P&O are still aiming for May cruises to go ahead ???

glittergal1

Sitting here and wondering about transferring to a cruise next summer.  Oil industry is becoming dire again (hasn't really recovered since last downturn) and my husband, who was laid off for a couple of years until last October (self-employed engineer) is currently working from home but looking askance at the cost per barrel - it is looking unsustainable to keep projects going that he is working on.  Sigh.  We have always known that this could happen and planned financially for it, hence we have a 'holiday' fund handy, plus my income (support assistant in a school).  I so want something to look forward to and enjoy a ffiord cruise in particular.  Thing is, we would prefer something longer than a week, two weeks would be ideal, and a balcony because I spend a lot of time sitting in silence and watching the scenery (usually opt for a cheap inside).

What's everyone else's favourite type of cruise, and cabin type?

59 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Perhaps I am being harsh John however I have been on the receiving end of the firm application of the T&Cs by P&O, to my cost. I would say that was also harsh in the circumstances that prevailed.

As I said above if they were prepared to come and go a bit they may retain more of their income stream. 

As an aside have you received any reply with regard to your suggestions yet?

Not yet, have you?

1 hour ago, daiB said:

I am thinking world wide not just in the U.K. However the regulations you mention may or may not be in force going forward.

The regulations may change going forward but this can only be done by Parliament and I don’t think this will be top priority with the present problems.

Thus we have to use the current regulations in force at the time of booking.
Brian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daiB said:

Only they are doing the same as everyone else. Royal Caribbean, Warner’s Holidays etc.

Refunds from Celebrity, Marriot,Gatwick parking. Don't know about Warner as we only ever book a few weeks beforehand as "sometimes,they have a sale on ".😁

3 hours ago, daiB said:

It is industry standard if they have all either agreed to do the same thing or ha followed each other. Eg Royal Caribbean is almost exactly the same as P&O

Agreeing to do the same thing is right now not permitted by law. It is called collusion. Boris may change that soon, but currently that offence carries penalty of up to 10% of worldwide turnover and directors can be banged up ( that's the legal term.). Just saying

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJ28 said:

Sitting here and wondering about transferring to a cruise next summer.  Oil industry is becoming dire again (hasn't really recovered since last downturn) and my husband, who was laid off for a couple of years until last October (self-employed engineer) is currently working from home but looking askance at the cost per barrel - it is looking unsustainable to keep projects going that he is working on.  Sigh.  We have always known that this could happen and planned financially for it, hence we have a 'holiday' fund handy, plus my income (support assistant in a school).  I so want something to look forward to and enjoy a ffiord cruise in particular.  Thing is, we would prefer something longer than a week, two weeks would be ideal, and a balcony because I spend a lot of time sitting in silence and watching the scenery (usually opt for a cheap inside).

What's everyone else's favourite type of cruise, and cabin type?

Today I booked what may the sort of cruise you require. 12 nights on Aurora to the fjords first half of August 2021. 

6 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

It is not industry standard, the standard is contained in the terms and conditions we all signed up to, which they are now not abiding by.

I do agree it is survival mode however I think that a bit more come and go with customers might actually be more effective in helping them to survive in the longer term. There have been a number of good suggestions from others as to how P&O could help customers and help themselves eg moving the final payment date from 12 weeks to 6 weeks or allowing people to apply any cancelled cruise money to a future cruise booking.

If folks already have numerous cruises booked well ahead an FCC is no use to them so they will want their money back in hard cash: allow them to apply a refund to a future cruise and both the booking and the money are retained by P&O.

As I said above all the changes are very one sided.

