P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We looked after our baby grandson for 5 hours this morning and he was so good, no crying at all, I was so relieved!
Then we went to Leeds Castle for a lovely afternoon tea on a shady terrace overlooking the castle.
ea9add3ba0defcf301b61e02231b6149.jpgf183225e0208899d492d5bd45d2325a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love Leeds Castle.i haven’t been for a few years, but I think it’s time for a return visit 

• Like 5

Today signals the final day of my almost 5 months shielding. I am due straight back into work on Monday however feel very uneasy having been so confined for such a lengthy period, I am going to attempt to do as much as I feel safe to do however feel as a shielded person it won't be long before Boris throws me back into these conditions I have become familiar with. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dermotsgirl said:

I noticed that comment too.

it says to me that this is the best it’s going to get for quite a while, which is an unsettling thought.

He was of course linking it to the current level of infections, so if we can reduce them  then we can open up more activities. So it's not necessarily total doom and gloom

11 minutes ago, winman14 said:

Today signals the final day of my almost 5 months shielding. I am due straight back into work on Monday however feel very uneasy having been so confined for such a lengthy period, I am going to attempt to do as much as I feel safe to do however feel as a shielded person it won't be long before Boris throws me back into these conditions I have become familiar with. 

I feel for you.  Hope it goes well, in a good safe environment. 

I'm also shielded but it's much more controllable when you've retired.

If things go the wrong way I imagine the new policy starting tomorrow for the shielded will have to be reversed.

Drove back from London today.  Humungous hold up on the M3.  A303 was full of Hay lorries, boats on trailers and caravans.  5 hours for a drive that took me 3.5 on Tuesday the other way.

Looks like I might be busy at the office tomorrow 🤣

I love Leeds Castle.i haven’t been for a few years, but I think it’s time for a return visit 

It was almost empty this afternoon, very peaceful. They’re restricting numbers with a booking system and have a one way system in place, it all seems to be working very well. I think we might go back soon and take a picnic. It’s only about 20 minutes drive from us. One of my favourite places [emoji4]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

We looked after our baby grandson for 5 hours this morning and he was so good, no crying at all, I was so relieved!
Then we went to Leeds Castle for a lovely afternoon tea on a shady terrace overlooking the castle.
ea9add3ba0defcf301b61e02231b6149.jpgf183225e0208899d492d5bd45d2325a2.jpg

Of course he behaved and we are pleased to hear you did not play him up :classic_wink::classic_biggrin:

Good to hear you had a lovely day.:classic_smile:

• Like 2

We called at Hotel Inn on the Lake at Glenridding on Ullswater for lunch.

We then drove up to Gretna Green Scotland.

We called at the outlet shopping first which only reopened yesterday then we popped into Gretna Green to see the famous Old Blacksmiths shop where thousands of young eloping couples have been married for over 2 hundred years and the traditional Scottish clothing shop.

It was very quiet as it only reopened yesterday but is usually buzzing with many coach tours stopping here.

It is off northbound Junction 45 of the M6 motorway about 95 miles south of Glasgow.

IMG-20200731-WA0002.jpg

IMG_20200731_135706.jpg

IMG_20200731_115456.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, winman14 said:

That must feel like a big step to take. Hopefully your employer will be understanding 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Graham, not just youngsters.  My husband and I married there in 1992 🙂  It was super.

That was lovely,it is a very romantic place.

I bet you have it on your touring list for September.

When we last visited before lockdown there were a couple of couples getting married there.

38 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We called at the outlet shopping first which only reopened yesterday then we popped into Gretna Green to see the famous Old Blacksmiths shop where thousands of young eloping couples have been married for over 2 hundred years and the traditional Scottish clothing shop.

It was very quiet as it only reopened yesterday but is usually buzzing with many coach tours stopping here.

It is off northbound Junction 45 of the M6 motorway about 95 miles south of Glasgow.

IMG-20200731-WA0002.jpg

IMG_20200731_135706.jpg

IMG_20200731_115456.jpg

Lovely photos.My husband and I honeymooned at Glenridding 40 years ago! We visited Gretna Green last year as part of a coach tour to the Inner Hebrides.You were lucky with the weather

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I feel for you.  Hope it goes well, in a good safe environment. 

I'm also shielded but it's much more controllable when you've retired.

If things go the wrong way I imagine the new policy starting tomorrow for the shielded will have to be reversed.

Thank you Harry, I hope you are doing well too. 

20 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

That must feel like a big step to take. Hopefully your employer will be understanding 

It is, but it also feels like the right step, I was working until the end of March right at the beginning of the pandemic when there was a high amount of daily cases so strangely going back now will largely be 'safer' with more understanding of how to put measures in place... or at least that is how I am viewing it! But I have to get back into a work setting soon, if the R rate goes up anymore though I feel in no doubt that the shielding will be re-started. 

• Like 1

Just now, ann141 said:

Lovely photos.My husband and I honeymooned at Glenridding 40 years ago! We visited Gretna Green last year as part of a coach tour to the Inner Hebrides.You were lucky with the weather

That must have been wonderful,it is so lovely at Glenridding.

We always like to drive over Kirkstone pass from Windermere where the scenery is breathtaking.

We called here last Friday too.

The weather was lovely today.

We have stayed at the Inn on the Lake before and had many meals here when visiting the Lakes.

Ullswater is one of our favourite lakes after Windermere.

