P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Doubt you’re able to be listening to this, Jean, but You and Yours on Radio 4 is currently discussing the impact on holiday locations of tourists currently visiting.

Some very bad feedback from Devon and Cornwall about the behaviour of what’s being termed a new breed of visitors. Arrogant, rude, damage to property, even a comment that the new people are very different from the traditional visitors - and the suggestion that these are people who normally visit Benidorm and Torremolinos, but can’t.  No mention of cruisers - yet!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Also a mystery, what happened to Burtons?

Don't answer 'gone for a burton' 😁

13 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I’m afraid it has! Quite a shock, just never opened again after Covid - all the signage has gone too 😱

I noticed that when I went last week. Burton’s had been there forever, so I was really surprised to see that it had gone.

I’m currently doing click and collect from Sainsbury’s, which is collected in the car park, so haven’t been in the shopping centre so much recently. 

I used to work in the Dockyard area, so we often went into the Dockside Outlet for coffee at lunch time. Dockside has never been much as a shopping centre, but the Boomers Australian style cafe was a real success story. It had been open since 2003, and on my rare visits to Dockside recently, the cafe seemed to be getting bigger and bigger. I heard the other week that Boomers won’t be reopening. I’m really sad about this, as it was a great cafe. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Used to be up there 2 or 3 times a week before Covid! I used to work in the Sainsbury’s when my son was little and my Mum worked in the M&S before she retired in 2000 or 2001!

I used to be there several times a week too. We braved Sainsbury's through the worst of lockdown but actually found the grocery shopping worse once restrictions started lifting and have done click and collect for the last 6 weeks or so. My daughter works in Clinton's there.

We noticed Burton's clearing out a couple of months ago, so far I think it's the only shop up there that hasn't survived. I wondered if M & Co had closed because of Covid-19 but a friend told me it was planned well before that.

It's certainly saving me money going there less!

• Like 1

Must go back to Hempstead soon.

Had extensive physio at the clinic there.  They did wonders with helping  me, physically and  my thinking,  after my accident.   Excellent but no namby pambying... just what I needed.. perfect for me. (on thread as it was an "on the way" to a cruise accident!!!)😃

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I noticed that when I went last week. Burton’s had been there forever, so I was really surprised to see that it had gone.

I’m currently doing click and collect from Sainsbury’s, which is collected in the car park, so haven’t been in the shopping centre so much recently. 

I used to work in the Dockyard area, so we often went into the Dockside Outlet for coffee at lunch time. Dockside has never been much as a shopping centre, but the Boomers Australian style cafe was a real success story. It had been open since 2003, and on my rare visits to Dockside recently, the cafe seemed to be getting bigger and bigger. I heard the other week that Boomers won’t be reopening. I’m really sad about this, as it was a great cafe. 

That’s really a shame about Boomers it was always busy when we went, very surprised it didn’t survive.

• Like 2

Been to work this morning.

Probably half the customers plus the owners in the convenience stores in Middlesbrough I called at did not wear face masks!!!.

Fortunately I had my plastic visor on and plenty of Dettol Wipes in the car.

I will revert back to phoning customers from home as it is not safe.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Doubt you’re able to be listening to this, Jean, but You and Yours on Radio 4 is currently discussing the impact on holiday locations of tourists currently visiting.

Some very bad feedback from Devon and Cornwall about the behaviour of what’s being termed a new breed of visitors. Arrogant, rude, damage to property, even a comment that the new people are very different from the traditional visitors - and the suggestion that these are people who normally visit Benidorm and Torremolinos, but can’t.  No mention of cruisers - yet!

I haven't listened to it Harry, but Frank and I were discussing this exact topic over breakfast. We were astounded by the violence and destruction that some were  blaming on  being in lockdown. Utter rubbish. My thought is, that the football hooligans are having to change their venue now the stadiums are closed to spectators. It seems to be that typical type of mindless football behaviour to me. 

Avril 

39 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I haven't listened to it Harry, but Frank and I were discussing this exact topic over breakfast. We were astounded by the violence and destruction that some were  blaming on  being in lockdown. Utter rubbish. My thought is, that the football hooligans are having to change their venue now the stadiums are closed to spectators. It seems to be that typical type of mindless football behaviour to me. 

