P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, kalos said:

There was something on TV about Christmas lights and apparently the ones that twinkle

or flash on on and off can save you money  .

Must be all those bits unlit saving money ,who would have thought it 😕

I'm as enthused as Avril this year but will probably wrap a bit of tinsel around our solar 

powered welcome light ,it's the taking part though really .

This time of year reminds me of some factory manager teams I used to meet ,they also 

reminded me of Christmas lights.

They clung together, half of them didn't work and the other half were not that bright either.😉

I suppose a timely reminder about your pets and Christmas lights is in order !

Last year my mate Barry was shocked to find his dog had ate a full string of tree lights.

I rushed him and his dog to our local vets who was pleased as he managed to remove them 

from the dog .The dog was de-lighted as well 😂

Have a good day :classic_love:

Please don’t give my dog Freddie ideas……🤣🤣

I must admit I shall put the Christmas wreath on the front door and possibly put the small tree up, but apart from that I also feel I cannot be bothered ……(bit like the last few years really - altho  I do usually relent).

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Back from the hospital and the good news is that it’s not cancerous and nothing needs to be done, the bad news is it’s something that I can’t pronounce (seborrhoeic keratosis) but apparently most people have at least one in later life.

I've got one of them just inside my hairline.I got worried about it when in Italy a few years ago.I sent a photo to an expat friend of ours whose daughter is a consultant dermotologist with the NHS.She diagnosed it for me,no worries.How about that for service,lol.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Gorgeous  photos, Purdey,   I hope you had a lovely  relaxing time.

I sort of had a relaxing time , we didn’t do very much my husband was helping brother in law out working scrapping paint of floor tiles ; didn’t go anywhere but the trip was mainly to see dad before Xmas , I did get bitten by a spider which made me a little I’ll , because of the purple blisters it left and the chills I got it sounded like it was the brown recluse spider, had some antibiotics to take but still have to keep a eye on it has it can turn into a ulcer 🥴

• Like 1

We decided to brave M&S this morning, we managed to get the last few presents that we needed so we now only have fresh food items to buy for Christmas so I am looking for a calm run up to Christmas with just 2 evenings out planned with friends and a sisters lunch next week.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Back from the hospital and the good news is that it’s not cancerous and nothing needs to be done, the bad news is it’s something that I can’t pronounce (seborrhoeic keratosis) but apparently most people have at least one in later life.

That is good news. As I said in a previous post,I haven't been so lucky, but it's not malignant melanoma, so I'm thankful for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Our decorations are still up in the loft as I too have got no enthusiasm for Christmas.  As normal we will be gong over to Mum's, but she like me feels the same. I have bought a few presents but am really stumped for ideas for most of the family.

Christmas seems to have become more stressful as I've got older. Even 5 years ago I didn't feel like this. I think the past 3 years may have taken it's toll on some of us.

I have all the presents bought and the christmas food ordered, so I'm prepared, I only need to try and find my christmas spirit, and not that which comes from a bottle.😉

My get-up-and-go just got-up-and-went and wish it would come back again soon.😁

Sorry to be so gloomy🙂

Must try better.🥾

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 17

24 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Our decorations are still up in the loft as I too have got no enthusiasm for Christmas.  As normal we will be gong over to Mum's, but she like me feels the same. I have bought a few presents but am really stumped for ideas for most of the family.

We will put ours up in the lounge. No point putting them up in the loft. Nobody will see them.🤔

• Haha 18

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I wonder just how many LED lights there are being used, I know that ours were quite old and certainly pre dated the introduction of LED ones,  when we last put them up. I suspect many people still have quite old ones, which are probably far less economical.

All ours are LED, we replaced the old non LED about 5 years ago, they are plugged into a Smart Switch which controls the time they are on for, if necessary we can switch them on and off remotely via my phone.

Our 2 sets of outside lights are battery driven, so little cost other than for recharging. 

6 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I put our Christmas lights up outside yesterday, quite modest compared to some with a few led sets weaved through our trees and shrubs. Our neighbours hang icicle types around the eaves of their house, I’m not good confident with heights on ladders so I don’t do that! I read a which? report that had done a study to show that a average led set only uses 50p of electric if used 6 hours a day for a month.

I’ve got a hospital appointment this morning for a potential basal cell cancer on my forehead. I had only recently noticed it which is why I went to the gp but my wife showed me a photo from over 2 years ago and it shows it then and if anything is smaller and paler now. So hopefully all is ok and it may not be a BCC.

Good luck at the hospital today.

