Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

9 minutes ago, MNgardens said:

Tom47, my heart aches for your family. CF is tough! Once you have your second shot will you be able to start visiting with them again? Or perhaps you have been in a bubble with them?

I have organ donor on my DL. I feel very strongly about that.

To the readers in the UK:  Do you have a similar system where it is easy to indicate your wishes regarding organ donation on your driving license?

Thanks MNG.  We haven't seen them since our 50th anniversary cruise was cancelled,about a year ago.  They live in North Carolina and we live in WNY.  My daughter just got a first shot, others still waiting.  We have rebooked a 52nd anniversary cruise in 2022 on RCI.

9 hours ago, MNgardens said:

One year ago today my daughter became symptomatic with Covid, most likely from a tourist visiting where she lives. Fortunately she works outdoors and her coworkers did not catch it from her. Less fortunately is that she is now a long term Covid patient. Her lungs are functioning at 40% and they hurt every day.

She was24 at the time.

Please encourage all travelers and family members to take the vaccination. This virus causes such random damage.

Stay safe.

7 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Our daughter is a long hauler too. She likely contracted it in February,2020.. At that time she thought it was the flu, and practically no one was being tested for COVID. It wasn’t until at least a month later that she was tested (positive). It’s been a very long year for her. Extreme fatigue, cardiac issues, etc. She can no longer even smell onions or garlic without severe nausea. She was 42. She will be getting her first vaccine on 3/24. I’m getting my second on 3/19 and my spouse is now fully vaccinated. I hope everyone who can, will do the same.

Betsey

5 hours ago, Tom47 said:

Betsey and MNG, I am so sorry to read about your daughters.  Two of my 3 grandchildren have Cystic Fibrosis, a genetic disease of the lungs and digestive system.  One of them' has a  lung function  at 60% and went as low as 40% at 1 point.  She may well need a lung transplant in the future.  Doctors have told my daughter that if her lung function falls to 30% and they can't  bring it back, she will need a lung transplant.  DW and I are organ donors.  You can do this on your driver's license in most US states.  I urge you to do the same.

DW and I have rec'd 1st  shots.

MNGardens, Mackdogmolly and Tom47,

I am so sorry to read this news from all of you.    This thread has been so quiet for awhile, when I saw new posts, I was hoping for much different news.

MNG and Betsey -  I wish your daughters all the best and hope things improve for them in the future.

Tom, I also wish all the best for your grandchildren and all your family.

My DH and I both got our 2nd doses of Pfizer almost 4 weeks ago.  I am glad to see that things are improving in our area and more of our neighbors are able to get vaccinated.   

Again, wishing all of you and your families well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To answer the question about organ donation in the UK - our system changed in May 2020 so now that you are considered to have agreed to donate your organs unless you have specifically opted out. Of course there are some exclusions, such as those under 18, those lacking mental capacity, people not resident in the UK or have not been resident for a year.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, the mice said:

MNGardens, Mackdogmolly and Tom47,

I am so sorry to read this news from all of you.    This thread has been so quiet for awhile, when I saw new posts, I was hoping for much different news.

MNG and Betsey -  I wish your daughters all the best and hope things improve for them in the future.

Tom, I also wish all the best for your grandchildren and all your family.

My DH and I both got our 2nd doses of Pfizer almost 4 weeks ago.  I am glad to see that things are improving in our area and more of our neighbors are able to get vaccinated.   

Again, wishing all of you and your families well.  

Thanks

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

To answer the question about organ donation in the UK - our system changed in May 2020 so now that you are considered to have agreed to donate your organs unless you have specifically opted out. Of course there are some exclusions, such as those under 18, those lacking mental capacity, people not resident in the UK or have not been resident for a year.

I wish the United States would do this.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

That's great.  I know that system is under consideration in Canada, but I don't think it's law yet.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

That's great.  I know that system is under consideration in Canada, but I don't think it's law yet.

Happily, Nova Scotia just introduced “presumed consent” and we can hope that all provinces/territories will follow suit.

• Like 4

Presumed consent covered England and Wales only.  I am pleased to see from TV adverts that it will also apply in Scotland from 26 March this year.  I have no idea why it was later in Scotland but it may have been to do with timing to get the correct legislation passed here.

• Like 3

On 3/14/2021 at 6:20 PM, MNgardens said:

Betsey, I am really sorry to hear that. This virus is just devastating.  Can I ask if she is being treated at a post covid center or through traditional channels? My daughter lives in a medically under served area of the country. There are no pulmonologists or cardiologists.  We are hoping we can get her into the Mayo because it is not too far from us.

She had her first dose of Pfizer a few days ago. She was a little tired and her arm was sore but no big reaction. Fingers crossed the second dose doesn't kick up a strong reaction like I read about some survivors having.

She at first went to her PCP, who didn’t have a clue what was going on. Finally referred to a cardiologist after episodes of dizziness and tachycardia. She is doing a little better, but it’s unpredictable. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your daughter. You are fortunate to live near the Mayo! My daughter is also in an online group for long haulers. If your daughter is interested, I’m sure I could get info to you.

Betsey

On 3/14/2021 at 10:53 PM, MNgardens said:

Tom47, my heart aches for your family. CF is tough! Once you have your second shot will you be able to start visiting with them again? Or perhaps you have been in a bubble with them?

I have organ donor on my DL. I feel very strongly about that.

To the readers in the UK:  Do you have a similar system where it is easy to indicate your wishes regarding organ donation on your driving license?

So sorry to hear about your grandchildren, Tom47! They will be in my thoughts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

So sorry to hear about your grandchildren, Tom47! They will be in my thoughts.

