a sugar free pudding too......so had one of those for dessert. It is less than

a 1/2 cup. 

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

cruise kitty -- I'm looking for some masks that are more breathable. Initially we had some of the surgical ones that feel like paper, and they weren't terrible, but they are about gone and I can't get more. 

I have bought online a couple of different "cloth" ones (one of them is like an oxford-cloth shirt material, the other is more like a light terry-cloth).  I find both of them very difficult to wear -- cannot breathe well in them. And if I wear them for more than about half an hour, I start getting an oxygen-deprived headache....

I like the way the ones look from Johnny Was, but only if they are also functional for me. Can you give a bit more detail?  Easy to wear for longer periods?  Thanks!

For myself the silk ones are the easiest to wear,  they are lined with a thin cotton fabric though.    If you're really having trouble with the masks I suggest you try a light scarf type instead,  it would drape over your nose and mouth & leave room for breathing since it wouldn't cling so much to your mouth & nose :)  (that drives me crazy)

or this type:

https://www.francescas.com/search.do?query=boho++bandeau&utm_source=Time+Inc+Brands&ranMID=41366&ranEAID=93xLBvPhAeE&ranSiteID=93xLBvPhAeE-C7mE1CnnhCg1baapMjDtVA&siteID=93xLBvPhAeE-C7mE1CnnhCg1baapMjDtVA&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_term=10&utm_content=93xLBvPhAeE&utm_campaign=433557&utm_source=rakuten

My internet has been out most of the time for days now, so sorry I  didn't answer sooner....  It's getting fixed on Wednesday I hope :)

2 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

For myself the silk ones are the easiest to wear,  they are lined with a thin cotton fabric though.    If you're really having trouble with the masks I suggest you try a light scarf type instead,  it would drape over your nose and mouth & leave room for breathing since it wouldn't cling so much to your mouth & nose 🙂  (that drives me crazy)

or this type:

https://www.francescas.com/search.do?query=boho++bandeau&utm_source=Time+Inc+Brands&ranMID=41366&ranEAID=93xLBvPhAeE&ranSiteID=93xLBvPhAeE-C7mE1CnnhCg1baapMjDtVA&siteID=93xLBvPhAeE-C7mE1CnnhCg1baapMjDtVA&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_term=10&utm_content=93xLBvPhAeE&utm_campaign=433557&utm_source=rakuten

My internet has been out most of the time for days now, so sorry I  didn't answer sooner....  It's getting fixed on Wednesday I hope 🙂

Thanks; I was wondering whether the silk would be better.  I've tried some bandeau type and they did not make breathing any easier.

Sorry your internet is acting up -- that would really put me in a bad state!!!  Hope it gets fixed soon.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 9:35 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I wonder if that is why I was getting a headache Friday.  DS had an x-ray for wisdom teeth followed by a blood drive for DD and I so I was masked much longer than my grocery runs.

• Like 1

Hi girls, well, we had a new phase open for restaurants around here and now you can eat meals at the bar!🙂

It will be nice to be able to do that again!!!!!!!!!!!  I will still watch what I am eating but it will be nice to go out for 

a meal.

Melody, hope everything went ok this morning.

• Like 3

BRRR!  It got down to 31 overnight!  I didn't even think about turning on the heat.  Woke up to a 54 degree house, up to 57 by 11am! I had to bring out my fleece "hang around" hoodie dress to wear this morning.  

Our COVID numbers went up more than usual - probably the Memorial Day infections.  And, I found that the Director of Housekeeping at my last hotel (not the one I was cut from) contracted COVID and passed away within a week.  Really sad, he was in his early 50s,  married with 2 kids.  

Cruise mom:  did you ever buy those sunglasses from Blender?  Just wondering since they are back in stock (if they are the ones I remember).  

Lois R - yay for eating at the bar again!  Just be sure to be assertive about your physical distancing - you know how some of those Florida people can be at the bar 😉

OOTD:  Well, I have to make round 2 visit to my pharmacy today - they got in the med that they didn't have Friday - so, with the temps still in the upper 30s, it's going to be my Lululemon cammo 7/8 leggings and my Patagonia down sweater (it's also windy).  Accessories will be my Merrell tie dye hikers (just because I haven't worn them yet this year), and one of my bandanas on my hair (too windy for a hat).  

