P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You are extremely local to me! 

To give you an idea, this morning we walked to Dobbies for coffee, which we tend to do a couple of times a month. Other times, we like to walk to Hempstead Valley and have coffee in M&S or Costa. During lockdown we got quite inventive with our walking. We’ve been walking in Bredhurst Woods, and walking across the fields to Hartlip 

It looks as if there’s quite a few Kentish people on the forum. 

It's a small world 🙂 very local!

We've just got back from Hempstead Valley, no time for a coffee though, my husband is in the middle of putting up a new utility room roof. I haven't been to Dobbies since March but are planning on going sometime this week, we've missed our free monthly drinks!

• Like 1

Afternoon peeps

all things seems to be going well in our house. 
hubby has had good news. Everyone who wanted redundancy has taken it in the business so no more now till at least 2022. 

They aren’t going to be worked as much as they did before but looks like still going strong so it might be slightly difficult with our shifts and childcare especially as school have had to change their policies too for staggered opening and closing which would have to mean that my two are the furthest apart that they could possibly be at 8.30 then 9 and pick up at 3 then 3.30. I’m hoping school will understand and just take them both around the same time. 
obviously hubbys wages won’t get back to where they were for a few years but we are still all good on that front. Now we know that his job is as safe as it was before we have booked in for the patio done. We were going to have it done last year but those cowboys didn’t turn up so I cancelled them which was probably lucky for us. 

going miller and carters today just to help out 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

It's a small world 🙂 very local!

We've just got back from Hempstead Valley, no time for a coffee though, my husband is in the middle of putting up a new utility room roof. I haven't been to Dobbies since March but are planning on going sometime this week, we've missed our free monthly drinks!

Yes, we like our free drinks. They carried forward all the free drinks, so you’ll have freebies on a few visits. It’s a little strange, as they have greatly reduced the amount of food.available and a lot of tables have been removed, but when you are sitting  at your table witch your mask off, it seems like normality for half an hour. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Yes, we like our free drinks. They carried forward all the free drinks, so you’ll have freebies on a few visits. It’s a little strange, as they have greatly reduced the amount of food.available and a lot of tables have been removed, but when you are sitting  at your table witch your mask off, it seems like normality for half an hour. 

That's handy to know, thank you. We haven't eaten, or had a drink, out yet, so am a little apprehensive, but I'm sure we'll get used to it, the same as we got used to the new shopping experience.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Afternoon peeps

hubby has had good news. Everyone who wanted redundancy has taken it in the business so no more now till at least 2022. 

They aren’t going to be worked as much as they did before but looks like still going strong so it might be slightly difficult with our shifts and childcare especially as school have had to change their policies too for staggered opening and closing which would have to mean that my two are the furthest apart that they could possibly be at 8.30 then 9 and pick up at 3 then 3.30. I’m hoping school will understand and just take them both around the same time. 
obviously hubbys wages won’t get back to where they were for a few years but we are still all good on that front. Now we know that his job is as safe as it was before we have booked in for the patio done. We were going to have it done last year but those cowboys didn’t turn up so I cancelled them which was probably lucky for us. 

I'm so pleased things are on the up for you now Vamps.  I know you've had a worrying time of it recently, but you can now put it all behind you and move forward with more positivity. I hope the same can be said for many more posters soon. 

Avril 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Afternoon peeps

Very good news about your hubby's job!

It's a shame your girls have different drop off and pick up times. The school that I'm a governor for have worked it out by surname so that siblings arrive and leave together, seems the most sensible solution,

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Very good news about your hubby's job!

It's a shame your girls have different drop off and pick up times. The school that I'm a governor for have worked it out by surname so that siblings arrive and leave together, seems the most sensible solution,

im hoping school will understand. My working hours are around their school time so they should help they are usually very good I can’t really fault them with all this. 

Just hoping the iona will be running in July next year!

15 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I'm crossing my fingers too that they'll be up and running by next summer. I've just moved this year's holiday to next June. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Definitely! I cant wait to see people's photos and videos of Iona once she's sailing. 45 and a half weeks to go for me, not that I'm counting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

Afternoon peeps

That's good news about your hubby's job.

59 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Afternoon peeps

Glad it's working out for you. We are off to Miller and Carter a bit later. I doubt we will bump into you as our local restaurant is in Surrey. I'll avoid the onion loaf as it gave me indigestion last time, but as that was months ago I may have a small piece, just to help out😁

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

That's handy to know, thank you. We haven't eaten, or had a drink, out yet, so am a little apprehensive, but I'm sure we'll get used to it, the same as we got used to the new shopping experience.