Graham.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I noticed that comment too.

it says to me that this is the best it’s going to get for quite a while, which is an unsettling thought.

Probably because too many people are not using  common sense and wisdom  ..... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

He was of course linking it to the current level of infections, so if we can reduce them  then we can open up more activities. So it's not necessarily total doom and gloom

Indeed.  I think we all need to realise that CV19 cannot be eradicated  at present. All we can do is control it, and take into account that for the vast majority of the population, CV19 is not lethal.

There needs to be a balance between controlling the spread of the virus,  and destroying the economy. 

Being blunt, the reasonably healthy,  middle class,  middle aged white person has nothing to worry about. However there are many that do not fall into that category,  hence the need for geographic lockdowns.

But I do think  that Boris has instilled a fear culture into society, which is patently unnecessary. Too many people have developed an unnecessary sense of paranoia,  which is unjustified. 

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

IMG-20200731-WA0002.jpg

IMG_20200731_135706.jpg

IMG_20200731_115456.jpg

Graham

The out let centre has been open for a while. Popped in when passing about 10 days ago and virtually every shop open. Car park nearly full.

Edited by gadabout60
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, gadabout60 said:

Graham

The out let centre has been open for a while. Popped in when passing about 10 days ago and virtually every shop open. Car park nearly full.

Thanks.

We had to walk down to the bottom end next to Pizza express to enter and the lady at the entrance said they only reopened on Thursday.

We were contemplating calling the previous Friday when we left Bowness and were relieved when we didn't when the lady told us they had just reopened.

Graham.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

But I do think  that Boris has instilled a fear culture into society, which is patently unnecessary. Too many people have developed an unnecessary sense of paranoia,  which is unjustified. 

I don't think the fear factor is enough Wowzz. 

Blatant disregard for any measures right from the start by many people shows they are not scared or don't understand. 

Although certain demographics are obviously more at risk, tell that to my 50 year old, previously healthy friend who followed every guideline and still caught it, very nearly died and his life will never be the same. 

Many have similar stories to tell. 

We all need to do all we can to protect our own. 

I don't want me or my family to be another exception to your theory. 

Andy 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks.

We had to walk down to the bottom end next to Pizza express to enter and the lady at the entrance said they only reopened on Thursday.

We were contemplating calling the previous Friday when we left Bowness and were relieved when we didn't when the lady told us they had just reopened.

Graham.

That’s a shame they are giving you the wrong info. We were there on the Wednesday and they were open at least the week before as well as I was on their website for info.

They have made it one way entering at Next - I’m not sure that’s necessary.

like everyone else we were stopped going in By a security person and reminded of the mask policy and keeping 2 meters.

Sadly didn’t make it into Marks as there was a very long queue 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gadabout60 said:

That’s a shame they are giving you the wrong info. We were there on the Wednesday and they were open at least the week before as well as I was on their website for info.

They have made it one way entering at Next - I’m not sure that’s necessary.

like everyone else we were stopped going in By a security person and reminded of the mask policy and keeping 2 meters.

Sadly didn’t make it into Marks as there was a very long queue 

We usually park at the top end and Pauline goes into M&S first when we visit Gretna.

At Dalton Park Retail outlet near us it is marked out so everyone keeps to the left and you can enter and exit all entrances/exits.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Indeed.  I think we all need to realise that CV19 cannot be eradicated  at present. All we can do is control it, and take into account that for the vast majority of the population, CV19 is not lethal.

There needs to be a balance between controlling the spread of the virus,  and destroying the economy. 

Being blunt, the reasonably healthy,  middle class,  middle aged white person has nothing to worry about. However there are many that do not fall into that category,  hence the need for geographic lockdowns .

I was reading our local paper this morning with a Q&A about what can and cannot be done now we are in a new lockdown situation. TBH it ought to be fairly simple for people to calculate the risks associated with all activities. Staying at home and seeing no one should be perfectly safe, going out to dine in a busy restaurant and being closer than 3 ft to strangers for long periods, is likely to be fairly high on the risk factor, whereas having one family group round for a BBQ, eating outside and making sure all surfaces are kept clean should be significantly safer, and you can calculate most situations and their risk yourself.

But the media seem intent on hyping everything, like "Can I visit a lockdown area with my incontinent dog to attend a wedding and then stay in a local hotel and have a holiday", OK I exaggerate but the assumption by the press that the population has an IQ somewhere south of 50 is IMO deeply offensive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I was reading our local paper this morning with a Q&A about what can and cannot be done now we are in a new lockdown situation. TBH it ought to be fairly simple for people to calculate the risks associated with all activities. Staying at home and seeing no one should be perfectly safe, going out to dine in a busy restaurant and being closer than 3 ft to strangers for long periods, is likely to be fairly high on the risk factor, whereas having one family group round for a BBQ, eating outside and making sure all surfaces are kept clean should be significantly safer, and you can calculate most situations and their risk yourself.

But the media seem intent on hyping everything, like "Can I visit a lockdown area with my incontinent dog to attend a wedding and then stay in a local hotel and have a holiday", OK I exaggerate but the assumption by the press that the population has an IQ somewhere south of 50 is IMO deeply offensive.

Then why did so many break every guideline, despite the media scare mongering. 

People either don't understand or just don't care. 

Andy 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I'm off to buy some Hovis (can't think why though?).

Edited just now by DamianG

Because it's luurvaly 😋. No hills to climb though I hope? 😉

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1