P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

59 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Had to take the car to garage, engine management light came on a week after it had its mot and service. Warrenty company refusing to pay for its diagnostics test even though when I called them they said they would cover. Instead got to come out of my own pocket and try to claim back. Hoping its nothing major and just needs a rese but warrenty said they will pay if a problem has popped up. 

We had that happen if your talking about the bright yellow spanner , which is very worrying

at first glance . As we were away on holiday I phoned my garage as the car had just had a 

full service weeks ago.  The car still ran perfect .

I was told they had possibly forgot to reset the service light mileage and bring it in when I

get back home from our break.

He said if the lights bothering us to go on You Tube as their is films of how to reset it.

So I did, it was a case of twiddling the the trip meter buttons as instructed and it was reset .

When we got home I had the car checked and that's all it was ,they had failed to do a reset .

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kalos said:

Two sides to every story ,which reminds me ,where's  @Harry Peterson 

he would put you right 😉🤣

Hope your keeping ok if your reading this Harry 🙂

Harry was still posting a couple of weeks ago, so he may be on holiday now.🤞

Still no sign of @wowzz though, not since May. 😟

Avril

• Like 12

2 hours ago, kalos said:

We had that happen if your talking about the bright yellow spanner , which is very worrying

at first glance . As we were away on holiday I phoned my garage as the car had just had a 

full service weeks ago.  The car still ran perfect .

I was told they had possibly forgot to reset the service light mileage and bring it in when I

get back home from our break.

He said if the lights bothering us to go on You Tube as their is films of how to reset it.

So I did, it was a case of twiddling the the trip meter buttons as instructed and it was reset .

When we got home I had the car checked and that's all it was ,they had failed to do a reset .

Exactly that. It disappeared after 2 minutes and never appeared again. Car carried on running smoothly. When the engine light came on it still ran smoothly like nothing had happened. Garage called and said a fuel injector is leaking and coolant pipe is leaking so they are back talking to warranty company. The guy dealing with me said you will not be paying it its nearly £800 which includes parts, labour and what ever else. We have to deal with these companies before and they are a nightmare.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I wouldn't want the guards removing as someone who's a solo female and often catches the train from London that arrives at 1.30am.  One and a half hours on a train that empties more or less at Basingstoke and leaves you with an hour with a handful of often inebriated people isn't exactly comforting if there's no guard.  In fact the last but one train terminates at Yeovil and often the guard gathers lone passengers in one carriage near the rear so he's nearby.

We can't go driver only anyway because of the stations and trains used, but I definitely prefer someone on the train not a help machine miles away as used on the C2C line where I used to live.

I understand where you are coming from.  Years back my friend and I used to travel up to London on the sleeper out of Penzance for exhibitions and shows, but stopped doing so when we became uncomfortable with some of the passengers that were getting on as the journey progressed.

• Like 1

In a battle with Auto Care they agreed for the fuel injector to be replaced but not the coolant hose they don't class it as a component. My form says as its not been damaged by corrosion or frost then it should be covered. The garage are fighting with them since they just do not want to pay out. If not I will have to pay and try to claim back in form of using the ombudsman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlanthony24 said:

In a battle with Auto Care they agreed for the fuel injector to be replaced but not the coolant hose they don't class it as a component. My form says as its not been damaged by corrosion or frost then it should be covered. The garage are fighting with them since they just do not want to pay out. If not I will have to pay and try to claim back in form of using the ombudsman.

Worth reading the small print to see if hoses are classed as consumables, and if so whether consumables are covered. 

Morning a bit dull and murky 13.c around here .

I hope you people got to where you were going or managed to get tickets for your trains .

Last night I watched a train journey TV program and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. Then a again it was an old steam train from a bygone era ,when you could actually sit down and relax.

They seemed very relaxed with all the wine they were knocking back .😉

After that I set off watching a program a bout sharks, but gave up as the presenter was talking rubbish , he said the shark he was filming can grow up to 15 feet😲

Sharks don't grow feet cos they have fins instead 🙃

Have a good day !🙂 

• Haha 18

Good day working in the City (London) yesterday and an unexpected drink after work with colleagues.

The 7:03 train home was an old set with no seat reservations visible but luckily (?) when I got to my seat the kid sat next to me had dumped his bag on it. The train was standing room only and so many passengers were being asked to remove bags from seats.

The kid next to me put his hoody up and duly fell asleep on my shoulder (eventually woke up when the train jolted but never said a word).

Another passenger went to get something out of his bag on the rack above me and some water spilt on me (just a tiny bit so no big deal but still a shock!).

We were delayed just outside Wakefield as the train in front was waiting for police to attend (no more information given) then as passengers were lining the aisle ready to get off an old chap dropped his rucksack on me.

It was quite a journey but at least I got BBC iPlayer working (sort of) and could watch MasterChef. I was home an hour later than expected at 10:35pm and have just had confirmation of a 50% refund on my train ticket.

5pm and the start of the weekend can't come soon enough today!

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Forgot to say on this 1st September morning ..

Welcome home to the folks off Britannia and many thanks to @Mrs applehead  ..

@NMcAllister who kept us informed with updates.

Safe journeys home everyone 🙂

Thank you. All back safe and sound now. Got to have a good look at the damage when getting off. Certainly did a number on the side of the ship. They were already cracking on with repairs. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

Good day working in the City (London) yesterday and an unexpected drink after work with colleagues.

The 7:03 train home was an old set with no seat reservations visible but luckily (?) when I got to my seat the kid sat next to me had dumped his bag on it. The train was standing room only and so many passengers were being asked to remove bags from seats.

The kid next to me put his hoody up and duly fell asleep on my shoulder (eventually woke up when the train jolted but never said a word).

