P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Unless you picked up £50k of orders, you could have stayed at home!

Glad you had a good day out, but as previously mentioned,  you are not really working. 

Good luck to you, glad you still have a job. Not exactly the same as sweating in Asda House or Cheshunt, hoping for a listing! 

Hi Wowzz.

I understand you retired to Spain when you were 50.FIFTY!!.

Pleased for you.

My customers begged me to stay when I was going to retire 6 years ago.

I am 65 in October and worked non stop since I was almost 17.

I go out and do calls when I want which is almost never as nearly everyone in convenience stores are not wearing masks.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Wowzz.

I understand you retired to Spain when you were 50.FIFTY!!.

Pleased for you.

My customers begged me to stay when I was going to retire 6 years ago.

I am 65 in October and worked non stop since I was almost 17.

I go out and do calls when I want which is almost never as nearly everyone in convenience stores are not wearing masks.

Graham.

I was actually 53 when I moved to Spain. The last few years of my working life I called on  supermarket head offices in the US, Canada, Australia etc. Prior to that I, and my team, called on UK supermarket head offices, agreeing listings, space allocations, product development etc.

Just a totally different environment to calling on individual shops,  although I did do that, back in the 1970s, selling Fairy Liquid, Camay etc to corner co-ops, independents etc.

I'm glad that you are still working, and are enjoying your job.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I was actually 53 when I moved to Spain. The last few years of my working life I called on  supermarket head offices in the US, Canada, Australia etc. Prior to that I, and my team, called on UK supermarket head offices, agreeing listings, space allocations, product development etc.

Just a totally different environment to calling on individual shops,  although I did do that, back in the 1970s, selling Fairy Liquid, Camay etc to corner co-ops, independents etc.

I'm glad that you are still working, and are enjoying your job.

I used to look after cash and carry and wholesalers for over 15 years with a previous company.

Your job sounded interesting and travelling all over the world too.

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Your job sounded interesting and travelling all over the world too.

Sounds good, but constant jet lag, plus driving around the various production sites in the UK, takes its' toll. 

So, I got out whilst I could still enjoy life. Financially I am much worse off than if I had kept  working,  but , then I'd never had those years living the life of a Spanish peasant! 

In my dotage I will have no regrets.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sounds good, but constant jet lag, plus driving around the various production sites in the UK, takes its' toll. 

So, I got out whilst I could still enjoy life. Financially I am much worse off than if I had kept  working,  but , then I'd never had those years living the life of a Spanish peasant! 

In my dotage I will have no regrets.

You are so right.  I spent my working life travelling the world to production sites analysing their IT needs and then  installing systems that we built to meet the needs.  Working for a French company meant that a lot of the time at meetings we would be speaking French because it was the language that all international meetings were supposed to be held in.  Between the jet lag and working in a foreign language I was more than happy to retire at 55.  I have no regrets because I saw so many places that I would never have seen otherwise and it was real life that I saw in those places rather than the sanitised life  that we see as tourists.

I was lucky in that I got an excellent pension which is actually more than some of my friends were earning working full time. 

A lot of people  thought that  travelling abroad  meant that I was on a permanent holiday 🤣🤣

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Well, you say that. I’ve booked train tickets to Edinburgh and hubby and I haven’t been given seats next to each other due to social distancing 🙄 I’m hoping when we get there he can sit in the ‘empty’ seat next to me!

TFL is a different kettle of fish.Sardines spring to mind.Buses are supposed to limit but seems it's down to driver discretion.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thousands of commuters into London every day, with no spikes. Trying to prove a negative is not easy! You are becoming a little paranoid Harry !

Do thousands travel in every day? People I know who work in London are still working from home. Also others say central London is very quiet.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Good news for those itching to get away (and for all of us in the long run) -  there’s more choice of overseas destinations. Don’t like Simon Calder’s comment though - he mentions the  ‘key locations’ now open such as the Balearic Islands but ends with ‘And a number of highly irrelevant places’. Rather arrogant turn of phrase. 

I’ve mentioned before Simon Calder’s getting on my wick this year! He was urging everyone to travel months before it was allowed.

Just read this morning prices for flights to the Balearics have doubled 🙄 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

TFL is a different kettle of fish.Sardines spring to mind.Buses are supposed to limit but seems it's down to driver discretion.

Possibly but I’m still confused why I need to be socially distanced from my husband 😂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Do thousands travel in every day? People I know who work in London are still working from home. Also others say central London is very quiet.

The latest figures that I have found for TFL appear to show that current passenger numbers for the tube are around 50% of "normal", with a 60% figure for buses. Taking into account that there are virtually no tourists in London currently,  so non-peak journeys will be down dramatically,  plus a reduced service, it wouid appear the the rush hour is still pretty busy.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

We live at the end of the District line and from Barking onwards it gets pretty manic with building workers and all sorts.Even at off peak hours.To be honest we feel pretty bullet proof at the moment.I know that others will disagree but everyone is different.

