P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning all spent a morning checking a few options out regarding cruises .We were booked 

to go on the Azura just before Christmas but with all that is going off with the Airport queues,

Mrs K was not amused .To be fair thinking about it ,if things don't change soon ,that could 

leave us in a long queue in a chilly December morning .Maybe things will change but we 

have a saying if in doubt ..Then bail out !

I have just spent the best part of fourteen minutes waiting to talk to someone at P&O and

once through, put through to a lovely lady who swapped me onto my new chosen cruise

from Southampton next year and she did this in less than ten minutes ,excellent service !

I know and read how people slag them off when things go wrong but credit where it's 

due I personally have a good service ,so thought it was only fair to show the other side of

the coin .:classic_love:

Have a good day everyone and take care :classic_smile:

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Home again from Ambassador Ambience  .We had a good time, and the more I think about it the better it seems.

Yes there were quite a few  little hitches, ie water, and the heating in cabins, theatre etc was too hot, but they are working on those.  The crew couldn't do enough.  We think a lot of crew are still training.  We haven't paid yet as for hundreds of people the system didn't work.  We expect a call within a week to arrange payment.

The entertainment were by far the best ever.  I heard people say West End quality and I totally agree.
Food was lovely.  The buffet was served like a food court, different served sections.. like The Quays on Iona but on a bigger scale.

They have a problem with the car park.. they had the one in front of the terminal but found it leased to a container Company so now its a 10 minute bus away and cases in  lorry.  Not a good start especially as their blurb still says  parking a minutes walk away.  I was dropped off and sat in the queue.

Cabin was amazing..   steward was great ...they have strict Health and Safety rules about how many wheelchairs and scooters used on board (you can take for land use).  You have to have an accessible cabin.    We had to have a suite as it was the only disabled one left.   A jar of homemade biscuits every day was our downfall!! There were promises not kept, ie lounges for suite use on going on and getting off, and a few other things  that didn't materialise, nor did priority boarding, we queued for well over an hour getting on and getting off was a shambles.  How can they dock at 8 and expect luggage to be in the terminal by 8.30.  I'm sure that will be sorted out now.

Our cruise was port intensive so not many lectures etc.  Lots of games and quizzes.

We had a good time, but dont go expecting the slickness of P and O or Cunard.  As the Entertainments Manager said.. they don't have all the bells and whistles but they hope to give a good time.

I hope I don't get a rocket for saying this but at the Captains cocktail party and when he had  his Officers on stage once,  what a scruffy lot.. all wearing their windcheaters.  Part  of it all is seeing the officers, slightly aloof and impeccable, wandering around, but they all seemed to slouch around in fleeces and not an epaulette (?) or trouser crease or ironed shirt in sight!!!!!!

We had a good time.. little niggles will all be gone soon,  it was very early days.. so go openminded and enjoy.

Sounds great Indi,I'll have to give them a try.They are on my doorstep.I'd only worry about the officers attire if they were hovering near the exit with their lifejackets on.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Home again from Ambassador Ambience  .We had a good time, and the more I think about it the better it seems.

Yes there were quite a few  little hitches, ie water, and the heating in cabins, theatre etc was too hot, but they are working on those.  The crew couldn't do enough.  We think a lot of crew are still training.  We haven't paid yet as for hundreds of people the system didn't work.  We expect a call within a week to arrange payment.

The entertainment were by far the best ever.  I heard people say West End quality and I totally agree.
Food was lovely.  The buffet was served like a food court, different served sections.. like The Quays on Iona but on a bigger scale.

They have a problem with the car park.. they had the one in front of the terminal but found it leased to a container Company so now its a 10 minute bus away and cases in  lorry.  Not a good start especially as their blurb still says  parking a minutes walk away.  I was dropped off and sat in the queue.

Cabin was amazing..   steward was great ...they have strict Health and Safety rules about how many wheelchairs and scooters used on board (you can take for land use).  You have to have an accessible cabin.    We had to have a suite as it was the only disabled one left.   A jar of homemade biscuits every day was our downfall!! There were promises not kept, ie lounges for suite use on going on and getting off, and a few other things  that didn't materialise, nor did priority boarding, we queued for well over an hour getting on and getting off was a shambles.  How can they dock at 8 and expect luggage to be in the terminal by 8.30.  I'm sure that will be sorted out now.

