for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

10 hours ago, slidergirl said:

That's how I feel about it.  I paid into it since 1970, so I think I can pick some of it back up.   I just think of some of the people in my town who are paying $1200/month in rent and lost their jobs because of the town shutdown for COVID-19.  They aren't going to make their rent, let alone buy food.   For the extra Social Security, I was married for 30 years when he dumped me for some bimbo.  I freakin' deserve some of that money!!!

Oh you absolutely deserve you share of SS and then some!

For those who need to collect unemployment, it’s not a hand out, you earned the right to use it when needed and that would certainly be now. I feel bad that everyone is having so many challenges trying to file for it.

Hoping we can put all of this behind us sooner than later.

• Like 2

In PA at least Unemployment is Unemployment Insurance.  People absolutely are entitled to use it right now.

Slightly back on topic, today I painted my nails a pretty spring purple and threw my too long hair in a high bun using the bun maker my daughter got me for Christmas 🙂 Now I'm all sorts of fancy to run the sweeper and dust 😉 

2 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

In PA at least Unemployment is Unemployment Insurance.  People absolutely are entitled to use it right now.

Slightly back on topic, today I painted my nails a pretty spring purple and threw my too long hair in a high bun using the bun maker my daughter got me for Christmas 🙂 Now I'm all sorts of fancy to run the sweeper and dust 😉 

Good morning!  I really need to do something about my nails...  I actually had a dream the other night about getting a mani/pedi :)  good for you with the hair....  I've got an old bun makers somewhere, I should dig it out....

Yesterday we went through an elaborate 3 hour process of removing the flat screen from the wall to try & hook up our old Nintendo 64.... only to discover that 75 inch 4k tv's do not support 64b technology lol....  well, tv is back on wall at least :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Sorry for the trip down OT lane...

I may try to do my nails again here pretty soon.  They break all winter long, every winter.  I'll have to look and see what old color I have around - either the very neutral I used for work at the old hotel, maybe some Sephora for OPI that I have.

• Like 1

Last trip down the OT lane:  Here, it's Unemployment Insurance also.  But, they make you feel like a slacker if you apply.  Usually you have to have verification that you tried to get at least 4 jobs each week to get your money.  With COVID, if you lost your job or were laid off because of COVID (which I was), that job search requirement has been waived.  

I'm going to go with my metallic turquoise polish, I think.    Hey, speaking of old polish: does anyone remember the "crackle" polish of a couple of years ago???   I found a bottle of black crackle in my drawer, but I cannot remember how it was used!!!

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I’m going to go with my metallic turquoise polish, I think.    Hey, speaking of old polish: does anyone remember the "crackle" polish of a couple of years ago???   I found a bottle of black crackle in my drawer, but I cannot remember how it was used!!!

I had never heard of crackle nail polish so I googled it. I didn’t see on my quick look exactly how to use it but did see there were several Q&A sites so I imagine you’ll be able to find out how to use it.

Based on the photos I saw, I bet the black crackle & your metallic turquoise will look quite fun!!!

46 minutes ago, gotta cruise again said:

I had never heard of crackle nail polish so I googled it. I didn’t see on my quick look exactly how to use it but did see there were several Q&A sites so I imagine you’ll be able to find out how to use it.

Based on the photos I saw, I bet the black crackle & your metallic turquoise will look quite fun!!!

I remember it was a 2 part process, but that's it.  I have some weird orange glitter polish in the drawer.  I don't think I would have ever had that on my nails.  I'm wondering if I bought it as an experiment for the crackle.   

15 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I remember it was a 2 part process, but that's it.  I have some weird orange glitter polish in the drawer.  I don't think I would have ever had that on my nails.  I'm wondering if I bought it as an experiment for the crackle.   

black & orange... sounds suspiciously like part of an awesome Halloween costume :)

I worked for 10 years as a traveling make-up artist for a major cosmetic/fragrance house. We were required to wear, in addition to full make-up, fragrance each day.

Although I love wearing fragrance, I rarely do so (could probably count on 1 hand how many times I do each year and I bet there are years where the count is zero). I won’t go into the reasons why I am unable to wear fragrance but it mostly has to do with the population I’m around.

Anyway, I have a LOT of really nice (and expensive!) bottles and I think I’m going to begin wearing it around the house!! DH likes most of them and since it’s been so long since I’ve worn one on a regular basis, I think I’ll find this not only enjoyable and special but I’m thinking I’ll “feel” dressed up even though I am not!!

• Like 1

I just started wearing fragrance again too 🙂 It's nice to do something for ourselves sometimes even if no one else will notice it.

Today I used the flat iron on my hair and put on some mascara and lip stain before going to the grocery stores.  After I did my lips I realized it was kind of silly since I would have a mask on, but then I realized it's fine to do it just for me because I like the color (and I think I would have felt odd if only eyes were done) regardless if anyone else saw it.  DH actually prefers no make-up but humors me ❤️ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gotta cruise again said:

I worked for 10 years as a traveling make-up artist for a major cosmetic/fragrance house. We were required to wear, in addition to full make-up, fragrance each day.

