P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Good Morning,

It's very quiet on here this morning, hope everyone is well.

It's raining, misty, breezy and very muggy, with heavier rain is due in later. Not a nice day at all.

My daughter's dog has just frigtened the sea gull that comes knocking on our door, so hopefully it will get the message!

Hope you all have a good weekend.

You dog frightened him all the way down to Weymouth.

20240718_134037.jpg

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 7

Good morning.

It was a humid 22°C last night.

It is a little fresher this morning at 18°C and partly sunny with 40% chance of rain at lunchtime.

I hope everyone has a nice day and weekend.

• Like 6

I renewed our car insurance today and after being with LV for many years we have changed to the same company!! We have saved 35% basically staying with the same company but going through LVs parent company Allianz which I found through an online comparison web site, I haven't used a comparison site for a while as LV were always fairly competitive until the last couple of years. However after the 20% increase this year I did look again and came up with Allianz, on their website it states:

This insurance is sold, underwritten and administered by Liverpool Victoria Insurance Company Limited, which is an Allianz Group company

• Like 7

A warm day here but it is very grey and cloudy.  I am supposed to be bowling this afternoon so I am desperately hoping that I am on early or that the expected rain  holds off until after 5pm.

For those of you off on a cruise today have a great time.

• Like 5

Warm and a bit humid here today, though not as hot.  I had my (silent) fan last night in the bedroom again, as I can't leave a window open.  It is certainly a 'boon'.

Haring about the aftermath of yesterday's internet fiasco, I was no doubt silly to think it might affect my laptop, but the reports did just say things 'if you suddenly get the blue screen of death', which presumably only applied to the companies, and poor old NHS, who used this particular  company for their security.  This was not made clear for all the  Luddites like me who thought maybe if they went into the app. for their GP it could happen to them.  Or am I the only simpleton?  Now of course all the scammers are trying to have a go at those who need to be rebooted properly!    It is ruining a lot of holiday arrangements, which is a great shame.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I renewed our car insurance today and after being with LV for many years we have changed to the same company!! We have saved 35% basically staying with the same company but going through LVs parent company Allianz which I found through an online comparison web site, I haven't used a comparison site for a while as LV were always fairly competitive until the last couple of years. However after the 20% increase this year I did look again and came up with Allianz, on their website it states:

This insurance is sold, underwritten and administered by Liverpool Victoria Insurance Company Limited, which is an Allianz Group company

My partner's renewal quote from Direct Line was 70% higher than last year! Just renewed with AA for half the cost! 

• Like 4

Hello from the home of racing!  Jeepers what a few days these have been but here I am to cheer on my boy!  It's been quite a few days, the hectic dash home last night followed by a game of shall I shan't I but here I am loyal to the last.  Come on my boy, make my day Decoy!!!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Hello from the home of racing!  Jeepers what a few days these have been but here I am to cheer on my boy!  It's been quite a few days, the hectic dash home last night followed by a game of shall I shan't I but here I am loyal to the last.  Come on my boy, make my day Decoy!!!

Running on well at the end without ever looking like troubling the first two. Seems to struggle with the early pace recently and still think he’s worth a go at 9/10 furlongs.

32 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

Running on well at the end without ever looking like troubling the first two. Seems to struggle with the early pace recently and still think he’s worth a go at 9/10 furlongs.

A creditable run but in lower company. Glad to see him still competing after some pretty poor runs.  I think my dear old friend is like me, getting caught by the youngsters.  Still has entries at Goodwood and York but a few of us think he might prefer some smaller easier runs toget his confidence back up.  I'd agree a bit longer might be worth the try but I guess the trainer thinks otherwise.  

Whatever he does he really tries, bless him! Incidentally yesterday was the first run for my two year old colt Invincible Love - I had shares in his mum and carried on when she went to stud.  Sadly I couldn't be there but even though it wasn't a winning debut I was very proud to see him from birth to his first run.

I'm now on another many miles journey home down the M11, M25 and M3.  I will need that week in Italy at the beginning of August to recuperate from the last few days!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I had a similar experience this week with car insurance, Direct Line, who we have been with for 8 years sent a renewal quote that 55% higher than last year.  I rang them to ask why the premium had increased so much and apparently it is because we have both passed our 70th birthday.  I rang the AA and got a quote for exactly the same cover at only £10 more than last year.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

So sad to hear of the passing of Ray Reardon. A remarkable snooker legend and a true gentleman. 

R.I.P Dracula.

Avril

Always loved watching him, and he was also very witty. His personal life wasn’t plain sailing though! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

So sad to hear of the passing of Ray Reardon. A remarkable snooker legend and a true gentleman. 

R.I.P Dracula.

Avril

He was a good friend to my late dad when he was a PC.  RIP Ray Stoke misses you xx

• Like 8

We had a good bowls match this afternoon, we won the match 184 to 110 maintaining our lead in the league, our 2nd team lost 157 to 148 but they were away on a very difficult green, they have stayed at 3rd in the league so as a club we are doing brilliantly at the moment.

I just hope that we can keep it up for the next 11 weeks until the end of the season.

• Like 5

Morning another bright and sunny day here ,the dark clouds came and went

without any rainfall,so we had a nice few hours in the garden,very peaceful it was .

On the subject of car insurance ,I'm glad to read a couple of you managed to

get a better price for your cover .

Some time ago we were with Churchill and one year out of the blue gave us a

quote that was a bit expensive .

On a comparison site was Churchill giving me a quote that was a lot cheaper .

I rang them up but they would not budge if I went with them direct, So ended up 

going through the Comparison site to save money staying with them .

They can be an odd lot at times .

Several things have helped to bring my insurance down ,like taking off occupation

of driving ,also taking off commute and lowering my annual mileage from 10k

down to 4k now we are retired. One that seemed to help lower was to insure

the car at market value .How many folk out there insure a car years after for 

the showroom price year in year out ? If the car got written off they would only

pay out market value anyway .

Hope you all have a nice day -Take care .

• Like 8

Morning everyone,

After a very wet, rainy day yesterday the sun is trying to get out again, so perhaps I'll get out into the garden with the new book I bought yesterday.😊

The good thing about the amount of rain yesterday was that we didn't need to water the garden.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 5

A cloudy day with some sunny spells, currently 20C.

After yesterday’s IKEA flat pack desk assembly half day, my sore knees have recovered. Old desk taken in pieces to RCC.

Scraped moss off our top of garden “patio” as well as remove weeds from between slabs putting my Gardena telescopic handle to good use with scraper attached, less back breaking than doing it kneeling down.

Sown the last crop of spring onions and last crop of green beans, just final cop of beetroot to sow.

Ordered next years seeds as they are in a half price sale.

Will mow the lawn this afternoon, still wet in parts but should dry out in the next hour.

Should have first crop of tomatoes next week if weather keeps warm.

• Like 2

Hi all,here we are at PI LGW again for our 9.30 am flight to Dalaman to pick up Marella Discovery.Time for early PI brekkie tomorrow.They say things come in 3s,baggage handlers strike called off at the last minute,the IT meltdown and Marilyn waking up with her back in spasm this morning.After a shedload of antiinflammatories and tiger balm it's manageable now.Fingers crossed she's OK in the morning,cheers,Brian.

• Like 13