for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Lois, call the nurse care line tonight, have them walk you thru the injection, do not skip it Lois, good dinner...as long as you watched the amount of dressing...I’ve switched to squeezing a lemon or lime instead of dressing. Our oldest was retired from the military when she came back from the desert as a type 1 autoimmune diabetic. She now wears an insulin pump; she’s also a marathon runner. 

Call the nurse line tonight? It is late...….I will call in the morning and have to see my regular GP about all

this too:classic_blink:..…...I will start fresh tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Call the nurse line tonight? It is late...….I will call in the morning and have to see my regular GP about all

this too:classic_blink:..…...I will start fresh tomorrow.

Nurse lines are 24 hours a day. Hope you get this straightened out & get the medication figured out. Hope you feel well

34 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Nurse lines are 24 hours a day. Hope you get this straightened out & get the medication figured out. Hope you feel well

Good morning.....I was able to reach the pharmacist who pulled up my record (from the hospital). She was awesome and walked me through it.

Hoping I did it correctly. I ate breakfast too and have a Dr appt at 11:30 this morning with

my GP..…….will discuss ALL this with him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning.....I was able to reach the pharmacist who pulled up my record (from the hospital). She was awesome and walked me through it.

Hoping I did it correctly. I ate breakfast too and have a Dr appt at 11:30 this morning with

Good. A good pharmacist is so helpful. A good GP is priceless. If this diabetes is new I’d wonder if it was a side effect of the chemo. Maybe with diet you can eliminate the need for medication. Good luck. Glad you’re out of the hospital 

I didn't have chemo.....had radiation.  But now trying to reach back out to the Health Care but can't seem to be

getting very far:classic_sad:  and my GP cannot see me till Wednesday,,,,,,,,,,

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

My CNP checks my tests for kidney function, too.  It was a little low when I first got all my tests done a year ago.  Last week, she said I had made some progress and the results were looking better.  So, there is hope on that side.   

Have a good talk with your MD.  There are indeed types of type 2 that need insulin - my CNP told me that we can't get my A1C down and keep it down with just meds, I could have to go to insulin.  So, depending on what your tests were, have a good talk with your MD about trying some meds first.  

Carbs.  Ugh.  That's why I saw the dietitian/nutritionist.  I thought I'd be relegated to broiled chicken and lettuce.  But, we worked through how many carbs I could have each day and how they should be divided up over the day to keep as level as possible.  I was actually shocked at what I could eat.  It's not avoiding sugar, it's what percentage of the total carbs they are.  I have to wear my readers when I go shopping now so I can read those damn nutritional labels!!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

I didn't have chemo.....had radiation.  But now trying to reach back out to the Health Care but can't seem to be

getting very far:classic_sad:  and my GP cannot see me till Wednesday,,,,,,,,,,

Sorry, I thought you had had both. 

I wish all of you better health in the days to come!

For some light relief:  Grocery store fashion recap for today.  As expected, most shoppers were in either jeans or fitness attire. One man, however, was wearing silky-looking pajama(?) pants (the print made them look almost like my micro-pleated evening pants) and a well-tailored suit jacket.  Just coming from his Zoom office meeting?  But he also wore a toreador hat. Interesting.

Back to serious:  Many of us have been going through our closets and putting together donations for thrift shops.  We had an email from Goodwill saying to please hold off on donations.  A later one said they will have limited hours for contact-free donations.  All good.  We drove past St. Vincent de Paul; the entire property was surrounded by police tape.  I later heard that many people had dropped off furniture, bags of clothing, etc. all over the parking lot.  It rained, everything was ruined, and it all had to be trashed, at the expense of StVdP, I'm sure.  Not good.

Thanks girls...……...I found 2 people today who are going to help me so all was not lost.  2 different nurses...…...

now, for some reason my feet have started to swell up:classic_wacko:.....I can't win.

34 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks girls...……...I found 2 people today who are going to help me so all was not lost.  2 different nurses...…...

now, for some reason my feet have started to swell up:classic_wacko:.....I can't win.

