USNS Comfort

37 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

If it’s converted to handle COVID19, wouldn’t it be better served to support the military?  What about sick sailors and marines onboard the Roosevelt?  Don’t they deserve better?

That's fine, but those patients are in Guam, and the Mercy is in LA, and it's about 15-17 days to get there.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

A little early to declare NY past it's peak.

There are glimmers of hope that it might be hitting the peak sooner than expected. No idea how long it's going to stay at the peak. Could be a plateau.  I'd wait a week or so before declaring peak over.

Even if it's too late to help NY, at least the ship could be deployed to to next hot spot.....or be ready for wave 2 this fall. 

In my opinion.

Could work on converting happen while sailing to Guam? 

Realistically, the military has portable field hospitals set up for biological warfare (which is what this is), and these are far more portable, and better suited to handling a surge of patients than a makeshift conversion, which the hospital ships would most likely be. 

Well, to convert underway, you first need to get all the equipment onboard, and I don't know that this has been pre-planned, so not sure how long it would take to figure out the best way, with existing equipment, to do this.  Then you have to bring on contractors to get the work done, carrying them to Guam, and then transporting them back, possibly exposing them to infection, or infection of the ship, so getting folks to volunteer for this might be a problem.  And, as I've said, I don't see this taking less than one to two months (leaning towards the latter), so longer than the trip to Guam.

My suggestion, and I'm not in the military, nor an epidemiologist, would be to get a military airlift to bring all but the most severe cases back from Guam to a military base in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The next likely spot will be NY again and converting something Javits Center is probably way easier/faster/cheaper than Comfort.

I agree. 

The original mission for Comfort was as backup for hospitals to send non-covid patients.  But as heart attacks,  strokes,  etc continue, the ship will eventually fill up. 

The good news is it seems NY hospitals patients are being  discharged in greater numbers than are being admitted.  Hope that trend continues. 

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

That's fine, but those patients are in Guam, and the Mercy is in LA, and it's about 15-17 days to get there.

True, but more are getting it everyday. I doubt they are anywhere near peak 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Here is another problem as I see it. 

Many of the Doctors, Nurses, and medical support are Citizen Solders, Airmen, and Sailors. When they pull them in for the ship and NYC, they are pulling them from their local communities. Reservists. 

In my opinion 

True, but they are activating them for the convention center as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I agree. 

The original mission for Comfort was as backup for hospitals to send non-covid patients.  But as heart attacks,  strokes,  etc continue, the ship will eventually fill up. 

The good news is it seems NY hospitals patients are being  discharged in greater numbers than are being admitted.  Hope that trend continues. 

But those other cases have to be free of the virus for now

29 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

True, but more are getting it everyday. I doubt they are anywhere near peak 

It is my understanding that 2000 crew have been removed from the ship, so they should be in at least better isolation than onboard.  And, as I've said, not only would it take two weeks to get there, but quite a bit longer to modify the ship for infectious diseases.  The hospital ship is set up nearly the same in the wards as the carrier is in crew berthing, so no real benefit without serious modification.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

It is my understanding that 2000 crew have been removed from the ship, so they should be in at least better isolation than onboard.  And, as I've said, not only would it take two weeks to get there, but quite a bit longer to modify the ship for infectious diseases.  The hospital ship is set up nearly the same in the wards as the carrier is in crew berthing, so no real benefit without serious modification.

I just watched a Military Admiral/General saying the Comfort already has COVID19 positive onboard. 

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Here is another problem as I see it. 

Many of the Doctors, Nurses, and medical support are Citizen Solders, Airmen, and Sailors. When they pull them in for the ship and NYC, they are pulling them from their local communities. Reservists. 

In my opinion 

The U.S. Northern Command on Saturday said it was deploying 1,000 Air Force and Navy medical providers to New York City over the next three days. About 300 personnel will work at the Javits Center, which has been converted into a makeshift hospital. Others will be deployed to various New York City hospitals that lack medical staff. 

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We’ll have all Medical Reservist in NYC soon and leave their communities to fight for themselves. Good reason we have the electoral college. 