Avril 

If this sort of 'tourist' is hitting Jean's area, Avril, it's no surprise she's complaining about the grockles.  The south west has traditionally had pretty civilised visitors, but what the locals (some, not all, of course) are saying is that this year they're getting a very different type of customer.

One of the people interviewed at lunchtime said he'd never seen such damage done to rented properties, citing one case of a barbecue being thrown into a swimming pool.

The suggestion was that they've imported the sort of behaviour that the British are sadly known for in certain holiday resorts these days - drunkenness, misbehaviour and violence.  Not what you normally get in  Devon and Cornwall, and I know those coastal resorts pretty well - even Newquay isn't that bad!

Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry, no didn't hear it, but it's absolutely right.  We have never had behaviour like this.  It's crowds of youngsters usually at night, throwing glass around.  The public toilets on the quay are a disaster area by the morning and usually again covered in bottles, broken glass and - err - sick.

We don't usually get this.  For all my comments about the second home owners, it's not them, it is a new visitor type, maybe the ones who usually go to certain places in Spain.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If this sort of 'tourist' is hitting Jean's area, Avril, it's no surprise she's complaining about the grockles.  The south west has traditionally had pretty civilised visitors, but what the locals (some, not all, of course) are saying is that this year they're getting a very different type of customer.

One of the people interviewed at lunchtime said he'd never seen such damage done to rented properties, citing one case of a barbecue being thrown into a swimming pool.

The suggestion was that they've imported the sort of behaviour that the British are sadly known for in certain holiday resorts these days - drunkenness, misbehaviour and violence.  Not what you normally get in  Devon and Cornwall, and I know those coastal resorts pretty well - even Newquay isn't that bad!

Harry

Our country seems to be overrun lately by these mindless, feral hooligans, but nothing is being done. Naughty boy, smack on the wrist and that's it. Discipline seems to be a forbidden word now, but  there is a huge  difference between discipline and physical assault.

A small minority of our generation acted in similar ways , I'm not saying we were all perfect, far from it, but we had discipline and respect for others, and if we stepped out of line, suffered the consequences. Too much bad and violent behaviour is ignored as a "lesser" crime nowadays  and not important enough to pursue. Try telling that to those on the receiving end. I'll get off my soapbox now before I'm pushed. You can tell this is a sore subject with me.😆

Avril 

• Like 7

The problem with the normal types is usually on the water.  For instance, 2 kids, aged 10 and 12 alone in a rib with a 10hp engine.  That rib can go on the plane quite fast.  Neither child had Powerboat Level 2 and were speeding.  So dangerous.  Parents have no idea.  But the same parent caught the following day doing 20 knots in the harbour where the speed limit is 6!!.  Grrr.

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The problem with the normal types is usually on the water.  For instance, 2 kids, aged 10 and 12 alone in a rib with a 10hp engine.  That rib can go on the plane quite fast.  Neither child had Powerboat Level 2 and were speeding.  So dangerous.  Parents have no idea.  But the same parent caught the following day doing 20 knots in the harbour where the speed limit is 6!!.  Grrr.

I think our local lifeboats were called out five times the other day.    They were all for leisure rescues ie jet skis, rubber boats etc.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I wonder if they have any insurance in place for when they cause damage or injury. Probably not . Same for those nice , green eco-friendly electric scooters running around on the pavement. Are mobility scooters exempt?.🤔

• Like 1

Similar picture here!  Newspaper report says Police used PAVA spray on Friday to disperse fighting youngsters.  Never heard of it before  - apparently atype of pepper spray used to try to control brawling.  16 year olds were arrested - and this at 4.30 pm!   

Also multiple call outs for people in trouble on the water. 

We've got a complete disregard for parking rules, rubbish dumped anywhere (including hundreds of Nitrous Oxide canisters), by the kerbside, on the beach etc.  They bring the stuff with them, why can't they just put it in a carrier and take it home to dispose of?  It is predominantly young people i have to say.  We've never seen anything like this before even when the town's been packed out on Bank Holidays or Air Show.  

But the complete lack of respect for others and the environment is most depressing. 

