for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

1 hour ago, purduemom1 said:

cruise kitty, the beach scenes were awful! I spent a lot of time at Newport Beach growing up with many good memories but now......

Please let us know how your Costco Instacart shopping goes. I have considered giving it a try but wonder about the delivery of perishables especially now that our weather is warming up. TIA 

I too am wondering about Lois since we haven’t heard from her in awhile.

Take care all.

Hi there, I've done a few Instacart Costco orders already & they've been hit & miss....  If you get an early time in the day they usually have what you want....  late in the day delivery times have meant lots of substitutions....  the bad part is that you are paying substantially more than you would if you could shop in person....  the good part is that you don't have to shop in person lol...  I've ordered chicken breasts & frozen strawberries & they arrived still cold & frozen...  supposedly they have ice chests in their vehicles or some method of keeping stuff cool  :)

Cruise kitty, thanks for the info about your experience ordering thru’ Instacart and Costco. You mentioned lots of substitutions and that’s interesting since, in many cases, Costco only carries one brand of an item. Good luck with your order and I hope your  meat items of choice are available. That situation is really troubling since it involves so many meat processors.  I keep wondering what’s coming next..........

3 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Cruise kitty, thanks for the info about your experience ordering thru’ Instacart and Costco. You mentioned lots of substitutions and that’s interesting since, in many cases, Costco only carries one brand of an item. Good luck with your order and I hope your  meat items of choice are available. That situation is really troubling since it involves so many meat processors.  I keep wondering what’s coming next..........

I'm a little concerned about the meat processing thing as well.   I think I'm going to suck it up & make an in person Costco run this afternoon..  get some chicken breasts, drumsticks etc.  possibly a big tenderloin that we could cut up ourselves.   

The substitutions were odd (& btw, you can mark an item "no substitutions" , you just won't get it if they are out.  

Here's an example ( & don't judge me lol)  I requested the costco brand margarita w/alcohol & received 1800 brand raspberry flavored margarita    Requested packages of chicken wings on one order & received drumsticks instead (& they were the organic ones that are a lot more $$)  

I'm also concerned about my husbands acid reflux meds as there is an ingredient in one brand that looks promising for Covid treatment....  that ingredient isn't in the brand he uses but you know how people are....  unfortunately if the acid reflux gets out of hand it does affect his asthma so I will panic if he runs out of that med.   We've rolled up towels & put them under the head of his mattress to raise it a bit as it's supposed to help a bit but I'll feel better if we have some extra of the meds :)

I'm also going to have to actually go in person to my office on Friday ( I'm actually considered  "essential"  but we have it set up so that will be my time only & no one else will be there...  supposedly the security system is set up so that if one of us punches in, no one else will be able to access the doors which makes me feel better!

4 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

I'm a little concerned about the meat processing thing as well.   I think I'm going to suck it up & make an in person Costco run this afternoon..  get some chicken breasts, drumsticks etc.  possibly a big tenderloin that we could cut up ourselves.   

The substitutions were odd (& btw, you can mark an item "no substitutions" , you just won't get it if they are out.  

Here's an example ( & don't judge me lol)  I requested the costco brand margarita w/alcohol & received 1800 brand raspberry flavored margarita    Requested packages of chicken wings on one order & received drumsticks instead (& they were the organic ones that are a lot more $$)  

LOL no judging from me-we buy the Margarita mix w/alcohol also. In fact, I put it in the blender with frozen strawberries! The substitutions sound interesting. Not sure some would work for us. I will most likely just do what you are going to do and hope that I can find everything on my list or at least pick my own substitutions. BTW, Costco is requiring that all customers wear masks as of May 4-a good thing! 

I hope that your DH can get a good supply of his meds. I did hear that about Pepcid so no telling what could happen to the supplies.

Good luck and stay safe. Your office is taking good precautions and I guess you won’t have to worry to much about what you wear, make up etc.-just to keep this in topic.😊

• Like 2

Cruisekitty. Get your husband a wedge pillow instead of rolling towels. I got one at Costco after my doctor told me I had to have my hiatal hernia reoperated on as soon as they can get me scheduled. My gastro actually gave me some samples of  a new reflux drug...hope it helps. The wedge pillow has really helped, I bought two & put them under the sheets, it doesn’t move.  It’s helping my husband’s asthma too

i need to look for the raspberry margarita mix...sounds great!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Cruisekitty. Get your husband a wedge pillow instead of rolling towels. I got one at Costco after my doctor told me I had to have my hiatal hernia reoperated on as soon as they can get me scheduled. My gastro actually gave me some samples of  a new reflux drug...hope it helps. The wedge pillow has really helped, I bought two & put them under the sheets, it doesn’t move.  It’s helping my husband’s asthma too

i need to look for the raspberry margarita mix...sounds great!!!

thanks for the tip, darn I wish I'd seen it before I did my costco run,  I'm sure that would be more comfortable!    

