P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

You’re just the man, then!  I’ve always assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that since MM doesn’t have web access enabled it’s safe to use unsupported versions, particularly with a virus checker and Malwarebytes running in the background.

Is it still at risk?

Given the very small numbers of users of Microsoft Money then the risk is very low. The important bit is to have up to date internet security software, not using the same password across multiple websites, (use a password manager app if you can’t remember passwords easily), don’t use out of date browsers, (Internet Explorer support ended in June of this year) and if anyone still using Windows XP, then you will be more at risk as security updates ceased in 2014. 

A good site to check if your password and/or email has been compromised following a data breach is

https://haveibeenpwned.com 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

We’ve had difficulty getting around for the last week or so, even in the 4x4, but we can’t go anywhere today. We have a steep track which is now like an ice rink. It’s raining which is making everything worse. Everything is frozen solid. 

Same here. Seen people skidding about on foot and in cars.

The snow melted and now it’s pure ice.  More snow forecast for tomorrow which will lie on the ice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

WOW!!! I'm glad I don't have to do your accounts bro😲

Mine is much simpler. A list of monthly incomings with dates and one of outgoings with dates, (thankfully smaller than the incomings.)😉 An account book with columns headed :- Date, Details, Debit, Credit, Acc Total, Saving, Disp(money left for everyday expenditures) 

It may seem inefficient to some, but it's served me well for along time and suits my non- mathatical brain. Whatever works for each person and keeps the finances under control is good👍

Sis

We are more stuffistikated down south. We use ministatements and cheque book stubs. At least DW does, I just spend cash from my pocket money.........Do you need another tenner this week, or are you OK?.🤔

Edited by zap99
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We are more stuffistikated down south. We use ministatements and cheque book stubs. At least DW does, I just spend cash from my pocket money.........Do you need another tenner this week, or are you OK?.🤔

Tenners all round, Zap? How very kind of you. I’ve sent my bank details, as requested. Odd - it’s the fifth request today…….

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Bit random this one, but just curious to know whether there any other saddos like me still using Microsoft Money? Been using it since 1998, through numerous versions of Windows from 95 to 10, and it’s been faultless as a financial record. Anyone remember it? Or still using it? 

Yes still using it. I started back in 1995 when Microsoft gave away a free copy on the free disks one of the computer magazines to promote Windows 95.

Now I am running the free ‘sunset’ edition they gave away before closing it down. It still works well with Windows 11.

19 hours ago, BrianI said:

If anyone knows of an up to date program that does everything that Money does I would like to know.

There are several online applications that use the Open Banking protocol, but they are  nowhere near as good.

Moneydance is the closest PC software to Microsoft Money, but it is American so not perfectly compatible with the UK.

3 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

No idea why these programmes aren't still available.

Because they didn’t make any money selling them!

They had to do regional versions to cope with differences for the various localities they were sold (e.g. ISAs for the UK) and also with the constant changes to rules and regulations, and the tiny number of people buying, then it wasn’t worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

Yes still using it. I started back in 1995 when Microsoft gave away a free copy on the free disks one of the computer magazines to promote Windows 95.

Now I am running the free ‘sunset’ edition they gave away before closing it down. It still works well with Windows 11.

There are several online applications that use the Open Banking protocol, but they are  nowhere near as good.

Moneydance is the closest PC software to Microsoft Money, but it is American so not perfectly compatible with the UK.

Because they didn’t make any money selling them!

They had to do regional versions to cope with differences for the various localities they were sold (e.g. ISAs for the UK) and also with the constant changes to rules and regulations, and the tiny number of people buying, then it wasn’t worth it.

Actually Quicken still exists in the US, but it's a monthly fee version which I hate. One reason I won't upgrade to MS365.   https://www.quicken.com/

23 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

You will have a fabulous time!!

Mamma Mia The Party  in the Greek Taverna at Thee 02... Well what can I say.  Three generations of us and all said "best night ever".  I think Peanut006 will agree it's a bit of a hard one to explain.  Like being with a couple of hundred happy family members.

We arrived, me on my scooter, we were immediately taken round the back door and in the venue in 3 minutes  Table was a premium we are sure although medium priced one booked.   Well, we laughed, sang and  danced (well I stood holding on and wobbled about) for nearly 4 hours between meal courses,.   There were professional singers, dancers aerial acrobats, flame bursts, everything. We danced and sang with security, waiters,   strangers and the actors.  By 10 pm I don't think there was anybody sitting down.  I was singing to Abba and kind of dancing  with my grandson, and have promised not to tell his friends and the same with my macho son in law!

It was fabulous, expensive, but worth every damned penny.  