Our cruise was port intensive so not many lectures etc.  Lots of games and quizzes.

We had a good time, but dont go expecting the slickness of P and O or Cunard.  As the Entertainments Manager said.. they don't have all the bells and whistles but they hope to give a good time.

I hope I don't get a rocket for saying this but at the Captains cocktail party and when he had  his Officers on stage once,  what a scruffy lot.. all wearing their windcheaters.  Part  of it all is seeing the officers, slightly aloof and impeccable, wandering around, but they all seemed to slouch around in fleeces and not an epaulette (?) or trouser crease or ironed shirt in sight!!!!!!

We had a good time.. little niggles will all be gone soon,  it was very early days.. so go openminded and enjoy.

The parking was always a bit iffy at Tilbury. We did 3 CMV cruises, and each time we had to park somewhere different, although the last time was near the terminal, although we were still bussed to the terminal building. 

I am feeling absolutely shattered, I spent the morning at the pharmacy booking people in for their vaccines.  I can't believe how many people came in without an appointment wanting to be vaccinated because they have just realised that unless they are vaccinated they may not be able to go abroad.  

When I got home we decided to go out for lunch and had delicious fish, chips and mushy peas but the portion was so big that I could finish it and had to turn down the chance to have a dessert.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I am feeling absolutely shattered, I spent the morning at the pharmacy booking people in for their vaccines.  I can't believe how many people came in without an appointment wanting to be vaccinated because they have just realised that unless they are vaccinated they may not be able to go abroad.  

When I got home we decided to go out for lunch and had delicious fish, chips and mushy peas but the portion was so big that I could finish it and had to turn down the chance to have a dessert.

You have my sympathy, it is amazing just how 'stupid' people can be

• Like 3

I have been into Manchester today to meet up with three friends from work. Three of us retired 12 years ago and our much younger friend who still has 2 years to go. We hadn’t met up since November 2019, previously we met up every three months. It was great to see them all and the other two retired ladies looked great. Poor Ronda looked really tired and deflated. She was having to reassure her staff (the best she could) about the 91,000 civil service posts that are to be cut and it was really upsetting her.

We had a lovely lunch in Cichetti in House of Fraser and three hours of catch up, not nearly long enough though, so planning on meeting up again August. 

Came home and had an hour in the garden and now a glass of wine.

Great day, but tomorrow need to start our packing for Turkey on Thursday.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Glad you enjoyed Ambience, we have booked the 21 nights to Greenland this afternoon, we have wavered for while as it is only just over a week after our Danube cruise, it is the best itinerary I have ever seen to Greenland. When I saw the price on an email today that swayed it.

• Like 4

No exotic lunches for us today, but a Yorkshire special Fish and Chips at the Magpie Cafe in Whitby. On previous occasions we have been unable to get in due to long queue and wait time, this time no queue and we got a window seat as well. 

The meal was excellent, the cod melted in your mouth, my wife had the gluten-free version, so a extra star from her as finding gluten free fish and chips is not easy in some places. 

Whitby was quiet compared to our last visit at this time of year, dozens of free places in car parks, streets not crowded and less seagulls as well. 

The owner of the cottages where we are staying says visitor numbers are definitely down, people are being careful how they spend their money. 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Jennizor said:

I have been into Manchester today to meet up with three friends from work. Three of us retired 12 years ago and our much younger friend who still has 2 years to go. We hadn’t met up since November 2019, previously we met up every three months. It was great to see them all and the other two retired ladies looked great. Poor Ronda looked really tired and deflated. She was having to reassure her staff (the best she could) about the 91,000 civil service posts that are to be cut and it was really upsetting her.

We had a lovely lunch in Cichetti in House of Fraser and three hours of catch up, not nearly long enough though, so planning on meeting up again August. 

Came home and had an hour in the garden and now a glass of wine.

Great day, but tomorrow need to start our packing for Turkey on Thursday.

That sounds like a really nice day to me, meeting up with old work colleague’s. 

