P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just now, Josy1953 said:

I am very easy to please with food and will try anything but I detest coriander, coconut and beef.

Oh dear, I understand that the visual Christmas lunch mains, were to be Beef and Coriander Roast, with a Coconut Dew, suggest you have a word with  the Chef, she may be prepared to do a vegetarian option-- a carrot! freshly dug and hand washed in water from the glaciers, imported via the human system and deposited in the out houses in Barnsley, and left to ferment for seven days, until clear!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We both do -- every restaurant no matter how posh and every cruise line. The staff think it is amusing . I think they think we are potty !!! (If you excuse the word). The saddest thing is to go to our factory shops and struggle to find anything made locally. 😞 

We do the same. It is a shame that the products that gave the Potteries it’s name are now made all over the world as well as in Stoke but very much a sign of the times. At least there are not hundreds of pottery ‘bottle’ kilns all polluting the air any longer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Apparently German Industry have flagged up to their politicos that 460,000 German jobs could go. I didn't realise the 30% of the cod that is used in British chippies comes frozen from Iceland, the country not the shop. A trade deal with Norway and Iceland is signed. 57 trade deals are already signed. It was always said that any deal with EU would not be agreed til the last minute. Lots of good news out there.

Ah! memories. It was on the old Thomson Spirit in Reykjavik. I was having a coffee and biscuit in the buffet and a women nearby was on her mobile, the conversation went like this " No I can't get you the local paper on the way home  .............no, sorry I am in Iceland ......... NO, ICELAND THE COUNTRY" 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Ah! fish in the olden days. A day trip to Silloth, guess where that is, depending on the tide the Solway shrimp boats came in and they used to boil up a supply onboard so you could buy them direct on the quayside. Or to the shop and buy them shelled by rusty maidens ( it rains a lot in the lake district) 🤤

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2020 at 10:46 AM, AnnieC said:

Eldest daughter staying put in Newcastle and entertaining her mother-in-law (who has my deepest sympathy, as eldest daughter and husband are, by no stretch of the imagination, able to cook).😂

On 12/13/2020 at 10:57 AM, kalos said:

I will have to dust off The "Kalos Christmas Cookery " book off to help the poor souls out :classic_unsure:

Just in case anyone is stressing about Christmas Day..............!        1047432874_DocumentcrispTurkey.jpg.e55e889c0af5d6dd9f4883b61cad90f7.jpg
Christmas Dinner....
I have concluded that the inevitable stress of Christmas dinner is created by adverts, supermarkets and TV chefs...
It's a Sunday dinner for goodness sake!!! We do it quite happily 51 weeks of the year but can we the consumers be trusted to manage by ourselves on one day of the year...apparently not!

Well you can ,it's not rocket science !

1. Turkey... It's a big  chicken that's all, 20 minutes per lb plus 20 minutes at 180 degrees - jobs a good un! Get yourselves a meat thermometer £3 off the Internet poke it in the offending bird if it says 75 degrees or over ..its cooked!

2. Stuffing - regardless of what Jamie Oliver says you do NOT need 2lbs of shoulder of pork,

onions breadcrumbs ,pine nuts and a  load of fresh herbs to make stuffing....

( no  wonder he's bankrupt if that's what he spends to make stuffing!):classic_unsure:
What you need is a packet of Paxo and a kettle!! If you wanna liven it up squeeze 3 sausages out of their skins and mix that in with your Paxo before cooking .

3. Gravy - Jamie Oliver is copping for this one as well....
Bisto Jamie.... All you need is Bisto! Turkey flavour if you like .
I ( nor any other person I know) has got time on Christmas Eve to faff  about roasting

chicken wings and vegetables, adding stock and flour ,cooking it for another half hour,

mashing it all up with a potato masher and then straining the whole sorry mess to make gravy ...

.. It's not happening !

4. Vegetables... Never mind faffing round shredding sprouts and frying them with bacon and chestnuts to make them more palatable...

If you don't like them don't buy and cook the dam things!!

If your family only eats frozen peas then that's good enough! Wannabe posh ?
Then consider Can -o -Peas  ! :classic_love:

5. Roast potatoes... Yes I par boil mine then roast them in goose fat but.....

Aunt Bessie also does the same .

6. Trimmings /Christmas pudding and the like.... Aldi or Lidl !
(oh and while we're on the subject of pudding- if birds custard is what your family likes on the wretched thing then that's fine -

you do not need brandy butter /rum sauce etc or anything else that costs a hell of  fortune

and takes 2 hours to make! or the need of a fire extinguisher on standby !
7. Family....

Children.. Feed the little blighters first separately, if they only want turkey with tomato ketchup

- fine leave them to it, it doesn't matter. Once they are fed send  them off to play with their

Christmas presents so that YOU can enjoy your dinner in Peace! :classic_smile:

Adults... Anyone that can manage to get their sorry rump to your dinner table is also capable

of helping to serve up/ sort the kids out/ clear the table /wash up /dry up etc.

