P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hi all,touched down at LGW at 5.10 yesterday.Passport hall deserted, bags 10 mins,mainline train to Victoria,26 stops on District line,home at 7.40.Just out of curiosity we had a "test" kit left over,negative this morning,still snotting and coughing.Got a social worker coming this morning to give me my adoption records,this has taken a year to sort out,will wear a mask when she comes.

I hope your adoption records give you the information that you are looking for.🤞🏻

There seems to be a lot of coughs and colds going around at the moment but a lot of us are still concerned about Covid so are testing if we start coughing and sneezing.  I think that we have to live with covid being a fact of life just as we do with flu.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I hope your adoption records give you the information that you are looking for.🤞🏻

There seems to be a lot of coughs and colds going around at the moment but a lot of us are still concerned about Covid so are testing if we start coughing and sneezing.  I think that we have to live with covid being a fact of life just as we do with flu.

It doesn't worry me but dont want to ruin the social workers Christmas.I did one of those Ancestry DNA profiles back in Oct 2022.Within 24 hrs I was in contact with an Aunt.This is where it gets complicated,she is either my half Aunt thru her half brother or my full Aunt thru her sister she never knew.Real names may be revealed today to shed some light.Back in the day unmarried young mothers rarely put real names on birth certificates.Fingers crossed,Brian.

• Like 19

For those who are not going out to the pub for Christmas lunch 

or having a quiet meal for two and are  stressing about Christmas Day..

Here's some  top tips for Christmas Dinner....🙃

I have concluded that the inevitable stress of Christmas dinner is created by adverts, supermarkets and TV chefs...
It's a Sunday dinner for goodness sake!!!

The only difference is that you are allowed to open a bottle of wine before you open the kitchen curtains.
We do it quite happily 51 weeks of the year but can we the consumers be trusted to manage by ourselves on one day of the year...apparently not!

Here goes...

1. Turkey... It's a big fat chicken that's all, 20 minutes per lb plus 20 minutes at 180 degrees - jobs a good un! Get yourselves a meat thermometer £3 off the Internet poke it in the offending bird if it says 75 degrees or over its cooked!

2. Stuffing - regardless of what Jamie Oliver says you do NOT need 2lbs of shoulder of pork, onions breadcrumbs,pine nuts and a  big  load of fresh herbs to make stuffing....
What you need is Paxo and a kettle!! If you wanna liven it up squeeze 3 sausages out of their skins and mix that in with your Paxo before cooking .

3. Gravy - Jamie Oliver is copping for this one as well....
Bisto Jamie.... All you need is Bisto !
I ( nor anyone else I know) has got time on Christmas Eve to mess about roasting chicken wings and vegetables, adding stock and flour cooking it for another half hour, mashing it all up with a potato masher and then straining the whole sorry mess to make gravy

4. Vegetables... Never mind faffing round shredding sprouts and frying them with bacon and chestnuts to make them more palatable... If you don't like them don't buy and cook the things!!

If your family only eats frozen peas then that's good enough!

5. Roast potatoes... Yes, I par boil mine, then roast them in goose fat, but Aunt Bessie also does the same .

6. Trimmings /Christmas pudding and the like.... Aldi or Lidl!
(oh and while we're on the subject of pudding - if Birds custard is what your family likes on the wretched thing then that's fine - you do not need brandy butter/rum sauce, etc, or anything else that costs a fortune and takes 2 hours to make!)

7. Family....
Children.. Feed the little blighters first separately, if they only want turkey with tomato sauce - fine leave 'em to it, it doesn't matter. Once they are fed, let them play with their Christmas presents so that you  can enjoy your dinner in peace!

Adults... Anyone that can manage to get their sorry backside to your dinner table is also capable of helping to serve up/sort the kids out/clear the table/wash up/dry up, etc.

And Finally.....
NO ONE.... And I mean no one apart from the cook is allowed to get drunk and fall asleep

before everything is put away !

• Like 3
  • Haha 23

35 minutes ago, kalos said:

For those who are not going out to the pub for Christmas lunch 

or having a quiet meal for two and are  stressing about Christmas Day..

