P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

16 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

It says cabin is not yet allocated on mine. Guessing it’s cos we only booked 10am yesterday but I have so much to do in only three weeks 😂 my head is like mush. Glad I only have one to buy clothes for. Have to go up loft for suitcases, hopefully bribe hubby to do it. 

thinkings on 11 days I’m going to have to do washing too. Anyone got any tips on laundry? 

I believe that if you have booked a saver fare, you may possibly not be informed of your cabin number until a few days before you sail. 

As for laundry tips, stick an armful of washing into the machine, press the button and do something more interesting until it is finished. Then put it in the drier, press the button, go and do something more interesting and come back when it is finished. Job done. 😇

Edited by pete14
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

It says cabin is not yet allocated on mine. Guessing it’s cos we only booked 10am yesterday but I have so much to do in only three weeks 😂 my head is like mush. Glad I only have one to buy clothes for. Have to go up loft for suitcases, hopefully bribe hubby to do it. 

thinkings on 11 days I’m going to have to do washing too. Anyone got any tips on laundry? 

Longest cruise I’ve done so far has been12 nights and I didn’t do any laundry onboard! However there’s four of you. I can’t bear packing! 

35 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

my head is like mush and my cruise is only 3 nights 😆
However I’ve got my elderly parents move to consider and work have made me go on a course the last afternoon I’m at work! Not happy, I normally finish at 1 was then going to pack - I’m finishing at 4pm now 😢

Plus yesterday I ‘popped’ into work to collect a laptop we’re all getting - in my own time. I was excited however it’s a nightmare as it’s a much smaller screen than I’m used to. Poor John spent half his afternoon putting it together for me - I’ve still got a keyboard mouse and other monitor - at the moment I’ve got the laptop on books 🙄 Madness.

Off to pick up grandson soon and forget all the above for a while!

• Like 3

A bit cooler today, although still sunny, temp around 10C.

The entertainment a the breakfast table this morning was 2 blackbirds having a fight in the air and in the ground for the second day running, territorial dispute no doubt.

Switched on my PC this morning and got a message that hard drive was predicted to fail, so have been backing everything up, no on last bit, 13,000 photos, no doubt there are duplicates amongst them, but will back if for now rather than risk spending time identifying them.

Been online searching for a replacement which will be a laptop, rather than desktop, giving me additional flexibility. I was planning to replace, but that has been accelerated this morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

The entertainment a the breakfast table this morning was 2 blackbirds having a fight in the air and in the ground for the second day running, territorial dispute no doubt.

Switched on my PC this morning and got a message that hard drive was predicted to fail, so have been backing everything up, no on last bit, 13,000 photos, no doubt there are duplicates amongst them, but will back if for now rather than risk spending time identifying them.

Been online searching for a replacement which will be a laptop, rather than desktop, giving me additional flexibility. I was planning to replace, but that has been accelerated this morning.

Bad news there. Glad you did at least get a warning. Got caught out without a warning a few years back, and my backups are now bordering on obsessive!

Never really got on with laptops as a replacement for the desktop, so we use a combination of all-in-one desktops and iPads, plus an old emergency laptop in case everything else fails.  

Put in my place once at a Probate Office, where the charming lady in Exeter corrected my ‘If I die’ to ‘When you die’.  She was right, of course, and it’s exactly the same with hard drives.

Afternoon all. Finally back home and touch everything wood I am only a little breathless now, I can even do the stairs.  Cried like a baby when reunited with the low riders and so relieved to see Holt and my own home.

Hope everyone else is well.. 

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Are you certain this was a genuine message, I get loads of similar messages, which I assume will lead me to a site wanting me to pay for extra storage, or a new all powerful cleaning tool that will make my laptop lighting fast.

Just now, Vampiress88 said:

are blue suits acceptable? 
when it says black tie do we really mean just proper dresses up. 
cos we are looking at suits now and he likes blue 

Absolutely. A few years ago in the P&O magazine they dressed a couple for formal night. He was wearing a blue suit. I used to wear mine with either a baby blue or baby pink shirt and appropriate tie. Surprisingly a baby pink shirt looks great with a blue suit.

