P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

We had Romany at one point too. Our son and his wife have it now and she’s thrilled with it. Our daughter however also grew up with it - and hates it with a passion! Back in the 70s all newly wed couples seemed to hanker after a set of Denby.

Now they just want to be able to afford to buy, or even rent, somewhere. We were an extremely fortunate generation.

We collected Hornsea after our wedding in 1975.Not quite as classy as Denby but not bad back in the day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

We have never visited a launderette on holiday.

Neither have I.  I prefer to send any dirty clothes that need to be washed to the laundry.  It may be an extra cost but I think that it is well worth it.  In the great scheme of things a few extra pounds is nothing when you look at the cost of the cruise.

Another reason why I prefer the Princess is the perk of free laundry. 

My b-i-l said after their first cruisethat he is surprised that so many people wanted to do laundry on holiday when you could get it all done for a small fee.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Leomins said:

Nor me, but I’ve not been on a ship for more than 14 days. I would if I did longer cruises. I think the facility is a good one for those who want it.

We've done 2 19 day worldie segments and a Princess 28 day Alaska to FL repo.The laundrettes were a godsend.Airline baggage handlers wont take our steamer trunks.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

My mum's cousin worked for Telfers in their factory in Bow.  I recall my dad asking her what her job entailed and her replying she had to stuff the meat in a big hole at the rear!

Just to save Zap the time and trouble, I thought we’d stopped talking about Strictley😳. Ooh matron!!!

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

Do you remember Headquarters and General in Brixton. I purchased an outboard motor there.....How's that for random.

Goodness, that’s going back a bit!  I do remember the one in Holborn. This might jog some memories:

image.png

Edited by Harry Peterson
Double image removed
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, lindyloo22 said:

remember to 2 posh shops in Brixton high street Bon Marche and Morley’s (I think that’s what it was called) and I loved Brixton market in the late sixties early seventies had my first Saturday job in one of the arcades in Brixton.

When I was little my mum used to take us out for the day to Brixton.  I vaguely remember having meals there as a treat.

When I got bigger I worked in Herne Hill near there but had to visit Brixton Cop Shop many times, what a tough lot they were.

In my teens Saturday jobs were Littlewoods in Peckham, a curtain shop then clothes down East Lane.  Anyone remember East Lane???  It buzzed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

When I was little my mum used to take us out for the day to Brixton.  I vaguely remember having meals there as a treat.

When I got bigger I worked in Herne Hill near there but had to visit Brixton Cop Shop many times, what a tough lot they were.

In my teens Saturday jobs were Littlewoods in Peckham, a curtain shop then clothes down East Lane.  Anyone remember East Lane???  It buzzed.

Not East Street Market, off Walworth Road? Well remember that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

It's a funny old world. We went to Herne Hill on Saturday morning to a roller skating rink. When I got a bit older I sometimes went to the Ram Jam with my West Indian school friends....Gino.. Gino.🤣. I lived in Balham

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is 11°C and sunny today.

One of Pauline's lovely friends who we saw yesterday her mam died last night.

Sorry to hear this Graham. I know that having you and Pauline for friends will comfort her. Condolences to you all. Jane xx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are just back from the hospital, DH had an appointment in dermatology, he has some lesions on the top of his back that seem to be spreading. This was the second appointment and he now has another one for 3rd January for a sample to be removed to check whether or not it is malignant.  He had one removed 10 years ago and today's person thinks that maybe they didn't get all of it.  It must be named Rip Van Winkle and has spent the last 10nyears asleep.

I was surprised that the outpatients dept is so busy on a Sunday afternoon. 

• Like 2

It has been a lovely day here, quite pleasant in the sun, it has been nice to spend a couple of hours in the garden as I have a bit of catching up to do. It was nice to see lots of people out walking too.

I did liver and onion in Yorkshire pudding for tea, sorry no Photo's but don't have a wide angled lens😉. I sometimes forget just how nice liver can be, especially with a pinch of chilli flakes. It is nice done in the air fryer with a spicy pepper sauce too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not East Street Market, off Walworth Road? Well remember that. 

That's the one.  Did Saturdays in a clothes shop.   It was when  big midi coats came out for kids.    If the coats were too big we were encouraged to hold them in a pleat at the back.  I couldn't do that, and other dodgy practices, so I left!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

how is your pain?

OK, but very unstable.  It can go from one place to another in 10 seconds.  Sometimes it surprises me, and I shout out, then it just goes.  I am not a cryer, but sometimes I have cried, then it disappears.  

Thanks for asking. On Tuesday I am having spinal injections under anaesthetic so hope it take even some pain away.

• Like 16

On 12/16/2023 at 8:32 AM, Beckett said:

@P&O SUE "Warm, safe, and well" were the words my brother and I used time and time again after our mum went into a care home. We both felt a degree of guilt and, I suppose, abandonment when she first went in, but knowing we no longer had to worry about falls and wanderings was such a relief. The care home wasn't perfect - what is - but she was happy there. The staff were true carers and we felt we had done the right thing.

You have had a nightmare last few months Sue and the care of your parents seems to have been largely on you. See this next stage of your mum's life for what it is - a kindness to protect her safety. She will meet new friends, enjoy entertainments, and be stimulated by all sorts of new company. You are absolutely doing the right thing.

Best wishes.  Jane xx

Thank you Jane for your kind words. She can be very strong willed so I do hope she likes it there.

• Like 3

A mad day planned for today.  

Take 2 teenagers to school

Take their dog for a walk

Deliver Christmas Presents, cards and chocolate sleighs for the children of nephews and nieces

Food shopping

Put up the Christmas tree

Collect teenagers from school

Hopefully I will have an easy week once today is over.

Have a great day what ever you are doing.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 6