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 2

No excuse at all for this behaviour but I’m guessing because many of them haven’t been to school/ work for a long time doesn’t help. Not excusing it at all just trying to think why it’s so bad this year.

I was amazed when I heard there were 600,000 Brits in Spain! Thank goodness I thought, imagine 600,000 more people on our beaches! 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I wonder if they have any insurance in place for when they cause damage or injury. Probably not . Same for those nice , green eco-friendly electric scooters running around on the pavement. Are mobility scooters exempt?.🤔

They are not allowed to pay harbour dues without insurance, so that is something at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to buck the trend again but been to Cheshire Oaks Outlet Chester today and it was all very civilised. Everyone in masks queuing if needs be at a distance .... and  now back in to North Wales where it all feels very safe and sensible.

I hate to say this and will probably get flamed but it may be your wealthy ones who think they are entitled. We have seen many of those on cruise ships who think they deserve to be there and be treated as of special ignoring staff etc etc.

Now for the 'time to be  flamed' bit .... all of those entitled ones we've come across were what we'd call Yuppies from the South with a bit of money and an attitude to go with it. I am no saying that everyone is the same but its not just your Benidorm AI who can be annoying...... The Yuppie crowd are closer to Devon and Cornwall so perhaps they come from that general part of the UK. Ouch ... sorry. 

• Like 3

Presto, don't be sorry.  There are 'orrible types from all over.  I can honestly say we have some lovely customers mostly, only spoilt by either the nouveau rich rude ones and the 'orrible ones.  you only remember the 'orrible ones!  About a month ago, one of our customers was curt with me for the second time this year.  He sent me a beautiful bunch of flowers with a card that said it was unforgiveable of him to be curt with me twice!  Ha ha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We live very near to the lovely coast but haven’t been there since March ☹️.  But, we are used to lots of holidaymakers here in town during the school holidays.  I must say that although things feel busy (especially compared with March April etc) it’s nice & relaxed and we haven’t had any nastiness, as far as I know.

It seems you just need to move a few miles back from the sea to lose the oiks 

(We still have coastal bolt holes when we’re ready,  but I’m not telling you!J

21 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Presto, don't be sorry.  There are 'orrible types from all over.  I can honestly say we have some lovely customers mostly, only spoilt by either the nouveau rich rude ones and the 'orrible ones.  you only remember the 'orrible ones!  About a month ago, one of our customers was curt with me for the second time this year.  He sent me a beautiful bunch of flowers with a card that said it was unforgiveable of him to be curt with me twice!  Ha ha. 

Just feel like the press are thinking that it is all about the Benidorm AI crowd and not thinking about the well off Yuppie brigade .. if you know what I mean ....... 

Well its beautiful again here to tonight .... anyone guess where the view is ?

20200804_195705.jpg

Went into Plymouth today with my husband and I have to say, the majority of people were wearing masks.  We had something to do in the bank and had to stand for over an hour while this girl went through making a Chaps payment.  Now wouldn't you think we could have sat down somewhere?  Open plan banking is ridiculous.  I think it's the first time either of us has been in a bank for about 4 years!

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Went into Plymouth today with my husband and I have to say, the majority of people were wearing masks.  We had something to do in the bank and had to stand for over an hour while this girl went through making a Chaps payment.  Now wouldn't you think we could have sat down somewhere?  Open plan banking is ridiculous.  I think it's the first time either of us has been in a bank for about 4 years!

We had to go into the bank last year to close an account, which couldn’t be done online. It was quite odd in the branch. No tills at all, but various interview pods and squishy sofas. Unless you knew it was a bank, you’d be hard pressed to know what sort of business it was. It was especially disconcerting, as I worked in the banking industry for 40 years, and 28 of those years was at that particular bank! On the plus side, the person who served me had worked there since the 80s, so we had lots of mutual colleagues that we had worked with

l’ve  sent a few Chaps payments in my time, and if it took her an hour, she must have been making a right meal of it! 

• Like 2

Well, microwave and cupboards fitted, kitchen back to normal with freshly painted walls. Frank even had time to alter the doors and lay the hall runner. Perfect. Open the wine and relax🍷. Job well done, I don’t know what all the fuss was about😊😉

Avril 

• Like 8