P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, Bazrat said:

The Alaskan cruises mostly start in Canada or at least the ones we we’re looking at so just wandering how would that work out.

We fly to Vancouver and spend 2 nights there before joining Celebrity Eclipse for a 7 night Alaska cruise. After that we do a 11 day tour of the Canadian Rockies. What could possibly go wrong?. Hang on though, we had all that lot booked for this June. We spent several weeks in Surrey instead.😄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zap99 said:

We fly to Vancouver and spend 2 nights there before joining Celebrity Eclipse for a 7 night Alaska cruise. After that we do a 11 day tour of the Canadian Rockies. What could possibly go wrong?. Hang on though, we had all that lot booked for this June. We spent several weeks in Surrey instead.😄

It should be wonderful and I hope it happens for you.  We did a similar trip in reverse last year - flew into Calgary, toured the Rockies and then made our way to Vancouver for 2 nights before our 10 night cruise on Eclipse.  It was a great holiday and one of many last year I am pleased to say - my husband's mantra for the last few years if I have come up with a holiday I fancied has been 'Get it booked, we never know when things may change.'  Oh how true that turned out to be in more ways than one!

I'm sure that June in Surrey was glorious too 😉

• Like 1

I’ve been reading a lot about caravans/lodges and we’re now known as the people who have swapped one ‘C’ for another ‘C’ - Cruise ship for Caravan!

We rented the following for the first weekend we could travel to Wales in July in order to visit my elderly parents and so we didn’t put them at risk by staying with them. This was £120 per night

F1C89C97-E108-4E8C-AEB2-330A5D7AC063.jpeg

F1191A28-C94E-4E34-8082-139FE2BB4098.jpeg

6AAC1DA2-3630-4764-BD43-C0D6B94A12B0.jpeg

Then our recent trip to Northumberland we rented this lodge for £100 per night. 

A32D5D88-DB3D-48C8-B817-3FC26163E4D8.jpeg

F2E2147E-C69A-48B0-A1D1-D5B84BB849B4.jpeg

B26231EA-32BE-49D2-95C0-AB79F1DA4E98.jpeg

99A18CF9-FADD-4712-8F18-79B734CA2B5A.jpeg

For our next visit to Wales (18th Sept) is another large lodge at £116 per night. 

Edited by peteukmcr
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

I’ve been reading a lot about caravans/lodges and we’re now known as the people who have swapped one ‘C’ for another ‘C’ - Cruise ship for Caravan!

They are lovely caravan/lodges.  Do you use one company in particular?  We own a (very nice) touring caravan but I have never been a fan and I am always happy when other family members use it; I think I did 5 nights in it last year!  I am fussy about beds though, and a 4'6" one would not do and that's what I remember from my one night in one of those mobile homes many years ago.  How were the beds?  If they were good, I could be tempted.

We took a trip into town yesterday, Frank's first since lockdown. We had our passports renewed at Max Spielmann's and then had a stroll around the outdoor market. It made a nice change to go out and buy my fresh fruit and veg like I used to. Frank enjoyed getting out and about again and said it made him feel much better. He didn't want to go for a coffee so I didn't push. Baby steps. Maybe we can go next time🤞

Avril

• Like 7

4 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

It should be wonderful and I hope it happens for you.  We did a similar trip in reverse last year - flew into Calgary, toured the Rockies and then made our way to Vancouver for 2 nights before our 10 night cruise on Eclipse.  It was a great holiday and one of many last year I am pleased to say - my husband's mantra for the last few years if I have come up with a holiday I fancied has been 'Get it booked, we never know when things may change.'  Oh how true that turned out to be in more ways than one!

I'm sure that June in Surrey was glorious too 😉

In 2018 we did Calgary/Rockies tour/Rocky mountaineer/Vancouver/Alaska. That was our once in a lifetime tour. Hence trying to do similar this year, now perhaps next. Surrey was nice, but fewer Bears and Eagles.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, zap99 said:

In 2018 we did Calgary/Rockies tour/Rocky mountaineer/Vancouver/Alaska. That was our once in a lifetime tour. Hence trying to do similar this year, now perhaps next. Surrey was nice, but fewer Bears and Eagles.😁

This gave me a good chuckle because our last year's trip was not our first time of doing our 'once in a lifetime' trip to Canada and Alaska either! We also did an inland Alaska tour with Princess the first time, which was excellent.  Good to have memories to rely on until we can plan with any certainty again 😊.  The bears and eagles can wait 🤞

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

We rented the following for the first weekend we could travel to Wales in July in order to visit my elderly parents and so we didn’t put them at risk by staying with them. This was £120 per night

Then our recent trip to Northumberland we rented this lodge for £100 per night. 

For our next visit to Wales (18th Sept) is another large lodge at £116 per night. 