I still meet up with old ex Civil Service friends occasionally from 20 years ago. Every time we meet it’s as though we saw each other yesterday. 

Count down to your hols can begin now

Michelle

57 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

No exotic lunches for us today, but a Yorkshire special Fish and Chips at the Magpie Cafe in Whitby. On previous occasions we have been unable to get in due to long queue and wait time, this time no queue and we got a window seat as well. 

Thanks for the recommendation. We’ll be in Whitby tomorrow (45 years since our last visit) as we’re having a short UK break in lieu of our cancelled Arcadia Baltic cruise that we should be on right now.  We hope to be there early to avoid queuing; something to which DH has a strong aversion 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jennizor said:

She was having to reassure her staff (the best she could) about the 91,000 civil service posts that are to be cut and it was really upsetting her.

Let's face it, every government for the last twenty/thirty/forty years have been saying that they will cut civil servant numbers. They then introduce new rules and regulations that require supervision,  and, hey ho, more civil servants are required ! 

I don't think your friend's staff have anything to be worried about.

Today looks a half decent day ,so I think I will get my gear out and give the garden 

my presence .Just need my garden table ,chair and the all important mug of tea  

and were sorted. Then I can sit back and forget life's worries such as the price 

of Oxo cubes , I'm telling you the stock market has gone crazy :classic_wink:

Have a nice day everyone :classic_love:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Guest ccpm
On 5/9/2022 at 2:54 PM, lancashire_cruisers said:

Of course there are those students for whom a laptop in lectures is vital such as my daughter who is dyslexic and has all manner of special software available to her just so she has the same learning opportunities as the other students.

Thankfully her university and lecturers have been incredibly supportive and fingers crossed we'll be attending her graduation later in the summer.

4 hours ago, pete14 said:

The Pete14s and Prestos rendezvous in Wales

ED706311-728B-441E-AF69-6D2541E984C7.jpeg

Just to affirm that it was a fab meet up. Thanks to Mr and Mrs Pete14 and Charlie for a lovely afternoon and their hospitality. Wld be nice if more of us could meet up some time. 🙂

• Like 15

12 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Just to affirm that it was a fab meet up. Thanks to Mr and Mrs Pete14 and Charlie for a lovely afternoon and their hospitality. Wld be nice if more of us could meet up some time. 🙂

We're on our way.Have you got a sofabed in your caravan lounge.That'll do.Your new besties,Brian and Marilyn.

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I hope the Pinot didn't go warm in  the sunshine !

Looks like a fantastic day for a get together. 

It didn’t have time to go warm although maybe I am mistaken because it seemed to evaporate quite quickly while we weren’t watching. 

Edited by pete14
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, Presto2 said:

It would be great if more of us could meet up some time but not here because the decking is quite small and we only have 4 chairs. We could probably fit Brian and Marilyn though. I believe the sofa bed is very comfortable, our son sleeps soundly on it when he comes over.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

It didn’t have time to go warm although maybe I am mistaken because it seemed to evaporate quite quickly while we weren’t watching. 

You just need to open another bottle if it evaporates, that's what we did last night when we sat in the garden 😇

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Morning all ,hope your all feeling fine after a night of Eurovision and congrats to Ukraine 

who we all knew would win a good month back. To be fair they weren't too bad and 

their front man had gone all out with the wardrobe dept . Not really sure if that hat was 

his Nanas or he was doing an impression ,whilst trying to sing ,of Nora Batty :classic_unsure:

The group that (almost) impressed me was the one with the woman sat washing her 

hands . I was just saying to Mrs K how I thought they would do well on the P&O ships!

No not in the theatre but possibly at the entrance to the buffet .Could work well :classic_smile:

The Eurovision is a show that just keeps on giving (I'm not sure what ) I mean where 

else could you get to see a woman who decorates her room in bog roll ? 

Then proceeds to rip it back down .Maybe she didn't like the colour ! :classic_wacko: At least she 

gave us a bit of a song to go with it .

Anyway as the song goes "Back to life, back to reality"  I hope you all have a good day .

Take care everyone :classic_love::classic_smile:

• Like 9
  • Haha 3