P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

26 minutes ago, purplesea said:

No I haven't got the Christmassy feeling. I am struggling to get motivated. We haven't got any decorations up yet, although we did decide yesterday to get the tree up - only we can't find it!! Thought it was in the loft but it's not so the only other place it can be is the garage, but as we have the contents of my daughter's house in there I don't know if we will be successful finding it.

Am I the only one struggling?

No you are not!
I’m not putting the tree up this year. However I have got a wreath on the door and have a few special decorations up along with some small battery operated tea lights inside a Georg Jenson house I got in Tivoli Gardens a few years ago. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Probably like most of the females on here, I've got the "what the h**l have I forgotten to put on the supermarket order" feeling right now.🥴

My mother has a delivery slot for the 21st, my daughter has one on the 22nd and mine is the 23rd. I am expecting to get calls saying "can you add ... to your order, please?" or as I live nearest to a supermarket "can you run down to Asda and get ..."! 

• Like 3

We have put the decs up as we normally do  a week ago about 2 weeks before Christmas. This year though other people also seem to be also falling into the put decs up early because it's been a difficult year or not in the mood / can't be bothered camp.

Since the kids have grown up and 3 out of 4 of our parents have passed away Christmases haven't been the same recently anyway for us but are still enjoyed in an relaxed, controlled way. The days of frenetic excited kids opening presents piled up in the lounge on Christmas morning have long gone.

10 minutes ago, purplesea said:

My mother has a delivery slot for the 21st, my daughter has one on the 22nd and mine is the 23rd. I am expecting to get calls saying "can you add ... to your order, please?" or as I live nearest to a supermarket "can you run down to Asda and get ..."! 

Well done for getting the 23rd - I failed dismally on that one and sat in the queue for about 2 hours, before managing to bag a delivery on the 22nd. 

50 minutes ago, purplesea said:

No I haven't got the Christmassy feeling. I am struggling to get motivated. We haven't got any decorations up yet, although we did decide yesterday to get the tree up - only we can't find it!! Thought it was in the loft but it's not so the only other place it can be is the garage, but as we have the contents of my daughter's house in there I don't know if we will be successful finding it.

Am I the only one struggling?

No, you aren't. We put the tree and decs up earlier than usual this year and have been playing christmas songs hoping to instil some christmas feeling, but it hasn't worked. I was late sending out the cards, and the presents are still on top of the wardrobe instead of wrapped and under the tree as usual. It's very hard this year to get myself motivated, but I know come christmas day it will all be done🤞 All that aside, I'm only thankful we are still able to celebrate christmas with our family and friends, even from a distance. Some this year aren't so lucky. We have to count our blessings wherever we find them.

Avril

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Probably like most of the females on here, I've got the "what the h**l have I forgotten to put on the supermarket order" feeling right now.🥴

Anne C like you though we have the feeling that we have missed things off the order, which sometimes is the case! But hopefully not for the critical last pre-Christmas order.

We moved to Sainsburys delivery pass 2 months ago with 2 deliveries a week, not just because of covid but the thought of potentially queuing in the inclement winter weather to get in. We find it a different way of shopping as we have to think about what we want, like we did previously with a shopping list, but the browsing up and down the isles and seeing offers and other items that we suddenly fancy is more difficult to do online, we tend to plan daily meal ingredients more carefully for some reason. 

We've got a delivery slot next Wednesday AM and a M&S food store priority entry slot so hopefully have all bases covered for next week.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Well done for getting the 23rd - I failed dismally on that one and sat in the queue for about 2 hours, before managing to bag a delivery on the 22nd. 

I'm lucky enough to have had a delivery pass with Asda for about 4 years now so I have been able to reserve a slot for 23rd and pre-order the turkey etc for delivery on that day. I only hope I get the sprouts I order this time. Last year they substituted them for 4 bags of parsnips, to add to the 2 bags of parsnips I'd already ordered😏

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's very hard this year to get myself motivated, but I know come Christmas day it will all be done🤞 All that aside, I'm only thankful we are still able to celebrate Christmas with our family and friends, even from a distance. Some this year aren't so lucky. We have to count our blessings wherever we find them.

Avril

Too true Avril and I do feel for you when you say "Some this year aren't so lucky."

You yourself have had some losses this year and the first Christmas without them around

is always the worst I think .

