How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks John, you sound as if you are receiving good care. Look after yourself. 

Leigh

Well we should all try to help each other in our little CC community .. it feels like a group of friends talking to each other

Regards

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Is this schedule under the public hospital?  My visits to public hospital have always been emergency, so I get taken right in, with no queue. 

It is from NSW Health, normally applied in the public system.  However, applied across in these unusual times.

From talking to one o my surgeons, I understand that these are still reflected in the private system and health insurance. There has to be a justification provided to conduct elective surgery.

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

We’ve had a terrible morning, first of all my husband had put his white Ford Ute out on the roadway as we were expecting a tradie. About 9.15am, a white Holden Ute flew up the street, I thought it was neighbour across the road’s son so didn’t think too much about it. Then I noticed that this Ute had stopped beside Rob’s and some one was getting back in the car. Rob raced outside to see what was going on but the car roared off. His rego plates were both gone! He rang the police and we are waiting for them to come - from the station where son in law is a sergeant. Then because I was using my laptop reading CC posts, I put it on the floor to go go and see what was happening and Rob stood on it when he came back in. It looks like the screen is damaged. It’s not working now. 

Leigh

Sorry to hear about all of that Leigh. 

1 hour ago, VK3DQ said:

Well we should all try to help each other in our little CC community .. it feels like a group of friends talking to each other

Regards

John

No cure is a bit of a bugger John, at least mine will clear with a few more weeks of healing time. Pain got a bit much around mid day so reluctantly hit it with an Endone as it was laughing at the Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. I have to severely limit the use of the good stuff as they can block things up which is an absolute nono at the moment.

What's the prognosis for your situation mate? Any light at the end of the tunnel which isn't a bloody train?

14 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

No cure is a bit of a bugger John, at least mine will clear with a few more weeks of healing time. Pain got a bit much around mid day so reluctantly hit it with an Endone as it was laughing at the Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. I have to severely limit the use of the good stuff as they can block things up which is an absolute nono at the moment.

What's the prognosis for your situation mate? Any light at the end of the tunnel which isn't a bloody train?

I recommend prune juice, just in case. It really does work, or you could just eat prunes regularly. Try wrapping them in bacon and grilling them. Devils on horseback!  

26 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

It is from NSW Health, normally applied in the public system.  However, applied across in these unusual times.

From talking to one o my surgeons, I understand that these are still reflected in the private system and health insurance. There has to be a justification provided to conduct elective surgery.

So would the difference be you mightn't have to wait as long for private as public?  Although it is one at present. 

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Thanks you for your kind thoughts to those who posted. Much appreciated. I think at this time when we are all feeling a little vulnerable, the death of someone you know really hits you hard. 

My daughter was in tears because the card we posted to her for her upcoming birthday, we have never had to post her birthday card before. 

Leigh

Your daughter is probably missing you.

Imagine how people in aged care centres who aren't allowed visits from family members feel?  I was pleased to hear the Old Premier say that it is not on for aged care centres to lockdown not allowing loved ones to visit family, nor allowing residents to leave their rooms.  I was angry when I heard Arcare in Qld. wasn't allowing visitors. What kind of company keeps families apart for convenience?  Of course, no-one who is ill should visit any aged care home.

21 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Your daughter is probably missing you.

Imagine how people in aged care centres who aren't allowed visits from family members feel?  I was pleased to hear the Old Premier say that it is not on for aged care centres to lockdown not allowing loved ones to visit family, nor allowing residents to leave their rooms.  I was angry when I heard Arcare in Qld. wasn't allowing visitors. What kind of company keeps families apart for convenience?  Of course, no-one who is ill should visit any aged care home.

I agree. It seems to vary from one aged care centre to the next. We have an elderly friend in an aged care centre and haven’t visited her but keep in contact by phone. 

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I agree. It seems to vary from one aged care centre to the next. We have an elderly friend in an aged care centre and haven’t visited her but keep in contact by phone. 

I have visited aged care centres my whole life, the last one late last year.  The best ones from my observation were the small country ones, which were staffed with people who loved their patients, and cared for them like family.  No doubt these small centres wouldn't meet modern health care requirements.  