Here's some  top tips for Christmas Dinner....🙃

I have concluded that the inevitable stress of Christmas dinner is created by adverts, supermarkets and TV chefs...
It's a Sunday dinner for goodness sake!!!

The only difference is that you are allowed to open a bottle of wine before you open the kitchen curtains.
We do it quite happily 51 weeks of the year but can we the consumers be trusted to manage by ourselves on one day of the year...apparently not!

Here goes...

1. Turkey... It's a big fat chicken that's all, 20 minutes per lb plus 20 minutes at 180 degrees - jobs a good un! Get yourselves a meat thermometer £3 off the Internet poke it in the offending bird if it says 75 degrees or over its cooked!

2. Stuffing - regardless of what Jamie Oliver says you do NOT need 2lbs of shoulder of pork, onions breadcrumbs,pine nuts and a  big  load of fresh herbs to make stuffing....
What you need is Paxo and a kettle!! If you wanna liven it up squeeze 3 sausages out of their skins and mix that in with your Paxo before cooking .

3. Gravy - Jamie Oliver is copping for this one as well....
Bisto Jamie.... All you need is Bisto !
I ( nor anyone else I know) has got time on Christmas Eve to mess about roasting chicken wings and vegetables, adding stock and flour cooking it for another half hour, mashing it all up with a potato masher and then straining the whole sorry mess to make gravy

4. Vegetables... Never mind faffing round shredding sprouts and frying them with bacon and chestnuts to make them more palatable... If you don't like them don't buy and cook the things!!

If your family only eats frozen peas then that's good enough!

5. Roast potatoes... Yes, I par boil mine, then roast them in goose fat, but Aunt Bessie also does the same .

6. Trimmings /Christmas pudding and the like.... Aldi or Lidl!
(oh and while we're on the subject of pudding - if Birds custard is what your family likes on the wretched thing then that's fine - you do not need brandy butter/rum sauce, etc, or anything else that costs a fortune and takes 2 hours to make!)

7. Family....
Children.. Feed the little blighters first separately, if they only want turkey with tomato sauce - fine leave 'em to it, it doesn't matter. Once they are fed, let them play with their Christmas presents so that you  can enjoy your dinner in peace!

Adults... Anyone that can manage to get their sorry backside to your dinner table is also capable of helping to serve up/sort the kids out/clear the table/wash up/dry up, etc.

And Finally.....
NO ONE.... And I mean no one apart from the cook is allowed to get drunk and fall asleep

before everything is put away !

I think that over the last few years the meaning of Christmas has changed a bit. For many, no more work for a few days. Relief that we have got through another year of ---- relatively unscathed, or remembering absent friends. A time to relax, let your hair down a bit and look forward. Thanking your God as well. Worrying about " have I got enough chocolate for all those visitors ", is an important pre-Christmas ritual. When all your visitors gave gone off home..That went alright, didn't it ?.

• Like 13

47 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think that over the last few years the meaning of Christmas has changed a bit. For many, no more work for a few days. Relief that we have got through another year of ---- relatively unscathed, or remembering absent friends. A time to relax, let your hair down a bit and look forward. Thanking your God as well. Worrying about " have I got enough chocolate for all those visitors ", is an important pre-Christmas ritual. When all your visitors gave gone off home..That went alright, didn't it ?.

Actual Christmas Day I normally enjoy with our family. It’s all the build up and busy shops beforehand I hate! Also John and I normally only have Christmas Day and Boxing day off and often John works Boxing Day as well! 

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think that over the last few years the meaning of Christmas has changed a bit. 

Yep ,all those working from home .Do they have a office party for themselves ?🤔

Do mums still disappear for half a day ,stuck in the supermarket in a mile long queue

as we need at least six extra loaves due to the shops being shut for two days 🤔

Carol singers ? Do they still accept cash or card only .

Do folk still order the Radio and TV times to avoid disappointment ?🤔

Either way we still enjoy cos it's Christmas 😃

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yep ,all those working from home .Do they have a office party for themselves ?🤔

Do mums still disappear for half a day ,stuck in the supermarket in a mile long queue

as we need at least six extra loaves due to the shops being shut for two days 🤔

Carol singers ? Do they still accept cash or card only .

