for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

On 3/24/2020 at 8:23 AM, purduemom1 said:

Some  have mentioned cancelling hair appointments. I have no choice because our state is on self isolation.

NV went into that the very day of my appointment for cut and color. I did a tiny snip on my bangs and my color is fading by the day. I rescheduled for 4/21. Keeping fingers crossed. Here's what the color USED to be.

75418840_2493956987347445_3272679347709804544_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 2:08 PM, slidergirl said:

That definitely doesn't work for FL, but up here in the mountains, it usually works.  We also have low humidity.  My first 2 houses up here didn't have A/C - most houses built before 2000 didn't (unless they were owned by wealthy folks).  We all made do with ceiling fans and open windows.  The owners of my current home put in A/C, along with ceiling fans in the living room, 2 bedrooms and the den.  80% of the time it's OK, but when it gets above about 78 degrees my little house gets toasty,

Our humidity can even get in the single digits which can contribute to fire danger but it sure makes a difference. We even have a ceiling fan in the kitchen! Don't use it when I have flour out 🙂

Went to Costco yesterday. Ahead of me in the socially distanced line was an elderly lady (I’m 69, she was definitely older) in a garden party dress, complete with full makeup, hat & heels. She was chatting with a young guy in a full hockey mask. It was an interesting visit to Costco...I was in jeans, T-shirt & jacket with my Merrill’s. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

Went to Costco yesterday. Ahead of me in the socially distanced line was an elderly lady (I’m 69, she was definitely older) in a garden party dress, complete with full makeup, hat & heels. She was chatting with a young guy in a full hockey mask. It was an interesting visit to Costco...I was in jeans, T-shirt & jacket with my Merrill’s. 

I can't decide what's more awesome, the garden party outfit or the hockey mask lol :)

• Like 2

It sort of looks like I'm the odd one out here; every morning (whether we're self-isolating or not), I get dressed (jeans or slacks and a nice top/blouse), put on some tinted moisturizer, a touch of blush, eyeliner and all day lipstick, then run a curling iron through my hair and I'm ready for the day.  DH often tells me I look nice - and I like to; whether it's just him and me, or if we're expecting company. 

I worked in a very public job for 26 years and often run into people I know, or who know me, and I wouldn't like to face them knowing I looked like an old hag once I retired!   After my shower, my morning routine takes less than 15 minutes from beginning to end, so it isn't an onerous task.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2

@ger_77  in my "normal" life I do what you do, but right now I'm rotating through the same few super casual outfits,  I am still putting on a bit of make up (tinted sunscreen) & brow grooming/fill    Haven't touched the blowdryer in almost 3 weeks now though. :)

I think what you're doing is probably healthy & good for your "inner" well being as it were, & we all have different levels of what makes us feel good ( or at least a little better) about the current situation.

It's warmed up here considerably & I'm now wearing shorts & a tank durning the day,  switching to my running leggings in the evening to run, & then it's shower & pj time

Pretty sure I'm gonna burn these clothes when this is over lol (or at least trash them)

Best wishes for continued health to you :)

• Like 1

Just now, cruise kitty said:

It's warmed up here considerably & I'm now wearing shorts & a tank durning the day,  switching to my running leggings in the evening to run, & then it's shower & pj time

Pretty sure I'm gonna burn these clothes when this is over lol (or at least trash them)

Best wishes for continued health to you 🙂

I'm jealous; we had another major snowfall yesterday morning - thick, wet, heart-attack snow.  This morning we woke up to ridiculous cold wind, bringing the wind chill temperature to -27C.   I'm anxiously waiting for the glaciers to recede from the back yard, so we can see green grass again.  Unfortunately that won't be happening for a while, but you play the hand you're dealt when you live on the "frozen tundra"!  LOL

Stay well, let's keep flattening the curve.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

29 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I'm jealous; we had another major snowfall yesterday morning - thick, wet, heart-attack snow.  This morning we woke up to ridiculous cold wind, bringing the wind chill temperature to -27C.   I'm anxiously waiting for the glaciers to recede from the back yard, so we can see green grass again.  Unfortunately that won't be happening for a while, but you play the hand you're dealt when you live on the "frozen tundra"!  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

oh wow snow!  I can't imagine,  but I bet it's beautiful.   Hope it thaws for you soon though!