Lois I hope the feet swelling isn't related to your kidneys...  please tell the dr. or nurses...glad that you have them to consult with :)

57 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Make sure you drink at least 64 ounces of water daily

Massage your feet

keep your feet elevated above your heart.

Epson salt bath (or foot bath)

There are more at-home remedies but these sound easy to do.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

They were not swollen when I was released from the hospital...…..Oh, the home care nurse is coming tomorrow

morning and will have her look at them. I have a GP appt on Wednesday...…...

• Like 1

Lois, swollen feet are an indication of kidney failure.  Lie on floor with feet elevated above your heart to see if it helps. Glad nurse is coming today  Start making your lust of questions for the doctor. I’m so sorry this is happening to you

Lois, I'm guessing in the hospital your legs were more elevated and you possibly had IV fluids.  Edema (swelling) can be a very serious thing, but it might be "normal" swelling - definitely have it looked at but try not to stress since worry won't change anything.  I'm glad you will be seen soon and can get it addressed.

Hi, the nurse was here for a long time.....we discussed a lot of things and I had to sign a bunch more paperwork.

Home care seems almost like they want you to "be needy"....I want more to be educated. I am still very self sufficient.

As for my feet.....omg...if this is a sign of kidney failure??? I just went through that....so it better not be

again!  I have a Dr appt tomorrow morning...…...will talk with him.   As for the water, I was told there is not a

certain amount for each person....64 ounces? That is a gallon. That is ALOT of water.  I read and heard each person

requires a different amount of water.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, the nurse was here for a long time.....we discussed a lot of things and I had to sign a bunch more paperwork.

Home care seems almost like they want you to "be needy"....I want more to be educated. I am still very self sufficient.

As for my feet.....omg...if this is a sign of kidney failure??? I just went through that....so it better not be

again!  I have a Dr appt tomorrow morning...…...will talk with him.   As for the water, I was told there is not a

certain amount for each person....64 ounces? That is a gallon. That is ALOT of water.  I read and heard each person

Lois I think getting educated about your condition is the best thing you could do...    it sounds like you are ready to tackle your new reality head on  :)  good luck with your Dr. appointment tomorrow & I hope you get all of your questions answered :) Sorry if we all jumped on you about the feet swelling but it's scary when you have kidney problems.  Hopefully it's under control.  :)

& to keep this slightly on topic, I am currently wearing a sleep tee with holes in it & flannel boxer shorts lol....  hair is in a braid from last night ;)

cruise wise, I booked our pre cruise hotel in Barcelona for next May.... starting to research where to stay post cruise...  it goes from Barcelona to Venice, & we've already spent a good deal of time in Venice....  I am looking into Austria or perhaps Switzerland....

I should be doing work right now, but I really, really don't want to....  couldn't sleep last night even though I went on a very long run last night....  stayed up reading till about 3:30 am & then woke wide awake at 7.... what is wrong with me??

stay safe everyone!

• Like 2

Hey, I sleep in T-shirts with holes - that's the norm...

I'm still doing the "waking up in the middle of the night" thing.   But, last night was the kicker:  after falling asleep again around 6am, the freakin' smoke detector in the bedroom starts to chirp!!!!!!!  Ever try to sleep while ignoring it???  Doesn't work.   I was not in the mood to go into the garage to grab the ladder.   Grrrrr.

Hair salons are allowed to open here once they had their safety compliance inspection from the Health Dept.  Got a text from my stylist this morning - she wanted to ask if I was comfortable to come in Thursday.  It's a small salon (3 stylists and 5 chairs), and I've known them for years, so I have no problem.   At least I know how much my hair has grown since Feb. 20 (had to miss the April 2 appt for COVID)!!   I think we'll just do the skunk covering this time and save doing some highlighting in June.  

Lois - just keep grinding through it!!!!  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

As for the water, I was told there is not a

Hi Lois R, I'm glad you'll be seeing a doctor soon.  The water amount was from a site for at home remedies for swollen feet. The site said 8 to 10  8 ounce glasses of water and I chose  8 glasses. Didn't mean to make you worry.  Just make sure you are drinking some water.  As for me, I'm having a margarita in honor of Cinco de Mayo! 😉☺️

Please keep us posted👍😄

• Like 1

Thanks girls, I do appreciate all your good thoughts and kind words.  I am drinking water. I have a bottle that is 24

ounces..…..I am drinking it.  All I know is they were not swollen on Sunday (I was released from the hospital on Sat).

