Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

Lovely pics, thank you Werangles.

Many fun days on Gorleston Beach as both a child and adult.  We lived in Oulton Broad (Mum still does) having moved from Caister in 1965.  

Can’t wait for lockdown to end to pop over to see Mum who unfortunately suffers from dementia.  Happy memories, thank you again.

Regards

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, royallondon said:

Lovely pics, thank you Werangles.

Many fun days on Gorleston Beach as both a child and adult.  We lived in Oulton Broad (Mum still does) having moved from Caister in 1965.  

Can’t wait for lockdown to end to pop over to see Mum who unfortunately suffers from dementia.  Happy memories, thank you again.

Regards

Our children did too.  I am very tempted to buy one of beach huts.  We are in Blundeston.  DH was Harbour Master at OB for a few years and we used to moor our boat there also.  Small world!

16 minutes ago, Werangels said:

Our children did too.  I am very tempted to buy one of beach huts.  We are in Blundeston.  DH was Harbour Master at OB for a few years and we used to moor our boat there also.  Small world!

Yes indeed.  We sometimes have a Sunday carvery at Caldecott Hall near to Blundeston when visiting.  
What a lovely office your husband had!  My Father was in “Broadlands” care home for 8 years till his passing last year.  Each week I walk push him down to their mooring and watch the boats glide by,  wonderful. 

Let’s hope cruising soon gets underway (safely) to make new memories.

Regards

• Like 2

Lovely photos. I wish I could get to see that view and breath in the sea air. The nearest I get is saying "Alexa, play continuous ocean sounds". 😉

Boating holidays on the Broads, I really enjoy East Anglia and think if I ever moved from Harpenden I'd buy in Suffolk around Southwold. I guess there is quite a bit of snow there just now?  It's just starting here. ❄️. Stay safe!

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Lovely photos. I wish I could get to see that view and breath in the sea air. The nearest I get is saying "Alexa, play continuous ocean sounds". 😉

Boating holidays on the Broads, I really enjoy East Anglia and think if I ever moved from Harpenden I'd buy in Suffolk around Southwold. I guess there is quite a bit of snow there just now?  It's just starting here. ❄️. Stay safe!

Phil 

Yes, the Beast has arrived.....  In normal times, being so far from ‘civilisation’ has it’s limitations but over the last year we have been very glad of it, as well as all the wonderful beaches on our doorstep.  We had boats for years and spent lots of time on the broads.  It really makes you slow down.  

On 1/27/2021 at 3:31 PM, the mice said:

Glad you are feeling OK.  Definitely worth it - can't wait until February 16 for dose 2.  Hope my DH fares as well after he gets dose one tomorrow.

I did extensive research on York and planned out an entire day, planned walk, places to visit, etc. Railway Museum is on the list. I kept all that info so I can easily update it if my plans include a visit.  And doing it by land from London means we can plan for more than just an 8 hour day visit.   The list of places to see grows ever longer....😉

Have a pint at the "House of The Trembling Madness" while there.  On Stonegate near the Minster.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, midwestchick said:

Haven’t posted here in ages.  Waiting to see if we sail in July. 
I’ve forgotten how to post pictures....helpful hints please.

Write your words, then click on ‘Add Files’ below, choose the photos you want to add from your ‘Photo Library’, click ‘Add’ at the top of the box showing your photos. You should then see the photos at the bottom of your post, with a + on them. You can use the plus to put them where you want by clicking on it.

To stop your photos joining up, once one is added to your post, click underneath it, then hit return before clicking on the + in the next photo - that makes sure there is a gap between them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Write your words, then click on ‘Add Files’ below, choose the photos you want to add from your ‘Photo Library’, click ‘Add’ at the top of the box showing your photos. You should then see the photos at the bottom of your post, with a + on them. You can use the plus to put them where you want by clicking on it.

To stop your photos joining up, once one is added to your post, click underneath it, then hit return before clicking on the + in the next photo - that makes sure there is a gap between them.

I really enjoyed the photos and videos of the winter beach and the one from Devon. I had done a year of university in Exeter so the area is close to my heart. I am so ready to get out into the world and to experience different cultures and landscapes.

Where I live the lakes are so frozen that people drive on them to go to their favorite ice fishing spot. I prefer to stay inside and drink hot chocolates. The temperature at this moment (midday) is -5F/-21C. I wish I could go to the USVI to visit my daughter but no way am I getting on a plane.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are experiencing a cold snap like we've never had before.  We have 3 little hummingbirds that we are feeding and we have to take the feeder in at night because the nectar freezes.  Sometimes during the day, it freezes too, so we watch it carefully.  I don't know how those poor little birds stay alive during the night.  if only they'd let me take them into the house...........

Love your picture mamacampesinos.  It looks like a painting.  Was that  HAL ship in the foreground?