@purduemom1 yes, pepcid was completely gone ( of course lol)   luckily that's not what he takes he uses the omeprazole & I was able to get four packs which will last several months... they had a good stock of it so I felt comfortable getting that much.   Beef, Pork, & Chicken products were limited to a maximum of 3 (not 3 of each, 3 total....  & the selection was odd...  no fresh chicken at all, & we really don't eat pork (love bacon though, lol)  so I got two large packs of shaved sirloin, going to separate it into little wrapped packs & freeze it.    

@Lois R  I hope that you are ok,   if you are able to, please let us know how you are :)

cruise kitty, I think I saw those wedge pillows on Costco.com-might save you another trip to Costco. Too bad the meat supply was so sparse and quantities limited. But at least your husband’s meds are taken care of.  As for Pepcid being sold out, I believe that the quantities being used by doctors are very high doses along with another drug so people trying to self medicate will most likely just waste their money. I feel bad for those who use Pepcid for heartburn and now can’t get any. Perhaps these  drugs should not specifically mentioned by the media as it seems to result in those who need them having to go without. 

• Like 2

Lois, I hope your doctor visit went well & that you are feeling better, please let us know how you’re doing.

I have a presurgical appt next Thursday to decide if I’m going to have one or two surgeries (really hope for one!). I’ll be in hospital for three-five days following surgery as well. I don’t have my surgery date till next week, sure hope I can get a haircut & pedicure before that!!!

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

Lois, I hope your doctor visit went well & that you are feeling better, please let us know how you’re doing.

I have a presurgical appt next Thursday to decide if I’m going to have one or two surgeries (really hope for one!). I’ll be in hospital for three-five days following surgery as well. I don’t have my surgery date till next week, sure hope I can get a haircut & pedicure before that!!!

Please let us know how you are doing with your surgeries.  I hear you about the haircut and pedicure. I am looking pretty grim😱😀

• Like 1

Cruise kitty, we got a wedge pillow at Walmart and I've also seen them on Amazon.

Melody, praying your surgery(ies) go well and you have relief soon. 

Our hair/nail salons are still on lockdown with no end in site.  My hair isn't too bad - it's actually long enough now I can braid all of it easier.  My toe nails could use some pampering, but it's cold enough I can just throw socks on and ignore them 😉 

• Like 2

No haircuts or pedis here... hoping that by the beginning of June we'll be able to get haircuts at least,  since my hair is longish, it's not that bad...  but I have never gone this long without a pedicure... I mean, I can cut my nails & file them, but zero skills with nail polish, so I'm just doing clear....  I can't botch that at least :)

@awhfy I hope you get clearance for the surgery...  my MIL had her hiatal hernia surgery about 10 years ago & it was a great relief for her.   

The other day I tackled my bathroom chandelier, took down every one of the little glass baubles & hand washed them, it looks great!   We have a little industrial style aged iron pendant with crystals over our kitchen sink & I'm going to wash those today....  I should be working on a file...but just don't feel like it lol ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Melody, wishing you well with the surgery. If you can’t get your hair cut and a pedi just keep wearing the hair net and socks the hospital provides until you get home😉

Lois hasn’t posted for several days and her dr appt was Monday. I really do hope she is doing ok. 

Take care all. 

Sharon

• Like 2

20 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

thanks for the tip, darn I wish I'd seen it before I did my costco run,  I'm sure that would be more comfortable!    

@purduemom1 yes, pepcid was completely gone ( of course lol)   luckily that's not what he takes he uses the omeprazole & I was able to get four packs which will last several months... they had a good stock of it so I felt comfortable getting that much.   Beef, Pork, & Chicken products were limited to a maximum of 3 (not 3 of each, 3 total....  & the selection was odd...  no fresh chicken at all, & we really don't eat pork (love bacon though, lol)  so I got two large packs of shaved sirloin, going to separate it into little wrapped packs & freeze it.    

@Lois R  I hope that you are ok,   if you are able to, please let us know how you are 🙂

@cruise kitty - I bet the Pepcid is out because they just yanked Zantec off the market.  All of us who kept some of that around for the occasional heartburn moved to Pepcid.  Sorry.