Thanks.  Both are currently ok, thanks to a revolutionary new drug, Trikafta, that repairs the defective gene. But the oldest still gets lung infections, only not as often. The younger one's lung function went up to 100% and no hospital stays since starting Trikafta(18 months). 

• Like 1

Tom:  I hadn't heard of that medication. It's a modern miracle. Wow!

Betsey: My daughter did read a bunch of online groups early on. I don't think she has lately probably from a mixture of feeling like she wasn't as bad off (pre lung function test) and and trying to stay positive. She has been able to keep working with some accommodations but toughing it out on a daily basis got her to the point where she was wanting answers. None of us thought the lungs would be as bad as they are. She is the healthiest looking sick person.

It's a lot to process.

In other news- the weather outside is a semi tropical 48 degrees (9 degrees C for the rest of the world.) The snow is melting and I am starting to believe winter is on its way out. I have always had spring bulbs but last fall I had my young neighbor plant over 200 more, mostly daffs and crocus because the squirrels have been taking the tulips. I can't wait to see what it looks like.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MNgardens said:

Tom:  I hadn't heard of that medication. It's a modern miracle. Wow!

Betsey: My daughter did read a bunch of online groups early on. I don't think she has lately probably from a mixture of feeling like she wasn't as bad off (pre lung function test) and and trying to stay positive. She has been able to keep working with some accommodations but toughing it out on a daily basis got her to the point where she was wanting answers. None of us thought the lungs would be as bad as they are. She is the healthiest looking sick person.

It's a lot to process.

In other news- the weather outside is a semi tropical 48 degrees (9 degrees C for the rest of the world.) The snow is melting and I am starting to believe winter is on its way out. I have always had spring bulbs but last fall I had my young neighbor plant over 200 more, mostly daffs and crocus because the squirrels have been taking the tulips. I can't wait to see what it looks like.

Glad to hear she is doing better. Re spring, the sap is running here in Vermont and DH has tapped our one sugar maple, which last year produced over a gallon of syrup! Can’t wait for summer.

Betsey 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Glad to hear she is doing better. Re spring, the sap is running here in Vermont and DH has tapped our one sugar maple, which last year produced over a gallon of syrup! Can’t wait for summer.

Betsey 

Love Maple Syrup, how much sap do you need to extract to make a gallon of syrup?

Can you tap a tree every year or do you after give them a rest?.

13 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Betsey 

That is certainly excellent  production from one tree! Do you boil it off outside?

Our local conservation area runs a maple syrup shack utilizing both traditional and more modern techniques.

It is primarily an educational operation for children, so I don’t know if it will operate this spring given the pandemic rules.

Now is an excellent opportunity for me to once again mention my crusade to replace the nondescript “syrup” provided at Azamara breakfasts with the real thing. Of course, given our unique “terroir” I would prefer an Ontario product but my open mindedness would allow products from Vermont or Quebec. 😄

Surely,  just as for wines, we should expect this standard from a Premium line!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nordski said:

That is certainly excellent  production from one tree! Do you boil it off outside?

Our local conservation area runs a maple syrup shack utilizing both traditional and more modern techniques.

It is primarily an educational operation for children, so I don’t know if it will operate this spring given the pandemic rules.

Now is an excellent opportunity for me to once again mention my crusade to replace the nondescript “syrup” provided at Azamara breakfasts with the real thing. Of course, given our unique “terroir” I would prefer an Ontario product but my open mindedness would allow products from Vermont or Quebec. 😄

I agree, the stuff they serve on Azamara and in many restaurants is a poor substitute.

We always buy the real thing, in the UK it is usually Canadian and quite expensive.

25 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I agree, the stuff they serve on Azamara and in many restaurants is a poor substitute.

We always buy the real thing, in the UK it is usually Canadian and quite expensive.

Well, done! And I suspect the initial high price is not helped by the cost of shipping the rather heavy product to Yorkshire.

But I have been told that the Vermont version is equally good if not better. There are respected posters on this forum who, I believe, will hold that opinion. 😄

Edited by nordski
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

Yep.  I've often that that maple syrup is the perfect gift to give people when I'm travelling abroad.  But it's tough because it's a liquid.  Maple sugar candy is a substitute, but not quite the same when you try to use it on pancakes!  I too prefer the Ontario syrup but Quebec has a the largest production in the world I believe.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 8:59 AM, Bloodaxe said:

Love Maple Syrup, how much sap do you need to extract to make a gallon of syrup?

Can you tap a tree every year or do you after give them a rest?.

Hi Bloodaxe. It’s 35-40 gallons of sap for 1 gallon of syrup. As long as the tree is healthy, can tap every year. We have four on our very mature sugar maple. With a small operation like ours, we probably spend more producing it than buying it, but it’s fun and a welcome sign of spring. Little Vermont produces the most maple syrup in the country. We lag only behind Canada.

Betsey

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 10:21 AM, nordski said:

I like Canadian syrup as well! In fact, before the borders closed, we used to get  sugar on snow every March at Montreal’s Atwater Market - along with forays to local sugar houses as well. DH uses a Louisiana fish cooker (which uses propane) and boils mostly outside. When it starts to smell good, finishes off on the stove.

I agree about what they call syrup on Azamara. Would never use it.

Betsey

• Like 2

15 hours ago, midwestchick said:

I want to stop following this thread and I’ve forgotten how.  Help please.

To stop following a topic, go to your profile (top right of page) click on your name, then on ‘Manage Followed Content’. This brings up a box headed ‘Topics I follow’. Look for the topic you want to change and click on ‘Change Preference’ to find the unfollow button.