P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have started to use bustimesdotorg a web site not an app. I check if the bus i want to catch has just left Chatham by looking on the map. The bus icons are colour coded by company . I click on the 132 icon and from there you get the bus info. At least you know that one is running.

Just been taking a look at that, Dave - it's impressively useful.  Thanks for the tip.

In case anyone wants a direct link to the maps section, this should take you to the fine city of Birmingham, which still has a decent public transport system:

https://bustimes.org/map#13/52.474/-1.898

Zoom in or out to track the buses you want to use, wherever it is. 

Thanks again, Dave - very useful.

2 hours ago, tring said:

We know the Portsmouth area well @P&O SUE as my husband is from the area, so have continued to visit his parents until recent years and still meet up with a group of his school friends every year or so.  Just be aware the roads to Southampton from there are not always quick moving and there can easily be big delays, so I suggest you do not leave plenty of time to head to Southampton to embark a cruise ship, though of course there is a service station just before the M271 turnoff, so could hole up there a while if you do turn out to have a bit of time to spare. 

Enjoy your cruise

Thank you and I shall bear that in mind re the traffic. It seems P&O have a strict policy again so it seemed a good idea to go a bit further away this time. We have a check out time of 11am so I hope we don’t have too late a time to check in.

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Yes - and there is a good selection of Premier Inn type hotels close to Portsmouth Harbour station too. From there it is easy to do all the historical sites and the shopping at Gunwharf Quays. Gunwharf also has a good range of restaurants and a cinema. 

We have been to Gunwharf a couple of times and liked the atmosphere. Not stayed there though so looking forward to that as there’s so many restaurants to choose from! We also had a harbour boat tour from there once and of course the Dockyard is an easy walk.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Yes, glad it’s removed. Hopefully onwards and upwards now. How stupid I was  when I was 18/19/20 sunbathing all day on holiday using Hawaiian Tropic or some other oil, factor 2 or something equally ridiculous. You don’t realise the damage until later. 

Michelle

Ah yes but we didn’t know any better then did we? It was called ‘sun tan lotion’ so sounded like it gave us a sun tan! I’m very careful nowadays especially my face as it seems to go very red now and it didnt  before so now I have tanned arms and a pale face as I’m always putting sun cream on my face!

Hope you’re healing ok x

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Well after yesterday’s wonderful weather, clear skies temperatures reaching 21C, we managed to get both bed linen and towels dry on the rotary line, wouldn’t do that today currently raining and 15C, but looking ahead we appear to be in a some long spells of sunshine from tomorrow, so I can finish off the garden jobs I have earmarked for this month.

Today I have to complete feedback form for possibly the most boring H&S Course ever,  that I was required to attend earlier this week, some filing and tidying up of my office, which has become a tad untidy over recent weeks. Other than that a quiet day!

I hope you give honest feedback 😊

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Ah yes but we didn’t know any better then did we? It was called ‘sun tan lotion’ so sounded like it gave us a sun tan! I’m very careful nowadays especially my face as it seems to go very red now and it didnt  before so now I have tanned arms and a pale face as I’m always putting sun cream on my face!

Hope you’re healing ok x

Thank you, hopefully on the mend now.

I always wear a moisturiser with an SPF in all year round and if I am out in the sun a hat with a large floppy brim. A quick brush with bronzer on my face makes me look healthy 

Michelle

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Thank you, hopefully on the mend now.

I always wear a moisturiser with an SPF in all year round and if I am out in the sun a hat with a large floppy brim. A quick brush with bronzer on my face makes me look healthy 

Michelle

Yes I like a large hat! I often sit with a group of friends outside and I’m the only one with a hat! I have discovered bronzer too but I’m not keen on my pale face 😄

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

We have been to Gunwharf a couple of times and liked the atmosphere. Not stayed there though so looking forward to that as there’s so many restaurants to choose from! We also had a harbour boat tour from there once and of course the Dockyard is an easy walk.

Yes, it's my favourite Outlet Shopping Centre.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

When we go (hopefully ) on our short cruise in June we’ve booked the Holiday Inn at Gunwharf quays the night before. We were supposed to go last year for two nights but I cancelled it and it was also the Queen’s funeral. Haven’t been to Gunwharf for ages but I really like it , lots to do. Going up the Spinaker Tower is great!

Thought it would be a change from staying in Southampton and as embarkation times are supposed to be strictly enforced now it ‘wastes’ a bit of time in the morning!

We have a weekend booked in Portsmouth later in the year as well as our overnight stay this month. We are driving Mum and Dad to Southampton for their Arvia cruise in September and then collecting them so we thought we'd make a weekend of it and visit the dockyard. We're staying in the Portsmouth Holiday Inn rather than the Gunwharf one.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Ventura 😊

I'd be interested to hear how you get on, we're going to the Canaries on Ventura this August. We have a deck C cabin booked and have splashed out and booked the Retreat for the fortnight as it will be school holidays

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Yes, glad it’s removed. Hopefully onwards and upwards now. How stupid I was  when I was 18/19/20 sunbathing all day on holiday using Hawaiian Tropic or some other oil, factor 2 or something equally ridiculous. You don’t realise the damage until later. 