Had my telemed with my RNP today to go over my results.  Some good, some not so good.  My Vitamin D level is coming up, which was one that was really bad (not enough blows your immunity out of the water).  The not so good - we are going to change up some meds to see what helps.  She said I'm one of the few people she's worked with who has a very low sodium level.  I was laughing that I've been a non-salter for a loooong time (the only thing I salt is my pasta water).  If I can buy something low/no sodium added, that's what I do.  It brought some of how I feel into clarity.  At least my kidney functions are looking better.  She wants me to try to be not so obsessive about my salt avoidance.  And see if I can stand adding a sports drink/electrolyes beverage into my daily liquid intake.  Yuk.  Right now,  I've lost my appetite for the past 4 days.  Bad enough trying to force myself to eat, let alone drink something salty.   Sigh.  At least I'm alive!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

@slidergirl  yeah, the low sodium levels definitely can mess with you, my mom ended up in hospital a few years back after passing out in Sprouts...  all due to low electrolytes,  so take care 🙂    & I agree, sports drinks are yucky,  can you add vodka lol :classic_biggrin:

Tell your mom she isn't the only one who has passed out in a grocery store.  I almost passed out a few times at work 2 years ago. I knew when I was "going down", so I always did it gracefully - walked to the back office, got on the floor and put my feet up on the wall.  And, I swear I hadn't been drinking!!!   Everyone got used to it and would just walk over me and let me be until I felt better.  I can't believe how messed up I was to just let that go.  

Yes, I can add some Tito's to the Gatorade, it's still going to suck. A year ago, there was Organic Gatorade.  It tasted really salty, but at least it have the other nasty stuff in regular Gatorade.  Only came in 2 flavors.  Haven't seen it for months. 

The one thing I won't change is my peanut butter.  It has to be unsalted.  It's just disgusting to me if it has salt.  Right now I'm having to have jarred unsalted peanut butter because Whole Foods has taken out the fresh grander for the time being (damn COVID).  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, awhfy said:

Thanks, this is a redo of hiatal hernia surgery from 2018 with the addition of a ventral wall hernia. 

Oh man, sorry about that.  Can they at least use the same "opening" to go through to not add to the scars?  My ortho did that when he had to go in and take out some of the screws he put in my ankle.   Weird thing, but I was couch surfing *what else would I be doing* and yesterday was Real Housewives of Beverly Hills reruns before the new episode last night.  One was about Denise Richards having hernia surgery!  

Giving you good wishes and thoughts for a positive outcome!!

12 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Oh man, sorry about that.  Can they at least use the same "opening" to go through to not add to the scars?  My ortho did that when he had to go in and take out some of the screws he put in my ankle.   Weird thing, but I was couch surfing *what else would I be doing* and yesterday was Real Housewives of Beverly Hills reruns before the new episode last night.  One was about Denise Richards having hernia surgery!  

Giving you good wishes and thoughts for a positive outcome!!

Unfortunately no. They did laparoscopic surgery 2-1/2 years ago, this will be large incision due to where the hiatal hernia has lodged (chest cavity above diaphragm) & the ventral wall hernia. I’m just hoping for one surgery as opposed to two.  Ah well, I’m not wearing bikinis anymore anyway!  

I also prefer unsalted peanut butter. I really like the Sprouts brand of nut butters, especially the cashew nut butter. 

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

Unfortunately no. They did laparoscopic surgery 2-1/2 years ago, this will be large incision due to where the hiatal hernia has lodged (chest cavity above diaphragm) & the ventral wall hernia. I’m just hoping for one surgery as opposed to two.  Ah well, I’m not wearing bikinis anymore anyway!  

I also prefer unsalted peanut butter. I really like the Sprouts brand of nut butters, especially the cashew nut butter. 

Bummer. (geez, I sound like Sean Penn in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High).   Well, Denise Richards went in for surgery on one hernia and ended having to have work done on FOUR and they got done at once.  I hope you are as "lucky."   Maybe have a plastic surgeon in on the surgery and have her do the incision closure and maybe do a little "contouring" at the same time.  (just joking). If nothing else, I know that some of the 1%ers do post-surgery in hotels near the surgery center...  God, I'm losing it.  I think my snarky button is stuck on "high on."  And, I can't blame it on meds!!!

I have one more jar of Trader Joe's unsalted crunchy in the pantry.  If I pour off the excess oil first, it's not bad.   I'm not thrilled with the Whole Foods jarred - I'm just spoiled by the "fresh ground" stuff.  The nearest Sprouts is a good 30 minute drive down the hill.  