• Like 13

Next door Neighbours have had about 3m take off the top of their very tall Leylandii trees, we now get the winter sun for longer in garden and house as we face due south and the hedge was on there border with their neighbour on the other side. It has taken a while to get this done, as his other neighbour was being awkward try to claim hedge was his, however documents from land registry proved otherwise. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Next door Neighbours have had about 3m take off the top of their very tall Leylandii trees, we now get the winter sun for longer in garden and house as we face due south and the hedge was on there border with their neighbour on the other side. It has taken a while to get this done, as his other neighbour was being awkward try to claim hedge was his, however documents from land registry proved otherwise. 

That’s a minefield, ownership of hedges and where boundaries lie! You were lucky there were documents establishing it - frequently extremely difficult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Mamma Mia The Party  in the Greek Taverna at Thee 02... Well what can I say.  Three generations of us and all said "best night ever".  I think Peanut006 will agree it's a bit of a hard one to explain.  Like being with a couple of hundred happy family members.

We arrived, me on my scooter, we were immediately taken round the back door and in the venue in 3 minutes  Table was a premium we are sure although medium priced one booked.   Well, we laughed, sang and  danced (well I stood holding on and wobbled about) for nearly 4 hours between meal courses,.   There were professional singers, dancers aerial acrobats, flame bursts, everything. We danced and sang with security, waiters,   strangers and the actors.  By 10 pm I don't think there was anybody sitting down.  I was singing to Abba and kind of dancing  with my grandson, and have promised not to tell his friends and the same with my macho son in law!

It was fabulous, expensive, but worth every damned penny.  

Glad you had a great time. I think it’s the best night out ever, I know it’s expensive but totally worth it. It’s hard to explain how good and different it is to anyone.

If you haven’t been just book it!! You won’t regret it

Michelle

49 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

It’s hard to explain how good and different it is to anyone.

Exactly,  so different.  My lot all said they thought it would be good but it exceeded all their expectations.

Its a real event for special occasions ie anniversaries, big birthdays etc.

• Like 1

Got back yesterday from a 5-night cruise aboard Ambassador Ambience to Hamburg and Amsterdam. The experience was a bit 'Curate's Egg', with both positive and negative aspects. Negatives were service issues in the bars & lounges and ongoing problems with the aircon system on board. Positives were generally good food and excellent entertainment. Also, for me, great ship size (think Aurora).

I still rate P&O (based on Aurora or Arcadia) above Ambassador but would definitely book with them again if the aircon and service issues are resolved.

Hamburg was absolutely fantastic both in terms of the city and the Christmas Markets. Amsterdam was fine as usual but not a Christmas Markets destination I'm afraid.

Not a warm welcome back to Tilbury with the car covered in snow and ice....

Still have a full covering of snow here but a slight melt this afternoon.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, for Strictly fans - Fleur was robbed !

Far and away the best dancer - that's the problem when you let the public decide ! ( Harry - I know what you are thinking!)

My wife voted for Hamza, I was instructed to do the same, I wasn’t watching show. 

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Far and away the best dancer - that's the problem when you let the public decide ! ( Harry - I know what you are thinking!)

The public never warmed to Fleur. And I know it’s a dancing competition, but like in all walks (or dances) of life you have to “like” the person who gets your vote!

I admit my votes were given to Hamza and Helen.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I've never watched Strictly in my entire life, Wowzz.  Just don't see the appeal.  But the public can change its mind, and indeed very much seems to have done.

• Like 1

Although Hamza was not the best dancer in one dance last night, I would think most people voting would have chosen him as the best throughout  the series, which I did think he was.  My personal 'favourite' was Helen, but I admit that is because  I much preferred  her personality to the other two women. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

The public never warmed to Fleur. And I know it’s a dancing competition, but like in all walks (or dances) of life you have to “like” the person who gets your vote!

I admit my votes were given to Hamza and Helen.

I agree that Fleur did not apeal to the public because whenever Tess or Claudia spoke to her throughout the series she seemed to be over confident, DH who said that she was the same when she was on a Britain's Got Talent where she came second.  These sort of shows are really a personality contest.

My and DH's votes were 3 to Hamza and 3 to Helen.

I don't think that it is necessary to give every one 6 votes, surely 1 vote per viewer is sufficient.

• Like 5

Last time I watched anything like that it was called " Come Dancing " live from somewhere 

like Blackpool tower ,shown on telly.

They would have teams such as the "Bolton bruises" vs the "Donny doubtful" all exciting 

stuff as they came out with numbers pinned to their backs performing things like the 

Military Two Step or the Gay Gordons . Couldn't tell you who won as my parents would send

me to bed before the end .Too much excitement for a young thing like me back then .:classic_rolleyes:

Anyone had a look at Christmas day TV ?  

What a load of baubles ITV  CH3  have lined up, great if you want cookery programs between 

trying to cook your own Christmas lunch .Never mind at least CH4 are giving us Home Alone 2

to watch , that's if your still conscious from all that food and booze .

Talking of food and booze ..To all you panic buyers out there, no worries only 7 days to go 😆

Be safe and have a good day :classic_love:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5