Nowadays I just dress smart casual and avoid the formal venues.

Anyone remember jacket required nights? Hilarious, the one on Arcadia looked like a tramps convention 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Booked for October 2024 this morning. Canaries on Ventura (N426). Nowhere I haven’t been before but an aft suite for 3 adults works out at around £100 pppn on Select fare (with £290 OBC thrown in). Hard to beat and hard to resist.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Booked for October 2024 this morning. Canaries on Ventura (N426). Nowhere I haven’t been before but an aft suite for 3 adults works out at around £100 pppn (with £290 OBC thrown in). Hard to beat and hard to resist.

We looked at that cruise, mainly because the price is so good. But now that we tend to spend more time in the cabin, we would not be happy with those tiny 20" TVs on Ventura.

Edited by terrierjohn

22 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I'm sure that will be fine, but if we ever meet you on a cruise how will we recognise your family if you're not all wearing black.🤔

17 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

This is what it says, and dark suits plus tie are absolutely fine. He’ll not feel remotely out of place, unless perhaps its turquoise blue, and even then he’d be very unlikely to hit any resistance.  I left my business suit in the car on one occasion (I absolutely refuse to wear DJs away from business) and only had a dark plum jacket and the same colour needlecord trousers packed. No problems at all on formal nights, including the Epicurean, and fellow diners just found it amusing - though I did of course apologise out of politeness.

Evening wear - Black tie

Our Gala Evenings, or Black Tie nights, offer a chance to get dressed to the nines in glamorous evening wear. Don your favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown or dinner jacket, or alternatively a dark business suit and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform.

23 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Booked for October 2024 this morning. Canaries on Ventura (N426). Nowhere I haven’t been before but an aft suite for 3 adults works out at around £100 pppn on Select fare (with £290 OBC thrown in). Hard to beat and hard to resist.

Envious!  Exactly where we choose - always. Best place on the ship. Those Canaries cruises are very relaxing too, whatever time of year, and just a great way to spend a few days.

• Like 3

On 3/28/2022 at 10:20 AM, indiana123 said:

Just heard that the new cruise line we are on  in under  5 weeks have pushed back a short Hamburg cruise to end of April and have cancelled two.  This is due, apparently, to lack of supplies.

I think we are the first 'longish' cruise..although only 11 nights.  Oh well, I would have preferred it all to be tried and tested beforehand but never mind. 

Hopefully it will all be sorted and go ahead but I am preparing myself for it being cancelled  which is a minor thing in the scheme of things today but of course major in our small word.

I must have put the mockers on it when I ordered new pyjamas, jumpers, tee shirts and drawers!!!😝

Our forthcoming cruise on Saturday was supposed to have a overnight in Hamburg but that has been replaced with an extra day in Rotterdam and an add-on of Le Havre. We are really stuck for ideas what to do ashore with our 11 year old son for the latter.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Our forthcoming cruise on Saturday was supposed to have a overnight in Hamburg but that has been replaced with an extra day in Rotterdam and an add-on of Le Havre. We are really stuck for ideas what to do ashore with our 11 year old son for the latter.

Not much to do in Le Havre.

There are usually long queues for the local shuttles which go to the centre then the shopping outlet so we usually get  a taxi to the shopping outlet which is only about 5 minutes away. 

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

As long as he has a jacket,tie, trousers and dress shoes he will be all right.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I'm sure that will be fine, but if we ever meet you on a cruise how will we recognise your family if you're not all wearing black.🤔

Wouldn’t recommend meeting us. The kids are frightening. 
I’ll still be in black as usual. 
be thankful I’m not still goth 😂 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Envious!  Exactly where we choose - always. Best place on the ship. Those Canaries cruises are very relaxing too, whatever time of year, and just a great way to spend a few days.

Come along and be our neighbour on C deck.

• Like 1

Decorating started today, so the home straight is on the horizon as far as the post-leak reparations go. He got the lounge walls emulsioned today and put the first coat on the skirting and architrave. The work should be completed by next Tuesday and I get my furniture back next Wednesday.

• Like 3