44 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

And I was thinking it was cold here...brrr 58 degrees. I swear my blood has thinned and I'm more sensitive to cold since we lived in Coral Springs, FL (near Fort Lauderdale) for 3.5 years.  Now that we are in sunny South Carolina (not today, but gorgeous two days ago) I bundle up with scarves when the temp dips below 50.  I'm such a wimp 🙂

Today I finally put away a couple of outfits I had put together for my canceled Japan cruise in April. I left them out thinking I might have opportunity to wear them here this spring -- I was supposed to go to the symphony next week, for example. Obviously not going to happen now...

I am feeling rather stressed this week as my company's work is deemed essential and I (and many others) are working hard to support folks working remotely AND a fair number who are still required to be on site to do their jobs. I have not been outside my front door since Sunday except to put things in the recycle bin. 

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Today I finally put away a couple of outfits I had put together for my canceled Japan cruise in April. I left them out thinking I might have opportunity to wear them here this spring -- I was supposed to go to the symphony next week, for example. Obviously not going to happen now...

I am feeling rather stressed this week as my company's work is deemed essential and I (and many others) are working hard to support folks working remotely AND a fair number who are still required to be on site to do their jobs. I have not been outside my front door since Sunday except to put things in the recycle bin. 

Here is a ((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))we are all in this together.   Question, when you say you haven't been outside since

Sunday? Do you live in an area that you could take a walk? (without being near others).  I know they say you can

go outside for a walk, run, etc...…….it might make you feel a bit better.

• Like 2

Cruisemom. I agree with Lois. You need to get some fresh air & vitamin D. Our daughter is in a mission essential job & is working 12 hour days. She takes 15 minute breaks every couple of hours & just walks around the building. You have to keep your own immune system up so you don’t get sick. You also come back to your task energized. 

• Like 2

Cruisemom...I hope you can get outside! I think my family would all be going a bit loopy here if we weren't able to at least walk/be around outside here. The fresh air...even if it's cold...and hopefully sunshine would be really therapeutic.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm so sorry too...  I agree with Lois, if you can get outside for a walk (safely)  that might help.   I'm doing evening walks when most people are eating dinner & it's helping me to stay sane.    I hear you on the clothing for your trip & other little things you would be doing to prepare.  When my stuff arrived for our cancelled cruises I just put it away in a drawer without even opening it.   (that's what worked for me)  

Work for me also helps (& that's actually what I should be doing right now lol)

stay safe, & try to get some sort of exercise even if you just walk around the block a few times :)

Today is Thursday, April 2nd.  I was supposed to be flying to Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday and taking my TA crossing

on Monday April 6th.  Really seems like a movie or something.  Or something that had been in my mind for many

months...SO WEIRD.  I have cleaned out many clothes over the past week. This morning I cleaned out 2

desk drawers....I had stuff going back 8 years in the paperwork:classic_blink:

I know all that is really nothing to worry about about as I keep watching about all these families who have had people

die and their loved ones are ALONE:classic_sad:.....I know the nurses have been God Sends----from some of the stories I

have seen-----these folks are AMAZING PEOPLE......thanks to all of you and I hope you can get ALL THE PPE'S

you need!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to go so off topic with that post....I am wearing a pair of coral lounge pants with a grey

and coral top today and just did a nice 30 minute walk. It is sunny outside today.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

oh wow snow!  I can't imagine,  but I bet it's beautiful.   Hope it thaws for you soon though!

Beautiful wears off pretty quickly, especially when it's been "beautiful" since the end of October.  LOL

On another note, we got up and made it in time for "senior hour" at our local grocery; in and out in about 15 minutes - it was great!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2

I’ve been enjoying this thread! 

At about the same time it was posted, I had also thought about putting some posts into my pierced ears to keep them open; but I also liked the thought about wearing pretty earrings even if I’m not all dressed up.

