Cruises cancelled..Where are the refunds??

I had two cruises that I booked directly with RCCL.  Both cruises were cancelled by RCCL and I opted for the refund, however no monies have been refunded to my credit card.  I read that it takes up to 30 days, but I’m not sure if they’re staggering the refunds or holding them to process all at once.  Considering their current economic situation and everything that’s going on I’m not very comfortable with them holding on to my money.  A lot could happen in 30 days.  With that being said, I was just wondering has anyone received a refund from RCCL for cruises that have been cancelled by RCCL?

I cancelled my cruise yesterday (fully refundable deposit and drink packages), they told me I’d see the credit on my credit card in 7-10 days. Probably business days but I didn’t bother to ask. 

I waited on the phone to receive the email showing the refund for the drink packages, but was told I wouldn’t receive an email for the cancellation of the cruise, but was given a confirmation number, and was told the credit for those 2 things would show up as separate credits on my card. 

Based on that, I assume you should see your credit in that timeframe, and that they will show up as 2 separate credits since they were 2 separate cancellations. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

19 minutes ago, Crrrrruisin said:

I was just wondering has anyone received a refund from RCCL for cruises that have been cancelled by RCCL?

No, not yet... but its only been fifteen days since RCI cancelled it.

From Royal's site:

We will automatically issue you your Future Cruise Credit (FCC) via email. So, there’s nothing for you to do! You can expect to receive your FCC by:

◦ Monday, April 13th, 2020, if your sail date was on or before April 10th, 2020, or on Ovation of the Seas April 11th, 2020, Radiance March 14th, 2020, Jewel of the Seas March 19th – May 5th, 2020, and all April 2020 Spectrum of the Seas sailings.

◦ Monday, April 30th, 2020, if your sail date was on or after April 11th, 2020.

26 minutes ago, Crrrrruisin said:

I had two cruises that I booked directly with RCCL.  Both cruises were cancelled by RCCL and I opted for the refund, however no monies have been refunded to my credit card.  I read that it takes up to 30 days, but I’m not sure if they’re staggering the refunds or holding them to process all at once.  Considering their current economic situation and everything that’s going on I’m not very comfortable with them holding on to my money.  A lot could happen in 30 days.  With that being said, I was just wondering has anyone received a refund from RCCL for cruises that have been cancelled by RCCL?

They just received a 2.2 billion $ loan.  I wouldn't be worried

• Like 1

I was told it will take up to 30 business days to see the cruise refund hit my credit card.  Just requested a refund for an April 20th cruise yesterday. Cruise Planner refunds are also very slow.

Edited by eel
  • Like 1

Refunds for my April 9 cruise which was canceled by RCCL appeared on my credit statement today.  There were 4 refunds, 2 for the travel insurance and 2 for the dining package I had purchased.  I have no fear that I will receive my money back but with all of the cruises cancelled it is going to take time.  Have some patience with overworked employees, please.

Cancelled 3 Allure sailings on March 8, 2020.  Informed yesterday by RCCL that it will take at least 30 days, perhaps even 60 days to get refund.  Haven't received FCC's either.

I cancelled both a Celebrity cruise and a RCI cruise a couple of weeks ago (not related to the virus, but after the 30 day suspension).  The Celebrity refund hit my account within a few days, the RCI refund took about a week later.  But I got both back fairly quickly.  

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

34 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival is telling people might take 90 days for refunds.

I don't understand why you are so impatient.

1st..I was merely inquiring if others had already received refunds.

2nd.. it’s MY money and I can be impatient if I please. People normally receive INTEREST when someone is holding their money a significant period of time. They aren’t paying any interest therefore I want it back A.S.A.P.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Refunds for my April 9 cruise which was canceled by RCCL appeared on my credit statement today.  There were 4 refunds, 2 for the travel insurance and 2 for the dining package I had purchased.  I have no fear that I will receive my money back but with all of the cruises cancelled it is going to take time.  Have some patience with overworked employees, please.

Thank you. This information was very helpful, so they are staggering the refunds vs processing them all at once. This is pretty much what I needed to know.  It’s weird that the charges are automatic, doesn’t take an “overworked” employee to proces those, so not sure why it takes an “overworked” employee to process the refund.🤷‍♀️

I cancelled on Mar 11.  Received some shore excursion credits on Mar 19 but still have several excursions still outstanding as well as my taxes, fees and gratuities.  Called today and was told to check back on Apr 1.  Separately, booked for early 2021 on March 23 and 7 deposits were posted to my credit card today.  Perhaps they have the overworked employees working on the refunds and the underworked ones working on the new bookings 🤔?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

10 minutes ago, Crrrrruisin said:

2nd.. it’s MY money and I can be impatient if I please. People normally receive INTEREST when someone is holding their money a significant period of time. They aren’t paying any interest therefore I want it back A.S.A.P.

Besides people wanting their money back, nobody wants to wonder for 90 days if the refund actually went through. It’s annoying to have to keep that on your list of things to check on for 90 days.

As for the interest, you aren’t losing much interest on that money, so don’t worry. 

6 minutes ago, nu_cruzer1 said:

Perhaps they have the overworked employees working on the refunds and the underworked ones working on the new bookings 🤔?

You hit the nail on the head! I’m sure the interest they’re receiving from holding on to all those refunds is substantial. 

17 minutes ago, Crrrrruisin said:

Even during normal times refunds from cancelled Cruise Planner purchases take around a week to process.  Same as any other credit card purchase.  And "interest" hasn't really existed for 10 years.  Suggest holding your breath until you get your refunds to make things go faster.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Please remember that now some people are completely out of work and possibly need this money for other necessities. They might have been able to afford to use the money for cruising previously but now that they are unemployed they need this money as soon as they can get it in some cases. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

I did not realize they were refunding the travel insurance (vacation protection plan).  In fact, I was told the opposite by a Royal CSR on March 14th (although I realize they don't always have correct information).  Has anyone else been refunded the travel insurance purchased through Royal on cruises that are past final payment date and have been canceled by Royal?

2 hours ago, Crrrrruisin said:

You hit the nail on the head! I’m sure the interest they’re receiving from holding on to all those refunds is substantial. 

Banks paying about .09 cents on deposits of $10,000 plus.  Not losing much interest on the money RCCL owes me for April 9 cruise.  Better things to worry about like staying healthy and alive.