In my opinion 

Sure, but then they will move on to the next hot spot.  No other state is as bad off as NY right now. That's why we have a Commander in Chief.

No idea what this has to do with electoral college. 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We’ll have all Medical Reservist in NYC soon and leave their communities to fight for themselves. Good reason we have the electoral college. 

In my opinion 

Don't see that happening. The # of c19 cases in the US will be down to zero soon, it is under tremendous control, and I heard  it on fox news not fake news.😷

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

President Trump just said Comfort is ready to take COVID cases.👍

11 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I saw that

I hope to God that I'm wrong, and they have actually reconfigured for this to work, and this isn't just a bunch of politicians talking while others pay the price.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 11:00 AM, NavyCruiser said:

I'm sorry, but is it just me that's feeling like NYC & NY state Politicians keep crying wolf about all their medical supply shortages, medical emergencies, & warzone scenarios.  Federal & other municipal resources pour in, then they don't know what to do with it.

The news I get, from 2000 miles away, is NYC hospitals are overfilled with chaotic emergencies, with overflows into the hallways, then a 1000 bed floating hospital shows up, but no use for it...

Think about it this way, it is good that the ship isn’t overwhelmed with the patients that it can treat. That means the general public in NYC is staying in hiding and not going out with the chance of hurting themselves.  Therefore the pressure on the ship is less. As The Chief said, it is a secondary centre for select treatment. 

17 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

If it’s converted to handle COVID19, wouldn’t it be better served to support the military?  What about sick sailors and marines onboard the Roosevelt?  Don’t they deserve better?

They do deserve better, as well as the Captain that was shown the door when he stood up for his crew. 

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Seems that the former Roosevelt Captain has it now😪

That is not unexpected, but extremely unfortunate.

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

President Trump just said Comfort is ready to take COVID cases.👍

For real or just he just said it is ready?  Are they just masking the crew and sending in patients I wonder?  Chief said it would take a lot to prepare the ship properly for COVID patients, and the ship has maybe been there a week, maybe less. 

53 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I hope to God that I'm wrong, and they have actually reconfigured for this to work, and this isn't just a bunch of politicians talking while others pay the price.  Fingers crossed.

For some reason I’d go with the second option, but if they are taking patients I pray they are reconfigured.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Crew member on USNS Comfort has tested positive for COVID19. 

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

About two months according to this: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

That website has now expanded their model to include countries and subparts of countries in Europe.  Italy, for example, is 10 days past their peak and should be at about 10 deaths per day on May 1, and zero deaths in mid-May:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/italy

Other parts of Northern Europe are projected to a have a few difficult weeks ahead:

http://www.healthdata.org/news-release/new-covid-19-forecasts-europe-italy-spain-have-passed-peak-their-epidemics-uk-early-its

The site does say that social distancing is a very important element in their model.  If social distancing restrictions don't hold, numbers will be higher.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

They do deserve better, as well as the Captain that was shown the door when he stood up for his crew. 

It’s not easy for those that haven’t served in the military, especially during War Time, the most sacred rule/oath, is to follow chain of command. There is a Fleet Commander aboard the Roosevelt in addition to the Captain. Typically, it’s a Rear Admiral or higher. It’s my understanding, the Captain went around the chain of command. If true, then I could see the NAVY relieving from his duties. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It’s not easy for those that haven’t served in the military, especially during War Time, the most sacred rule/oath, is to follow chain of command. There is a Fleet Commander aboard the Roosevelt in addition to the Captain. Typically, it’s a Rear Admiral or higher. It’s my understanding, the Captain went around the chain of command. If true, then I could see the NAVY relieving from his duties. 

I am very good friends with the wife of someone who has served with the Ex CO.    the PTB had no choice but to remove him, regardless of their personal opinion on his  command ability or the massage he imparted.  the Navy sets great store on doing things a certain way, and he didn't.   it sucks royally, because he was only doing what was in the best interest of his crew and he knew it would  FUBAR his career.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It would appear he tried that and got nowhere

• Like 1