P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Morning all,I hope Wowzz is eating and not doing his porridge at the mo.We flew back to Italy yesterday armed with reams of documentation none of which was asked for at either end.LFT done DIY at home,put result plastic thingy next to passport with ID number written on it with biro,upload photo,email received within hour with attached cert.Kerching,another 58 quid thank you.Stansted was busy but not like it used to be and half the restaurants not open.The ones that were had reduced menus.Supply issues or less customers being the reason I don't know.Meeting friends in restaurant tonight,1st world problem,shall I have octopus or swordfish,cheers,Brian.

Pleased you both arrived back 'home' safely bro.

Swordfish would be my choice. Love, love, love it. We first tried it in a small taverna in Kefalos many(35+?) years ago. Served on a bed of vegetable rice, topped with fried onions and a fried egg. Odd I know, but absolutely delicious. 

Enjoy your evening  bro and save the octopus for Christmas day.😁

Sis

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Pleased you both arrived back 'home' safely bro.

Swordfish would be my choice. Love, love, love it. We first tried it in a small taverna in Kefalos many(35+?) years ago. Served on a bed of vegetable rice, topped with fried onions and a fried egg. Odd I know, but absolutely delicious. 

Enjoy your evening  bro and save the octopus for Christmas day.😁

Sis

Hi sis,sorted,my big sis always knows best,bro.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

No courtesy car ? For the price main dealers charge for a service, it's the least they could do. Seat provided me with one f.o.c. even during the height of the pandemic.

My MOT and service garage owner picks my car up from home in the morning and returns it later in the afternoon, and charges me half of what the main VW dealer used to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My MOT and service garage owner picks my car up from home in the morning and returns it later in the afternoon, and charges me half of what the main VW dealer used to.

Yes, now our car is out of warranty, we will be using our local garage as well, and putting the savings towards the Wowzz Christmas Wine fund.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

No courtesy car ? For the price main dealers charge for a service, it's the least they could do. Seat provided me with one f.o.c. even during the height of the pandemic.

I could have asked for a courtesy car but it got Pauline's car out for a run and we called at the beach.

I had  company cars for 35 years and always got courtesy cars then.

16335146092551677043731563708095.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, now our car is out of warranty, we will be using our local garage as well, and putting the savings towards the Wowzz Christmas Wine fund.

My car is only 2 years old and under warranty still.

We have a local garage that does Pauline and also her brothers MOT etc.

Good Morning All

I hope everyone is doing OK.  I have been totally unable to post for the best part of a week now. I could 'like' or 'thanks' or use the laugh emoji but couldn’t quote or post. It all seems ok today. I gather quite a few of us have had similar issues so I hope the glitch is fixed now.

Welcome back Wowzz, Eddie and Kalos - we missed you.  

Sorry Presto has left / taken a step back. Hope everything is well.

Graham and Pauline I will ask again - with all the lovely lunches and dinners out you have, how come you're not both grossly overweight? I am so annoyed because I only have to look at some of your pizzas etc and I've put on half a stone - grossly unfair! 

Well workwise our flu season is in full swing as are the Covid boosters. I had a horrible reaction to mine (the booster) and still have swollen and painful lymph glands 2 weeks on. That was unexpected. 

Other news from me is that I have finally decided to retire. The stress of the NHS has finally got me and it's time to stand down. I actually think my practice needs someone who isn't me now. My 'boss' is currently on leave so next week, on his return, I am going to give my 6 months' notice. I feel quite excited now my mind is made up. I will go back to voluntary work at our local hospice if they have room for me.

Keep well and safe everyone. Best wishes all. Jane.x

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All

I hope everyone is doing OK.  I have been totally unable to post for the best part of a week now. I could 'like' or 'thanks' or use the laugh emoji but couldn’t quote or post. It all seems ok today. I gather quite a few of us have had similar issues so I hope the glitch is fixed now.

Graham and Pauline I will ask again - with all the lovely lunches and dinners out you have, how come you're not both grossly overweight? I am so annoyed because I only have to look at some of your pizzas etc and I've put on half a stone - grossly unfair! 

Well workwise our flu season is in full swing as are the Covid boosters. I had a horrible reaction to mine (the booster) and still have swollen and painful lymph glands 2 weeks on. That was unexpected. 

Other news from me is that I have finally decided to retire. The stress of the NHS has finally got me and it's time to stand down. I actually think my practice needs someone who isn't me now. My 'boss' is currently on leave so next week, on his return, I am going to give my 6 months' notice. I feel quite excited now my mind is made up. I will go back to voluntary work at our local hospice if they have room for me.

Thanks for your kind words Jane.

I'm sorry to hear about your booster reaction.

I think you are making the right decision to retire and admire you for all your voluntary work you do 

I am 14 stone 7lb and 5 feet 10inches so classed as obese.

I still have some muscle mass even though I have not worked out with weights since my heart attack in December 2019.

I do eat a lot of fruit, porridge,chicken, muesli and nuts and rarely any red meat which I used to eat lots of pre heart attack.

Take care.

Graham x.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I am going to give my 6 months' notice. I feel quite excited now my mind is made up.

Congratulations on making the decision. You have done more than your fair share.

Making the decision is not easy - it took me and Mrs W some time to decide together that it was now or never, but once the decision is made, life becomes much clearer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I am 14 stone 7lb and 5 feet 10inches so classed as obese.

My grandson is 36, 5' 11'', 14st 5lb, has a very healthy diet, works out with weights 5 times a week, built like a brick------😉 and hasn't an ounce of fat anywhere, yet is also classed as obese. Ridiculous.