And Finally.....
NO ONE.... And I mean no one APART FROM THE COOK IS ALLOWED TO GET SOZZLED AND FALL ASLEEP BEFORE THE WASHING UP IS DONE!!!

Oh and apart from that ... 

Bon Appetit & Merry Christmas!               x.jpg.311b127d7cf04a149889f459d20ef220.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 8

37 minutes ago, kalos said:

NO ONE.... And I mean no one APART FROM THE COOK IS ALLOWED TO GET SOZZLED AND FALL ASLEEP BEFORE THE WASHING UP IS DONE!!!

I assume you are the cook then kalos😁The rule in our house is the cook cooks(that would be me😉) and everyone else washes up and clears away. On the topic of sprouts, we love them. when the children were young they wouldn't touch them, so I would mash them with butter and a little pepper and they wolfed them down. I now serve two at types at christmas, whole or mashed , definitely not shredded and fried

Avril

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I assume you are the cook then kalos😁The rule in our house is the cook cooks(that would be me😉) and everyone else washes up and clears away. On the topic of sprouts, we love them. when the children were young they wouldn't touch them, so I would mash them with butter and a little pepper and they wolfed them down. I now serve two at types at christmas, whole or mashed , definitely not shredded and fried

Avril

Xmas day lunch wouldn't be the same without Turkey and nice big sprouts.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Every year for over forty years but I've been put out to grass this year and 

as it's just the two of us the more than capable Mrs Kalos will be head chef this year .

Funny how you can get foods people hate /dislike  but as for as sprouts are concerned 

I just love them and happily eat them all year round .

My favourite meal is the Boxing day with cold turkey and other cold meat cuts served with 

home made chips various pickles peas and any spare sprouts that are on the go .:classic_love:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

as it's just the two of us the more than capable Mrs Kalos will be head chef this year .

Funny how you can get foods people hate /dislike  but as for as sprouts are concerned 

My favourite meal is the Boxing day with cold turkey and other cold meat cuts served with 

home made chips various pickles peas and any spare sprouts that are on the go .:classic_love:

Im not having the Sprouts... Devil's food... 

Our Boxing day is similar, but with mash rather than chips. 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

We have Bubble and Squeak made with all the leftover veg served with cold turkey, pork pie and any cold meats that are in the fridge, homemade piccalilli and  beetroot. Sometimes I enjoy the Boxing Day make-do dinner better than the Christmas one.

Avril

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think it’s too late to stockpile now, as it’ll turn into panic buying. 

I’ve been buying a few extra items for months when stocks were plentiful, so I now have supplies in the house, if it all goes a bit crazy.

I’ve prepared in the same way for each ‘no deal’ deadline. When it didn’t happen, I ate my supplies, and then started again for the next deadline.

I feel cross that I feel it is necessary to take this action. 

But on the other hand I was pleased to have taken this action, as I didn’t have to worry about shopping in March, and vindicated from the sneers of the Project Fear brigade, as we have learned that it doesn’t take much for a panic to start. 

We have done the same for the last 2 years, especially some of the gluten free stuff my wife needs which is made in Italy, we discovered them when we get some g/f snacks when in Rome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

That is so very true, Avril. 

Apart from rickets, polio, TB, measles, terrible infant mortality rates, etc. 

My mother was a school nurse and also worked in post natal clinics in the 50s and 60s. Ask her about the "Good old days" and be prepared to be told the truth of the matter.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We are having a nice piece of Wagu beef. Turkey is just basically a big dried out chicken!

All I can say is there is people who know how cook a Turkey , then there's them who don't .

Never ate a dried out Turkey yet .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

My mother was a school nurse and also worked in post natal clinics in the 50s and 60s. Ask her about the "Good old days" and be prepared to be told the truth of the matter.

There were a few million servicemen who didn't find the WW2 years particularly healthy, at least those poor souls that are still in France.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

All I can say is there is people who know how cook a Turkey , then there's them who don't .

Never ate a dried out Turkey yet .

My Mum used to put her turkey in the oven on a low heat about 11pm on Christmas Eve.  Waking up on Christmas morning to the smell of turkey is one of my fondest childhood memories.  

I agree turkey can be cooked so that the meat is moist, but when there are only two of you, there are only so many turkey  curries that you can eat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

My Mum used to put her turkey in the oven on a low heat about 11pm on Christmas Eve.  Waking up on Christmas morning to the smell of turkey is one of my fondest childhood memories.  

I agree turkey can be cooked so that the meat is moist, but when there are only two of you, there are only so many turkey  curries that you can eat.

Turkey Crowns mate they're the future :classic_smile:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I heard this some time ago. A mother was explaining how she got her little lad to eat sprouts, he hated them but loved peas. So she told him that the sprouts were hairy peas, now he loves them , simple eh! 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I never mentioned 'the good old days' All I said was that during WW2 people were much healthier than they are today.  Try googling www.nutrition.org.uk>wartimefood. It even mentions  the declining infant mortality rates, and be prepared to read the truth of the matter. 

Avril

Edited by Adawn47