Being Able to Using any  Future Cruise Credit  is our issue, we reluctantly took a 50% refund 50% FCC on a cruise a few  weeks ago however as it stands we are unable to use the FCC on a NEW BOOKING because we have 4 cruises booked already with P&O and another 4 with MSC over the next 2 years and NO more holiday from work to take (its all been booked off and agreed)  so unless P&O change their rules and allow us to use it on a booking we already have then we are a bit stuffed obviously we dont want anymore FCC we want hard cash we have a cruise in May and July and im hoping we can get cash for these. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glittergal1 said:

Being Able to Using any  Future Cruise Credit  is our issue, we reluctantly took a 50% refund 50% FCC on a cruise a few  weeks ago however as it stands we are unable to use the FCC on a NEW BOOKING because we have 4 cruises booked already with P&O and another 4 with MSC over the next 2 years and NO more holiday from work to take (its all been booked off and agreed)  so unless P&O change their rules and allow us to use it on a booking we already have then we are a bit stuffed obviously we dont want anymore FCC we want hard cash we have a cruise in May and July and im hoping we can get cash for these. 

Couid you not cancel one of your four cruises,  lose the deposit, and then rebook using the FCC?  That way you will not forfeit your FCC.

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Couid you not cancel one of your four cruises,  lose the deposit, and then rebook using the FCC?  That way you will not forfeit your FCC.

Yes we could but we would lose the Deposit and we would have to re book the exact same cruise which is now a good few hundred pounds more expensive each so basically we would loose over £400 . It would be far better if P&O would simply allow us to use the FCC on one of the cruises already booked 

4 minutes ago, glittergal1 said:

Yes we could but we would lose the Deposit and we would have to re book the exact same cruise which is now a good few hundred pounds more expensive each so basically we would loose over £400 . It would be far better if P&O would simply allow us to use the FCC on one of the cruises already booked 

Given the current parlous state of P&O/Carnival, I cannot see them allowing FCC to be applied to existing bookings. It would be the final nail in their coffin.

I suppose it comes down to a simple financial calculation - if your FCC is worth say £2000, and you lose £400 by cancelling and then applying it to a new booking, you will at least have salvaged £1600. Better that than losing all £2000.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, glittergal1 said:

I guess they prefer to have the £400 in their coffers at present.  We would all like them to accept FCCs against existing bookings, and reduce the final balance period, but I guess their bean counters are calling the shots at the moment.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Given the current parlous state of P&O/Carnival, I cannot see them allowing FCC to be applied to existing bookings. It would be the final nail in their coffin.

I suppose it comes down to a simple financial calculation - if your FCC is worth say £2000, and you lose £400 by cancelling and then applying it to a new booking, you will at least have salvaged £1600. Better that than losing all £2000.   

They have to give you your money back eventually it would make far more sense to put it against a cruise you have already booked or indeed one after March 22.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Having recently been in dispute on a T/C situation, with P&O,  regarding 2 on board future  bookings, and  my preference of T/A, resulting in a number of very dismissive correspondence from them, My Tears are Dry!

As they say, what goes around comes around!

Far from accepting 100% refund for my April 26th Cruise I referred them to the terms and conditions of booking, and have requested that they also compensate me in accordance  with the contract,which in my situation is a further 15%. I have offered to accept this by way of cases of wine! which at this time would be more useful!

The above is not as seemed, I was looking at an older set of Terms and conditions up to 2018, and had not realised that the wording of the cancellation clauses had partly changed. think it is Important to put my hands up!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, daiB said:

They have to give you your money back eventually it would make far more sense to put it against a cruise you have already booked or indeed one after March 22.

Maybe true if they still exist as a going concern.

I'm sitting on my PC waiting to see if I can book a grocery delivery - not sure when the supermarket systems update to the next day and slots become available, hoping it might be midnight.

Worries about refund or FCC can wait for now.

Stay safe and well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Maybe true if they still exist as a going concern.

I'm sitting on my PC waiting to see if I can book a grocery delivery - not sure when the supermarket systems update to the next day and slots become available, hoping it might be midnight.

Worries about refund or FCC can wait for now.

Stay safe and well.

Tesco opens up new slots at midnight, so hope you were successful.

Slots are also opening up at random during the day, presumably cancellations? Keep checking if you were unlucky.