Do folk still order the Radio and TV times to avoid disappointment ?🤔

Either way we still enjoy cos it's Christmas 😃

DW said ' can you see if you can get a Christmas radio times when you go up the shop ?.  £4.99😡. 2 days later it was free in the paper....Next year..Bah.Humbug.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

DW said ' can you see if you can get a Christmas radio times when you go up the shop ?.  £4.99😡. 2 days later it was free in the paper....Next year..Bah.Humbug.

For Christmas Day, you could probably use last year’s copy because it rarely changes year from year. I expect it will include Eastenders, Coronation Street, Dr Who, Call the Midwife, a couple of ‘celebrity’ game shows and a spin off from Strictly Come Dancing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

32 minutes ago, pete14 said:

For Christmas Day, you could probably use last year’s copy because it rarely changes year from year. I expect it will include Eastenders, Coronation Street, Dr Who, Call the Midwife, a couple of ‘celebrity’ game shows and a spin off from Strictly Come Dancing.

Right. BBC 2 seems to have every 1960's " comedy " show that was ever made.

The shops are indeed half empty round here, Morrisons in particular was very quiet.  Also some of the major supermarkets have e mailed me offering a late Xmas shop.  They weren't available a few weeks ago. 

We realised just now that we were running short of cat litter, its too heavy for us now, so I looked on Iceland of all people, ordered 3 plus big boxes of cat food which last for ever and that is being delivered in three hours.  Unbelievable.

Can I morph into Kalos please, just for a minute!   

I ACCIDENTALLY TOOK MY CAT'S MEDICATION

DON'T ASK MEOW

I'll get my coat!😀

• Haha 18

This is to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and a good New Year.  I am leaving for my airport hotel very shortly and then off tomorrow to Fort Lauderdale to see my friends before boarding our Celebrity cruise on the 22nd.  It will be into the New Year before we return and then a week at home before flying off to Barbados on the 13th to join Britannia.

Special thoughts and wishes to those of you who have had some very sad and tragic family events lately. I hope you enjoy a restful and peaceful time and can recall happy memories and take comfort from them.  To those who are currently unwell or in pain I hope you start to feel better and get relief soon.

Life takes some funny turns. I learned yesterday that my cousin lost his wife to cancer a couple of months back and chose to tell no one but his best friend and then to compound it I learned one of my immediate family is receiving church handouts for their children this year as they are in dire financial straits.  I guess the reason I say this is we should count our blessings, be kind to people and never be afraid to share if we have troubles.  

Christmas is hopefully a time for reflection. Have a great one all.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

This is to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and a good New Year.  I am leaving for my airport hotel very shortly and then off tomorrow to Fort Lauderdale to see my friends before boarding our Celebrity cruise on the 22nd.  It will be into the New Year before we return and then a week at home before flying off to Barbados on the 13th to join Britannia.

Special thoughts and wishes to those of you who have had some very sad and tragic family events lately. I hope you enjoy a restful and peaceful time and can recall happy memories and take comfort from them.  To those who are currently unwell or in pain I hope you start to feel better and get relief soon.

Life takes some funny turns. I learned yesterday that my cousin lost his wife to cancer a couple of months back and chose to tell no one but his best friend and then to compound it I learned one of my immediate family is receiving church handouts for their children this year as they are in dire financial straits.  I guess the reason I say this is we should count our blessings, be kind to people and never be afraid to share if we have troubles.  

Christmas is hopefully a time for reflection. Have a great one all.

@Megabear2.

I hope you have a wonderful Celebrity cruise and also a fantastic Britannia cruise in January.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

I access the Radio Times via my library app for free, don’t even have to buy a newspaper.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I access the Radio Times via my library app for free, don’t even have to buy a newspaper.

I buy a newspaper every day. Different one depending on the headlines. I like the ones with suduko. DW likes the one that she can empty the vacuum cleaner into. Unless there is an app for that.  Ooba perhaps🤣

• Haha 1