P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is a milder 11°C and cloudy here.

Fortunately Pauline picks,irons and packs all of my clothes and I do the 325 miles drive to Southampton.

I hope everyone is safe and well and you all have a happy weekend.

Morning Graham,thinking of doing your Ventura itinerary  on Oct 26th.Couple of questions,if I get the Captains wine package,can I get it and take it to the bar.I did this on Princess,I had to retrieve my wine at the entrance to the MDR as they didn't serve bottles at the bars.Secondly,our last and only P&O cruise was a worldy segment on Aurora back in 2017.I've just joined the peninsular club and emailed them for our account number from that cruise to add it.Is it advantageous doing this,cheers,Brian.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Had an automatic hybrid for just over 18 months, my left knee no longer aches after a long journey (result of football injury in my late teens). The 70mpg I get on journeys makes my wallet happy. 

I am hoping to move to a full electric car next time, just need to get the power supply to our remote garage sorted or hope there is an improved solar charging solution with batteries in the next few years. 

I wish you luck with getting a power supply sufficient to charge a car to your remote garage. I was all set for getting a full electric car a couple of months ago and the fuss and cost of getting a home charger installed outside our garage which is only 20 metres from the electric meter was prohibitive. Getting home broadband to extend as far as the charger in order to access the cheap tariffs was also an issue as was the refusal of my insurance company (and others) to cover the new electric car I was planning to buy. I bought another self charging hybrid instead.

• Like 1

Is the country honestly going to be ready for all electric cars when it should be?  I find it hard to believe that everyone with a car will be able to charge it as and when needed, whether at home or 'on the road' the way things are at present.  Opinions,  please.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Is the country honestly going to be ready for all electric cars when it should be?  I find it hard to believe that everyone with a car will be able to charge it as and when needed, whether at home or 'on the road' the way things are at present.  Opinions,  please.

I think my post above answers your question. The most important one in my view is whether insurance companies are prepared to insure them and at a reasonable price. Mine certainly were not. To paraphrase their representative on email, ‘we don’t offer insurance on that car and possibly never will’. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

Reminds me of the Billy Connolly joke, although I daren’t repeat it on here, suffice to say it was a little cruder!

I know exactly the one you mean. Words to live by.

I enjoy wine in moderation, don’t smoke, I’m a bit chubby in spite of not liking sweet things and exercising every day. I enjoy good food. I would rather do that and have a few years less than the alternative but unfortunately it’s not a choice

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, lincslady said:

All those folk living in terraced houses and flats in towns will have fun. They will need very long wires.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Morning Graham,thinking of doing your Ventura itinerary  on Oct 26th.Couple of questions,if I get the Captains wine package,can I get it and take it to the bar.I did this on Princess,I had to retrieve my wine at the entrance to the MDR as they didn't serve bottles at the bars.Secondly,our last and only P&O cruise was a worldy segment on Aurora back in 2017.I've just joined the peninsular club and emailed them for our account number from that cruise to add it.Is it advantageous doing this,cheers,Brian.

After 15 nights cruising your points are allocated to the Peninsular loyalty scheme.

Definitely worth doing as you will get 5% minimum discount off everything once your OBC is used up.

We never get drinks packages so I can't help you with that.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lincslady said:

No. The idea seems to be to price people off the road and onto public transport. There was never any plan for a like for like transition.

It will be back to the 70s when only the few had access to private transport. Everyone else will have to work around public transport which will be good for emissions but not so good for convenience and in some cases impossible for getting to work etc.

Having commuted for decades all around Scotland (when I worked) I am not a fan of public’s transport which is generally overcrowded, overpriced and not reliable. If that could be improved then perhaps people would use it more.

Add to that the fact that one journey I make regularly by car which takes 20 minutes would take 2.5 hours each way by bus and I would have to turn round and come home almost immediatly as there are no buses after 6 pm.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I wish you luck with getting a power supply sufficient to charge a car to your remote garage. I was all set for getting a full electric car a couple of months ago and the fuss and cost of getting a home charger installed outside our garage which is only 20 metres from the electric meter was prohibitive. Getting home broadband to extend as far as the charger in order to access the cheap tariffs was also an issue as was the refusal of my insurance company (and others) to cover the new electric car I was planning to buy. I bought another self charging hybrid instead.

I bought a full electric car back in April that came with a free home EV charger and £90 of charging credit. So far I’ve spent £39 charging it so really cheap compared to my previous diesel car.

I’m quite surprised at being unable to get insurance as I had no issues with insuring mine. So far I’m really happy with the car but the big test will be the trek down to Southampton in a couple of months.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I bought a full electric car back in April that came with a free home EV charger and £90 of charging credit. So far I’ve spent £39 charging it so really cheap compared to my previous diesel car.

I’m quite surprised at being unable to get insurance as I had no issues with insuring mine. So far I’m really happy with the car but the big test will be the trek down to Southampton in a couple of months.

Getting the charger for free was a bargain. I'm told around £1200 by my electricity supplier plus £30 a metre for underground cabling to connect to mains.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Probably not, but it's quite likely that the second hand value of petrol and diesel cars will by then exceed the cost of a new electric car.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ardennais said:

My husband has always done his own packing. So if he forgets something, it’s his own fault! 

Same here Ardennais...  I wouldn't touch his suitcase!

My OH also does l his own washing and ironing   but I think that comes from  when we both lived alone, we have only lived here for three years  He is also a dab hand with a hoover and cooker.  I keep telling him  he will make a wonderful wife😃  Anyway.. it works for us.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

I think it is more to do with your own personal car usage and circumstances than whether the country is ready. I spent months researching and talking to friends who have electric cars. Now that we are retired we have freedom to travel any time any day so charging would not be an issue for us. Several car companies will have chargers fitted for you at reasonable costs if you have the right access to required services.

Apart from travelling to Southampton we would likely only need to charge at home, even with a car without a long range and in winter. There are several apps that indicate where you can charge and costs, I was surprised as to how many chargers are now available as you don't notice a lot of them on normal daily routines, again travelling mid week would be easier than weekends. With the onset of fast chargers it isn't as if you still have to sit for hours waiting for the car to charge.

My eldest Grandson has had a Tesla for years and he travels quite a lot and has no problems. Friends have solar panels so their charging costs are even lower than mains. Technology marches on with ever increasing ranges and costs coming down as electric cars are mass produced.

• Like 3