Our local Walmart just started a weekly special hour for seniors/medically compromised folks to shop, one hour before the store  opens. Yes, that’s right: it starts at SIX AM!!!! So I got up way-too-early and thoroughly enjoyed putting on makeup, kinda-sorta fixing my hair, and wearing something pretty just to shop for groceries! I wore red lipstick which was in sharp contrast to the few masks I did see. (I have no mask to wear but would have probably worn the red anyway!!)

Here is something we’ve done a couple of times to “dress up” things around here: I set the table with different dishes than the usual daily dishes. It makes an ordinary meal seem more special and it’s nice to change up the “view” even if it means the fancy wine glasses have to be hand washed (with plenty of soap & hot water, of course!).

• Like 2

Wow, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions from so many...

You are all right, of course. Getting out (or even away from the "home office") for a bit really helps and I was able to do that today and enjoy the nice sunny weather for a bit. :classic_cool:

Earlier in the week I was just zooming all day at high speed -- working 10-11 hours with just a few minutes' break for some lunch. 

Another mood lifter (to stay on-topic): I ordered a few new casual clothes from JJill last weekend when they had a great flash sale and they arrived today. 

• Like 3

Gotta, I love your idea of using good dishes, etc.  One plate or glass is as easy to clean up as another, and you are right, it's refreshing to see a different and nice table.  I just turned the calendars over, and realized that April now has no cruise, no Easter dinner, no Gallery Crawl, no dance recital.  But I will at least set a nice table for DH and self at Easter.

Maybe I don't have to order new towels and shower curtains, to vary my everyday view, after all.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, gotta cruise again said:

Here is something we’ve done a couple of times to “dress up” things around here: I set the table with different dishes than the usual daily dishes. It makes an ordinary meal seem more special and it’s nice to change up the “view” even if it means the fancy wine glasses have to be hand washed (with plenty of soap & hot water, of course!).

We were fortunate enough to take a cruise in early February. DH and I had a lot of fun dressing up and really didn't spend too much time on it. I wanted some good pictures of the two of us and so we did spend some time looking nice. I can back thinking that it would be fun for us to plan at home date nights. Not necessarily formal nights at home, but something along those lines. Something a bit nicer than the norm.

And maybe even once a month, or a quarter, or whenever we feel like, but more often than NEVER...do have a formal night. Have an excuse to wear fancy clothes. So what if we are just eating at home?

I had also thought that it would be fun to have a more dressed up table. Use the silver. Use the must be washed by hand glasses. But still have "normal" food. Don't think that the kitchen needs to go into overdrive just because we are going to use nicer place settings. 

Your post totally reminds me of these ideas...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to go so off topic with that post....I am wearing a pair of coral lounge pants with a grey

and coral top today and just did a nice 30 minute walk. It is sunny outside today.

LOL, did someone seriously complain about your post?  I feel like this is a thread where we all support one another while we go through this... separately but together :)

I feel you on it being the "day" or time that there was something else big that was supposed to be happening at that time.  It doesn't mean any of us are selfish for missing those things when others have it worse,  I think it's just part of the process.   

Stay safe & strong, Lois!   (  & everyone else on this thread)

Good morning, No, nobody complained:classic_smile:.....I just went OT and didn't mean to go there...…..but I guess that

is the new normal...…….thanks:classic_smile:

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 11:29 PM, cruise kitty said:

On the bright side my new sweatpants from Amazon arrived last night 🙂    Honestly,  so far I'm not depressed,   now if work dries up for my job, that will hurt.    I think we're all just missing our old routines, right?  

Another bright side, I have learned some new work skills, a couple of new technology systems that I had been resisting, I've had to apply myself & learn them in order to get my files audited & cleared so that's a good thing 🙂

Oh, congratulations to you! 🥰You're very good at not getting discouraged 'cause in fact this is the best way to spend the time of self-isolation with benefit. And you're sooo damn right about boredom for old habits! Yes! But what to do... And about online training... I started learning Swedish myself 🙂 I didn't have time for this before so it's a great opportunity to do it now

• Like 1