P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I have just noticed that the adverts appearing on my phone are now in Spanish, presumably the  CC system knows I am cruising the med.

That happened to me while I was away and I’m still getting some now on my iPad.

• Like 2

Morning to you all.

Hope everyone is well or on the road to recovery.

Where has summer gone? We're back to winter down here, heavy rain and wind.

No plans for today, except stay in and dry!

Have a good week.

• Like 13

It is still lovely up here in the East Mids. this morning, but my son and DIL have just gone to Devon for most of the week, from the sunny north west, and it appears to be raining there, and set to be poor all week!  A shame for all those who love holidaying in the Southwest. (And those who live there at present).

• Like 11

Good morning.

It is sunny here and 15°F at the moment.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend and are looking forward to today.

Nothing planned as Pauline is at work today.

• Like 9

The rain has just arrived here.  The forecast is bleak for today and although not as wet as today the rest of the week is forecasting rain every day.  I guess for now the Spring is over!

Just been looking at the advance forecast for my Queen Anne cruise and it's looking pretty bad weather wise.  I have a distinct feeling I'm going to need three suitcases of clothes to cope with all that nature is planning!  

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

It's strange that you get Spanish adverts and Brian gets nude cruises.  Makes you wonder.😂

• Haha 12

In the lift on Arvia a chap said his wife had been unwell for a few days with covid...thanks a lot. Rapid covering off faces....unclean. DW has had a cold since Sunday. We did a test this morning..solid single red line. That's a relief, I thought I may need to go to the supermarket on my own.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

The rain has just arrived here.  The forecast is bleak for today and although not as wet as today the rest of the week is forecasting rain every day.  I guess for now the Spring is over!

Just been looking at the advance forecast for my Queen Anne cruise and it's looking pretty bad weather wise.  I have a distinct feeling I'm going to need three suitcases of clothes to cope with all that nature is planning!  

Go on Brian's cruise. A single hold all will be fine.🤣

• Haha 8

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, purplesea said:

Morning to you all.

Hope everyone is well or on the road to recovery.

Where has summer gone? We're back to winter down here, heavy rain and wind.

No plans for today, except stay in and dry!

Have a good week.

Summer hasn’t arrived yet still spring, hopefully will appear on schedule in June.😉

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Haha 1

A lot cooler than yesterday’s mid 20s C, currently 15C cloudy with a strong SE breeze, rain due late this afternoon and overnight. 

Committee meeting this afternoon for a couple of hours, then back to looking for a holiday or two for this year, probably land based, but will see if there are decent cruise offers available. 

Last night we binged watch Shardlake on Disney’s Star Channel all 4 episodes in one evening, just under 4 hours of viewing. We enjoyed it, and the performance from disabled actor Arthur Hughes in the role of lawyer Matthew Shardlake was excellent.

Shardlake is based in the books written by the late C J Samson based in the Tudor period. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

It's strange that you get Spanish adverts and Brian gets nude cruises.  Makes you wonder.😂

Takes out all the stress and forum discussions of what to wear on formal nights.

However, you'd definitely have to be 'beach ready' otherwise you still might not be smart enough to enter the MDR!  😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 5/12/2024 at 10:22 AM, Angel57 said:

I agree. It really isn’t a “song” contest now. It’s about everything else!

It's about countries thanking their friends and trying to curry favours. Eukraine gave us nil points..

• Like 2

The postman delivered bad news this morning in the form of a notification of change in use for the neighbouring 5 bedroom house that was sold in February.

The owners (not yet moved in) have applied for planning permission to extend it for use as a care home.  We now have to fill in a form online to explain our objections to the plan.  The people next to us are furious because they think that the extension will mean that the new people will be able to see into their bedroom.  For us it means that our previously very private garden will be visible to the new people so no more nude sunbathing 🤣

I have just filled out the objection form on the council site but I  doubt that it will make a difference.  DH thinks that we should put our bungalow up for sale and move out of the area so he is now busy looking at estate agents and has already arranged for 2 agents to come and give us valuations next week. 🤔

• Like 8

Sorry to hear that, Josy.  I can really sympathise, as I had a really nasty scheme planned by  my neighbours which would have made my life a misery. Luckily with a lot of hard work it got turned down.  It was not even going to go to the Planning Committee, but just been pushed through.  Yours will certainly have to go before the Committee, and no doubt there will be quite a few objectors. If you all get together with really good reasons why it should not be allowed you may succeed - it is not a very large house at present, so would need a very big extension to make it worth doing.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

The postman delivered bad news this morning in the form of a notification of change in use for the neighbouring 5 bedroom house that was sold in February.

The owners (not yet moved in) have applied for planning permission to extend it for use as a care home.  We now have to fill in a form online to explain our objections to the plan.  The people next to us are furious because they think that the extension will mean that the new people will be able to see into their bedroom.  For us it means that our previously very private garden will be visible to the new people so no more nude sunbathing 🤣

I have just filled out the objection form on the council site but I  doubt that it will make a difference.  DH thinks that we should put our bungalow up for sale and move out of the area so he is now busy looking at estate agents and has already arranged for 2 agents to come and give us valuations next week. 🤔

Oh Josy I really feel for you. Its not just the fact re privacy etc its all the increase in traffic, staff cars, ambulances, doctors, hairdressers plus visitors. Is it in the same cul de sac or on a different road with plenty of parking? 

• Like 4

Rain has cleared away and although it is still windy the sun has reappeared.🙂

I had no plans for today, but have booked another cruise for the end of the year, on Arcadia. I am looking forward to it, especially as I haven't been on her before. 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I have just noticed that the adverts appearing on my phone are now in Spanish

I always like to say "mucho" when I am around Spanish people, it means a lot to them.

Another sunny hot day here, we did have a dribble of rain last night but it didn't even water the garden. It is supposed to break tomorrow, but hey ho, can't take away what we have had. 

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

Oh Josy I really feel for you. Its not just the fact re privacy etc its all the increase in traffic, staff cars, ambulances, doctors, hairdressers plus visitors. Is it in the same cul de sac or on a different road with plenty of parking? 

Same cul-de-sac.  

We are in the worst position because it is L shaped and we are in the corner of the L so the side of the house involved is next to our front garden.  There is currently  a 12 ft high conifer hedge inside their garden but the plans show that it will be removed so that they can put a path between the extrension and our 6ft high fence.

The people in the house in the street below us have told DH that they have also filled in the form to the council because it will affect their privacy too.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Same cul-de-sac.  

Really?? I can't see how it could possibly get passed, surely the council would need to look at the parking situation. Its not just a house having an extension, its a business in a residential area. I'm going to get on my soap box in a minute.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

I don’t see ads whilst away from home, as my vpn switches on automatically and blocks them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Really?? I can't see how it could possibly get passed, surely the council would need to look at the parking situation. Its not just a house having an extension, its a business in a residential area. I'm going to get on my soap box in a minute.

We have the ex-Lord Mayor living in our street but he says that it is a conflict of interest for him so he can't get involved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

We have the ex-Lord Mayor living in our street but he says that it is a conflict of interest for him so he can't get involved.

If he is an ex-mayor, then how is it a conflict of interests if he is no longer in office? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

If he is an ex-mayor, then how is it a conflict of interests if he is no longer in office? 

I don’t know what the regulations are in England but up here some posts are politically restricted for a period of time, even after holding and leaving office / a senior post.

I wouldn’t think it would apply if he has been out of office for quite a while.

I sorry to hear this Josy and hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1