P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I was reading our local paper this morning with a Q&A about what can and cannot be done now we are in a new lockdown situation. TBH it ought to be fairly simple for people to calculate the risks associated with all activities. Staying at home and seeing no one should be perfectly safe, going out to dine in a busy restaurant and being closer than 3 ft to strangers for long periods, is likely to be fairly high on the risk factor, whereas having one family group round for a BBQ, eating outside and making sure all surfaces are kept clean should be significantly safer, and you can calculate most situations and their risk yourself.

But the media seem intent on hyping everything, like "Can I visit a lockdown area with my incontinent dog to attend a wedding and then stay in a local hotel and have a holiday", OK I exaggerate but the assumption by the press that the population has an IQ somewhere south of 50 is IMO deeply offensive.

I think that you have expressed rather better what I was trying to say.

Without in any way belittling the dangers of CV19, and I take account of Andy's friend, we do need to try and carry on with some sort of normal life, but mitigating risks to an acceptable personal level.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I was reading our local paper this morning with a Q&A about what can and cannot be done now we are in a new lockdown situation. TBH it ought to be fairly simple for people to calculate the risks associated with all activities. Staying at home and seeing no one should be perfectly safe, going out to dine in a busy restaurant and being closer than 3 ft to strangers for long periods, is likely to be fairly high on the risk factor, whereas having one family group round for a BBQ, eating outside and making sure all surfaces are kept clean should be significantly safer, and you can calculate most situations and their risk yourself.

But the media seem intent on hyping everything, like "Can I visit a lockdown area with my incontinent dog to attend a wedding and then stay in a local hotel and have a holiday", OK I exaggerate but the assumption by the press that the population has an IQ somewhere south of 50 is IMO deeply offensive.

I agree with most of what you have said John but think it is not just the press treating the population as though they are low in the IQ department. All this nonsense about ‘bubbles’ and the inane three word catchphrases the politicians repeat ad nauseum are also an insult to the intelligence of the majority who listen. My guess is that those with low IQs do not listen to the news very much anyway and certainly turn off when any politician opens their mouth.

• Like 3

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

Them hills from the advert are in Dorset... Shaftesbury I think? 

Andy

Correct - lovely pub at the bottom of the hill. A sod to climb back up the hill after a few pints.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Gold Hill, Shaftesbury is the ‘Hovis hill’

There’s even a statue of The Bike at the top

It’s very steep!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I think that you have expressed rather better what I was trying to say.

Without in any way belittling the dangers of CV19, and I take account of Andy's friend, we do need to try and carry on with some sort of normal life, but mitigating risks to an acceptable personal level.

I don't disagree Wowzz, we can trust ourselves to be sensible and control our own environment, but as John says, the more we put ourselves out there, the more risk involved. 

Unfortunately there are too many taking no notice of any guidelines, putting us all at risk. 

Andy 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Indeed.  I think we all need to realise that CV19 cannot be eradicated  at present. All we can do is control it, and take into account that for the vast majority of the population, CV19 is not lethal.

There needs to be a balance between controlling the spread of the virus,  and destroying the economy. 

Being blunt, the reasonably healthy,  middle class,  middle aged white person has nothing to worry about. However there are many that do not fall into that category,  hence the need for geographic lockdowns.

But I do think  that Boris has instilled a fear culture into society, which is patently unnecessary. Too many people have developed an unnecessary sense of paranoia,  which is unjustified. 

There’s a group of people who are gung ho and think they are invulnerable, then there’s another group who still won’t leave the house. Then there’s everybody else, at varying degrees in the middle who are trying to live their lives within the new guidelines.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, SarahHben said:

We looked after our baby grandson for 5 hours this morning and he was so good, no crying at all, I was so relieved!
Then we went to Leeds Castle for a lovely afternoon tea on a shady terrace overlooking the castle.
ea9add3ba0defcf301b61e02231b6149.jpgf183225e0208899d492d5bd45d2325a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looks lovely.

What a nice place to visit.

Graham

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I agree with most of what you have said John but think it is not just the press treating the population as though they are low in the IQ department. All this nonsense about ‘bubbles’ and the inane three word catchphrases the politicians repeat ad nauseum are also an insult to the intelligence of the majority who listen. My guess is that those with low IQs do not listen to the news very much anyway and certainly turn off when any politician opens their mouth.

This is a complex situation, with guidelines that are ever shifting and changing. I can’t pretend to know every single guideline, but I do my best to keep up to date with the ones that apply to me.

I would much rather hear clear messaging, than three word slogans. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

Looks lovely, but I ain't going to Yorkshire to see Leeds Castle... 

Yes, I am joking, I do know its in Kent.. 😊😊

Andy 

Too far for us to travel for a day trip.

Yorkshire has some lovely places to visit as does Cumbria, Durham and Northumberland.

We will probably visit York and Harrogate next week.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Happy Yorkshire Day 

Now I want to go buy some Hovis (can't think why though?).

21 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Because it's luurvaly 😋. No hills to climb though I hope? 😉

Avril 

You have both got me thinking back to when Fletchers used to come down our street :classic_smile:

Fletchers-Van.jpg.c8e5cac081c0efd0f6f3d3b04350e9ba.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

This is a complex situation, with guidelines that are ever shifting and changing. I can’t pretend to know every single guideline, but I do my best to keep up to date with the ones that apply to me.

I would much rather hear clear messaging, than three word slogans. 

I don't think it's possible to have clear cut messages that cover every eventuality, which is why someone in govt has come up with these slogans to reinforce the important parts of the guidance.  So far it has been more than adequate for me, and even though I have felt that as a family we could be a bit more relaxed and still be safe, we have followed the general guidance. 