Michelle

I think many of us did the same at that age, I know I certainly did, we didn't know any better.

I hope your wounds start to heal properly very soon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

We have a weekend booked in Portsmouth later in the year as well as our overnight stay this month. We are driving Mum and Dad to Southampton for their Arvia cruise in September and then collecting them so we thought we'd make a weekend of it and visit the dockyard. We're staying in the Portsmouth Holiday Inn rather than the Gunwharf one.

When I’ve been to Gunwharf before I always said I’d like to stay at the Holiday Inn there. I highly recommend the Spinnaker Tower, great views and we spent ages watching the Isle of Wight ferry coming in and out, it’s a tight manoeuvre!

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I'd be interested to hear how you get on, we're going to the Canaries on Ventura this August. We have a deck C cabin booked and have splashed out and booked the Retreat for the fortnight as it will be school holidays

I’ve been on her twice before both in inside cabins. I love that style of ship. Lovely prom deck. Even though Azura was our first cruise Ventura was the place we discovered the Glasshouse. 

This time we’ve got a balcony on Lido deck, it’s only 4 nights so we weren’t too fussed where the balcony was.

C deck has the largest balconies they look huge.

Bit worried about some recent feedback of her but seen much better reviews lately . I’ll report back.

• Like 2

Good evening.

We took our Sarah out for dinner tonight.

Sarah had the Rib eye steak.

Pauline and I had potato skins with garlic mayo dip to start.

Pauline had a pasta and I had the Calzone pizza.

For dessert Sarah had an Affogato, Pauline had a Tiramisu and I had an Americano coffee.

IMG_20230519_173427.jpg

IMG_20230519_175419.jpg

IMG_20230519_175539.jpg

IMG_20230519_175634.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11

On 5/18/2023 at 4:41 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

Sounds like they may have mis-priced and you've been lucky.  Filled the car up today with E5 petrol "Ultimate" at 159.9p.  E10 was 140.9.  Diesel was I think 6p more than E10 petrol.

I think you must right, got home today and diesel at our local Esso  filling station, ( it was BP last Friday when we left, ) is now 151.9p per litre, just a shame I could only squeeze 20 litres in to fill up the tank.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

We are in Nagasaki today, beautiful sunny day, this place will go in our top ten, so much variation with so many cultures and so much to see. Certainly somewhere we could visit for a week.

Oh how lovely. I thoroughly enjoyed Nagasaki when there 10 years ago on Aurora. The museum about the bomb was fascinating and very moving. Everyone there was delightful. I can remember the local children waved us off with “Come back soon” banners. I seem to recall it was Aurora’s maiden visit, but could be wrong.

• Like 6

We are in Nagasaki today, beautiful sunny day, this place will go in our top ten, so much variation with so many cultures and so much to see. Certainly somewhere we could visit for a week.

Sounds wonderful and pleased your enjoying it .

This morning we have fog and 7.c but should get to 18.c later.

• Like 2

You were half right Brian, we do end up in Alaska, we come back 20th June.

Perfect Phil,you get to do a Japan cruise 1st.We were in Nagasaki on Diamond Princess.She was built there so all the bands etc were out to meet and see us off,Brian.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think you must right, got home today and diesel at our local Esso  filling station, ( it was BP last Friday when we left, ) is now 151.9p per litre, just a shame I could only squeeze 20 litres in to fill up the tank.

I couldn’t believe the price of diesel at Tesco yesterday 144.9, that’s the cheapest I have seen for ages

Michelle

Morning all, very very dull here again! Fed up of it, I need sun! Supposedly suppose to brighten up soon but the forecast has said that a lot recently. Our corner seems to miss it!

Hope everyone has a good weekend 😊

• Like 6

Good Morning Everyone and Happy Saturday.

Busy weekend for me. I'm taking my granddaughter for another drive today. We've been going out every weekend for some time now and she's doing really well. She has her test booked for 10th July and I'm really hopeful she passes. After that I'm going to our local car boot sale with a friend and I'll probably come back with a load of old tat as usual. Why can't I ever be one of those people who finds an early Clarice Cliff or Renee Macintosh to show at a later date on Antiques Roadshow - and make a fortune.

Tomorrow is an 80th birthday party for one of my neighbours. I thought it would be an afternoon- tea-like sedate affair but no - they've got a well-stocked bar and karaoke! I won't be singing but I'll be taking photos and videos of everyone making complete fools of themselves - for blackmail at a later date!

I hope you all have a lovely weekend. Be well. Best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 12