P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

17 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Pyreus for Athens today, the weather is great with flat seas. I get why people love Aurora, she is a nice ship, we have booked for 2026 now the new brochures are out. The future cruise desk is open twelve hours a day now with queues most days. 

Super to have met you & @SeaJaneon board. We are thoughly enjoying this cruise. Off to the Acropolis this afternoon - it's going to be very hot! 

Enjoy the rest of the cruise. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Do you have organic,paper,glass and general all on different days like us?Glass is once a fortnight,embarrassed to put that many bottles out in the summer,lol.

We are lucky here only 3 bins, grey bins for general stuff, brown bins for organic and blue bins for glass, plastic and tins, paper has to go in a plastic box. Grey bins are every week, blue bins and paper box are fortnightly and brown bins on the same day as blue bins but only from April to the end of October. 

My friend who lives in Newcastle-under-Lyme complains bitterly about how their recycling works, they have several boxes and bags for their recycling.

• Like 3

I just have a black bin for real rubbish, a grey one for all recycling (paper, bottles, tin, all together!) and the optional paid for green bin for garden rubbish.  We are assured that the recycling does get separated and dealt with properly, but it is a bit hard to believe that.  Makes it easy for the householder though.  Usually just one or two large kitchen binbags in black one, and the grey one is often nearly full.  My children both have a multitude of different recycling things to deal with, like most people.

• Like 1

Here we have a black rubbish bin, a grey one for all recycling and a brown bin for garden/food waste. I have for many years paid for a second garden waste bin due to the size of our garden but from the end of this year there are no ‘free’ first garden bins and the council will charge £56 per bin, so for me x2.

I’m trying to arrange an annual gas boiler service. The engineer that fitted our boiler 16 years ago and has serviced it every year since then has retired. I paid him  £60 per service, I’ve contacted another recommended engineer and he has come back with a quote of £120+vat (£144), so will get more quotes. I know that that my long standing engineer was charging a ‘mates rate’ but the new charge seems a bit steep for a 30 to 45 minutes visit. What have other people been charged for a gas boiler service?

59 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We are lucky here only 3 bins, grey bins for general stuff, brown bins for organic and blue bins for glass, plastic and tins, paper has to go in a plastic box. Grey bins are every week, blue bins and paper box are fortnightly and brown bins on the same day as blue bins but only from April to the end of October. 

My friend who lives in Newcastle-under-Lyme complains bitterly about how their recycling works, they have several boxes and bags for their recycling.

Here in UK it's a black bag for general and orange for recycling,both once a week.Have to take glass to the bins in town.In Italy even with all that organisation we still get fly tipping everywhere.We pay 80 euro a year for collection.

4 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I’m trying to arrange an annual gas boiler service. The engineer that fitted our boiler 16 years ago and has serviced it every year since then has retired. I paid him  £60 per service, I’ve contacted another recommended engineer and he has come back with a quote of £120+vat (£144), so will get more quotes. I know that that my long standing engineer was charging a ‘mates rate’ but the new charge seems a bit steep for a 30 to 45 minutes visit. What have other people been charged for a gas boiler service?

British Gas service plans are not far off that and they guarantee parts and callouts all year.

• Thanks 1

We also have a British Gas service plan for and they are very reasonable and on one occasion when our fire decided to not work on Christmas Eve I called them expecting to be told that we would have to wait until after Christmas but they sent a man out that who put a new ignition switch in.  When my husband said to him that he was surprised that they work on Christmas Eve he said that they do call outs for heating even on Christmas Day.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Ours was £60. Not a mate! Normal price 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

I just have a black bin for real rubbish, a grey one for all recycling (paper, bottles, tin, all together!) and the optional paid for green bin for garden rubbish.  We are assured that the recycling does get separated and dealt with properly, but it is a bit hard to believe that.  Makes it easy for the householder though.  Usually just one or two large kitchen binbags in black one, and the grey one is often nearly full.  My children both have a multitude of different recycling things to deal with, like most people.

We have grey for general household rubbish, blue for paper and cardboard, brown for glass, plastic and  tins, and green for garden rubbish. It was a real faff ar first but now we're used to it it's fine.

Avril

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Here we have a black rubbish bin, a grey one for all recycling and a brown bin for garden/food waste. I have for many years paid for a second garden waste bin due to the size of our garden but from the end of this year there are no ‘free’ first garden bins and the council will charge £56 per bin, so for me x2.

That's a good way to encourage fly-tipping🙄

Avril

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's a good way to encourage fly-tipping🙄

Avril

We have black for household, blue for recycling and green for garden (next year is 65pa).

One week is black bin and the following is garden and recycling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I was sorting out our rubbish for collection this morning and found a small black disc around seven inches in diameter. It had a hole in the middle.

Is this a record?

Was it Lonnie Donegan's 'My Old Man's A Dustman' by any chance?

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We have a red top bin for non recyclables, a purple topped bid for glass & plastic, a blue bag for paper & cardboard, a green bin for garden waste, and a small grey container for food waste. The Purple Bin, Green Bin and Blue bag are collected every fortnight as is the Red topped bin, the food waste is collected every week. We find out Red top bin only has one bag of waste as we recycle as much as we can. If item is too big for bin or not collected at kerbside we just take it to recycling centre  or book a bulk  collection.

We are lucky to have a very efficient system, no additional fees, except for bulk collection’s which if over 65 or disabled are at a reduced cost, with one free collections year. 

Edited by Snow Hill

Good afternoon everyone, hope you are all ok today. It’s a lovely sunny day here today but a bit chilly. Hubby said it was only 6.5 degrees when he left for work this morning about 7am.

I have just been shopping with my mum this morning to Booths and their Christmas food book was out. Guess I will be browsing through this afternoon and deciding what to order.

IMG_9628.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We have a service contract with a local company, covers service, parts and call-outs, cost use £22 a month, but was worth it when our old boiler broke down and spare part cost £230 plus labour. The plan covers the boilers, radiators and gas fire. 

• Thanks 1

I just had a text from my niece's best friend who happens to be a local councillor, my niece may be lying in a hospital bed but that hasn't stopped her from volunteering me help her friend out with her local election leafleting.  Fortunately I know from experience that I can deliver them in about 2 days and 24000 steps.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Our council says that 60%+ other councils already charge and councils aren’t obliged to collect garden waste anyway, apparently!

Luckily our council is one of the remaining 40%. So far that is🤞

Avril

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Luckily our council is one of the remaining 40%. So far that is🤞

Avril

The green waste here is composted and reused on council owned parks, gardens etc.The opposition party did plan to charge for the service, but lost the subsequent elections and the plan was scrapped. 

• Like 2