P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning all,

Bright and sunny down here and although a cool 8c at present expected to rise to 15c. 

Need to post some birthday card to friends I was at school with and a trip out to Penzance to get some shopping, but nothing else planned. Although one of my daughter's and I were discussing, a few weeks ago, about having a BBQ if the bank holiday weekend was nice, but will see!

Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend, whatever you have planned.

• Like 7

Hope all are well. We’re still finding it impossible to log in normally but CC have, as we all once did, left the back door unlocked!

Great evening with Griff Rhys Jones last night… well us and about 500 other folk! Some good fun was had!

Given the log in probs… next post may be by carrier pigeon.

Or in our case…

🦜🦜🦜🦜🦜🦜🦜🦜🦜🦜🦜

Hope all are well and looking forward to the Bank Holiday.

• Like 11

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks Michelle. Yes, I think that's what she's had done, very similar anyway. She was only supposed to be in hospital for one night but her blood pressure was very low after the op so the kept her in. She's in a lot of pain but it's early days. It my niece's hen do tomorrow so mum will miss that, hopefully she'll make it to the wedding next weekend! Did it take you long to recover from the op?

Hi Sarah, apologise for the late reply. I stayed in hospital three nights and I had to prove I could go up and down stairs before they let me home. I wasn’t in any pain after the operation though. After my MRI on 30/12 and diagnosis I had to wait 6 days for my op, I know now I should have been operated on within 24 hours and as a result I have permanent nerve damage, drop foot and no reflex in my left lower leg. But a colleague had the same op and is fine!! I had six weeks off work and physio.

I hope your mum does well 

Michelle

Edited by Peanut006
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks Indiana. Mum's in more pain than she expected. She had it done on the NHS but they sent her to a private hospital in Crowborough to have it done, so not cheap.

I get my eyebrows done at the stall at Hempstead Valley too. I used to have them threaded but it hurt so much I nearly swore at the lady. I find with the waxing it's less pain for less time 😂

I hope your Mum’s pain eases today, Sarah. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Morning all

For the first time this year (I think) I’ve done the early dog walk without a coat.  Light hoodie yes, but no actual coat.  That must indicate progress.  Hurrah!  We seem to have missed out on recent decent weather/nice temperatures, so I really hope this is the start of some decent weather

Sarah - hope your Mum had a decent night and makes good progress today

Graham - your meal looks lovely.  We didn’t go out but we did splash out on some lovely brill from the fishmonger.  Plus the first of the Jersey royals.  Even if I say it myself - doesn’t that look good?  It certainly tasted good

Have a lovely Star Wars Day everyone.  May the Fourth be with you.

BD0C3593-2B6B-4C49-AE4D-7B36A38C0EC5.jpeg.3432c4bcf7b88e2035bb971cfe3049f8.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

A grey morning here but it is supposed to brighten up later so hopefully I  can dry the washing outside this morning and I won't need my waterproofs for bowling this afternoon.

I managed another good night sleep of 6hrs 58mins.

• Like 8

@SarahHben I hope your mum is feeling better today Sarah, and in less pain. Fingers crossed she makes it to the wedding next weekend.

@Peanut006 Cauda Equina is a really nasty condition Michelle. So sorry you were left with problems afterwards. I was given the red flags for CA after my recent fall but fully it didn't happen.

Well I've been bladed and dyed and my eyebrows are looking pretty good even though I say so myself! The only problem I had was lying on the treatment couch as my back is still healing. That was worse than the procedure.

Lovely day down here and promised to be warm and dry until Monday. I hope you all have a lovely weekend. Be well and best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Well at 5am it was raging 9n the way to the airport, but only took 50 mins as no traffic about, the same coming back. I was back home and in bed by 7:30, managed to get about another hours sleep, but woken up by postie ringing doorbell with a small packet that would go through letter box.

Still overcast and damp at 10C due to remain the same much of the day except for a rise in temp to 13C this afternoon. 

Tomorrow looks better with some sunshine and warmer temperatures.

A quiet morning, then on duty at stand for group I volunteer with.

Happy Star Wars Day.

May the fourth be with you.

• Like 8

On 4/9/2024 at 5:18 PM, kruzseeka said:

Perhaps don't despair just yet.  I understand they normally do not cover over 75 year olds but from what we've been told by NW their arrangement with Aviva does, moreover without a additional charge.  So....... it seems that NW has negotiated different criteria.   

It's possible there could be a variation in the Health screening for NW customers too.  It will be interesting to get feedback once the first tranche of Flexplus customers renew policies due after the changeover day. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. 😘

I have just renewed my cover with FlexPlus - renewal date was 30.05.24 so now moved from UK Insurance to Aviva.  Wanted a phone conversation and getting hold of the right dept was a bit problematic (I think they want you to fill in the online forms) but once through it was pretty straightforward. 

Add-on cruise cover is not a fixed price.  I've done a post under 'Missed Port Insurance' with more info for anyone interested but so far happy with the outcome - medical screening much like before and no age extension so made a saving over-all. 

• Like 5

There's a strange unidentified yellow object in the sky up here in Newmarket!  Strange rumblings and exclamations of excitement from the gathered ensemble in the breakfast room mixed with trepidation as to whether this could be an early sighting of the Death Star or a forewarning from the  Emperor of his latest devious plan to bestow us with hail stones and copious amounts of freezing rain.