Pete do you mind me asking whereabouts in Northumberland your lodge was. We've got some time off coming up soon and we're looking for somewhere to go for a few days.

We've been looking at Northumberland, Abersoch, and the Lakes.

We owned a touring caravans for over thirty years the only way I could compare the experience between cruising and caravanning is when the wind picks up and the caravan starts to sway, as for the buffet we looked everywhere on the static we hired but there was none plus we had to make our own beds up 🙁.

Edited by Bazrat
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

They are lovely caravan/lodges.  Do you use one company in particular?  We own a (very nice) touring caravan but I have never been a fan and I am always happy when other family members use it; I think I did 5 nights in it last year!  I am fussy about beds though, and a 4'6" one would not do and that's what I remember from my one night in one of those mobile homes many years ago.  How were the beds?  If they were good, I could be tempted.

The first had 3 bedrooms with a double in the master bedroom (which had an ensuite) and 2 twin bedded rooms. The lodge had a king in the master (again with ensuite with full bath) and 1 other bedroom with full size twin beds and basically en-suite as it had a door into the main shower room. Our upcoming also has a king bed in the master with en-suite shower room and 2 further twin bedded rooms with another main shower room. I used a couple of websites to book independently, easy to find using google. 

Edited by peteukmcr
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Pete do you mind me asking whereabouts in Northumberland your lodge was. We've got some time off coming up soon and we're looking for somewhere to go for a few days.

We've been looking at Northumberland, Abersoch, and the Lakes.

We stayed at Haggerston Castle which is a fantastic Haven park. We privately rented the lodge which was in what is known a the ‘Golf Retreat’ but there are numerous great locations with lodges around a massive lake too. It’s very easy to find on the A1, I’d say around 6 miles south of Berwick-upon-Tweed and so convenient for touring the area for places such as Holy Island and Lindisfarne, Bamburgh and Alnwick. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

We stayed at Haggerston Castle which is a fantastic Haven park. We privately rented the lodge which was in what is known a the ‘Golf Retreat’ but there are numerous great locations with lodges around a massive lake too. It’s very easy to find on the A1, I’d say around 6 miles south of Berwick-upon-Tweed and so convenient for touring the area for places such as Holy Island and Lindisfarne, Bamburgh and Alnwick. 

Probably the best known caravan park in Northumberland and a great location to tour the area.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 10:59 PM, Adawn47 said:

I certainly wouldn't consider anything in America. I would have thought cruises in Europe will be up and running long before America will be safe to visit again.  How's Bodie? Still doing well I hope.

Avril

Evening

bodie is doing good. The tablets seem to be working for now and he has definitely got a spring in his step. Not sure how long it may last, I never even thought before of a time without him. 

I won’t be going to america or abroad at all really until holidays are worth it but I’ll be ready to pounce when it does. Just can’t have half an experience think I’d rather just a caravan at brid than have to wear masks on holiday. 

kids are doing good at school. There seems to be bugs going around already which in any normal school year you would expect but now it’s more of a panic of if they are all going to get sent home again. 

Glad to hear frank went into town. 

• Like 4

On 9/6/2020 at 11:46 PM, wowzz said:

Vamps - we used to love our Febuaries in Sarasota, but there's no way we'll be booking a villa there anytime soon. Put your holiday money into Premium Bonds until things settle down.

we were going to go to Sarasota when we went to stay at Anna Maria. Will definitely do it whenever we get chance to go back. See more of Florida than just Mickey Mouse. I’ve saved some of the holiday money. Rest has gone on patio and all the other little things we have wanted to do but put on a back burner for more important things (to me hubby disagrees) my holidays. 
actually got lots of house stuff done that we wouldn’t have before so it’s been ok in that sense. 

might have to brave Ikea tomorrow but definitely not Meadowhall

4 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

we were going to go to Sarasota when we went to stay at Anna Maria. Will definitely do it whenever we get chance to go back. See more of Florida than just Mickey Mouse. I’ve saved some of the holiday money. Rest has gone on patio and all the other little things we have wanted to do but put on a back burner for more important things (to me hubby disagrees) my holidays. 
actually got lots of house stuff done that we wouldn’t have before so it’s been ok in that sense. 

might have to brave Ikea tomorrow but definitely not Meadowhall

Hello Vamps. Good to hear from you again. 

We love Sarasota - proper town (with an opera house in the winter),  Ringling Museum, and some great beaches.  The boat tour around the bay looking at the expensive houses is great. Plus St Armands Circle for shopping.

Enjoy (!) IKEA - but unless you really need something, the queues to check out were pretty long, when we visited.  However, now the schools are back, it might not be too bad.