Just read your later post and pleased to hear it is not cancerous.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been sunny here today for a change but very cold - 4⁰. I have put up my small tree this year but almost no other decorations. Just feel a bit pushed for time at the moment rather than not having any enthusiasm. I'll also be buying a wreath for the front door soon too.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

We had a zoom meeting and agreed that when folk from that London come down to Surrey we will all turn our lights off and close the curtains. We decided to leave on the lights on the A3 .Don't want to cause any harm, just wind them up a bit. Seems the plan is working....Happy Christmas.🥳

We obviously weren't invited to that meeting... can understand why.... wife's family only moved to Shere in the late 1660's... so we're newbees really...give us few centuries more and we might even be invited to join the county dart's team or be allowed to enter a Victoria sponge in the Ockley & Caple show!  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We obviously weren't invited to that meeting... can understand why.... wife's family only moved to Shere in the late 1660's... so we're newbees really...give us few centuries more and we might even be invited to join the county dart's team or be allowed to enter a Victoria sponge in the Ockley & Caple show!  :classic_biggrin:

We are newbies as well. Moved from Putney to Woking in the 1980's.

• Like 1

Good morning, I hope you and your homes are all warm.  I just went outside to try to put an empty wine bottle in the recycling bin before it is emptied this morning but I have had to bring it back in because the lid is frozen shut.  I will wait until it has been emptied because the bin men never seen to have a problem. 

The frost is so heavy that at first I thought that we had had a bit of snow fall overnight.  Definitely a day to avoid going out today.

Take care if you need to go out.

• Like 6

We have a lovely sunny day but the temperature has only reached 1° so I have decided to stay inside.

I thought that staying in I would make a start on wrapping some of the Christmas presents but I can't get very enthusiastic about it at the moment so the bed in the spare bed room is now a dump, fortunately we aren't expecting any overnight visitors.

• Like 5

A bright, cold and frosty morning here, -1c at the moment, cars and shed rooves still covered in frost. Brr, I'm staying in the warm 🥶

Finally made a start on the decorations. Tree up, Christmas Village in place, wreath across the mantlepiece and one along the bannister. So far so good, still some more to do but  I've made a start and....... all together now.......

🎵 It's Begining to Look a Lot LIke Christmas🎵😊

Like Josy, presents to wrap and plenty more to be done, but at least I've got myself moving (a little).

Have a good day everyone, keep warm and if you're out and about, wrap up well and watch your step.

Avril

• Like 7

A cold but sunny morning, overnight temperature dropped to -3C. Currently it’s 0C with a light North Westerly Breeze, put some washing out on line to dry in sunshine, hopefully. 

Dehumidifier came late Monday, tried it out for first time yesterday, in a little over 3 hours had removed just over 400ml of water from air, we had laundry on an airer nearby. 

Went out for a late lunch yesterday as my wife had an offer of a free 2 course meal off Beefeater Festive Menu. Restaurant was quiet at 3pm, only 3 other table occupied, my wife had the Turkey dinner, whilst I had festive burger, no photos as not worth taking.

The turkey slices are clearly not cut from a turkey on the premises, seem like those splices you can buy in any supermarket, she had 2 sprouts, a slice of parsnip and 2 broccoli florets, plus 2 roast potatoes. My so called festive burger, had 2 slices of turkey, a sausage split in half, a slice of streaky bacon (more fat than bacon), a thin layer of mayo, was meant to be garlic mayo, but appears garlic was very much absent and cranberry sauce (a very thin layer) all this is a dry brioche bun with a pig in blanket on top and 3 roast potatoes and a small jug of gravy. I didn’t enjoy it all, and I am sure that the sausage wasn’t cooked fully. Waiter told us at end of meal that we had had the last of the Turkey as none was delivered Tuesday and not sure any will come Wednesday either, appears there is a shortage of turkey. 2 weeks ago it was custard that was not available. 

This morning broadband engineer turned up to resolve our broadband drop out issue we have been suffering from for a few weeks, the remote fixes etc hadn’t worked so engineer was sent out, he has changed a number of connections both here and in green box around the corner, hopefully this will resolve issues. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

A bright, cold and frosty morning here, -1c at the moment, cars and shed rooves still covered in frost. Brr, I'm staying in the warm 🥶

Finally made a start on the decorations. Tree up, Christmas Village in place, wreath across the mantlepiece and one along the bannister. So far so good, still some more to do but  I've made a start and....... all together now.......

🎵 It's Begining to Look a Lot LIke Christmas🎵😊

Like Josy, presents to wrap and plenty more to be done, but at least I've got myself moving (a little).

Have a good day everyone, keep warm and if you're out and about, wrap up well and watch your step.

Avril

You've done a lot more than me.  My family tell me that I am like the Grinch because I never put the tree and inside decorations up until 23rd and I take them down on 28th.  I always feel as though they attract dust and the house feels cluttered.  I am a minimalist at heart, I am constantly following DH around putting things away that he has put down, it drives him mad because if he is doing something and walks away for a few minutes I will have tidied his stuff away.

• Like 2