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I have visited aged care centres my whole life, the last one late last year.  The best ones from my observation were the small country ones, which were staffed with people who loved their patients, and cared for them like family.  No doubt these small centres wouldn't meet modern health care requirements.  

I tend to agree to a certain extent. My aunt was in a country one in south west Victoria and looked after beautifully. Although she was banned at one stage of attending social events as she disrupted them with unruly behaviour. She had dementia, she would have been horrified if she had realised what she was doing. 

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I tend to agree to a certain extent. My aunt was in a country one in south west Victoria and looked after beautifully. Although she was banned at one stage of attending social events as she disrupted them with unruly behaviour. She had dementia, she would have been horrified if she had realised what she was doing. 

None of us know how we will be in old age.  A favourite soft spoken aunt, who never swore in her life, used to curse and criticise the nuns who ran the home.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

So would the difference be you mightn't have to wait as long for private as public?  Although it is one at present. 

The Victorian Health Minister has said that first priority will go to public patients. Possibly still using the private hospitals.

Just back to the categories... the day after the announcement was made, Scotty gave private hospitals an extra week of elective surgeries. There have been allegations that a group of surgeon affiliated to one particular hospital inappropriately re-categorised some patients in order to allow the operations to go ahead.

And now..... they have changed their mind

Public and private patients anxiously waiting for elective surgeries in Victoria will be treated equally for the next six months and placed on the same waiting list that prioritises urgent procedures.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Bupa in QLD is not alllowing visitors either.   And when they do start again I have to get a flu injection or I cannot see my own mother.   

6 hours ago, datone said:

Bupa in QLD is not alllowing visitors either.   And when they do start again I have to get a flu injection or I cannot see my own mother.   

I think the policy is appalling and shows lack of empathy for the residents.  I read of one daughter who wanted to take her mother out of a centre at risk and was advised against it, then her mother caught the virus.  This policy is heartbreaking for resident as well as family members.  

7 hours ago, Docker123 said:

And now..... they have changed their mind

Public and private patients anxiously waiting for elective surgeries in Victoria will be treated equally for the next six months and placed on the same waiting list that prioritises urgent procedures.

That is interesting.  Will the charge be the same for both sets of patients?  The most common complaint I hear is the huge cost involved with the private gap between coverage and cost.  Of course private patients could always go public, if they wished. 

18 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Re elective surgery it is amazing what is and isn’t considered elective, a few years ago I needed eye surgery, I could barely see, that was considered elective. My father in law needs surgery to some artery’s not life threatening, but could cost him a leg or two, that is elective.

Don’t get me started on how we treat, or more accurately don’t treat, pain.

Did you see the SBS Show on the management of pain?  If so, what did you think of it?  I have a new respect for people who suffer constant pain, since I wake up in pain in my knees. 

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That is interesting.  Will the charge be the same for both sets of patients?  The most common complaint I hear is the huge cost involved with the private gap between coverage and cost.  Of course private patients could always go public, if they wished. 

A couple of times I have heard of a person with private health cover having to go to hospital for an emergency procedure. When asked if they have private health cover they answered "No" so they wouldn't have to pay the gap.

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Did you see the SBS Show on the management of pain?  If so, what did you think of it?  I have a new respect for people who suffer constant pain, since I wake up in pain in my knees. 

Arthritis? Me too. I have named my left knee "Arthur" and my right knee "Ritis". However, I have found if I do my exercises, the pain is reduced enormously. 🙂

41 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

A couple of times I have heard of a person with private health cover having to go to hospital for an emergency procedure. When asked if they have private health cover they answered "No" so they wouldn't have to pay the gap.

People who go to public hospitals in Queensland, can say they have private cover, without any extra charges.  This way the Queensland public hospital gets paid for use of their accommodation and doctors by the private fund. 

43 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Arthritis? Me too. I have named my left knee "Arthur" and my right knee "Ritis". However, I have found if I do my exercises, the pain is reduced enormously. 🙂

I guess it is arthritis.  I know I had gout in one knee once which is a form of arthritis. 

What exercises?  I just walk a lot.