P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

41 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Perhaps it's this guy who waits for the shop door to open, hops in and helps himself to a bag of crisps before leaving and enjoying them. 30 oddbags todate!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2gzj693pxo.amp

Love it!   I imagine if they moved the crisps up to a high level they would worry about him flying in to get them?  And possibly leaving  a few deposits of his own. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I stayed at JPL too when we had a 7 day land tour from Calgary to Vancouver prior to joining the Sun Princess (@1995) for a cruise up Alaska. Fab hotels (Banff Springs, Lake Louise, JPL, a night on the train and then a night at the Empress). 

That was our retirement present to ourselves. Calgary to Vancouver staying at Fairmont hotels, Rocky mountaineer, Alaska Cruise. Majestic scenery.  No silly tourist stuff for us...oh no.

IMG_4061.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, janny444 said:

Depends whereabouts you are on the A59....if you are near Clitheroe then yes it is the large brooding hill that you see....very famous for the witches....there was a programme on TV a couple of weeks or so ago about the Lancashire witches in the Pendle area.

The Italian restaurant is nearer to where we are....the Monte Cristo....what a fabulous night ....a magician performs on a Thursday night and the price is quite unbelievable. All of my Funsters will be " pestering" me to organise a return visit 

Yes, I was near Clitheroe, I have head of the Pendle Witches but don’t know the story behind it all

Michelle

26 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Yes, I was near Clitheroe, I have head of the Pendle Witches but don’t know the story behind it all

Michelle

I would say it was one of the most famous witch trials which were held mostly at Lancaster...bit before my time though ...in the early 1600s

4 hours ago, DamianG said:

I do!!! Wasn't he a little antagonistic (to put it nicely)?

And then some!! Wowzz had a grand time with him.

I remember that he couldn't keep his story straight from one post to the next, and his theories about the virus, it's origins, cure and preventative measures were astounding.

He was in USA if irc. He was fun.🤣

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Perhaps it's this guy who waits for the shop door to open, hops in and helps himself to a bag of crisps before leaving and enjoying them. 30 oddbags todate!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2gzj693pxo.amp

I have similar problem.

I can't leave the back door open without being nearby. On a couple of occasions I have walked out of the kitchen (in the front of the house) to find it standing on the door frame or inside😠 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kalos said:

Morning ,it looks bright and sunny start to the day for us but nothing planned.

Yesterday had a look around a local shoe warehouse and got a new pair of

trainers and some slip on's. At the counter the lady was very "up sale"

"Do you want me to spray them with a protective coat  that will make them 

last longer?"    No thanks I replied   "Well can I have your e-mail to send you

our offers ?"    No thanks again as I see any offers on their web site .

You seem to get folks pitching their sales I remember once in a shopping centre

a young lady walked up to me with her survey board in her hand and asked me.

'Do you have any pets'? I said 'A goldfish'.

She said 'any hobbies'? I replied 'well he likes swimming!' 🙃😉

Have a great day and take care .🙂

My mother and I were discussing this very topic a few days ago. We both think that there’s an element of desperation around at the moment. If you’re only just browsing a website, but don’t put anything in the basket, emails keep appearing a few hours later. Then if you do put something in the basket but don’t proceed to checkout, you get the annoying email telling you not to forget to checkout. The frequency of marketing emails has also increased, and I’ve been unsubscribing a lot lately. Also discount codes and flash sales. 

• Like 4

Same here, and stuff in the post from companies you have never bought anything from.  Luckily with emails you can usually unsubscribe, and it - usually - works.  It is annoying, but possibly a bit sad, as some of them may be on the point of going out of business, who knows.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

My mother and I were discussing this very topic a few days ago. We both think that there’s an element of desperation around at the moment. If you’re only just browsing a website, but don’t put anything in the basket, emails keep appearing a few hours later. Then if you do put something in the basket but don’t proceed to checkout, you get the annoying email telling you not to forget to checkout. The frequency of marketing emails has also increased, and I’ve been unsubscribing a lot lately. Also discount codes and flash sales. 

Yes there is a lot of it about re the e-mails and I note from other purchases that they 

ask you to fill in a review from goods that they know have not even arrived , they tell

you to allow 5 working days for delivery but expect a review from day one.

In the actual shoe shop, the shop assistant was a trier (God loves them )

Once she realised I wasn't buying this "wonder" long life spray or giving her 

my e-mail, she then set about pointing at polishes etc but I had said bye and was 

half way out the shop..

They are not alone it's everywhere ,going out to our local carvery is like a scene

out of Little Britain.... 

Can I help you...

Yes a medium carvery please

How about a large only £2.59 extra ?

Nope medium is more than enough for us thanks !

Well how about our pigs in blankets and an extra Yorkshire pudding ? Only £1.50

No were more than happy .... 