Although I love wearing fragrance, I rarely do so (could probably count on 1 hand how many times I do each year and I bet there are years where the count is zero). I won’t go into the reasons why I am unable to wear fragrance but it mostly has to do with the population I’m around.

Anyway, I have a LOT of really nice (and expensive!) bottles and I think I’m going to begin wearing it around the house!! DH likes most of them and since it’s been so long since I’ve worn one on a regular basis, I think I’ll find this not only enjoyable and special but I’m thinking I’ll “feel” dressed up even though I am not!!

Allow me to thank you for not wearing fragrance around.  I'm one of those who will get nauseous and get a headache when I'm around certain scents and fragrances.  You know those big orange lillies?  Don't get me within 20 ft of them.  I had to get the florist who provided the arrangements for the hotel Front Desks I worked at to please not include them.  

If I'm social distancing and I can detect a fragrance, you have too much on  😉  (it used to be 3 ft.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

I just started wearing fragrance again too 🙂 It's nice to do something for ourselves sometimes even if no one else will notice it.

Today I used the flat iron on my hair and put on some mascara and lip stain before going to the grocery stores.  After I did my lips I realized it was kind of silly since I would have a mask on, but then I realized it's fine to do it just for me because I like the color (and I think I would have felt odd if only eyes were done) regardless if anyone else saw it.  DH actually prefers no make-up but humors me ❤️ 

I had another telemedicine session this morning.  I decided, what the #ell, it's just her and me.  Ran a brush through my hair, brushed my teeth, put on a T-shirt on top (left the sweats on the bottom) and opened up the session.  Now, she is requiring me to come in next week (I have a permission slip to go in the facility) and get a bunch of blood work done and get 2 vaccinations.  I guess I'll have to do a little sprucing up, even if I wear leggings and a sweatshirt...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Allow me to thank you for not wearing fragrance around.  I'm one of those who will get nauseous and get a headache when I'm around certain scents and fragrances.  You know those big orange lillies?  Don't get me within 20 ft of them.  I had to get the florist who provided the arrangements for the hotel Front Desks I worked at to please not include them.  

If I'm social distancing and I can detect a fragrance, you have too much on  😉  (it used to be 3 ft.)

And that’s exactly why I rarely wear it anymore! I also sing in a choir and professional standard is to wear nothing that has fragrance, to include hair products, laundry products, and deodorant...all fragrance free! 

The main problem with fragrance wearing is that many people do not realize that they (1) lose a bit of their ability to smell things as they age or due to medicines or illness and/or (2) by wearing the same fragrance over and over, they become unable to smell it, so they over apply.

For those wanting to be sure they aren’t wearing too much, apply it to back of your knees instead of wrists and on the small of your back (or tummy) instead of your neck. Remember: less is more!! The oils in fragrance, when used on your neck and exposed to the sun over time, can cause increased aging to the delicate skin on your neck, usually in the form of darkening of the skin. You only want to get a light whiff of fragrance every now and then vs. being able to smell it on yourself all the time. You want to get compliments on smelling good and if you are not getting compliments, consider you may be wearing too much, especially if you hear folks around you coughing/clearing throats/holding their hand to their nose/etc. (think: cruise ship elevator!!)

Another consideration regarding wearing fragrance: consider where you will be wearing it. A doctors office or hospital is a “no”. I personally wear none (or only a tiny drop behind the knees) in a restaurant as the food & drink does not require any added odors. Any place where you are staying still in close quarters for long periods should also have a very light application (or none at all?) such as concert halls, sporting events, etc.

I’ll restate for anyone who missed my previous post: I rarely wear fragrance but did work for a major cosmetic/fragrance house for many years so learned some things about wearing it. IMHO we wear it so it can be an intermittent, tiny bit of enjoyment for ourselves and those near us however we need to be cognizant that some of those near us cannot tolerate it therefore we have to be very gentle when applying and sometimes not wear it at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

That's me too --- when I was an RN in the hospital anytime a patient was sent a bouquet with these in it, either it had to be removed from their room or those flowers taken out & put in the trash ----- asthma, headache --- YUCK!!!

19 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I had another telemedicine session this morning.  I decided, what the #ell, it's just her and me.  Ran a brush through my hair, brushed my teeth, put on a T-shirt on top (left the sweats on the bottom) and opened up the session.  Now, she is requiring me to come in next week (I have a permission slip to go in the facility) and get a bunch of blood work done and get 2 vaccinations.  I guess I'll have to do a little sprucing up, even if I wear leggings and a sweatshirt...

Praying blood work comes back with good results 🙂 

I'm another who is sensitive to flowers.  While I missed being able to worship with the whole church for Easter I was grateful to not be overwhelmed by the hyacinths.

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Praying blood work comes back with good results 🙂 

I'm another who is sensitive to flowers.  While I missed being able to worship with the whole church for Easter I was grateful to not be overwhelmed by the hyacinths.

slidergirl, praying for good results as well!