Another passenger went to get something out of his bag on the rack above me and some water spilt on me (just a tiny bit so no big deal but still a shock!).

We were delayed just outside Wakefield as the train in front was waiting for police to attend (no more information given) then as passengers were lining the aisle ready to get off an old chap dropped his rucksack on me.

It was quite a journey but at least I got BBC iPlayer working (sort of) and could watch MasterChef. I was home an hour later than expected at 10:35pm and have just had confirmation of a 50% refund on my train ticket.

5pm and the start of the weekend can't come soon enough today!

I think yesterday was a nightmare on the trains.  Since May we've been cut to one an hour, not even a connection at Southampton as we used to be able to do.  My OH who was in London with me on Wednesday night caught the 12.20 train back to Salisbury and called told me that it was rammed and standing room only so to make sure I got to the station earlier for my train that evening.  I duly arrived at 8.30pm for the 9.20pm, bought a coffee and luckily got a seat on the forecourt.  Come 9.00pm the train from Exeter arrived (they are very distinctive as the only diesel train out of Waterloo) so I moved across towards the gate just in case.  Train cleaning over we were allowed to board 8 cars splitting along the route. Within 5 minutes of my boarding my carriage was full, 10 minutes before departure an announcement of limited seats at the front.  Pulled out on time I counted 16 people standing in my compartment.  Next stop Clapham Junction another 10 people joined and were standing.  I was shocked as for 9 years to travelled this route in and out if London 5 days a week in peak time and never seen the like.

I'd like to think it was a day before strike rush to get home but although not so bad I'd experienced much of the same coming home from York and Newmarket in the past couple of weeks.

Train travel is no longer a pleasant experience in and out of peak times in the UK.  It's very sad as I travel within Europe even between countries and yes a few delays occasionally but never rammed all day, dirty and badly planned.

I feel for you Damian, I couldn't do it for work anymore.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I think yesterday was a nightmare on the trains.  Since May we've been cut to one an hour, not even a connection at Southampton as we used to be able to do.  My OH who was in London with me on Wednesday night caught the 12.20 train back to Salisbury and called told me that it was rammed and standing room only so to make sure I got to the station earlier for my train that evening.  I duly arrived at 8.30pm for the 9.20pm, bought a coffee and luckily got a seat on the forecourt.  Come 9.00pm the train from Exeter arrived (they are very distinctive as the only diesel train out of Waterloo) so I moved across towards the gate just in case.  Train cleaning over we were allowed to board 8 cars splitting along the route. Within 5 minutes of my boarding my carriage was full, 10 minutes before departure an announcement of limited seats at the front.  Pulled out on time I counted 16 people standing in my compartment.  Next stop Clapham Junction another 10 people joined and were standing.  I was shocked as for 9 years to travelled this route in and out if London 5 days a week in peak time and never seen the like.

I'd like to think it was a day before strike rush to get home but although not so bad I'd experienced much of the same coming home from York and Newmarket in the past couple of weeks.

Train travel is no longer a pleasant experience in and out of peak times in the UK.  It's very sad as I travel within Europe even between countries and yes a few delays occasionally but never rammed all day, dirty and badly planned.

Our employer has a flexible working policy of 3 days in the office then the option to work from home the other 2 days. Thursday is also a "glue day" when most staff are expected to make the effort to be in the office (though fortunately I have a separate arrangement for my circumstances). Obviously that's just my employer but it's possible that Thursday is one of the busier days in general for working commuters (plus it is a popular day for a drink after work as I discovered yesterday).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

This is the reason why we decided to use National Express to travel to London in June. Ok, it took 6 hours rather than 4 on the train, but the return ticket only cost £78 for 4 of us! Yes, a total of £78 to which I added £2 each to reserve seats in the first 3 rows. The train would have cost £80 EACH! Lovely air-conditioned coach and we could forget about our luggage. I appreciate that the coach isn’t feasible for   work journeys, but for us, it was great. 

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

This is the reason why we decided to use National Express to travel to London in June. Ok, it took 6 hours rather than 4 on the train, but the return ticket only cost £78 for 4 of us! Yes, a total of £78 to which I added £2 each to reserve seats in the first 3 rows. The train would have cost £80 EACH! Lovely air-conditioned coach and we could forget about our luggage. I appreciate that the coach isn’t feasible for   work journeys, but for us, it was great. 

We last used National Express to travel up to Manchester Airport and it took us 13 hours! It took up 4 hours just to get to Plymouth, but the train would have taken us less than 2. I said never again!

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We use National Express to go to Basingstoke on a regular basis to see family.Only 2 hrs and 29 quid return for 3 of us.When we take our car back to UK in October I think we will carry on using NE.I appreciate longer journeys are a deal breaker.The longest trip so far was Bath on a weekend break,only 3 hrs.

• Like 2

Well I’m all packed up ,4 suitcases and 1 big hold all, housework done , nails and hair done so now chilling down the beach watching the air show , suns out and it’s a bit hot , hopefully the sun will shine everyday for you guys while I’m away . I will still read this thread every night because I’ve got Wi-Fi on the ship , I’m on sky princess so can’t really do a live blog on here for you but will post pictures now and again if people want .

• Like 20

1 minute ago, Purdey16 said:

Well I’m all packed up ,4 suitcases and 1 big hold all, housework done , nails and hair done so now chilling down the beach watching the air show , suns out and it’s a bit hot , hopefully the sun will shine everyday for you guys while I’m away . I will still read this thread every night because I’ve got Wi-Fi on the ship , I’m on sky princess so can’t really do a live blog on here for you but will post pictures now and again if people want .

Have a lovely cruise.

I'm on countdown!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1