Well, tomorrow I have a mammogram and then the colonoscopy is Thursday morning.😮............

The diet is changing again for THAT.....lots of liquids and no foods with fiber in it. I asked about the meds.....

They don't do a prescription........it is Miralax Powder and Dulcolox pills. The powder can be mixed with Gatorade

or Crystal Light. They emailed me a list of the prep...........Wednesday is liquids...you can have apple juice but I won't

because that is full of sugar. I will get some chicken broth tomorrow. No liquids with red, orange or purple food coloring.

They really stress clear liquids.   (which I remembered from the first one I ever had).  Tomorrow I will eat very light....

makes the prep easier..........yougart, cottage cheese, maybe scrambled eggs..........then Wednesday is the big change.

• Like 1

Lois, You are certainly having some eventful weeks!  I hope it all goes well for you, and for all.

Our state went to Green a few days ago.  Today we went shopping.  Even with the restriction of a mask, I had so much fun!  I found a summer shirt with flamingos all over it at Goodwill, brand new.  I would not usually wear things like that on a cruise, but since I am play-cruising on my porch, I will wear it with my palm tree pajama pants and channel Florida/Bahamas.

Then we bought some Bollywood movies and Indian pop music cd's, so we can pretend we are sailing in much more exotic seas.

And now I see that our neighbors just acquired a palm tree for their back yard.  I think they're missing their Florida vacation.  A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do...….

Hi, yes, 2020 would not be a good year for me and all my health issues......😦hopefully this will go smoothly............

Thanks for the good wishes.

• Like 2

Lois, the chicken broth sounds better than juice - it feels more "filling" to me like a meal.  Lots of sodium though 😞 Best wishes for your procedures

Shipgeeks, I'm glad you are in one of the green counties but it looks like 1/2 the counties are still yellow.  We go green this Friday but my Dad hasn't heard anything yet for Erie County.

I've been doing hair more (mostly to keep it up and out of my way), but less dressing up since I'm working out more and doing yard work.

• Like 1

I bought low sodium broth🙂...and I have some vegetable broth in the house already.  That is all for tomorrow. I can

eat food today but they say all foods low in fiber.........eggs, cottage cheese, (for example)......I will be fine for 2 days.

Oh I can have jello tomorrow too.....I got some lemon-lime, no sugar jello.  And  popsicles are on the list too........

I found some with no added sugar so bought a box.

Thanks for the good wishes.

• Like 2

Hi Ladies!  Still have internet issues so using data from my phone :)  Lots for me to catch up on here....  Lois,  I hope everything goes smoothly for your upcoming tests & the prep, not fun, but good to be proactive about your health.

Melody, I hope your surgery went well & that they were able to take care of the hernias (I think you said two right?)  anyway, sending good thoughts your way!

We're still leading our lonely at home lives here...  DH is going each day to his closed down business to clean up & pack away what he can possibly use in the future & then sell off what he won't need, so I'm alone here during the day the last few weeks...  me & the cats lol...  but they sleep all day.  

Slidergirl, I hope you don't have a bad fire season...  we had one in the canyon about a half mile from us over the weekend, idiots with fireworks, which are illegal here.  

It's a grocery store day today, & tomorrow they are sending someone to fix the internet...  they think a line possibly has a split in it, outside.

fashion wise I am wearing a dress I bought on Amazon, it's a black tank dress, cotton knit, so comfy I just ordered a second one,  only $20 if anyone needs something cool, casual & comfy !

it's the Amazon Daily Ritual Muscle-Sleeve Midi dress,  I tried posting a link but it didn't work

Edited by cruise kitty

Cruise Kitty, thanks for checking in with us🙂 I know what it is like to have to use the phone for this kind of stuff. A

real PITA.........hope you get your internet back soon!

• Like 1

Hi all just checking in. Well, after an 8 hour surgery yesterday they repaired both hernias. Then this morning they took me down for an upper GI. I’m having a real party. At least they did both repairs & I should heal now

• Like 1