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 10:58 AM, the mice said:

Paging Nordski - maybe this will help with your Josh Groban request.    I saw this in my email from Travelzoo this morning:

https://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/All/Entertainment/366837/?utm_source=localdeal_us&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2905362_html_-_deal%3a2905362&utm_content=2905362&ec=0&dlinkId=2905362

- Marilyn

I want to thank you for the heads up re: the Josh Groban Valentine's Day concert, and Mackdogmolly who first introduced this topic.

My wife was thrilled last night to experience this virtual concert. She was also mightily impressed that I was able to use my technical skills to make it happen.

As usual, she was also mightily impressed with Josh's voice, his curly black hair, and his skinny jeans.

I'm hoping that the comparison came out about even. 🙂

Thanks again!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, nordski said:

I want to thank you for the heads up re: the Josh Groban Valentine's Day concert, and Mackdogmolly who first introduced this topic.

My wife was thrilled last night to experience this virtual concert. She was also mightily impressed that I was able to use my technical skills to make it happen.

As usual, she was also mightily impressed with Josh's voice, his curly black hair, and his skinny jeans.

Thanks again!

That’s terrific, Nordski! I’m glad you were able to do that.

1 hour ago, nordski said:

Thanks again!

I'm so happy that this worked out so well for you both.   And I'm sure there's no comparison - you definitely WON BIG!  😄

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 9:00 PM, TeaBag said:

Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are experiencing a cold snap like we've never had before.  We have 3 little hummingbirds that we are feeding and we have to take the feeder in at night because the nectar freezes.  Sometimes during the day, it freezes too, so we watch it carefully.  I don't know how those poor little birds stay alive during the night.  if only they'd let me take them into the house...........

Love your picture mamacampesinos.  It looks like a painting.  Was that  HAL ship in the foreground?

Thank you TeaBag. I think it was MS Eurodam in the foreground, a number of the ships moved away shortly after this was taken, ahead of storm Darcy.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:59 AM, Mackdogmolly said:

I’m not familiar with that author @nordski,  but I will have to check it out!

Betsey

Just a heads up. I am reading the third most recent in her series, “A Better Man” , and, in my view, the coarse language is considerably more prevalent than in her previous works, especially the earlier ones.

Might be considered NSFW, depending on your workplace.

It’s still an exciting read and helps me remember the Eastern Townships.

Her novel “A Rule Against Murder”, 13th in the series is loosely set at Manoir Hovey outside North Hatley. When this pandemic is over we plan to stay there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nordski said:

Just a heads up. I am reading the third most recent in her series, “A Better Man” , and, in my view, the coarse language is considerably more prevalent than in her previous works, especially the earlier ones.

Might be considered NSFW, depending on your workplace.

It’s still an exciting read and helps me remember the Eastern Townships.

Her novel “A Rule Against Murder”, 13th in the series is loosely set at Manoir Hovey outside North Hatley. When this pandemic is over we plan to stay there.

DW and I have read have read 4 of her books.  Here is my review of book 1.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1281167864

1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

DW and I have read have read 4 of her books.  Here is my review of book 1.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1281167864

I read the first 14 books in the series, but the long arcs are so dark that I was taking longer and longer.  Have a question mark next to A Better Man, and think I have probably given up on this series.  [As I did with Sister Fidelma because of the constant attacks on the Catholic Church, and Donna Leon because of her very negative picture of life in Venice.]  Real life is hard enough right now, the last thing I need is a dystopian author.  'Give me cozies or give me death' [wait, that doesn't sound quite right...]

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I read the first 14 books in the series, but the long arcs are so dark that I was taking longer and longer.  Have a question mark next to A Better Man, and think I have probably given up on this series.  [As I did with Sister Fidelma because of the constant attacks on the Catholic Church, and Donna Leon because of her very negative picture of life in Venice.]  Real life is hard enough right now, the last thing I need is a dystopian author.  'Give me cozies or give me death' [wait, that doesn't sound quite right...]

Interesting. Although there are certainly dystopian elements surrounding the crimes committed,  I would argue that the village of Three Pines clearly has utopian characteristics  distinguishing it from  the culture surrounding it. In particular it displays few of the English/French tensions one might expect.

And the characters of Inspector Gamache and his wife at times seem so idealized as to seem inhuman.

When I think of dystopian, I actually would think of the Sicily of Inspector Montalbano, a character we have discussed previously.

And that good inspector is considerably more human.😄

• Like 1

I have only read 1 book in the Inspector Montalbano series, but I plan to read more. 

@Jazzbeau  If you want to read only cozy mysteries, here are some authors that you might want to check out:

Sheldon Siegel--Legal mysteries set in SF

P. J. Tracy--Police procedurals set in Minneapolis

Sue Henry--  Iditarod dog racer

Colin Cotterill--Laos Medical examiner

Frederique Molay--Paris police

Jean-Luc Bannalec  Brittany police mysteries

R. M. Greenaway--BC, Canada police mysteries

I can provide reviews if you want.

Tom