Avril

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Other news from me is that I have finally decided to retire. The stress of the NHS has finally got me and it's time to stand down. I actually think my practice needs someone who isn't me now. My 'boss' is currently on leave so next week, on his return, I am going to give my 6 months' notice. I feel quite excited now mind is made up.

A wise decision Jane. You put a lot of yourself into this fight against covid, and I clearly remember when you had a really bad time of it due to all the pressure. You can be proud of all the work you've put in and deserve to put your own wellbeing first for a change. 

Avril

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All

I am sure you will have no regrets retiring. You have worked hard through some very difficult times. Your six month notice period will take  you through to the Spring, a lovely time to start your retirement 

Michelle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the wonderful replies and Mrs K say's thank you as well .

We are a bit of a team and as the song says 🎶 We Get Knocked Down But Get Back Up Again 🎶

Talking of retirement I have just had my letter from the pensions and will get mine in the New-Year as well. Having been retired for the last two year anyway you begin to discover things like how did I ever have time for a job in the first place as you will find you can sleep when you want and virtually do what you want . No more trolley dash's around the supermarket, you can go around them all and at your own pace . One thing I discovered is you do need to gaze at a calendar at least once a day , if not you find yourselves having discussions about how today feels like a Friday when it's any day but that day . So next time you see an old person wandering about looking like he doesn't know what day it is ... :classic_unsure: You could be right ! :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

My grandson is 36, 5' 11'', 14st 5lb, has a very healthy diet, works out with weights 5 times a week, built like a brick------😉 and hasn't an ounce of fat anywhere, yet is also classed as obese. Ridiculous.

Avril

I absolutely agree Avril.

Muscle weighs more than fat and BMI doesn't reflect accurately a person's fitness as your grandson is a great example of a very fit person.

I am carrying about 14lbs of fat around my middle with a 38 inch waist.

I lost over 2 stone 7lb a few months after my heart attack but looked gaunt and 13 stone 7lb should be my natural weight for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Or collected from and delivered back to your home - that’s been incredibly useful for us.  12 miles to the dealership, but it’s a free service they’ve always offered, and they wouldn’t be doing it unless it made financial sense.

Our cars have been picked up and dropped off by the main dealers for servicing for years, when I was working I had to drive past the dealership so would drop whichever car was being serviced and they would drop me off at work then ring, when they were finished with it, to see what time I wanted them to drop it off at my office.  Like you say it must make financial sense, I suspect that a lot of people like this service so stay with the same dealership.

47 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I absolutely agree Avril.

Muscle weighs more than fat and BMI doesn't reflect accurately a person's fitness as your grandson is a great example of a very fit person.

I am carrying about 14lbs of fat around my middle with a 38 inch waist.

I lost over 2 stone 7lb a few months after my heart attack but looked gaunt and 13 stone 7lb should be my natural weight for me.

I think to a certain extent  you go with what  cards life has dealt you . On the coronary care unit ward I was in for almost two weeks the guys in our bay, two were the wrong side of seventy  year old a couple were in their 20/30s and I would not describe one of them as even chunky  but they all said one way or another some things could have been done better. I am now staying around the 80KG mark and am happy with that .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

A wise decision Jane. You put a lot of yourself into this fight against covid, and I clearly remember when you had a really bad time of it due to all the pressure. You can be proud of all the work you've put in and deserve to put your own wellbeing first for a change. 

Avril

You have a good memory Avril. Yes I was struggling then and I'm struggling again. This time however the answer was much clearer - go, just go. Decision made, relief abundant. Thanks for your good wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Our cars have been picked up and dropped off by the main dealers for servicing for years, when I was working I had to drive past the dealership so would drop whichever car was being serviced and they would drop me off at work then ring, when they were finished with it, to see what time I wanted them to drop it off at my office.  Like you say it must make financial sense, I suspect that a lot of people like this service so stay with the same dealership.

Our dealer always collects my car first thing and drops it off at home in the evening. I can highly recommend our dealer. ABC cabs (service dept).

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

You have a good memory Avril. Yes I was struggling then and I'm struggling again. This time however the answer was much clearer - go, just go. Decision made, relief abundant. Thanks for your good wishes. Jane.x 

Great decision Jane. You will have six months to get used to the idea and plan all the wonderful things you can do with your time once spring arrives. Speaking from personal experience you won’t regret your decision!

Gill x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey kalos!  Good that you are All reight 🙂

Jane - great decision.  Hope it won’t feel too long coming.  All the winter to plough through.

It’s the most wonderful day here.  We’ve been to Weymouth (just one ship in the bay now - Aurora or Arcadia) and the weather was like midsummer and the crowds weren’t!  The dogs have reclaimed the beach - it was packed with dog walkers and what fun the 4 legged types had.

We got talking to a couple from Derbyshire who are on the Princess cruise, docked at Portland today, as we enjoyed our sandwich and sneaky beverage.  They’re having a good time but said how they have to keep their expectations down - there seem to be itinerary changes and restrictions.  Anyway, they’re off to Liverpool, Glasgow & Belfast and hoping to take today’s weather with them.

C561F526-B0AB-44F1-90E9-8F5835FED070.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Our dealer always collects my car first thing and drops it off at home in the evening. I can highly recommend our dealer. ABC cabs (service dept).

Round our way in some parts geezers pick up your car and you never see it again.

Edited by brian1
  • Haha 4