On 9/7/2020 at 8:08 AM, mrsgoggins said:

I have a Florida cruise booked (not P&O) - for January 2022!  It was booked last autumn on board with only a small deposit and is movable.  By then, I would love to think we can do what we have been doing for many years now, and that is spending January in Florida, dividing our time between Disney's Boardwalk, Vero Beach and Old Key West resorts (all DVC; we've been members for 24 years so this is relatively cheap accommodation for us) in addition to a cruise, preferably out of Fort Lauderdale but sometimes Miami.  We often don't bother with the parks, even though we have some non-expiry tickets, but enjoy the resorts.  I tell you this because I know that you are keen to get back and I hope that you are able to plan for your family trips again before too long 🤞  

I’ve never been to boardwalk. I tried to go last year but they wouldn’t let me park, it was only after saying when I got back that I should have got the bus over from Disney springs 🙄

you’d have thought I would have been since I’ve been Disney 7times. 
yes I absolutely am keen to get back, doesn’t help when the kids don’t stop talking about their holidays it’s usually the chocolate on the pillows they mention but Georgia on the way to school this morning was saying she missed the boat ride, with the water that we all went on and mum got wet and screamed. I thought she might mean frozen ride but I didn’t scream on that one until I realised it was team boat springs, for some reason I ended up backward going down and got wet everytime it hit a corner, I’m yelling and the kids think it’s hilarious 😂 

I didn’t think they would remember as much of their holidays as they do. 

I went 11 years not being bothered much about going abroad or back to Disney an as soon as these want to go it’s now all I wanna do to. 

god help my hubby when I finally go on holiday I’m gonna buy everything just in case it’s the only one before another pandemic hits

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, wowzz said:

Hello Vamps. Good to hear from you again. 

We love Sarasota - proper town (with an opera house in the winter),  Ringling Museum, and some great beaches.  The boat tour around the bay looking at the expensive houses is great. Plus St Armands Circle for shopping.

Enjoy (!) IKEA - but unless you really need something, the queues to check out were pretty long, when we visited.  However, now the schools are back, it might not be too bad.

that’s what I’m hoping that more people will have gone back to work and not be in ikea. Want some plant pots and I also might buy fake plants and cheat cos I can’t keep them alive but I’m going to try B&m first to hopefully avoid Ikea. 

when I can finally get back I’ll have to remember to ask you for a good list of things to do in Sarasota. 

18 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Just can’t have half an experience think I’d rather just a caravan at brid than have to wear masks on holiday. 

Which is why we are off to Seaton for a week in a caravan.

Can't really be bothered planning a holiday knowing that it may not go ahead, and if it does, we'll have to wear masks.

I've bought a pressure washer instead!

And off to Cleethorpes tomorrow. Hoping to drag Lady W to the world's smallest pub!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

fake plants and cheat cos I can’t keep them alive

We've got them on our various window sills, but they are slowly turning from green to white, due to the sun!

At least you don't have to water them!

House sitters turned up at 3 pm, Tesco;s delivery arrived at 4.30, got all sorted and arrived at our second home at 7.30.

The smell of the sea air is wonderful.

Niece and boyfriend are house sitting both work from home,so gives them freedom as well.

After 175 days, having a large, sorry, very large glass of wine, on the balcony looking over the sea and looking up at the stars is, unbelievable humbling at this time. Glass is empty, time for a refill!

• Like 11

43 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

House sitters turned up at 3 pm, Tesco;s delivery arrived at 4.30, got all sorted and arrived at our second home at 7.30.

Niece and boyfriend are house sitting both work from home,so gives them freedom as well.

After 175 days, having a large, sorry, very large glass of wine, on the balcony looking over the sea and looking up at the stars is, unbelievable humbling at this time. Glass is empty, time for a refill!

Enjoy! 🙂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

have a lovely relaxing time.

Good Morning , Talking to my daughter last night asking how the Grandkids are going on at school 

and they are loving it but she went on to say another local school has had to shut due to covid.

This morning I put the TV on only to find out as from Monday ..No more than six people gatherings .

Does anyone know of a cruise ship that carries 6 people ? :classic_unsure:

I think Wowzz's signal box pub could prove to be a wise place to visit .:classic_wink:

Have a good day everyone .:classic_smile:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kalos said:

Good Morning , Talking to my daughter last night asking how the Grandkids are going on at school 

and they are loving it but she went on to say another local school has had to shut due to covid.

This morning I put the TV on only to find out as from Monday ..No more than six people gatherings .

Does anyone know of a cruise ship that carries 6 people ? :classic_unsure:

I think Wowzz's signal box pub could prove to be a wise place to visit .:classic_wink:

Have a good day everyone .:classic_smile:

I checked the 6 people limit and apparently it means no more than 6 in a group not socially distanced. So 6 of you can sit around a table in a pub but not 7. What happens when you have 60 people in groups of 6 I don't know. Confusing eh!

• Like 2