How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

19 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

A piece of interesting trivia I came across today from wordsmith , Susie Dent....

Quarantine - derived from Italian word quarantino . 
Used in Venice around 1300 when the black plague was around , and it required ships coming with trade to  stay at one of the Island off Venice for 40 days before coming into the City .

If they could at that stage, many would have died on board their respective ships.

Just announced in NZ

We move out of lockdown from Level 4  at 11.59 pm Mon 27.
We will then be in Level 3 for 2 weeks .Level 3 still requires stay at home and practice social distancing, but construction will get underway .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Just announced in NZ

We will then be in Level 3 for 2 weeks .Level 3 still requires stay at home and practice social distancing, but construction will get underway .

What about Weddings and Funerals? Are they allowed?

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I am keen to have my hip replacement operation. It was two before my scheduled operation that they announced a halt to elective surgery.

The halt is only for non urgent elective surgery, I was operated on last Friday afternoon for urgent elective surgery, and the only other procedure that day was before me and was a 4 1/2 hour procedure which I assume was in the same category or worse.

Unfortunately, as my wife found out the hard way, pain is not considered urgent.

It is quite remarkable just what is classified as "Elective Surgery", I'm sure the bureaucrat who drew up the list has not required surgery at any time.

7 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

What about Weddings and Funerals? Are they allowed?

Funerals and weddings
Funerals and weddings will be able to go ahead, but limited to 10 people. But they can only be services. No meals, food or receptions can take place.

2 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

The halt is only for non urgent elective surgery, I was operated on last Friday afternoon for urgent elective surgery, and the only other procedure that day was before me and was a 4 1/2 hour procedure which I assume was in the same category or worse.

Unfortunately, as my wife found out the hard way, pain is not considered urgent.

It is quite remarkable just what is classified as "Elective Surgery", I'm sure the bureaucrat who drew up the list has not required surgery at any time.

I was wondering about non-urgent becoming urgent. There might be an answer tomorrow whether non-urgent procedures return.

13 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Hope you are recovering well from your surgery. My husband had his hip replacement in February. He was into his 4th week of rehab when the pin was pulled on the sessions because of social distancing. But he was able to continue on at home with his exercises, riding an exercise bike and walking. 

I agree with you about pain not considered urgent. It's amazing it's not. The physio my husband saw said his hip needed replacing urgently and he was in terrible pain but no it wasn't classed as urgent by the surgeon.

Leigh

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I am keen to have my hip replacement operation. It was two before my scheduled operation that they announced a halt to elective surgery.

I hope the op goes well when you have it. When my wife found out she needed a hip replacement at the age of 65, she took up cycling as preparation. It really worked. She only spent two nights in hospital post op and did not need to go to rehab, she just kept cycling.

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Just announced in NZ

and takeaways?

41 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

and takeaways?

30 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

that was going to be my question.  You can tell I am a foodie!

Businesses that are accessed by the public or customers such as retail, hardware stores and restaurants can open but only for online or phone purchases and contactless delivery or click and collect.

25 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Businesses that are accessed by the public or customers such as retail, hardware stores and restaurants can open but only for online or phone purchases and contactless delivery or click and collect.

It sounds like the NZ level 3 is similar to how Australia is, although we seem to have small variations between how the restrictions are interpreted in the different states..

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It sounds like the NZ level 3 is similar to how Australia is, although we seem to have small variations between how the restrictions are interpreted in the different states..

Yes  . it’s still to be implemented and there will probably be questions and exceptions .

Level 3 is programmed for 2 weeks and if all goes well we then drop to Level 2 ..

Whatever happens , I believe it is up to all of us to get stuck in and support  the small local businesses that provide the structure of our society. 
This world shattering event has brought home how important every link in the chain is .

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes, Australia adopted level 3 as its most recent standard, although adopted some flexibility so didn't officially name it that way.

On 4/20/2020 at 2:52 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Just announced in NZ

Are you looking forward to doing anything different, David, after you're on Level 3?

23 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Yes  . it’s still to be implemented and there will probably be questions and exceptions .

Level 3 is programmed for 2 weeks and if all goes well we then drop to Level 2 ..

Whatever happens , I believe it is up to all of us to get stuck in and support  the small local businesses that provide the structure of our society. 
This world shattering event has brought home how important every link in the chain is .

It is good to see all the small local businesses, close to me, well supported.  A visit to local market for fruit and veg and we are set for the week.

On 4/20/2020 at 3:42 PM, possum52 said:

Hope you are recovering well from your surgery. My husband had his hip replacement in February. He was into his 4th week of rehab when the pin was pulled on the sessions because of social distancing. But he was able to continue on at home with his exercises, riding an exercise bike and walking. 

I agree with you about pain not considered urgent. It's amazing it's not. The physio my husband saw said his hip needed replacing urgently and he was in terrible pain but no it wasn't classed as urgent by the surgeon.

Leigh

Elective surgery recommences from after Anzac Day.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:40 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

This is different to Aust., but would be more efficient. 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Elective surgery recommences from after Anzac Day.

Yes I saw that on the news. Hopefully those who need surgery will have it soon. We are just pleased my husband had his in February. 

Re elective surgery it is amazing what is and isn’t considered elective, a few years ago I needed eye surgery, I could barely see, that was considered elective. My father in law needs surgery to some artery’s not life threatening, but could cost him a leg or two, that is elective.

Don’t get me started on how we treat, or more accurately don’t treat, pain.

I think it is really bad terminology, but understandable terminology.

Emergency surgery — someone is about to die. Major heart attack, major trauma and bleed out. Immediate action

Elective — procedure can be planned in advance (most other things). In Australia elective surgery has 3 sub-sections related to how quickly a more serious outcome can be expected. Plus cat 4 of no current action.

According to the big book of specific procedures, my planned laminectomy is cat 3. https://ranzcog.edu.au/RANZCOG_SITE/media/RANZCOG-MEDIA/Women's Health/Statement and guidelines/Clinical - Gynaecology/National-Elective-Surgery-Categorisation-5.pdf?ext=.pdf

This is the NSW DEFINITION CHART

E8137066-BD30-45FA-8063-F26D45CB7E93.png.db5a7d8c6b8699b705928590c88f206b.png

Edited by Docker123

Of course, there are the rules I showed above, then there are how the rules actually work — getting onto the elective surgery waiting list to match the categories.

In 2018, at Easter, I received notification that I had failed the poo test. Early Easter that year. GP put me onto the list for the local state hospital system for necessary scoping.

Coincidentally, I was seeing an ENT for an oesophageal issue. He said to have an gastroscope, and the guy over the road could do it. Gastro doctor could also do the other end — as long as there was private insurance.

So,  May 15 got all scoped. Seriously bad news, surgery etc.

Get home, letter from the local hospital saying I was classified as cat 1, and that someone should ring me within 30 days to discuss next steps.

So, 6 weeks after referral I was told they then had to act within The next 30 days.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:40 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Restaurants etc. in Australia can only sell for delivery or click and collect. However, other stores can still trade. Those that are still open include Harvey Norman, Bunnings and Spotlight (and of course supermarkets, green grocers and pharmacies). Many other stores have chosen to close because customers are all told to stay at home. Millers and its associated stores are all operating on line with an increased product range.

Edited by Aus Traveller