15 hours ago, zap99 said:

Refunds from Celebrity, Marriot,Gatwick parking. Don't know about Warner as we only ever book a few weeks beforehand as "sometimes,they have a sale on ".😁

Warners are currently offering refunds for breaks that THEY have cancelled.

• Like 1

I am usually extremely positive about everything, but I am also a realist... 

All these comments saying 'they have to', 'I will demand', ' my contract says' may well all happen, but realistically, they 'might' not.... 

P&O, like many others, are looking at ways of trying to save their business. 

What worries me is this could be very early days in a long period of suffering. 

If they are looking at this now, who knows where they will be if this completely knocks our confidence in cruising? 

Insurance will be a factor, over 70s may never be able to sail again and the new target audience will remember the horror stories... 

Something will have to give... 

Hopefully this is all nonsense and we are all back to work and sailing again in a few weeks time... 

Lets keep safe and hope for the best, it's all we can do... 

Andy 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

All these comments saying 'they have to', 'I will demand', ' my contract says' may well all happen, but realistically, they 'might' not...

A month or so ago, I must admit I was in the "demanding" category, when it came to refunds for cancelled cruises, holidays etc.

Now, I am in the "let's try and get through it, whatever it takes" category. Yes, I would still like my money back, but I would rather have it back in two years time (from any business, not just P&O) than see the business fail.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

All these comments saying 'they have to', 'I will demand', ' my contract says' may well all happen, but realistically, they 'might' not.... 

If they are looking at this now, who knows where they will be if this completely knocks our confidence in cruising? 

Insurance will be a factor, over 70s may never be able to sail again and the new target audience will remember the horror stories... 

Hopefully this is all nonsense and we are all back to work and sailing again in a few weeks time... 

Andy 

Having tried to find a cruise to transfer to next year, I don't think they'll have many issues filling the ships in 2021.  I know a lot of that is down to people moving from this year to next, so maybe 2022 will be more telling?  I was struggling to find something that I could use my FCC on that had any decent cabins left.  Iona in particular seems to be very popular, as you'd expect for a new ship I suppose.  

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

A month or so ago, I must admit I was in the "demanding" category, when it came to refunds for cancelled cruises, holidays etc.

Now, I am in the "let's try and get through it, whatever it takes" category. Yes, I would still like my money back, but I would rather have it back in two years time (from any business, not just P&O) than see the business fail.

I'm the same Wowzz, I want my money back, but something tells me it ain't gonna be easy.. 

Laws will change to try to protect the economy and many companies will not survive. 

We might all get what we want, but we might not.. 

Doesn't mean we should stop trying, we need to make sure we survive and look out for ourselves, as P&O are doing.. 

Andy 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Wise words Andy. Even if the crisis were to end in a matter of weeks, which we all know it won’t, I fear that cruising will be damaged for many years to come. The constant horror stories played out in the media has seen to that and, for once, they aren’t exaggerated! The younger generation, who have been turning to cruising in their droves in recent years, will now pause for thought. The older generation, who have always seen cruising as a very safe form of holiday, will now be very nervous about the health risks. Insurance is a potential show stopper, but I’m sure I have read somewhere in the past that one or two cruise operators include insurance in the fare (Saga)? That might be a way forward for P&O, given that on our last half a dozen cruises on Aurora the average age of passenger has been mid 70’s. Without such an approach I fear for the adult only ships, especially if P&O can’t get out of ‘Iona 2’ as they will have an over capacity issue. It will pay them to get the ships as full as they can, as any profit will come from on board spend, so in either scenario I expect some very cheap cruises in the years ahead. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Having tried to find a cruise to transfer to next year, I don't think they'll have many issues filling the ships in 2021.  I know a lot of that is down to people moving from this year to next, so maybe 2022 will be more telling?  I was struggling to find something that I could use my FCC on that had any decent cabins left.  Iona in particular seems to be very popular, as you'd expect for a new ship I suppose.  

That's because we are temporarily delaying, I doubt any are new bookings. 

Will all those passengers rebooked for next year be able to travel, or even want to? 

Andy