The going is officially good, the forecast is for a dry and bright morning, turning to a cloudy afternoon with sunny spells with the threat of an isolated light shower. A small miracle - could it just be I might, yes really, not need that heavy duty raincoat this afternoon?

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

There's a strange unidentified yellow object in the sky up here in Newmarket!  Strange rumblings and exclamations of excitement from the gathered ensemble in the breakfast room mixed with trepidation as to whether this could be an early sighting of the Death Star or a forewarning from the  Emperor of his latest devious plan to bestow us with hail stones and copious amounts of freezing rain.

The going is officially good, the forecast is for a dry and bright morning, turning to a cloudy afternoon with sunny spells with the threat of an isolated light shower. A small miracle - could it just be I might, yes really, not need that heavy duty raincoat this afternoon?

Good luck with Dutch Decoy, I have had a tenner on at 6/1 for an interest bet so good luck to me as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11c but dull and grey at the moment. 

We watched the maiden departure of Queen Anne with the fireworks last night on YouTube. Our son, who lives in Southampton, watched them from Mayflower park and being there with the crowds was in his words spectacular.

Our Sunday lunch tomorrow with the MIL is one that we always have at this time of year. Salmon, asparagus, Jersey Royal potatoes with home made watercress sauce, one of our favourites and a real taste of late spring.🌷🌸

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Beckett said:

@SarahHben I hope your mum is feeling better today Sarah, and in less pain. Fingers crossed she makes it to the wedding next weekend.

@Peanut006 Cauda Equina is a really nasty condition Michelle. So sorry you were left with problems afterwards. I was given the red flags for CA after my recent fall but fully it didn't happen.

Well I've been bladed and dyed and my eyebrows are looking pretty good even though I say so myself! The only problem I had was lying on the treatment couch as my back is still healing. That was worse than the procedure.

Lovely day down here and promised to be warm and dry until Monday. I hope you all have a lovely weekend. Be well and best wishes. Jane xx

Ouch.

That sounds painful Jane.

It is so much easier being a man.

If you don't mind a photo would be nice to see after your procedure.😑🤕😵.

I understand if you don't because Pauline stops me posting her picture.

Graham xx

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

After several years of faithful service our cars dash cam went daft 

and wasn't recording .

So went out and bought a new one yesterday , to be fair the guy in the shop 

tried to factory reset the old one but it did want want to know .

No fitting required  as it's a similar model to the old one .

Take it out the box ,clip onto the magnet and your good to go .

Well apart from it all set in Italian mode ,could have done with Brian  to 

decipher for me but I got it into UK mode in the end .

Turned off things like lane change , a car is pulling away from you or a

car is in front of you . Cannot be doing with all them bing -bong sounds .

That's my excitement for today   Hope your all having a good day .

• Like 9

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Ouch.

That sounds painful Jane.

It is so much easier being a man.

If you don't mind a photo would be nice to see after your procedure.😑🤕😵.

I understand if you don't because Pauline stops me posting her picture.

Graham xx

Here we are Graham. I wondered why we didn't see Pauline any more - I bet she's still as glam as ever. Jane

20240504_123828.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Here we are Graham. I wondered why we didn't see Pauline any more - I bet she's still as glam as ever. Jane

20240504_123828.jpg

How great to put a lovely face to a lovely poster!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Very cold and miserable here at the home of racing. Took nearly 6 hours yesterday in torrential rain and today it continued.  Who in their wit and wisdom decided to dig up the M25 near St Albans for two junctions in the run up to a bank holiday and to proudly announce it's until Summer 2025!  All very depressing. 

For the first time in 50 years my packing for this weekend's racing consists of three winter weight woollies, two pair of boots, my Austrian winter hat and a heavy raincoat. Certainly no hope of glamour this year!  On a more positive note the hotel has switched the heating on, Dutch Decoy is declared to run and the new super horse City of Troy has arrived from Ireland.  I just have to not freeze to death or get washed away before the big event!

Good luck today @Megabear2

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Jane - you look lovely.  Your brows are gorgeous.

i have sparse eyebrows but somehow can’t stand myself with pencilled-in etc.  it just doesn’t look right to me. I feel I have a look of permanent surprise

Yes, Pauline is lovely.  I recognised her on Iona - was more confident that it was her than that the gentleman of the couple was Graham

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

20240504_123828.jpg

You look beautiful Jane.

Lovely to see your face so I will recognise you if we ever met on a ship.

This is Pauline and me at Wynyard Hall gardens cafe last Sunday.

I will not tell Pauline I have posted her photo 🤫

IMG_20240428_120828.jpg

IMG_20240428_123342.jpg

• Like 15

29 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Thank you Jane - you look lovely.  Your brows are gorgeous.

i have sparse eyebrows but somehow can’t stand myself with pencilled-in etc.  it just doesn’t look right to me. I feel I have a look of permanent surprise

Yes, Pauline is lovely.  I recognised her on Iona - was more confident that it was her than that the gentleman of the couple was Graham

Thank you.

Pauline is much better looking than me and people recognise her.

She does all of her manicuring herself except for her hair.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

Pauline is much better looking than me and people recognise her.

She does all of her manicuring herself except for her hair.

You are a very good looking couple.
Pauline always looks so elegant….

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

20240504_123828.jpg

Looks good Jane, but think I’ll stick to the barber trimming my eyebrows when I have my haircut (anything to avoid the Dennis Healey look!).

• Haha 2