Today is the anniversary of Mrs Kalos losing her mum several years ago and as a way of

remembrance we will light a candle for her tonight .

Christmas can be a hard time for her as when she was in her late teens her dad also passed

away on Christmas day itself , which must have been the ultimate nightmare for her and her family .

Over the years I think that is why we have always booked a festive holiday or cruise.

Little chance of that with the covid and my health at the moment but I will say this ..

Avril your singing off the same hymn sheet as us as you say ..Some this year aren't so lucky.

We have to count our blessings wherever we find them. Bless you :classic_smile:

PS just read your post above and I didn't realise you were such a big fan of parsnips :classic_unsure::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

My reply was tougue-in-cheek too kalos. I've often referred to an unruly group of people as a 'shower'. Mum and dad used the word a lot so I don't know if it's more of a southern expression😉

Avril

It must be northern Avril, describing any organisation or group as a 'right shower' is a well known derogatory term.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm lucky enough to have had a delivery pass with Asda for about 4 years now so I have been able to reserve a slot for 23rd and pre-order the turkey etc for delivery on that day. I only hope I get the sprouts I order this time. Last year they substituted them for 4 bags of parsnips, to add to the 2 bags of parsnips I'd already ordered😏

Avril

That rang a bell Avril, did you post about that last year?

16 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Well here in Stoke on Trent school has closed today. It was a lovely, lovely day and I am so relieved that all children, staff and parents have made it to Christmas. That'll do for my Christmas pressie from Santa.

School is on call to the 23rd to see if any cases appear so fingers and toes crossed that all will be well. 🙂

Enjoy your very well deserved break and fingers crossed that you don't get called. My son's school is closing at 12pm today and it was clearly evident on the school run this morning that many parents decided not to send the kids in for half a day.

• Like 2

We put our Christmas tree up two weeks ago as  we thought the lights would be cheery.  

we don’t have children or grandchildren, so Christmas has just been the two of us for many years, and we are fine with that, so there’ll be no real change this year.

We normally completely relax over the Christmas period, but  I’m not sure it’ll be possible this year, what with everything that is going on.

in order to get into the Christmas mood, we normally have a couple of pre Christmas outings. We were due to go on a coach trip to see some Christmas lights at a large garden, but this has been cancelled as we can’t travel out of tier 3.

• Like 3

Just to make you all jealous, we've been doing our shopping bit by bit over the past 3 weeks, thinking that if we had to self isolate for any reason we would be stuck getting our Christmas stuff in. So, we now have most things and are just waiting to get the fresh stuff and then we re all sorted. 

Having said that, haven't done any card writing yet so that is today's joy ..... am not a keen card writer ....

Miserable weather here again - but the cats are enjoying us being home ... they get the comfy seats all day 😉

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Miserable weather here again - but the cats are enjoying us being home ... they get the comfy seats all day 😉

A Comfy Seat Is Better Than A Christmas Tree ! :classic_unsure:

129297064_1871740696311147_7274993419073242201_o.thumb.jpg.b324634a3f9e413d51b85ab13c57dcf4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

48 minutes ago, kalos said:

PS just read your post above and I didn't realise you were such a big fan of parsnips :classic_unsure::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

I love roasted parsnips kalos, but not that much. I mean, come on!! Who needs 3,000g of parsnips? 

I'm not expecting a serious reply😁

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That rang a bell Avril, did you post about that last year?

No, not guilty John. I didn't join the forum until 1st Feb. It must have been some other poor soul who put and order in with Asda for sprouts😁

Avril

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I love roasted parsnips kalos, but not that much. I mean, come on!! Who needs 3,000g of parsnips? 

I'm not expecting a serious reply😁

Avril

A woman went into Asda to buy some sprouts but could not find any .

She asked the Happy Helper "Where are the sprouts kept"

"We haven't got any ,sorry we're sold out until next week"

"Oh" says the woman "I will check later" and true to her word she did

every five minutes for the next hour !

The Happy Helper asked the lady can you spell the word sprouts just to make sure 

we are talking about the same product , which she did .

"Ah" says the Happy Helper you seem to have missed the letter "F"  OUT !

But there is no "F" in sprouts ..said the Woman .

"Correct" said the Happy Helper :classic_smile:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2