28 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

I know they are Andy, I was just trying to be funny😆, and you all know how trying I can be without trying  to be trying.😂😂

Avril 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I don't disagree Wowzz, we can trust ourselves to be sensible and control our own environment, but as John says, the more we put ourselves out there, the more risk involved. 

Unfortunately there are too many taking no notice of any guidelines, putting us all at risk. 

Andy 

Too true. Our local one-stop store was very strict for the first couple of days. No mask, no entry, even the staff wore masks. It must have affected their sales because now it's a "please yourself" attitude, even with the staff. Joe still puts a mask on when he goes in , but what flippin' use is that? He's protecting others, what about his protection and ultimately ours? 😞

Avril 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Gold Hill, Shaftesbury is the ‘Hovis hill’

There’s even a statue of The Bike at the top

It’s very steep!

I remember the Two Ronnies mocking of that advert, where Ronnie Barker was pushing the bike up Gold Hill, to the Hovis music, getting more and more exhausted and the strap line was finally read out “Grandad always said t’wer a bloody long way t’ go for a loaf o bread” 😂 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Too true. Our local one-stop store was very strict for the first couple of days. No mask, no entry, even the staff wore masks. It must have affected their sales because now it's a "please yourself" attitude, even with the staff. Joe still puts a mask on when he goes in , but what flippin' use is that? He's protecting others, what about his protection and ultimately ours? 😞

Avril 

All the posts above have very valid points in them but human nature being what it is ,they crave normality 

in their lives and as with the One stop shop they revert back to what they think is normal.

"if I act normal ,then things will be normal" Seems to be their way of thought only made worse when they see others 

acting the same.Some jump on the bandwagon "It's only advisory ,so I do what I please"

As has been posted ,if you know it's safe then do it but I would add whilst thinking of others .

There cannot be a one rule that fits all situations but that is no excuse to ignore the rules that were made 

in good faith trying to protect everyone .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I remember the Two Ronnies mocking of that advert, where Ronnie Barker was pushing the bike up Gold Hill, to the Hovis music, getting more and more exhausted and the strap line was finally read out “Grandad always said t’wer a bloody long way t’ go for a loaf o bread” 😂 

I worked in Shaftesbury for a couple of years.

We lived in the nearby village of Milborne Port. Our very old cottage didn't have a number, just a name- "Upper  Gunville Gate" - it was a sod filling in your address on documents!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Looks lovely.

What a nice place to visit.

Graham

It is beautiful, especially on a sunny day. We're lucky to have it so near by.

There are so many lovely places around the UK, and so many that I have never visited, I need to make a 'must visit' list.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I am really missing visiting all my favourite places in London. I love wandering round the museums and galleries, visiting the various palaces, sitting in the parks, afternoon tea in my favourite restaurant etc.

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

It is beautiful, especially on a sunny day. We're lucky to have it so near by.

There are so many lovely places around the UK, and so many that I have never visited, I need to make a 'must visit' list.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I am really missing visiting all my favourite places in London. I love wandering round the museum and galleries, visiting the various palaces, sitting in the parks, afternoon tea in my favourite restaurant etc.

We were due to go to London next month. We had booked an afternoon performance at Shakespeare’s Globe, and was going to do the tour of the Globe in the morning. Both cancelled now, and promptly refunded. 

If Round Britain cruises become more of a ‘thing’ in the post COVID19 era, I would be very happy about that. I have done two with P&O and two with CMV, and enjoyed them all very much. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, kalos said:

All the posts above have very valid points in them but human nature being what it is ,they crave normality 

in their lives and as with the One stop shop they revert back to what they think is normal.

"if I act normal ,then things will be normal" Seems to be their way of thought only made worse when they see others 

acting the same.Some jump on the bandwagon "It's only advisory ,so I do what I please"

As has been posted ,if you know it's safe then do it but I would add whilst thinking of others .

There cannot be a one rule that fits all situations but that is no excuse to ignore the rules that were made 

in good faith trying to protect everyone .

+1

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We were due to go to London next month. We had booked an afternoon performance at Shakespeare’s Globe, and was going to do the tour of the Globe in the morning. Both cancelled now, and promptly refunded. 

If Round Britain cruises become more of a ‘thing’ in the post COVID19 era, I would be very happy about that. I have done two with P&O and two with CMV, and enjoyed them all very much. 

Have you been to the Globe before? It's a brilliant experience! We had tickets booked for early June this year, I'm hoping they do the same plays next year as they were due to do this year. We did the tour about 6 years ago but would like to do it again. 

A round Britain cruise does appeal to me too.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Have you been to the Globe before? It's a brilliant experience! We had tickets booked for early June this year, I'm hoping they do the same plays next year as they were due to do this year. We did the tour about 6 years ago but would like to do it again. 

No, we’ve never been before.

It’s one of those things we’ve always meant to do but never quite got round to doing.

We only had one cruise booked for 2020 (with Fred Olsen in March, and that was cancelled), as we were going to have a year of U.K. holidays and activities. So back in February, when life was different, we made our booking for September. I think we were going to see ‘As You Like It’.  

When we can, we will definitely rebook. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We have done a round Britain cruise on Princess a number of years ago and really enjoyed it. 

Yesterday I got a call from our cruise consultant at Princess who was ringing to tell us about an offer on Crown Princess Round Britain cruises for next year.  We are looking on the bright side and hoping that cruising will have resumed by next summer so we have taken up the offer. 

If things still look dodgy when we have to pay the balance we will cancel and just lose the £100 deposit of we cannot move it of take FCC.

• Like 1