Good morning hope everyone's happy  :classic_smile: Busy morning for me off to the dentist

now they are open again . Nice reading about our salesmen  and what they got up

to before retiring .  I knew a young woman who worked in our local shop and she fell

in love with the ginger ale salesman that used to call by ....

Fair to say she was Schwepped off her feet by him .:classic_love:

Have a good day , take care .:classic_smile:

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The latest figures that I have found for TFL appear to show that current passenger numbers for the tube are around 50% of "normal", with a 60% figure for buses. Taking into account that there are virtually no tourists in London currently,  so non-peak journeys will be down dramatically,  plus a reduced service, it wouid appear the the rush hour is still pretty busy.  

To be honest we haven't noticed a reduced service.We never wait more than 10 minutes for a train,even off peak.Buses are also frequent.

7 minutes ago, brian1 said:

To be honest we haven't noticed a reduced service.We never wait more than 10 minutes for a train,even off peak.Buses are also frequent.

How busy are you finding it, Brian?

Good morning everyone.

I couldn't log in yesterday but CC managed a 'fix' on the glitch so normal service is resumed today.

What have I got to tell you? Well, London IS very quiet at the moment. My family did the whole London experience last weekend. Oxford Street, Regent Street, King's Cross,  Kensington et al. Easy to travel, easy to eat and have coffees, Selfridges seemed to have more staff than customers. The bad news though is a lot of formerly well-established names on the high street have closed their doors for good. Sad.

I had a very unpleasant experience on Tuesday in the surgery. A man who wanted to register with the practice, and who was very drunk and threatening, was incredibly abusive to the Reception Team and it was left to me to remove him from the premises. I'm too old for this now! I managed to talk him out of doing harm to us, or the premises, and he promised to come back when he's sober. I hope he doesn't. 

Teddy is fully healed and recovered and I'm now waiting to hear if the insurance will pay out.

42 sleeps until my cruise on MSC with my girls and only 2 sleeps for some of our friends on here. So excited for you and wish you a lovely time.

A message for Graham and Pauline: Thanks for the fab photos from Keswick and how come you both stay so slim with all that wonderful food? 

Have a great weekend everyone. Be well and safe. Best wishes to you all. Jane.x

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Unless you picked up £50k of orders, you could have stayed at home!

Glad you had a good day out, but as previously mentioned,  you are not really working. 

Good luck to you, glad you still have a job. Not exactly the same as sweating in Asda House or Cheshunt, hoping for a listing! 

That was harsh wowzz!

Graham is happy living his life his way,  and if you're happy with the way you're living yours, that's good too. Were all dance to our own tune. 

Avril

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good morning everyone.

I couldn't log in yesterday but CC managed a 'fix' on the glitch so normal service is resumed today.

What have I got to tell you? Well, London IS very quiet at the moment. My family did the whole London experience last weekend. Oxford Street, Regent Street, King's Cross,  Kensington et al. Easy to travel, easy to eat and have coffees, Selfridges seemed to have more staff than customers. The bad news though is a lot of formerly well-established names on the high street have closed their doors for good. Sad.

I had a very unpleasant experience on Tuesday in the surgery. A man who wanted to register with the practice, and who was very drunk and threatening, was incredibly abusive to the Reception Team and it was left to me to remove him from the premises. I'm too old for this now! I managed to talk him out of doing harm to us, or the premises, and he promised to come back when he's sober. I hope he doesn't. 

Teddy is fully healed and recovered and I'm now waiting to hear if the insurance will pay out.

42 sleeps until my cruise on MSC with my girls and only 2 sleeps for some of our friends on here. So excited for you and wish you a lovely time.

A message for Graham and Pauline: Thanks for the fab photos from Keswick and how come you both stay so slim with all that wonderful food? 

Oh dear, that was an unpleasant experience for you Jane. If someone behaves like that can the practice refuse to treat him or take him on as a patient?

So pleased to hear Teddy recovered. Has he got used to not having steak every day?

Gill x

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ann141 said:

I have been to The lakes today too including a wander around Bowness where your favourite hotel is We also paddled in Coniston water and visited Grasmere.Lovely sunshine.Think it will change tomorrow for when we arrive in Scotland

Sounds like you had a great time yesterday Ann.

I hope you avoid the rain in Scotland as it has been raining all night and still raining now in Sunderland.

Graham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good morning everyone.

Thanks Jane.

I am 14 stone and exercised regularly before my heart attack in December 2019.

I cut out almost all saturated fat including chocolate,cakes etc after my HA  and after our nice fish and chips etc lunches out  we are careful what we eat the rest of the day.

Graham x 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sounds like you had a great time yesterday Ann.

I hope you avoid the rain in Scotland as it has been raining all night and still raining now in Sunderland.

Graham

Weather is the same here but our gardens needed it, hardly any proper rainfall for weeks and our water butts were empty.

It's set to dry up again tomorrow and for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Weather is the same here but our gardens needed it, hardly any proper rainfall for weeks and our water butts were empty.

It's set to dry up again tomorrow and for the foreseeable future.

Same in HD8 area, the rain we have had has just wet the surface, pots have still needed watering. Nowt much forecast next week too.