Well how about a pudding for after ...  No thanks 

Ok put your card in and press the green tick to give to our charity or you can 

press red ,that's if you want to .

• Like 4

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

We stayed at Jasper park lodge. Brilliant, also on our way to Van conversion(stupid computer, I typed Vancouver) to join a Celebrity cruise. Look what turned up outside our room.

WP_20170614_06_17_07_Pro (2).jpg

Much nicer than our bear :classic_smile:

I will have to dig out our photos and scan some.

• Like 4

We went to lunch at our regular Friday restaurant.  One of my sisters was there with her friends, my ladies bowling captain was there with her sisters ( 1 of whom taught my niece in primary school) and her cousin.  DH's school friend and his wife were there.  My niece's friends were there, it felt strange seeing them without Sarah.

It started to feel like spot the person you don't know by the time we left.  DH said that we need to find a different Friday lunch place. 🤣🤣

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Yes there is a lot of it about re the e-mails and I note from other purchases that they 

ask you to fill in a review from goods that they know have not even arrived , they tell

you to allow 5 working days for delivery but expect a review from day one.

In the actual shoe shop, the shop assistant was a trier (God loves them )

Once she realised I wasn't buying this "wonder" long life spray or giving her 

my e-mail, she then set about pointing at polishes etc but I had said bye and was 

half way out the shop..

They are not alone it's everywhere ,going out to our local carvery is like a scene

out of Little Britain.... 

Can I help you...

Yes a medium carvery please

How about a large only £2.59 extra ?

Nope medium is more than enough for us thanks !

Well how about our pigs in blankets and an extra Yorkshire pudding ? Only £1.50

No were more than happy .... 

Well how about a pudding for after ...  No thanks 

Ok put your card in and press the green tick to give to our charity or you can 

press red ,that's if you want to .

In fairness to some of the companies, if they are in a quality assurance scheme with 3rd party accreditation, a requirement of the standard is continuous improvement. The cheap way of measuring that is a customer survey.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 11:38 AM, Adawn47 said:

There's no way I will do it in one day that's for sure, but I'll keep reading through them each day until I get up to date. I'm seeing posters who don't post anymore and keep thinking 'Oh I remember him or her, I wonder how they are now'

Wowzz of course, but also @Manx buoy  @bobupandown and

@mercury7289for instance.

It's an interesting read and seems, I don't know, 'different' somehow when reading it as a number of days all at once instead of a single day at a time, if you understand what I mean. It's like reading the story of a large extended family coping through a crisis, which of course it was.

Happy reading.

Avril

Oh dear Avril, you have got me at it now😁.I have followed this thread from day 1, with the occasional post. I am on page 9, only another 2000 or so to go!!!

Molly

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

In fairness to some of the companies, if they are in a quality assurance scheme with 3rd party accreditation, a requirement of the standard is continuous improvement. The cheap way of measuring that is a customer survey.

You could be right ,,, but our survey said 🙃🤣

Busy watching the Olympics opening, if I had listened to my PE teacher I could have 

been a sports person  ... He said " Forget your shorts once more and you are for the

high jump  and  I saw a man  walking around with a big stick.
So I asked: "Are you a pole vaulter?".
He replied: "No I'm German, but how did you know my name is Walter?"😉

• Haha 11

This morning I said to DH that although I love France and Paris in particular the parade would not go well because the French just love a disruption.  He said that I was being pessimistic even though he lived through hours of moaning when I worked and spent a lot of time working in France, often being delayed or having to change my travel plans to avoid protests and strikes.  He has just conceded that I was right.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

That was our retirement present to ourselves. Calgary to Vancouver staying at Fairmont hotels, Rocky mountaineer, Alaska Cruise. Majestic scenery.  No silly tourist stuff for us...oh no.

IMG_4061.JPG

We did a similar trip, and actually found the Rockies to be far more spectacular than mainland Alaska.  Although the Glaciers and the calving was exceptional.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Watching the opening ceremony, I keep wishing that we had Graham Norton or in the past Terry Wogan doing a Eurovision style description and comment of what is going on. 

The weather is appalling and rather spoiling the spectacle.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The weather is appalling and rather spoiling the spectacle.

Meteo France has issued an Amber Alert with a risk of flooding, not the ideal background for any ceremony regardless of where held.

• Like 2

It has been a long day today, we set off at 07:00 travelled to Lancaster where we had nearly two hours for a spot of lunch and a mooch. We then got the Steam packet ferry for a leisurely four hour mini cruise to the isle of Man. It was very pleasant and we sat out with beer and our books. We arrived at the Rutland hotel just before 19:00 where we were ushered into the restaurant for dinner, which was very good. By the time we got back to the room the luggage was waiting, we showered and changed then went out for a stroll along the front. We are looking forward to our trip tomorrow.

• Like 12