Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

5 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I wish I could send our liquid gold to all of you!! If the syrup was canned, it could be last year’s. Doesn’t really spoil.

We have had an ongoing debate here as to what constitutes “essential” services. Is it inappropriate to think that delivering maple syrup is clearly one and should override border controls?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nordski said:

We have had an ongoing debate here as to what constitutes “essential” services. Is it inappropriate to think that delivering maple syrup is clearly one and should override border controls?

That would definitely work for me! I miss Canada so much 

Mystery writer Ian Rankin, resident of Edinburgh, has posted on his Twitter feed a photo of a road in Holyrood Park that is closed to traffic because of toad crossings. Toad crossings! Are there Wind in the Willows fans on this thread?

That just renews our desire to return to that beautiful city after our booked cruise around Scotland was cancelled last summer, although that migration might be a bit less interesting than the Military Tattoo we planned to attend.

Perhaps Uktog can post some pictures of her home city in the spring.

Here we are “enjoying” a light snow, although the initial forecast was for much worse. The good news is that this reminds us that May is on the way.

In Ontario, we are struggling through a “third wave” of the pandemic, but we hope it is the last and all family members, as of today, will be vaccinated. That is a relief!

Edited by nordski
  • Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vtdigger.org/2020/10/22/strolling-of-the-heifers-organization-pauses-its-operations-because-of-covid-cash-crunch/amp/

Before COVID shut it down last year and the organization went bust, the town of Brattleboro, in southern VT, presented the annual Strolling of the Heifers! Gotta be uniquely Vermonter!

BTW, it’s rain/snowing here too!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, nordski said:

Mystery writer Ian Rankin, resident of Edinburgh, has posted on his Twitter feed a photo of a road in Holyrood Park that is closed to traffic because of toad crossings. Toad crossings! Are there Wind in the Willows fans on this thread?

That just renews our desire to return to that beautiful city after our booked cruise around Scotland was cancelled last summer, although that migration might be a bit less interesting than the Military Tattoo we planned to attend.

Perhaps Uktog can post some pictures of her home city in the spring.

Here we are “enjoying” a light snow, although the initial forecast was for much worse. The good news is that this reminds us that May is on the way.

In Ontario, we are struggling through a “third wave” of the pandemic, but we hope it is the last and all family members, as of today, will be vaccinated. That is a relief!

The best ever daily pictures of Edinburgh, sun rain and shine are on the Twitter, Facebook or Instagram feeds of a site called Edinburgh Spotlight which is the site of a pro photographer who lives right in the middle of town so sometimes he gives you amazing early morning or late night photos.  Today it is a sunny day.  I hope you can find his pages as on facebook he has amazing photos from the middle of town today.  The weather is magnificent though cool not that you would know from the folks in t shirts in the photo, we lose all sense of reality when the sun first comes out after the winter.  

We are now allowed into Edinburgh and we hope to go in tomorrow.  Despite the light traffic, the dear toads are causing a traffic jam as the route through Holyrood Park is an ideal cut over for us.  We do indeed have lots of toad fun all around, including in the pond by out house.  I am having issues uploading pictures of them but will have a go on another machine.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is toad fun outside our house hmmm

We went to our next town 10 miles south when we got our freedom at the weekend. The daffodils were lovely still. Through the dark lockdown days we always said first chance this is where we are going even though no shops or cafes or restaurants open until 26th 

5FF2B034-32E3-4B57-AA5B-56C52E8218CD.jpeg

144AD447-7465-4423-9B94-31B95AD44D9F.jpeg

3684933D-6BE2-4BF6-B98D-C69102CCF2F0.jpeg

A23198AE-42CC-4EBD-A6F0-6399FA913CA5.jpeg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, uktog said:

We went to our next town 10 miles south when we got our freedom at the weekend. The daffodils were lovely still. Through the dark lockdown days we always said first chance this is where we are going even though no shops or cafes or restaurants open until 26th 

Lovely photos!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, uktog said:

Thanks so much for these delightful photos.. I will access the Facebook site via my wife’s account since, out of principle, I refuse to sign up. Does this make me a hypocrite? Yeah, I guess it does.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nordski said:

Thanks so much for these delightful photos.. I will access the Facebook site via my wife’s account since, out of principle, I refuse to sign up. Does this make me a hypocrite? Yeah, I guess it does.

There's a more noble interpretation:  this is keeping one of yours privacy safe! 

[tried checking the grammar on this, but every variation still looks wrong...]

• Thanks 1

It is another glorious day in Edinburgh and the temperature hit a sunny 16c so everyone was out and about.  Entry to parks that are free of charge are still subject to limit restrictions.  As luck with have it (and it surprised us) we went online this morning and got tickets for the Botanic Gardens - a place I would always recommend to any Azamara cruiser who has "done Edinburgh".  (and it is only a very short taxi ride from Leith Docks).

As you can see, it gives the most magnificent view of Edinburgh view of the castle.