When I was pregnant, especially with my oldest, my sense of smell turned into my superpower😁 if I was grocery shopping, I could smell fragrance (or smelly smells) like a bloodhound. Elevators were tough and when my DH wanted to go for sushi, yikes it was like getting punched in the face with a fish! Fortunately after  I gave birth, my superpower went away.  My sister had similar issues during her pregnancy but she is still sensitive. Maybe it could be a genetic thing.

7 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

slidergirl, praying for good results as well!

When I was pregnant, especially with my oldest, my sense of smell turned into my superpower😁 if I was grocery shopping, I could smell fragrance (or smelly smells) like a bloodhound. Elevators were tough and when my DH wanted to go for sushi, yikes it was like getting punched in the face with a fish! Fortunately after  I gave birth, my superpower went away.  My sister had similar issues during her pregnancy but she is still sensitive. Maybe it could be a genetic thing.

thanks all.  I do feel the best that I've felt for a good year right now.  I hope that's a good sign.

I'd have major issues if I was a super smeller!!!!  I love to go to markets when I'm on vacation and just look and smell at all the local goodies.  I couldn't imagine what it was like for you.

Just found out today I am supposed to also go get tested for COVID-19.  3 new hotspots were discovered here in 3 neighborhoods.  They want everyone within a 2 mile radius of any of the hotspots to try to go get tested.  We don't have to have any symptoms - just say what neighborhood we are from.  We're a small enough snapshot that it could be an interesting data collection to see the outcome and to follow it.   Man, I'm going to be poked a lot!  Good thing I don't mind it!  Now, should I dress up for all of this?  Formal?  Business Casual?  Robe?  Uggs (it's still and snowy)?  Flip flops?  Blingy sandals?  Decisions.....

Well another week of "shelter in place" in the books. Still have no masks and no Purell -- and now am out of paper towels!

Also, with no travel planning to occupy me at the moment, I am running out of good shows to stream. Any ideas welcome -- prefer something more like "The Crown" and not "Tiger King"!

I'm now using delivery for all my groceries and sundries. The only time I've left my yard in the last two weeks is to make one run to pick up a take out order from a great local Italian deli. They have turned to preparing limited dinners to stay in business and I want to support them. (Of course I also toss a few cannoli and some ciabatta rolls into my order....)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well another week of "shelter in place" in the books. Still have no masks and no Purell -- and now am out of paper towels!

Also, with no travel planning to occupy me at the moment, I am running out of good shows to stream. Any ideas welcome -- prefer something more like "The Crown" and not "Tiger King"!

I'm now using delivery for all my groceries and sundries. The only time I've left my yard in the last two weeks is to make one run to pick up a take out order from a great local Italian deli. They have turned to preparing limited dinners to stay in business and I want to support them. (Of course I also toss a few cannoli and some ciabatta rolls into my order....)

I know it probably costs money, I think $5.95 for the month) but Starz has Outlander. Three seasons I believe.  I've read all of the Outlander books and this series does a wonderful job. 

We are planning on picking up Greek food tonight from a favorite local restaurant. I'm excited for baklava!

I know it probably costs money, (I think $5.95 for the month) but Starz has Outlander. Three seasons I believe.  I've read all of the Outlander books and this series does a wonderful job. 

We are planning on picking up Greek food tonight from a favorite local restaurant. I'm excited for baklava!

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have to head out in about an hour - no choice.  I have to pick up my meds at the pharmacy and I have to go by our testing facility and get a swab shoved up my nose for COVID-19 testing.  I'm happy to do it, though.  I'm hoping that by getting as many of us tested within 2 miles of our new little hotspot, they can study spread or how our SaH procedures are working.  Some of us are also volunteering for the upcoming antibody testing - we've been talking among ourselves and some believe we really did have COVID-19 instead of just bronchitis (tested negative for flu) back in Nov-Jan before we started hearing about it.  We all work in positions in town where we dealt with thousands of tourists.  Will be interesting to see the outcome!!   I've decided to go with sweatshirt & fleece & baseball hat today to venture out.  I just have to decide which bandana I'm going to turn into my mask for the day - I have probably 20 to choose from !!!

Cruisemom:  If you want just something to laugh at, take a look at streaming "Shitt's Creek."  I've always liked to watch any movie or TV shows made with this group of people.   I do have a warped sense of humor, though.    I have to admit that I just couldn't cook at home last night, so I made a run to Five Guys - cheese veggie sandwich and fries.  So bad, but so good...

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I know it probably costs money, I think $5.95 for the month) but Starz has Outlander. Three seasons I believe.  I've read all of the Outlander books and this series does a wonderful job. 

I've already caught up with most of Outlander -- I also read the series when it first came out and agree they do a good job of capturing the spirit of the books -- I think Diana Gabaldon has been involved with it (the author). 

Greek sounds good for dinner. We have a local Greek diner that's been there forever -- well, since I was in college and that's been a LONG time...