I am glad I am not the only person who is a bit apprehensive about eating and drinking out.  I have got to get brave because I had an invitation this morning to go to a very nice local restaurant on the 20th.  It will be my first meal out since February.  We did go next door on Saturday for a barbecue but there were only 6 of us and we were socially distanced in the fresh air at 2 metres between each couple.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I am glad I am not the only person who is a bit apprehensive about eating and drinking out.  I have got to get brave because I had an invitation this morning to go to a very nice local restaurant on the 20th.  It will be my first meal out since February.  We did go next door on Saturday for a barbecue but there were only 6 of us and we were socially distanced in the fresh air at 2 metres between each couple.

I hope that you have a lovely time!

I had forgotten that we had afternoon tea out last week but that was outside with only three other couples on the restaurant terrace. It will certainly feel very strange going into a restaurant or cafe.

Edited by SarahHben

1 hour ago, Polly1922 said:

Pot and kettle?

I thought it was funny.

I started a fun thread on here a few weeks ago so you must know I have a sense of humor.

Polly 😍

Bill Gates is spending squillions of dollars of his own money to try and improve the lot of mankind. I think that deserves better than cheap shots. Just saying 😁

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I’m also apprehensive about eating out. Prior to lockdown I usually lunched with friends in a pub or restaurant a couple of times a week, but my last one was 14th March. We have had friends to eat with us in the garden twice recently, but I think it will feel quite strange to go into a pub or restaurant and have strangers sitting nearby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Definitely! I cant wait to see people's photos and videos of Iona once she's sailing. 45 and a half weeks to go for me, not that I'm counting!

I hope you enjoy your cruise and post a review. 55 and a half weeks for us, not counting of course. Our end of August this year Iona cruise has changed to the Bank holiday weekend on Dartmoor and a week in St Ives. The weekend is far enough from Salcombe that Jean may let me off😂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh dear.😞 What began at 10.45  this morning as the removal of a microwave from a cupboard that Frank said would be , and I quote " a ten minute job", has now morphed into the complete removal of four cupboards "because it would be easier that way" so he said, I'll believe him, he is a joiner after all. I also have a partially  redecorated kitchen and cupboard contents scattered over every available surface.

It'll look a lot better tomorrow with the new microwave in. I hope😣 Help!!!!!

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I hope you enjoy your cruise and post a review. 55 and a half weeks for us, not counting of course. Our end of August this year Iona cruise has changed to the Bank holiday weekend on Dartmoor and a week in St Ives. The weekend is far enough from Salcombe that Jean may let me off😂.

Thank you, you too. Yes I'll post a review and I expect my husband will do some videoing and put it on YouTube. 

Enjoy Dartmoor and St Ives, I haven't been to St Ives since I was a child, which was many years ago. We're taking our daughter and Grandson to Westward Ho! for a week this October to make up for several lost holidays this year. The countdown for that one is only 8 and a half weeks 🤣

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Bill Gates is spending squillions of dollars of his own money to try and improve the lot of mankind. I think that deserves better than cheap shots. Just saying 😁

I think it was just a joke and not worth getting upset about.

Some jokes sound funny and you want to share them without thinking then regret it later and Polly1922 did start a fun thread on here so she obviously doesn't take things too seriously.

There are some on the RCL just add fun thread that are dubious to say the least.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I agree, I was a bit apprehensive at first.  But I have been very reassured by my experiences. We've had a few coffees out, and a couple of weeks ago we had a pub lunch.  We've only gone out when we think it'll be quiet, and the cafes and the pub have put a lot of effort into making it a safe feeling experience.  The tables have been well spread out,, so it doesn't feel as if you are crammed next to other people.

Next week I'm having lunch out with my husband as it's our wedding anniversary, and I'll also be having an afternoon tea with a couple of friends, which was originally booked in March for my birthday. 

I'm enjoying to opportunity to carefully go out and about a bit, because I think it'll be likely that virus cases will increase with winter, then I'll be more inclined to stay in. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh dear.😞 What began at 10.45  this morning as the removal of a microwave from a cupboard that Frank said would be , and I quote " a ten minute job", has now morphed into the complete removal of four cupboards "because it would be easier that way" so he said, I'll believe him, he is a joiner after all. I also have a partially  redecorated kitchen and cupboard contents scattered over every available surface.

It'll look a lot better tomorrow with the new microwave in. I hope😣 Help!!!!!

Avril 

Good job he is a joiner.

I'm sure you will be pleased when he is finished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

IMG-20200803-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Polly1922
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3