The palm houses are still closed but the rhododendrons are beginning to flower.  The monkey puzzle walk is always a favourite of mine.  It was lovely to be there in such controlled numbers, normally on a day like this it would be very busy

1213AE55-1F44-420B-B077-03221504CEC8_1_201_a.jpeg

9720BBEC-38E7-4648-976D-36CE65E117D5_1_201_a.jpeg

F79CCBA6-D8A0-447B-ACDC-FE63E1AE474E_1_201_a.jpeg

8E876142-B977-4953-985A-A04B95541513_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 3

Talking of monkeys there is an "interesting art installation on the side of Inverleith House where we were able to stop for a to go coffee - that was a surprise given so much is closed but it was lovely to taste "proper coffee"  

Some more flowers to enjoy along with our monkey - I saw a photo of this monkey last week and thought a friend was messing with photoshop - I now owe him an apology. 

D90EC5FF-CDFC-4784-866D-31DE7C86AF58_1_201_a.jpeg

A47B0FEB-B8FB-4552-B672-3A586BA13F5F_1_201_a.jpeg

E0BC50B9-5F1A-4DF6-9C68-546794317CE1_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 2

The above posts by @uktog have prompted me to share some of our recent travel to Adelaide.

Hand sanitiser and social distancing are the norm in our everyday life, as is Covid safe check in at all shops and restaurants. Our first flight since our return from Mediterranean cruising on Pursuit in November 2019 was an interesting experience, masked from before entering Canberra Airport until after leaving Adelaide Airport, apart from when actively eating or drinking. Most states also require a border check before entry is allowed. Airlines ensure that you have that permission before you can check in for your flight.

Two of the places we visited were the Botanic Gardens (no ticket required) and the Adelaide Zoo (ticket required to limit numbers). Both within a half hour walk from our hotel on North Terrace. So, I thought I would also like to share some of my experience on those days.

A highlight of the Zoo visit was seeing Fu Ni and Wang Wang, the only Giant Pandas in the Southern Hemisphere. On the advice of Zoo staff as I presented my ticket, I visited the Pandas on more than one occasion during the day and was rewarded by seeing them out and about instead of sleeping. Hopefully a short video will upload . . .

Edited by Baynanno1
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Yes, it did upload, great video, thanks. Glad you had a good time in Adelaide.

Thank you! It was quite a thrill to see them out and about. ☺️

Fingers crossed at the moment . . . I missed my "baby's" 50th birthday due to a Covid spike and lockdown in February . . . booked again to travel to Victoria in May, at which stage it will be 21 months since I have seen her. Currently a new Covid problem in Melbourne 🤔 hoping to avoid a repeat of February.

Also looking forward to meeting my newest great-grandchild who will be 9 months old (thinking positively plans will not be steamrolled again) next month. 🥰

• Like 4

17 hours ago, uktog said:

It is another glorious day in Edinburgh and the temperature hit a sunny 16c so everyone was out and about.  Entry to parks that are free of charge are still subject to limit restrictions.  As luck with have it (and it surprised us) we went online this morning and got tickets for the Botanic Gardens - a place I would always recommend to any Azamara cruiser who has "done Edinburgh".  (and it is only a very short taxi ride from Leith Docks).

As you can see, it gives the most magnificent view of Edinburgh view of the castle.

The palm houses are still closed but the rhododendrons are beginning to flower.  The monkey puzzle walk is always a favourite of mine.  It was lovely to be there in such controlled numbers, normally on a day like this it would be very busy

1213AE55-1F44-420B-B077-03221504CEC8_1_201_a.jpeg

9720BBEC-38E7-4648-976D-36CE65E117D5_1_201_a.jpeg

F79CCBA6-D8A0-447B-ACDC-FE63E1AE474E_1_201_a.jpeg

8E876142-B977-4953-985A-A04B95541513_1_201_a.jpeg

Thanks for the lovely pictures. We planned to visit the botanic gardens last summer, and your photos remind us to keep that idea a priority.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Thank you! It was quite a thrill to see them out and about. ☺️

Fingers crossed at the moment . . . I missed my "baby's" 50th birthday due to a Covid spike and lockdown in February . . . booked again to travel to Victoria in May, at which stage it will be 21 months since I have seen her. Currently a new Covid problem in Melbourne 🤔 hoping to avoid a repeat of February.

Also looking forward to meeting my newest great-grandchild who will be 9 months old (thinking positively plans will not be steamrolled again) next month. 🥰

I do hope you get to Victoria to see your daughter and get to meet your newest great grand-child.

• Like 3

Lovely photos of Edinburgh - reminded me of our first trip there.  During our week, we had mostly fair weather, so we enjoyed Princes Street Gardens, walked to the Botanic Gardens as well as the Water of Leith, and climbed Arthur's Seat.  Unfortunately, our 2d visit was only a shortened port day with torrential rain, so we spent it inside the National Gallery.   Thank you for the photos.

• Like 1