Will be seeing my Dr in the morning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Thanks girls, I do appreciate all your good thoughts and kind words.  I am drinking water. I have a bottle that is 24

ounces..…..I am drinking it.  All I know is they were not swollen on Sunday (I was released from the hospital on Sat).

Will be seeing my Dr in the morning.

There is some balancing that you and your team are probably going to work out.  It takes time.  It took us a couple of months, playing with to get it straightened out.

As for that 64 oz - It's been around a lot in different papers and stuff as a universal amount of water.  Yep, it's a gallon.  I don't like  plain water, never have.  Probably from having horrible sulfur smelling water in my town.   Now, I try to force it down.  I try to add different things to make it palatable.  Not convinced yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

There is some balancing that you and your team are probably going to work out.  It takes time.  It took us a couple of months, playing with to get it straightened out.

As for that 64 oz - It's been around a lot in different papers and stuff as a universal amount of water.  Yep, it's a gallon.  I don't like  plain water, never have.  Probably from having horrible sulfur smelling water in my town.   Now, I try to force it down.  I try to add different things to make it palatable.  Not convinced yet.

I agree! Tap water can taste bad but I use a stainless steel lined container that improves the taste and keeps my water cold! You can find those containers at Walmart or go fancy with S'well. Those containers usually hold 16 ounces so you would only need 4 of those to drink 64 ounces or a half a gallon of water. Any increase in water is a good thing and a great detoxifier, especially after my Cinco de Mayo margaritas!🍹😁

18 hours ago, Lois R said:

I've read that most people should drink half as many ounces as they weigh in pounds, so 64 ounces would be for a 128 pound person.  It is questionable if that includes water from high water foods (watermelon, tomatoes, etc) and other drinks (milk, coffee, tea).

I drink a lot of water, so 64 ounces doesn't seem like that much-  drinking through a straw makes it easier for me.  Definitely check with your doctor though as some people are advised not to drink as much due to other health concerns.  Anything with caffeine can also act as a diuretic and can impact the kidneys so that might be another question.

Home health probably does want you to "be needy" to an extent if it is being covered by insurance.  When my parents had home visits there had to be both a need and signs of improvement (your mileage may vary of course).

It's great that they listened to you and didn't rush the visit.  Best wishes for your Dr's appt.

On topic - I've got hair in a pony tail, work out clothes and a comfy cardigan but slides instead of sneakers.  Will get the lace up shoes on soon and do my workout.

I did remember to moisturize 🙂 

• Like 2

I haven't posted too much on this thread...but I've continued to read. Lois...I hope you get the info you need. I am also someone that wants more info. It sounds like you get info and make decisions for yourself and what is best for you, and I really hope that you can get everything worked out and get healthy.

Do be careful with the whole water topic. I'm not an expert, and all my research has had me questioning things that I took for granted in the past. The right amount of water for each person is a touchy subject because there has been so much touting of different equations based on body weight for what is ideal for each person. Recent research would indicate though that these calculations aren't necessarily ideal. You have to be aware of the type of water you are drinking. There is a lot of backlash now on filtered/purified/RO water and the effects of low mineral water on the body. There is also concern over the temperature of the water. You can hurt your digestive track if it's too cold. There is also concern over whether the water has any other nutritional value, as plain water can overwork kidneys because it can go through the body too quickly. Also the WAY you drink HOW much...as in, do you take little sips throughout the day? Or do you chug down a larger glass fewer times a day? And how close to meal times do you drink water? At what temperature? Are you diluting your stomach acid too much? Lowering the temperature of your stomach too much?

It's actually a complicated topic if you research it fully. So I commend you on your response that said that individual needs vary. So true.

On topic...I'm wearing exercise clothes and I actually plan to exercise today.

• Like 1