• Haha 1

OMG, Slidergirl, you are making me laugh-and that’s a really good thing these days. I saw that episode and wondered about getting it all done at once and then a hotel stay vs a hospital room or going home. I also recall an episode  where Lisa Rinna went to a rather swanky place for a mammogram, took Kyle Richards along and she too decided to get one (no appointment needed). What really got me was they were given the results while still in the office! No waiting like we have to do.  They take it all for granted it seems.

I haven’t been to Sprouts since this all started. I do like Trader Joe’s organic peanut butter-haven’t tried Whole Foods. Hang on to that jar, you may need the protein if a meat shortage persists!🙄

Edited by purduemom1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

OMG, Slidergirl, you are making me laugh-and that’s a really good thing these days. I saw that episode and wondered about getting it all done at once and then a hotel stay vs a hospital room or going home. I also recall an episode  where Lisa Rinna went to a rather swanky place for a mammogram, took Kyle Richards along and she too decided to get one (no appointment needed). What really got me was they were given the results while still in the office! No waiting like we have to do.  They take it all for granted it seems.

I haven’t been to Sprouts since this all started. I do like Trader Joe’s organic peanut butter-haven’t tried Whole Foods. Hang on to that jar, you may need the protein if a meat shortage persists!🙄

The really bad thing about being in SaH mode since the beginning of March is that I've been binge watching all the Bravo TV shows.  I never realized how truly bad some of them were and didn't know they existed - I mean, Gallery Girls and something about Private School kids in NYC.  At this point, I don't care that I"m watching really bad TV - it makes me realize my life isn't all that bad.  And, I can reminisce about some of those ladies and their men that I've met when they would show up to my sleepy little resort town.  Actually, Denise Richards was very nice (we talked about a good place to rent skis), but Adrienne's ex-husband is a tool.  And sometime later this year, we all get to watch The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City!!!!  Meantime, Lisa Rinna's friend Sutton, is a pretentious twit, the new girl in New York, Leah, is my kind of girl!    Gosh, what's going to happen when hospitality opens up again and I have to go back to work?????  

• Haha 1

Well, another week in the books. Hints from my company that it will be at least another 4-6 weeks before they start implementing even a "Phase 1" return to work and probably those that CAN work from home will be asked to do so until the end of the summer....!!

I finally got a few masks and was able to make my medical appointment this week (much needed root canal -- ugh).  Counting that, I have only been in my car about 1x per week since this whole thing started. However I'll have to add to that this weekend as I bravely venture out in search of paper towels -- down to half a roll!

On the bright side, I tried to add up today how much I am saving by staying home, not commuting to work, not eating out -- figure it has to be at least $300/month.

As for fashion, let's just say my yoga pants are getting a workout, even if I'm not. LOL. And even when I spend a fair amount of time on it, my hair looks terrible.  That's probably #1 on my list when I feel things are safe -- a haircut!

• Like 1

I've been letting my gray grow out, just to see how it looks since I don't have to teach class (and look presentable😜) and I've got a pretty decent skunk stripe going! To celebrate Mother's Day, I'm going to have my mom touch up my roots (she always does it) and I'll take before and after pics. It's the little things, right😁?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

The really bad thing about being in SaH mode since the beginning of March is that I've been binge watching all the Bravo TV shows.  I never realized how truly bad some of them were and didn't know they existed - I mean, Gallery Girls and something about Private School kids in NYC.  At this point, I don't care that I"m watching really bad TV - it makes me realize my life isn't all that bad.  And, I can reminisce about some of those ladies and their men that I've met when they would show up to my sleepy little resort town.  Actually, Denise Richards was very nice (we talked about a good place to rent skis), but Adrienne's ex-husband is a tool.  And sometime later this year, we all get to watch The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City!!!!  Meantime, Lisa Rinna's friend Sutton, is a pretentious twit, the new girl in New York, Leah, is my kind of girl!    Gosh, what's going to happen when hospitality opens up again and I have to go back to work?????  

Interesting what we are all doing these days as we go without hair cuts, make up and dressing up. I haven’t heard of Gallery Girls but Bravo does have some crazy reality shows. I don’t watch most of them but my sister did get me started on a few of the Housewives (hardly) shows. I grew up in the OC but my life and that of everyone I knew was nothing like those OC women. Yes, I like Leah, she seems a little more grounded but we shall see how that goes. Did not not know about the SLC housewives-hmmm.

Wow! I think I need to get a life-or at least get back to the one I had!