P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I use the calculator to check my figures, and I'm always right, of course😊

Avril

I'm a bit of a Luddite. I use the calculator, but still can't trust it and have to check...

.. just in case

You can imagine what my kids say!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Very few have, I imagine, though in this family it’s become a bit of a joke. I found, and still find, it invaluable in tracking personal finances, and persuaded both children to use it too as an excellent budgetary aid. Our son still uses it but our daughter gave it up after a few months. Mine goes back to 1998 when finances were tight after daughter went to university. It became essential to help avoid overdrafts, and the habit stuck.  Son and I both dread the inevitable day when it will cease to run after a Windows update.

It’s a fancy front end to what’s essentially a complex spreadsheet containing every bank account and financial asset or liability you choose to put into it. Works extremely well, and very versatile in its interrogation capabilities. Quite a few online aficionados, who all freak and fret on every major Windows update!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Money

Stopped using it some years ago, developed my own spreadsheets to manage budgets and spend. 

i don’t like using software that has gone beyond its end of life date, never known what security bugs that maybe there to be exploited. 

Edited by Snow Hill

18 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Stopped using it some years ago, developed my own spreadsheets to manage budgets and spend. 

i don’t like using software that has gone beyond its end of life date, never known what security bugs that maybe there to be exploited. 

There's something in that. It had crossed my mind too!

10 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I use the calculator to check my figures, and I'm always right, of course😊

Avril

I'm the same as you sis.sheet of paper,ins on one side outs on the other.We sort out communal expenses in Italy,6 houses 200 euro each per annum.number of grass cuts x 35 euro,garden and car park light bill bimonthly x 6 and any incidentals like light bulbs etc.Job done.Nigel, one of our neighbours suggested a spreadsheet,so we let him go ahead.There were numbers all over the place as clear as mud and when I worked it out he was miles out with the figures,lol.Bro.

• Like 1

It is a little warmer this morning, just 0° but we have a patchy light covering of snow.

I  put up the Christmas tree and decs last night, too soon in my opinion but OH threatened to do it because we have visitors with children descending on us today.  I don't like it up this early because I  feel like I can't clean properly because the house feels cluttered.  No plans for visitors after boxing day so it can come down as soon as they leave.

20221217_083316.thumb.jpg.e9faa109177fd5f6f8812b9f6ccec443.jpg

• Like 4

My son rang first thing this morning saying not to go out as he had just slipped over as the ground is just  a sheet of ice.  About half hour later we received another phone call with the same warning from one of the members of the food bank advising OH not to go over to help as it is dangerous underfoot.

Stay  safe all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

There's something in that. It had crossed my mind too!

I have seen too many Desktop PCs/Laptops compromised over the years working in IT, usually via flaws in the Operating System, browser, but also via software which connects to the web. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2

We were going out for an evening with friends last night about 10 miles away. I went outside at 6.30pm to start the car and nearly slipped on the drive. Our road was frozen over and I decided it wasn't worth the risk. I don't like letting people down at the last minute but sometimes you just know.

Another cold morning but there is rain in the air, can't believe it isn't snow !

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm  still using the old fashioned method of account book and pen, although I have stepped into the modern world now and use a calculator.

Avril

An abacus maybe ? You can really count on them :classic_unsure:

• Haha 7

50 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I have seen too many Desktop PCs/Laptops compromised over the years working in IT, usually via flaws in the Operating System, browser, but also via software which connects to the web. 

You’re just the man, then!  I’ve always assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that since MM doesn’t have web access enabled it’s safe to use unsupported versions, particularly with a virus checker and Malwarebytes running in the background.

Is it still at risk?

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Same here Bob our street and paths are like glass and white over , -1.c,

You made the right call ,the papers say they are trying to clear the hospital beds ,

so we all have to ask ourselves ,do we need to go out ?

Better to take care than chances  as we can all guess what the A&E dept's are going to

be like today .

Take care everyone👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BrianI said:

I have been using it for around 20 years and still using it. It is an excellent program for keeping track of accounts and investments.

If anyone knows of an up to date program that does everything that Money does I would like to know.

Brian

I'm still using Quicken. I love it and would be lost without it. No idea why these programmes aren't still available.

46 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Half the beads are missing on mine.I thought I was quids in.

I went to a meeting just before I retired. They were doing a presentation on the monthly budgets with all their clever clog spreadsheets. I could see an error in one of the rows ( as a wind up I got a slide rule out of my case ) the figure in that cell is wrong , I had done the sum in my head. They didn't know what a sliderule was, so it got them a bit frightened. Lots of fun that was.🤣

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I went to a meeting just before I retired. They were doing a presentation on the monthly budgets with all their clever clog spreadsheets. I could see an error in one of the rows ( as a wind up I got a slide rule out of my case ) the figure in that cell is wrong , I had done the sum in my head. They didn't know what a sliderule was, so it got them a bit frightened. Lots of fun that was.🤣

If you asked me 10 years ago to get a spreadsheet you'd find me in GoOutdoors Lakeside asking everyone.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

I'm the same as you sis.sheet of paper,ins on one side outs on the other.We sort out communal expenses in Italy,6 houses 200 euro each per annum.number of grass cuts x 35 euro,garden and car park light bill bimonthly x 6 and any incidentals like light bulbs etc.Job done.Nigel, one of our neighbours suggested a spreadsheet,so we let him go ahead.There were numbers all over the place as clear as mud and when I worked it out he was miles out with the figures,lol.Bro.

WOW!!! I'm glad I don't have to do your accounts bro😲

Mine is much simpler. A list of monthly incomings with dates and one of outgoings with dates, (thankfully smaller than the incomings.)😉 An account book with columns headed :- Date, Details, Debit, Credit, Acc Total, Saving, Disp(money left for everyday expenditures) 

It may seem inefficient to some, but it's served me well for along time and suits my non- mathatical brain. Whatever works for each person and keeps the finances under control is good👍

Sis

• Like 3

A balmy 2c here and all of the white frost has gone in the past hour. Heating is coping better today, during our coldest day on Thursday (-10 to -1c) the boiler was on virtually all day and used £18 of gas!!

We have the MIL round today for lunch today (pork cooked in cider and apple with mash and cabbage), normally she comes round for Sunday lunch but there is a risk of snow tomorrow morning so we are avoiding travelling out.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 1

The roads and pavements here are a sheet of ice. My husband took our dog out with out me, I was intending to go but didn't even get to the end of the drive!  Of course there hasn't been a gritting lorry in sight.

Tried to book a taxi for him as he's meant to meet friends at an indian restaurant for lunch (Christmas "do") and they're not taking any bookings before 1 pm shall have to look up buses that will be a shock for him😂 I use the bus and complain constantly😂 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

WOW!!! I'm glad I don't have to do your accounts bro😲

Mine is much simpler. A list of monthly incomings with dates and one of outgoings with dates, (thankfully smaller than the incomings.)😉 An account book with columns headed :- Date, Details, Debit, Credit, Acc Total, Saving, Disp(money left for everyday expenditures) 

It may seem inefficient to some, but it's served me well for along time and suits my non- mathatical brain. Whatever works for each person and keeps the finances under control is good👍

Sis

Ours is basically the same sis.We put dates and I print off and keep all bills and reciepts for all the other owners.My mrs keeps bills for even 1 euro for a sprinkler head.Even though everyone trusts us she's old school.Bro.

• Like 1